Chapter 89

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinsu was in a state of near shock when Baekhyun appeared at the base of the steps leading up into the station.  She hadn’t been quite enough out of it not to find herself cover, because if anything the rain was even worse than it had been before with a fully fledged storm overhead, but she didn’t have a coat and she was cold and shivering so violently her teeth rattled in her head.

She almost expected him to tell her off for letting herself get into such a state, but the very first thing he did when he reached her was shrug off his coat.

“Come here,” he murmured, pulling her closer so that he could put it on her.  It was a little too big, but that was perfect because it was still warm from his body heat and it covered her hands and the sleeve paws she involuntarily ended up with made her feel safe because they meant Baekhyun.

Zipping up the front of the jacket, Baekhyun pulled her into a hug.

“You poor thing, you’re absolutely drenched,” he told her sympathetically.  Jinsu sank gratefully against his body, closing her eyes and basking in his body heat.  Completely naturally, he tucked her under his chin and pulled her closer.  “It’s okay now.  You’re safe.”

It was amazing just how calming Baekhyun’s mere presence was.  Or maybe it was the comfort of being in his arms, or his soothing voice.  Little by little, Jinsu felt the tension beginning to leave.  Baekhyun was obviously able to sense it too, because just when Jinsu had got to the stage where she would happily have fallen asleep standing there with his arms wrapped around her on the steps up to the station, he loosened his hold and took a half step back.

“Let’s get going,” he recommended softly, his hand slipping down into hers.  “I rang Chanyeol on the way over.  We’re going to stay with him tonight.”

Jinsu just about managed to make a noise of confusion that Baekhyun correctly interpreted as why?  I thought we were going to your house.

“There isn’t really space at mine,” he admitted as he flagged down a taxi.  “And I’m also not completely sure how I’d explain the daughter of Park Jiwoon sleeping on the floor in the front room to my parents yet.”

The taxi ride was incredibly comfortable.  Beyond exhausted, Jinsu curled up on the seat with her head in Baekhyun’s lap, and he gently massaged her scalp for the entire ride.  He didn’t pry about what had happened, either, apparently content to wait until she was ready to tell him.  Until his gentle hands were propelling her upright and he murmured that she needed to get out of the taxi, she didn’t even realise that she’d practically dozed off.  Snug against Baekhyun’s side and barely awake, she stumbled a few steps in the rain and then into warmth, her cousin’s deep voice several tones deeper with sleepiness as he asked what had happened.

“I don’t know,” Baekhyun responded, rubbing careful, calming circles on Jinsu’s back.  “I don’t want to push her, Yeol – she was in a bit of a state when I got to her and the only thing I really gathered from her when she rang me was that she didn’t feel safe going back into her house.”

“Well, ,” Chanyeol mumbled.  Jinsu heard a monster yawn, and her body automatically responded with one of her own.  “I’m gonna see if I can get hold of Jimin hyung.  You can put her in my sister’s room – she’s not here at the moment.  You okay with that, Jin?”

Jinsu was too tired to object to that if she’d wanted to, but the prospect of bed and safety was way too good to pass up on.

 

Aunt Mira woke Jinsu up at seven the next morning with breakfast in bed and a gentle hair ruffle.  Chanyeol or Baekhyun must have told her why she was there, because she didn’t ask any questions, just checked Jinsu was happy and comfortable before returning with the two boys and a bowl of seaweed soup.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both appeared very awkward about wishing her a happy birthday, probably because of what had happened during the night.  As Jinsu set about demolishing breakfast, Chanyeol perched on the bed near her legs and Baekhyun leant against the wall by the door, arms crossed.  He looked absolutely shattered.  Chanyeol only looked a little tired.

“My dad rang your parents first thing,” he informed his cousin.  “Just in case, you know, they were wondering or called the police or something.  I tried to get hold of your brother but he’s not answering his phone.”

Jinsu nodded, chewing thoughtfully on a mouthful of rice.

“Do you want to talk?” Chanyeol asked her, the picture of seriousness.  It was obvious he was worried.

Jinsu grimaced.  She didn’t particularly want to talk about what had happened, not least because to her, her reaction seemed massively over the top.

“I had a massive fight with Dad,” she mumbled, hiding her face behind the bowl of soup, even though it was practically empty.  “He found out about Jongdae and Saeeun and then some journalist was nosing around at Jongin’s party and took loads of photos, so it looks like we’re dating.  He was furious.”

Chanyeol shot a meaningful look at Baekhyun that seemed to say thank goodness you weren’t there.

“H-he does this thing when he’s angry,” Jinsu went on, “where it looks like he’s going to hit something, or he’s throwing something invisible away, and he h-hit M-mum—”

Chanyeol whistled through his teeth.  Jinsu swallowed, feeling hysteria creeping back.

“I-I’m not sure he meant to; she appeared from nowhere, but I don’t know if he might have hit me if she wasn’t there, or if he might have hit me by accident.  A-and—”

Baekhyun moved away from the wall as Chanyeol reached out and wrapped Jinsu in an enormous hug.  Jinsu realised she was crying again.

The bed springs creaked as Baekhyun sat carefully beside them.

“So how did you end up out in the rain?  Were you there long?”

“I don’t know,” Jinsu answered truthfully.  “I panicked.”

Chanyeol’s hug became a bear hug, and one of Baekhyun’s hands slipped into Jinsu’s.

“This is kind of serious,” Chanyeol said with worry to Baekhyun, who made a noise of agreement.  “Jinsu, if you don’t feel up to school today, you’re welcome to stay here.  I’ll explain the situation to my parents – they’re going to want to know what happened anyway because it’s not really normal for you to show up on our doorstep at four in the morning.”

“I think you should sleep, for what it’s worth,” added Baekhyun.  “You still look absolutely bushed.”

Jinsu shook her head rapidly.  “What if my dad comes over here?”

“He’d be here already if that was the case,” Chanyeol pointed out.  “I can tell my parents not to let anyone in.  Baekhyun’s right, though, you must have only had, what, three hours’ sleep?  Take a little time for yourself, yeah?  If you’re feeling up to it I’m sure you can come into school after lunch.”

Grimacing, Jinsu thought about it.  She wasn’t particularly keen on the idea, but her mind was still reeling after the previous day and they were right that she was tired.  She even had the beginnings of a headache.

After a moment or two, she extracted herself from Chanyeol’s grip and lay down, snuggling up under the duvet with a little groan.  It turned into a sigh of satisfaction, and she fell asleep again with Baekhyun’s hand carding through her hair.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter