Chapter 43

Attayear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a tiring day of coding and teaching Baekhyun coding and then putting up with Baekhyun’s inability to shut up, the last thing Jinsu really wanted to do was go back to the computers.  It was hard to refuse Junmyeon and he didn’t leave until Jinsu had agreed that she would.  Besides, if the situation with food was as bad as he said, they probably did need to stop and take stock of things rather than just letting the time machine continue to move around the timestream while they drained their supplies and resources.

Still, she didn’t want anybody breathing down her neck while she tried to figure out the best way to instruct the Attayear to land – if she was capable of doing it.  While Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were still busy poking fun at each other, she slipped away to go down to the main deck and kicked Kyuhyun and Junmyeon out so that she could work by herself.  She was going to need Baekhyun to finalise the command if she could actually figure out the right ones, but having just a little time without him (or anybody else) would be nice.  Very nice.  Necessary for her sanity.  Much nicer if it was prolonged for several hours, or even a couple of days.  More than anything else, she needed a decent amount of time to get her head around the fact that he wasn’t being horrible to her.  It wasn’t that that wasn’t welcome – far from it – but even with the apology and his subsequent over-friendliness, it was very difficult to forget how he’d treated her for so long at school.  She needed space, and she needed Baekhyun not to treat her like she was suddenly his best friend because it felt like he was overstepping a social boundary, like somebody who assumed they knew everything about you after spending ten minutes in your presence, or a person who assumed they could be familiar with you and use a nickname when you hadn’t told them it was okay.  It wasn’t that she didn’t want him to be nice, because heaven only knew how long she’d been yearning for him to drop the hatred he had towards her, but she needed it to be done at her pace, when she was ready to accept it, and without seemingly blocking the past out.

It was a complicated mess, basically.  With a sigh, she dragged her chair closer to the monitors and swallowed down a yawn.  This could take a while.

And of course, she wasn’t even twenty minutes in, and so square-eyed from a day in front of computers that she was almost falling asleep, before somebody plopping into a chair and drawing it up beside her started her fully back into consciousness.

“Are you sure landing’s a good idea?” Baekhyun asked.  “Will we have enough fuel to get going again?  We could be stuck for weeks.”  He squinted at the code Jinsu had been attempting to modify and deleted a row of zzzzs for her.

“Go away,” she mumbled at him, trying to pick the keyboard up and drag it closer towards her.

She was just about awake enough to be able to process the look on Baekhyun’s face as bordering on concern.

“I think you need help,” he told her.  “Not that kind of help, but just. . . well, look at you.  You’re almost asleep, Park.  If you tell me what needs doing, I’ll try to do it.”

Jinsu tried to blink herself awake and let out a massive yawn.  “I don’t know what needs doing yet so I can’t tell you.  Just go away.  Please.”

“You’re going to need me to authorise—”

Jinsu dropped her head back onto the keyboard.  “God, I’ll call you when I need you, Baekhyun, just p*ss off!”

She knew that he hesitated before leaving because it was at least four seconds before a soft rustle of clothing and footsteps receded.  For good measure, Jinsu kept her head down for almost half a minute before she heard the door click shut.  A couple of tears leaked out of the corners of her eyes as she sat up, unsure whether she was crying from tiredness or because she was upset.  With great reluctance, she dragged herself back to the task at hand.

It was not remotely hard to understand why Kyuhyun and Junmyeon had given up.  From what Jinsu had so far seen, getting the Attayear to land was the area of Tardis coding that the virus was most determined to destroy.  When she and Minseok had been working on it together, it had actually been possible – just about – to try to analyse what was going on, which was how Minseok had managed to formulate large parts of his counter-virus.  Now, the coding from both the virus and the antivirus was evolving and mutating so quickly that it was all just a blur on the screen and Jinsu wasted a large amount of time trying to slow it down or getting it to just pause for long enough to read what was going on before her tired brain managed to inform her that it was genuinely futile.  She was going to have to find a way around it.  But. . . how?

 

The general hum of electronics was still present when she woke up, still feeling shattered and her body a little stiff.  She was warm, though, much warmer than she would have expected.  Groggily trying to figure out where she was, Jinsu lifted her head and squinted around.  The room was dark, but the multiple LED lights informed her that she was still with the central computer bank.  She must have drifted off.

A blanket that somebody had tucked around her slipped down from her shoulders as she sat up properly, her hair falling in her face.  Her sling had been removed as well, the material lying over a shallow cushion on the keyboard where she had. . . been resting her head.  Jinsu frowned, disorientated.  Why was she— right, getting the Attayear to land.  Which she’d promised Junmyeon she’d do before the next morning.

Yawning some oxygen into her system, Jinsu rubbed her face as vigorously as she could with both hands without hurting her injured fingers, and attempted to recall exactly what she’d been working on while she’d drifted off to sleep.  She only really got as far as telling Baekhyun to get lost when she winced with the realisation that she was going to have to find him, probably turf him out of bed (he wasn’t going to like that and she was already dreading it) and convince him to come and help her on that front when he was probably not going to be interested in doing so since she’d been rude to him.  Sighing, Jinsu picked up the sling and attempted to put her arm back into it.  It took several tries, and it was only when her hand was finally settled that she realised a piece of paper was in it.

Disgruntled, and almost worried she’d given herself a papercut from the sharp prick against her skin that had alerted her to the paper’s presence, Jinsu fiddled around until she got it out.  She had to narrow her eyes at it in the near darkness to make out what was written on it.

After the notes from the mystery chef, it wasn’t hard to recognise Baekhyun’s handwriting.

I’m not sure what I did wrong and I didn’t want to make you more angry or upset/disturb you or anything, so rather than bringing you to bed, I brought bed to you.

With the landing, I think I understood what you were trying to do with lowering the Attayear’s timestream vacuum barriers.  I haven’t authorised anything, but I’ve tried to put in all the correct settings for you and left it so all it should need is the authorisation.  It might be wrong, but I wanted to help.  Please go to bed.

Jinsu smiled wanly.  It wasn’t long before the smile turned into a tired but full-blown one.  She felt warmed.  And she probably wasn’t going to have to face Grouchy Baekhyun after all.  Stifling another yawn and attempting to ignore the protesting pit in her stomach that insisted she needed a mountain of food before she did anything, she went to check the Attayear settings that she’d been working on as she drifted off to sleep.

Baekhyun had indeed made alterations for her, and the majority of them were correct – or as correct as Jinsu could verify them to be, which wasn’t necessarily saying much.  There were a few errors in the coding he’d attempted to finish off for her and some areas where some settings or parts of the code he’d modified were too simplistic for the task at hand and needed something much more sophisticated, but a job she thought she’d only got about thirty percent done was now sitting at ninety-five, and Jinsu couldn’t bring herself to summon up the bitterness she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter