Chapter 72

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You died.”

Coughing, Jinsu looked up at Baekhyun.  He was sitting on her bed acting as her pillow and trying alternately to persuade her to eat some heated up bulgogi leftovers and trying to explain what had happened.

“It was horrible,” he added with a shudder.

Jinsu vaguely remembered a lot of blood, but she’d lost consciousness and died very quickly, and her memories were a bit hazy.  She accepted the small spoonful of rice Baekhyun brought to and chewed on it slowly.  Her stomach rebelled and she had to stop chewing and take in several deep breaths to get rid of the nausea.  It seemed her body was still adapting to the punishing ordeal it had been put through.

Baekhyun waited until she’d swallowed before speaking again.  “Next time you see Minhwan hanging out of the doors of the Attayear like that, just leave him, yeah?”

Jinsu started coughing again.  “Byun Baekhyun,” she managed to wheeze out as she caught her breath again and he offered her water.  “That’s not very charitable.”

“I care much more about you than I do about him.  Of course it’s not charitable.”

Baekhyun sounded so indignant about it that Jinsu had to laugh, which only set off another coughing fit.

“Easy,” he murmured, offering her water again.

“Why is Minhwan even here?” Jinsu asked once the coughs had subsided.

“I don’t really know,” Baekhyun admitted.  “He said something about a bomb and he must have snuck on when we were leaving the future.  I think I overheard Kris saying something about a security breach, so it must have been him.”

“Where is he now?” Jinsu asked.

“On the main deck.  You’re not in any condition to do anything right now, so I told him if he was that set on playing the responsible hyung that he had to figure out what on earth I’d done to the coding and also to make sure we’re still on track to pick up Jongdae and Sehun and his idiot friend who fell out of the window.  I think he has some coding experience.  He’s definitely good with numbers.”

“Good with numbers and coding are two different things,” Jinsu mumbled as Baekhyun produced another spoonful of food.  She let him feed her.  “Economists are good with numbers.  I wouldn’t want an economist running this thing.”

Baekhyun chuckled.  The sound was warm and very, very comforting.

“When we know what I did,” he said, “we’re going to do the same to everybody who died.  We’ll have Chanyeol back, and Jino, which’ll be great because he can keep Minhwan in order, and a couple of technicians and such.”

“Will it work?”

“You died.  You’re here now, aren’t you?”

“Are you sure I was dead?”

Baekhyun grimaced.  “Yes, Jinsu,” he said, almost as though talking to a child that wouldn’t stop asking stupid question, but sounding a bit miserable at having to confirm it again.

“Will it work on people who’ve been dead for a while?”

“Hopefully.”

“That’s an even more dangerous tool that being able to use time machines for war.”

That shut Baekhyun up.  He looked down at her.

“Would you not use it, then?”

“It’s breaking a grandfather clause.”

“Nobody on this who’s dead is supposed to be dead,” Baekhyun pointed out.  “If you’re going to play grandfather clauses, you could technically classify the existence of time travel as a grandfather clause.”

Jinsu thought about it for a few moments and then reached for more food.  Sighing, Baekhyun let her take hold of the spoon.

“I still think we should use it,” he said, “just this once.”

“We should keep it secret,” Jinsu said.  “Technology has a habit of being rediscovered if it’s made public and used, even if it’s only once.”

It was Baekhyun’s turn to think about things.  “What are we going to do when we get back?” he asked.  “Things in the future will obviously be different, but. . .”  He didn’t quite seem able to finish forming the thought.

“I don’t know,” Jinsu admitted.  “But we’ll have to find some way of holding my father to account.  It’s not going to be easy if it’s our word against his.  At the very least he’s still going to be pushing to prosecute your cousins.  I don’t think it’s beyond him to get your dad lumped in with that like he did in the future, too.  If we start making noises, we’ll get shoved in with that too.”

Baekhyun ran a hand through Jinsu’s hair, combing it back.  “And are you okay with. . . with. . . ?”

“With going against him?” Jinsu asked.  “Honestly?  I don’t know.  He turns me into a nervous wreck.”

Baekhyun prodded her nose.  “Nervous wreck is one thing you most definitely are not, babe.”

Wrinkling her nose, Jinsu batted his hand out of the way and helped herself to more food.  “Don’t call me that.”

“What, babe?  But it’s cute.”

“I don’t like it.  It has too many connotations that just aren’t me.”

“Such as?”

Jinsu hastily swallowed her mouthful.  “Well, for one, I’m not a babe.  Or, for that matter, a baby.”

It got an amused snort from Baekhyun.  “All right, teen.”

“That’s even worse.”

 

An unamused Minhwan woke them up by knocking on the door half an hour later.  Jinsu had dozed off after managing to eat and Baekhyun had curled up protectively around her, tucking her head under his chin.

“If Jinsu’s well enough,” he announced, “she needs to come down and look at this coding, because I can barely access any of it, let alone understand it.  As for trajectory, whatever the machine did to bring Jinsu back, it halted the rest of the Attayear in its tracks and it guzzled a phenomenal amount of fuel.  We have enough to make it to Mongolia and back without too much problem, but I recommend not trying too many of these revival things until we know we have enough fuel not to get stranded somewhere undesirable.”

Baekhyun just nodded curtly and waited for him to go away.  When the door didn’t shut, Jinsu struggled into a sitting position and leant forward curiously, trying to see what was going on.

“Before we go about any of this,” Minhwan said, his voice much lower, “I want to have a word.”

Looking distrustful, Baekhyun took a step back and gestured for Minhwan to come in.  Jinsu didn’t really appreciate that, since it was her room, but she kept quiet.

“In private,” Minhwan added.

Baekhyun glanced across at Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter