Chapter Two

GUMIHO NO AI

Chapter Two

 

My Oba-Chan is the best Gumiho according to the manuscripts that I’ve read today. She was the first one to summon or to have three sacred wolves as her guardian. Maybe it’s the reason why she is still able to live even if I’ve been uncovered as the new Gumiho of our clan.

 

“Are you worried Ai?” My Oba-Chan said in a relaxed manner. “Death is just a door to a new life and besides I’ve lived 900 years already.” She jokily said.

 

“I-I’m scared Oba-Chan…” I clenched my hands on her lovely kimono.  

 

“It’s normal to be scared you’re still a human after all. You’ll be able to take over the clan once I’m dead. That’s probably tomorrow night on a full moon.” She smiled “Oh, you shouldn’t stay longer you have school right?” She reminded me.

 

Oh right! I have school this afternoon. Sigh. Even if it’s my birthday I still need to go to school and this revelation about our clan is too much to handle. I wish this was just a dream. Meanwhile, Kei, my guardian wolf is standing beside the sliding door and I’m really not used to see him in his gorgeous human form. He’s holding my bag and books. I think he wants me to go to school now. I politely bowed to my grandmother and waved at my older sisters.

 

We walked down the hill towards that shrine. Our house is located deeply in the forest and the only place to reach civilization is to pass the shrine.

 

“Your bento is inside if you get hungry you have 500 yen in your pencil case. “ Kei said looking straight ahead. His purple eyes are really captivating. “What’s the matter?” He said looking at me. I didn’t realize that I was looking at him since we started to walk.

 

“It’s just… I couldn’t imagine that you could be a human.” I said looking on the muddy ground that we’re walking on. Geez, Why am I nervous around him. He’s been my wolf since I was born and has watched over me since then.

 

“It’s easier for me to protect you in this form. Also, now that you’ve become the Gumiho the other wolves and I have raised the barrier so be home before 9pm.” He warned.

 

“Why?” I asked stupidly.

 

He flicked my forehead and whispered “Because right now, I can’t step outside the barrier and you’re a walking fried chicken to all phantoms and demons outside.” His purple eyes sharpen. He leaned downward and touched my beaded earrings. I was so stupid pouting my lip and closing my eyes as if he’s going to kiss me. “Never take these earrings off. These can conceal your nine tails, foxy ears and smell. Those phantoms would be dying to eat you, considering your nice smell.” He sniffs my hair gently.

 

“E-eh? What?! I’m a walking buffet for those phantoms and you’re not going to protect me.” I shouted at him.

 

“Only for now, once you’ve made me your sacred guardian, I’ll follow your anywhere.” His words were absolute. He looked in deep pain and it was really hard for him to let me leave the area.

 

“How can I do that?” I demanded. “How can I make you my sacred guardian?”

 

He murmured into my ears. “You have to be one with me.” What the hell? I immediately distanced myself from him while my face was beaming red. “Idiot, I’m messing with you.” He smirked then patted my head. “On a full moon we will perform another ritual. That ritual will abdicate the current Gumiho-“

 

“My Grandmother…”  I interrupted Kei in a lonely manner.

 

He continued “Yes, you know the consequence of that…” he reminded me. Of course, I am aware of the fact that my Oba-Chan will die soon. Kei is the replacement for my Oba-Chan’s life.

 

“In order to live for 900 years she will die…” I looked up to Kei waiting for him to speak but he just looked at the sky and said, “To die will be an awfully big adventure…” then he smiled at me. I don’t know why but it made feel that everything will be okay soon as long as he is beside me.

 

We’re near the exit of the shrine. Kei stood next to the well and told me that this is as far as he can accompany me. A tall hair man was standing beside the arc. He waved at me and I hurriedly approached him. He grabbed my waist and kissed me passionately. “Happy birthday my princess” Shin, my boyfriend for two years handed his gift to me.

 

“Tch! Bastard…” The elegant grey wolf scowled.

 

Chapter Two: The wolf and his Master