story

little black swan

  The gates opened with a loud clang that resonance throughout the whole room. He opened his eyes, immediately squinting at the bright light peeking through. A male figure stood in the middle, seeming like an angel sent from heaven. But Kai scoffed, knowing if there was an angel, it was only to drag him back to hell. To be thrown in the middle of the circle, under the watchful gazes of curious foolish eyes. He hung his head, letting his dark wings cover him like a cacoon. They were so dusty, spotting a grey rather than magnificent black it originally was. He reached out, and touched the feathers, smiling bitterly. How he used to dream of the beauty that was caging him.

  "Kai?"

  His wings uncurled themselves around him, spreading wide. He didn't have to look up to hear the shocked gasp. He didn't want to look up to see the look on the person's face. He had seen many people looking at him like a piece of meat, eyes raking up and down his figure. Some looking eager and excited, a few stared with so much longing that all he could do was squirm. While the others seemed despair unsure what to make of his display. As if he was didn't live up to their expectations, as if he disappointed them when he barely knew them.

  "Kai. Kai. Kai."

  He silently scoffed, the guy's calling him as if he was some kind of stubborn animal. Maybe in his eyes, Kai was.

  "Jongin look at me."

  His wings seemed ruffled at the mere whisper. He frowned, wondering what of it could have made them so disturbed.

  He looked up slowly only to meet with a pair of amber eyes that he had longed so much.

  "Hyung!"

  The older guy quickly placed a finger on his lips, a universal sign to stay quiet. Kai didn't need to be told twice to do so. But he leaned forward, momentarily forgetting the chains, trying to reach out to the angel he's waited for.

  After all those years, he looked so different. The beige wings that had matched well with the older's soft features were gone. Along with the armour he had won in their earlier days. Before Kai stood a man that finally looked his age, his brown locks styled down in a neat way, matching his blue suit. Kai smiled softly, of course he waould choose blue instead of the classic look.

  "Luhan hyung," he whispered, fearing the angel before him would disappear, would morphe into the monster that had torn them apart. "What happened to your wings?"

  Luhan smiled gently at the younger, letting the tips of their fingers touched, "I had to get them cut off when I got out. Can't have them around, when you're trying to go into hiding."

  Kai jerked back his hand, feeling a flood of memories rushed in. He remembered Luhan. He remembered praying for Luhan. He remembered crying on nights when he longed for the other's warmth. His wings only seemed to make things colder. He remembered being strapped to a chair, interrogated about Luhan's disappearance. He remembered watching life leaving DO, when he didn't have the answers they wanted. He remembered screaming until he nearly lost his voices, begging for them to let Suho go. To let them all go.

  "You left us," he said, quietly eyes darkening at the remnants of his broken memory.

  "I know-"

  "No, you don't," he spat out, because he didn't. He can act like he did, but his little act had coused so much pain on them "DO hyung is dead. Suho kept drowning. Baekhyun hyung was forced to blind the ones he loved. Chanyeol hyung has burnt marks on his skin. Chen has been tested so many times, he kept trying to shock himself to death. Xiumin hyung kept having hypothermia. And Sehun."

  He stopped, choking at the thought of his best friend. But Luhan deserved to know, he deserved to know what he did to them.

  Kai looked at him straight in the eyes, "They're tearing his wings off so painfully slow that he can barely do anything but writh in pain."

  Luhan looked so weak, so filled with guilt that Kai nearly felt bad for letting him know. Nearly.

  "I never meant for any of those things to happen to you guys," Luhan told him, earnestly. "I'm sorry. I know nothing I say will change what happened, but I really am sorry."

  "Why didn't you take me with you?" Kai asked, quietly. "Why did you leave me behind?"

  Luhan was heartbroken at the sight of the thin dark man that had replaced the younger excited boy when they first met. But despite the heavy feeling on his chest, even he, himself couldn't answer the question.

  "You promised you'd get us both out. Together."

  "You were their golden boy," Luhan told him, trying to reason. "If I took you with me, they would have easily killed the others."

  "I'd rather they die, than have them go through what they're going through now," Kai replied, darkly. "At least they'll have Kyungsoo hyung waiting for them."

  Luhan could only tell him, "It wasn't the right time back then."

  "And now it is?" the younger asked, laughing at the pathethic answer.

  "Yes."

  The one simple answer had his eyes fleeting towards the older with a glint of hope, even when he tried to tell himself not to expect much.

  Luhan smiled at the younger, warmly, "I found Yifan, and Tao. He's the one who brought us here."

  The other could only look at him with so many un asked questions. Luhan reached out for his hands, not bothered by the fact that he can only reach till the end of the fingers, "But first, I need you to tell me your name."

  "Kai," he answered without hesitant.

  The other looked so disappointed by the answer, that it made Kai confused.

  "Jongin. Kim Jongin," Luhan told him. "Say it."

  "Kim Jong-"

  His dark black wings immediately curled themselves around him, throwing Luhan off.

  "Hyung!"

  "It's alright Kai, everything will be fine," a familiar voice said, assuredly. A voice tha had given him comfort during many lonely nights.

  But right there and then, all he could think of was something Luhan had called him earlier.

  Jongin!

  He could barely look up before a burning pain hit him. He arched his back, screaming in agony. He tried to disappear. He wanted to disappear. He wanted to go away. But each time he tried, he could feel the chains on his back tugging him. The same chains that was burning hot right then. The same chains that he could feel trying to claw into his skin even as they were peeled off.

  Suddenly it was gone, leaving behind a dull ache. His body went limp, his fingers finally felt the touch of his mattress. He just wanted to disappear, slip away into a deep sleep.

  He wasn't given the chance to when someone rushed over to him, pulling him into a tight hug. He couldn't respond, he was too tired.

  "Jongin, Jongin, Jongin, it's over," Luhan's voice whispered to in his ear. "It's over."

  Jongin looked up at him, "It's over? I can leave now?"

  "Yes, yes," Luhan said, in a way that Jongin knew the older was holding back his tears. "You can leave. You can go wherever you want."

  "Hyung, come with me," he said, weakly, letting his head fall on to the other's shoulder.

  "You can take me wherever you want," Luhan said, pressing his lips on the younger's head. He turned to the two blondes by the burning fire, shooting a grateful look.

  Thank you, he wanted to tell them. But Jongin had always been an impatient boy, and they had disappeared before he could do so.

~~~

So ahem, this was actually fun. I'm not much of a LuKai shipper myself, but I find that this particular bit suited them.

But then again, it is nearly 2 in the morning here, and this was written on impulse so my judgement might not be at it's finest.

This is at the very least related to their 'powers'.

Thank you for reading. Hope you enjoyed it~~~

leave me your thoughts.