Chapter 3

The Number Twelve

The only thing I could say about the situation was that it was unusual. I walked to school in the morning like I did every day; my disconnected earphones were resting in my ears and my hands were stuffed into my pockets. The only difference was that I was watching where I was going in the morning so I wouldn’t end up on the ground again.

EXO was there, like they always were. They stood in front of the gate, talking amongst themselves and winking at girls that passed them. It was slightly disgusting and I had felt disappointment filling my chest, since I was trying to convince myself they weren’t as bad as they seemed.

I was obviously wrong, though, because Sehun had wrapped an arm around a stranger, though his hand was actually on her and instead of freaking out, she squealed and shook her .

I thought about waiting somewhere for a while and then going to the school later or whenever I felt like they wouldn’t be around, but I knew it wouldn’t help. I had already seen them be like this several times before and didn’t expect anything to change.

Bowing my head, I prayed that I would be invisible long enough to get to the school building. It almost worked. I had gotten past half of the group before someone had noticed me.

“Yah ! Get back here and greet them.” It was the girl that was held by Sehun. I recognized her voice as the one that had slapped me the day before. Oh the anger that built as I heard her voice wasn’t healthy.

Usually, I didn't resort to violence. I had no need to, since I was invisible, but something switched in me after meeting EXO. I don't know what it was, but there was this need to defend myself and Jimin had activated it just then. I turned around to look at her, and she flinched as she looked back into my hardened eyes. She even stepped behind Sehun as if he could shield her from me. I didn’t even bother to look at the EXO members, as they weren’t any of my concern.

“Come here.” I said, and she flinched once more before stepping further behind Sehun.

“I said to come here and face me like a woman!”

She got the message then, biting her lip in fear as she stepped away from Sehun and closer to me. The EXO members tensed as they glanced between us, though some of them had stared at me in worry.

“Myung Ji, calm down.” Suho spoke calmly, but when I turned my glare over to him, even he had flinched slightly.

“Calm down? If you idiots would have left me alone I wouldn’t be in this position right now.”

“Yah! Who do you-“

When the girl started threatening me again, my glare returned to her, and I raised my hand upon instinct. I didn't exactly register what I was doing in my head. All I knew was that my hand was in the air for a few seconds. Her eyes widened as she stared at my hand, and a moment later, I had slapped her as repayment for the slap she had given me the day before.

All of a sudden, I found my hand raised and her eyes widened as she stared at my hand. What? Hadn’t I already slapped her? I didn’t understand why my hand was raised and her face wasn’t red. With my eyes narrowed, I slapped- Baekhyun.

Baekhyun had stepped in front of the girl right before I slapped him and his face snapped to the side when I slapped it. A big red hand print was on his face as he looked back at me, and then he was cradling his face in pain.

He was known as a diva and this was precisely why. He was overdramatic and short, much like a girl. He also enjoyed makeup, the strange male he is. He had ruled the school as its Queen while he still attended, for some reason, so a lot of girls looked up to him.

“O-oppa!” The girl stuttered, but before she could help him, Chanyeol had stepped forward and gently patted her head.

“You should go. We’ll take care of it from here.”

I wanted to stop her, of course, but as she hurried away in her high heels and I turned to follow her, someone had pulled on the back of my blazer.

“What were you thinking?” Suho asked, and though a small portion of my heart dropped at the sound of disappointment in his voice, my eyebrow rose in anger.

“You could have hurt her.”

 Before I could retort and accuse them of being biased, as they had only defended her and not me, D.O. put a hand on my shoulder.

“Girls like her only know how to step on each other to get what they want. We thought you were better that, Myung Ji.”

D.O. wasn’t the boy’s real name either, but it was a lot easier to remember than his actual name. He looked innocent enough with his wide chocolate eyes and heart-shaped lips, but he was part of EXO and none of them were innocent.

I easily knocked his hand off of me and scoffed as I made my way towards the school, “You know nothing about me.”

No one stopped me that time, to my relief. I knew I shouldn’t have mixed myself in with the drama that followed EXO. They were all rude and disgusting and did nothing to help anyone other than themselves. Of course they would defend her when she was beautiful and would easily allow them to use her as a play toy.

It disgusted me, and perhaps that was why people stopped and stared at me as I walked through the hallways to get to class. That, or the girl had gotten to them. Well, I knew her name to be Jimin, but she was a nuisance and I was tempted to look for her during lunch to beat her up for real.

I wasn’t allowed to, though, because when I stopped by my locker to get my lunch, I noticed that Kai had somehow found me. I was still annoyed with EXO, so I slammed my locker shut and turned to walk away, but Kai had pulled me by the wrist and slammed me against the locker.

