CHAPTER 3

Will you be okay?

 

I’m meeting Choa today. We’re going out, for the very last time, because she’s going to get married. Because she’s taken. Because she’s no longer mine, but it’s okay, because she’s happy so, I have to be happy too. Am I right? I got ready, putting my best outfit. A buttoned up long sleeve light blue shirt and pale brown chinos. I walked out of the house feeling excited but at the same time a little upset. Mixed feelings. My stomach was filled with butterflies, it felt like the first time I went on a date with Choa. However, things were a little different this time.

 

‘Choa-ya, where are you? I’m under your apartment.’ I called her through my phone.

‘Down, I’m coming down.’

 

I waited in my car patiently while playing with my phone.

Park Ye Won……….. I’m excited for today.

 

It wasn’t long until Choa came down in her light blue knee-length dress. We matched. She got into the car happily and put on her seatbelt.

 

‘Oh, Oppa! We match!’ she said in surprise before digging for something in her bag. ‘This is for you. But you can’t open it now. Open it when you get home today.’ She put the purple box on my lap nicely. I looked at her and gave her a slight smile. I took the box and placed it at the back of the car. I grab my stirring wheel and headed off to our destination.

 

Choa really wanted to visit the amusement park with me since she could not before this because of her father. So here we are, at the Amusement Park. There were indeed many rides and places to visit but most importantly, there were so many citizens around as well. It is indeed true that the weekends will always be filled with people, but I didn’t know it would be this many. I haven’t been to an amusement park since 4 years old so no doubt, I am quite surprised. Choa started pulling me to every ride there was and I have to admit, she’s quite brave for a woman.

 

The ride that we were queuing up for was no joke. T-Express. This was by far the worst rollercoaster I’ve seen in my entire life. I was literally shaky all over but Choa,.. Choa was beaming. She was excited and she kept watching the other riders screaming at the top of their voices. I was getting a little uneasy. The ride is seriously mad. The amount of ups and downs and turns are outrageous. I salute those who are able to ride them. Our turn was coming and I knew that there was no turning back, especially when Choa is grabbing on my arm. I was afraid.

 

‘Choa, y..you sure you want to do this?’ I asked, trying my best to not sound afraid but my stuttering gave way.

‘Why oppa? You scared?’

And from then, I knew I messed up. So much for being manly.

A few minutes past and we were sitting in the ride. My mind was already dizzy but I kept a straight face while anticipating the ride. I’m sure it wouldn’t be so dangerous. Am I right?

The ride started off slow. It went up so very slowly. I took a glance at Choa’s face but she seemed to be okay with it. ‘Choa are you okay?’ I asked and she just gave a nod. ‘yes oppa, take care of yourself first.’

 

I acknowledged her answer and decided to look out for myself. The ride then took a slightly faster right turn before letting us go down, vertically. Everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs, even Choa. My eyes were peeled open with my hands grabbing tight onto the safety bar. I saw every turn and every downward track and I was still dying from how fast this ride is. I was reciting my prayers a million times when Choa grabbed onto my arm still screaming. How am I safer than the safety belt? I’m probably the one that’s going to drown her. I just grabbed her hand and kept it near me. Don’t ask me how I did it, I just did it. After a few long seconds, the ride was finally over and many voices were heard. I let out a sigh of relief when we came to a proper stop. Choa opened her eyes and laughed. ‘Oppa, you’re so pale, oh my god.’ I touched my face. I think I lost my soul. I got out of the ride and brought her out as well. I am so embarrassed eventhough Choa seemed to have lost her soul too. We went down the stairs with shaky legs. Choa was really unstable and was depending on me a lot but she was still putting a smile. As usual, Choa’s competitive spirit is no joke. As long as I don’t say I give up, she wouldn’t too. We took a seat at a nearby bench and rested. I was so thankful we didn’t had anything heavy.

 

‘Look at that, if we had Lunch just now, we would be like him.’ I said, pointing out to a younger boy vomiting like a mad dog. I swear, it was that bad.

‘Oppa! Why are you even looking at him like that? And it’s been hours since we ate. Of course we wouldn’t be like that. Don’t talk about Lunch, where do you want to go for Dinner?’

 

-

 

We decided to head to Passion 5, a restaurant that Choa have been wanting to go with me for a long time. I thought that it was a bad idea. I wouldn’t want to go somewhere that I really want to go with someone I won’t be with forever. I tried to convince Choa not to go but she didn’t want to listen to whatever I said and took the steering instead. Why did I even try?

 

So instead of fighting with her about driving, I sat still in the car. It was going to be about an hour drive from here and I was exhausted but I couldn’t fall asleep. An hour of hell in the car seemed to end so quickly when I kept playing with my phone and distracting myself from all thoughts. We got into the restaurant quick because of Choa. Well, I am not surprised, she is kind of a neat person thus booking a place here way beforehand. It was a quiet dinner. I didn’t know what to talk about and Choa was busy on her phone because of her father. I was not surprised. She might have lied to her father about who she was meeting. I could see it clearly from her eyes. They were desperate.

 

I wanted to see the stars with Choa because it might be my last time. I don’t care how late it is right now, or how many miss calls she’s getting from her fiancé and father, I wanted to see it with her. Call me selfish for not caring about what her family or fiancé would think, I don’t care. I drove my car with Choa sleeping at the back. She must have felt really tired after driving and fighting to stay strong with me. I drove quietly as many thoughts started to run in my mind. I was pressurized the whole day. I could not bring myself to kill Choa but boss wanted me to. He did ask if he should change the assassin but I refused. I know I couldn’t do it but if I have to, I would kill her on my own. Flashes of my mum raced through my mind. Holding in my tears, I took a deep breath and sighed. Fighting with my own thoughts, I didn’t realise that Choa was awake and staring at me through the mirror. I cleared my mind and smiled at her.

 

‘You’re awake. I wanted to bring you here quite a long time ago but I didn’t have the chance to.’  I gave another smile and stepped on the accelerator. It wasn’t long till we reach the area and I was glad that there wasn’t many people around. I got out of the car and got Choa out as well. We walked through grass patches and finally we reached our destination. I was glad that I saw Choa smiling happily today.

 

‘What do you think of the stars? I’m quite pleased that there are a lot today.’ However, my question wasn’t answered. Choa was busy staring at all of them, counting them one by one. I admit, there were a lot. I was fascinated as well.

‘Oh my god oppa, there are like more than 20 here. It so pretty.’

I guess she didn’t know how pretty she looked tonight with her hair in a slight mess due to the light breeze. Moonlight shining down on her as she brought her attention to me. She seemed to be shining in the dark. She was the only one I could see. The only one I want to be with. The only one that’s supposed to be mine. I placed my arm around her as I tried to keep her warm. She looked cold but not as cold as I am. I kept myself from shivering with all I could. I had to.

 

Choa placed her hand on my back and caressed it with care. ‘Oppa, I know, you haven’t moved on from me. I can read you inside out. You don’t have to lie to yourself, you don’t have to lie to me either. Just be truthful. I’m going to be married in less than a week now and I sincerely like the man. He is definitely not as good as you but I can live with it.’ I felt my fist curl up in a ball. I was holding my anger in. I didn’t want to hear anything about that man. I didn’t want her to compare me and him. It was something inhumane. ‘But oppa, I know you’ll be okay and that you’ll be able to move on from me. It something that you’ve been trying to do for the past years and you nearly succeeded but I came back. I know I shouldn’t and I am sorry.’ She faced me and looked down.

 

‘Choa-ya, a..are you happy?’ I asked, holding in all of my tears. She looked surprised with the question but I continued looking at her, waiting patiently for her answer. She took a while to give me an answer. ‘You know, I can make you happy.’

She took a step back before answering me hesitantly. ‘No oppa, I am happy, even if I’m not, I know I can because he’s a good man.’

My blood was boiling as I tried my best to calm myself down. How could I have let this girl get into my head? She’s literally screaming in my head. ‘Are you sure you can be happy?’ I asked again. Choa answered with a slight nod. ‘no, you can’t, Park Choa.’ I whispered in her ear as I came closer to hug her.

 

Without a second thought, I got out the pocket knife under my sleeves and stabbed her right in the back. My hands shook as I stabbed her once more. The sound of Choa’s heavy breathing slowly entered my head. I did it? I d..d.did it… ‘Oppa…o..o…oppa w..why?’ She struggled to speak as her head swayed and fell on my chest. She was still breathing but it was slowly fading. I pulled out the knife as blood started to flow out of her back and onto my hands, staining the sleeves of my shirt. Appreciating this last embrace, I held her tightly and cried to myself. I was selfish wasn’t I? I only thought of myself didn’t I? She didn’t deserve this………………… I felt a slight tug on my shirt and that was literally the end of Choa. That was her last breath, her last words and last heartbeat. Everything in my arms. I let her down on the ground as I adjusted her dress and placed both of her hands on her abdomen. Blood continued to ooze out from her back and onto the grass as I leaned in for a peck on her forehead. I watched her in the bright moonlight as she slowly turned pale. I took out the purple box from my pocket and opened it. It was the bracelet with a little flower that I gave her years back. Underneath the bracelet was a short note that said;

 

‘Let’s live happily in our separate ways, alright oppa?’

 

I started to cry again. How could I? She only wanted to live peacefully. I closed the box and placed it nicely on top of her hands. I caressed her face before coming in for another peck on her forehead.

 

I’m done for. There’s nothing more that I can do. I got up and checked my phone that was vibrating silently in my pocket.

 

‘How did you manage to bring yourself to get rid of her?’

 

‘I already wanted to, boss. Thank you for giving me a chance. I have to go now.’

-

 

I am no orphan who doesn’t have a family. I had a mother, Lee Tae Rin, a strong and healthy mother who was killed in an accident. She did not die in some anonymous accident, she died in Park Dae Sang’s accident. He killed my mother. He threaten my company by killing one of their worker’s family members in hopes to make them turned against their own company but Park Dae Sang was wrong. He mess with the wrong man. He didn’t know my mother had a son who is an assassin. He did not know me so I decide to date his only Daughter in hopes to kill him when we get closer but no. I fell in love with Choa. I fell in love with her in first sight. I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t bring myself kill her ‘pure and angelic’ father in front of her. Irritated, I decided to cut it off with Choa before I get too attached. Using her father’s reason, I left. I continued living my life as an assassin. I stayed away from her as far as I could. I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help but kill my beloved Choa in front of my own eyes. Park Dae Sang will soon find out that I was the one who killed his only Daughter. Park Dae Sang will then want to kill me, but Park Dae Sang will fail, because he will be rotting in jail. Covering up his murder like that, he will never get away again. I’ll take my leave now as I have to see my beloved mother today. A favor, Boss, you’ll cover me right? You’ll end this for me right? Send him away for me, right? Let me go in peace. I’ll see you again.

 

                                                                                                                                -               LEE JOON

 

 

 

Author’s Note;

Alright that’s a wrap! I’m done with this short story. How was it? I can’t even rate myself. Ugh. Anyway, it is up to you to think whether Joon died or ran away. If you can read what I was thinking then good. Hehe. Alright so since this is completed, check out my new fanfic if you want to! I’ve just posted the first chapter but I’m updating soon. Thank you for reading! 

 

The Curse of The House

 

See you soon!