He was furious, it seemed, as he looked at me. I tried pushing him, but whether it was because he was angry or something else, but he was too strong for me to push him away. My back buzzed with pain as I hit the locker door, but my glare matched his easily.

“What do you want?” I couldn’t help the anger, especially when I realized my lunch had hit the ground and spilled all over.

I swear Kai snarled as he held me there and for some reason had brought his lips to my ear as he spoke, “Don’t you get it? For a person like you with no money and no family, the second you get into trouble they’ll be after you no matter what you do. Jimin has those things, they won’t care if she does anything. If you were to have gotten caught, your days of being invisible would be over, Myung Ji.”

My anger dissipated at once as I absorbed his explanation. His grip on me had slowly gone slack as well, as he realized I was actually listening to the things he had to say. As soon as it left, however, it returned and I shoved him off of me. Kai stumbled in surprise and looked back at me. Though the anger he had before left, I knew he was frustrated with me.

“Why?! Why me? Whether I get into trouble or not has nothing to do with you twelve. Before yesterday you didn’t even know who I was, so why is it now that you care so much for me?”

He let out a deep sigh and leaned down to pick up my destroyed lunch. I was glad that the hallways were clear, so the two of us didn’t catch too much attention. He walked away then, not bothering to look back at me and not even bothering to apologize for my ruined lunch.

“It’s too late for us, Myung Ji, but it’s not too late for you.”

“Ah, that idiot.” When I heard someone else’s voice from behind me, I found Chen standing there with two different bags for lunch. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t know much about Chen, so I was wary of him for several reasons.

“I took two lunches today, fortunately. Do you want one?”

I wanted to say no, I really did, but when my stomach growled, I only looked away and blushed. He chuckled as he walked over to me and placed a bag in my hands.

“What do you want in return?” I asked him, my eyes on the bag of food in my hands. There was a small container of what seemed to be rice in there and another of something similar to kimbap.

“In return?” He asked, and he pondered it for a moment, before eventually sitting on the ground and leaning against the lockers,

“Eat with me.”

So I did. After my argument with Kai, I was a little hesitant to continue spending time with any of the EXO members. I had no idea what they wanted with me but they seemed adamant in invading my life. Chen had held onto my leg, though, promising he wouldn’t ask again after this one time.

Spending time with him was a lot easier than I thought it would be, as he was easy to get along with and kept conversation light and cheerful. I learned that he had the tendency to prank his friends, and when I leaned away in worry, he looked at me with a mischievous spark in his eye.

By the middle of our lunch together, I had decided that Chen was one of my favorites of the EXO group. He didn’t force himself on me and didn’t feel like a threat. I was comfortable with him and he could tell. Unfortunately, so could the other five EXO members that still attended school with us.

I wasn’t sure of what possessed him to do it, but Kai had returned with my lunch box in one hand and a tray of food in the other. I watched him closely, noticing the small frown on his face when he noticed the food in my hand.

“That looks awfully familiar.” Kai muttered, and both of our eyes widened as Chen laughed. I understood it immediately, and so did Kai. With a grumble and a glare towards Chen, Kai slid down against the locker beside me and looked at the food on the tray.

“I guess I’ll eat this, then.”

“I can help you finish it!” My eyes widened once more when Chanyeol charged at us and threw himself beside Kai with his mouth watering.

“No, you giant elf!” Kai sputtered, turning his body so Chanyeol wouldn’t see it. With a grin, Chen had leaned over me and pulled the plate of food off of the tray, hiding it behind his back.

Okay, so maybe Chen wasn’t my favorite after all.

“Oh, this is delicious, hyung. Where did you get it?” When a voice called from behind Chen, the four of us slowly turned to see both Tao and Sehun eating the food on the tray.

When noticing I was there, the two of them tensed and looked at the other three. Chanyeol was also tensing beside Kai, and I wasn’t sure when, but D.O. had arrived and looked at us like what we were doing was completely unexpected. I wasn’t sure of why they tensed like that for a moment, but when I saw the look of irritation crossing Tao’s eyes, I realized what it was.

They were three of the several EXO members that weren’t fond of me. Unlike Chen and apparently Kai, these boys thought my presence was nothing but a nuisance. Knowing that I had overstayed my welcome, I got to my feet and took my container back from Kai.

“Thank you for the food.” I muttered this and walked away towards my next class. I was thankful it neared the end of the day so I wouldn’t be left with them and ruin their time together for much longer

“Let’s do this again sometime!” Chen called after me, but I didn’t have the heart to answer him. We had already decided it would only happen once, and after the way I had argued with Kai and the way the others had reacted to my presence, I knew my instincts about EXO had been right.

It wasn’t even like I wanted to be part of them, so why did it matter what they thought of me?