Behind closed curtains

Ugly

I know that I was staring but there was nothing I could do about it. My eyes won't move. Even when Luhan looked up to check on my sudden silence. He waved his hands in front of my face and frowned. 

"Eunwoo," he said, "It looks like you're in love with me or something."

I pulled my glance away at those words. No. There was no way that I was falling for someone prettier than me. "As if." I muttered.

Luhan arose. "Of course, I'm joking." He beamed at me. "You're a guy."

"I see." So if I was a girl, he might consider me. I blushed at that small seeping hope I had. 

Pretty boy frowned. "Are you feverish?"

I shook my head, messing my ponytail. Luhan put a hand to my forehead nevertheless. 

He nodded. "You are quite heated. I'd say get some rest since we're here in the infirmary anyway." He turned his back to me and began walking to a nearby bed. "Here, I'll help you in."

Without thinking, I bolted up towards the bed and closed the curtains behind me. "I'll help myself." My voice was high-pitched but I really couldn't help it. "It's almost time for class. Go on ahead." I watched his silhouette on the curtain. He wasn't moving so I was relieved but yet, I wish he would. My heart pumped louder. I took a step back towards the edge of the bed. 

I swear this was different from the simple crush I had for Suho. 

"Alright then." Luhan said from behind the curtain. "I'll head off first. Come when you're better."

"Yes." I squeaked. I heard him walk out and the door slam behind him and heaved out a heavy breath.

"You like Luhan, don't you?"

I looked below me, just to see Kai's face popping out of nowhere. "AHHHHHHH!!!!" I sounded like a sheep about to be slaughtered.

Swiftly, Kai slid from under the bed and put a hand to my mouth. He guided me down on the bed, all at the same time, his other hand put a finger to his lips. "SHHH!" He hissed. "Don't want me telling Luhan your true feelings, do you?"

"HMMMM HMM HMM HMMHMM HMMMM HMM." I don't have feelings for him.

Kai smirked. "Oh really?"

"HMM!" Yes.

"So whose your favourite then?"

I was shocked. Kai gave me a side smirk, awaiting a response. Why such a serious question? But my attention dissolved when I heard the infirmary door open. 

"I think there's no one here."

That low voice. It was Kris's, wasn't it?

I heard the bed on the other side of the curtain squeaking as two bodies sat down. And then I heard, kissing?

I turned to Kai to see his expression but he was already fixated on the shadows on the curtain. 

"Does it hurt?" I heard the girl ask.

"Only if you think it does." Kris's voice was too soothing, alluring. "I promise I'll be gentle."

Kai was on the verge of snickering. His hands were no longer covering my mouth. Hence I decided to do what my instincts told me to do. I got off the bed and yanked the curtain open. 

I immediately regretted it. Kris was touching the girl under her shirt. Her skirt was already off and on the floor, so she was in her knickers on the bed in a seductive position. I almost looked away before realising that I had a purpose. So I waited for the girl to put her skirt back on before speaking.

"Shouldn't you guys be in class?" I questioned them harshly. 

"It's fine Eunwoo." Kris began.

"It's fine for you." I corrected him. "You're in the excellence class. But she's not. She needs to go back to class."

"I don't want to." The girl protested. "Go away, I want to be alone with Kris."

"I think we should leave." Kai ushered me, still with that playful grin on his face. 

I shook him off. "No. This is important."

"This is my choice!" The girl snarled at me. "Kai's right. Get out of here, ugly."

I shuddered at that word. Every time it was mentioned, it pierced my heart. But I should be used to it by now. I took a deep breath. "I may be ugly but at the very least, I had good intentions." I sighed and laughed coldly. "Screw this. Do whatever you want. I thought that someone as cute as you would at least have high standards and not be so easy."

I felt Kai squeezing my shoulders but I didn't care. She started it first. 

"But you're just a beauty with no brains. You won't understand anything anyway." I said.

I looked at her sympathetically and then I walked towards the door.

"I've thought it through." She stopped me just before I left. "I love Kris, that's why I am willing to offer him everything I have. So, don't judge me. Why do you care anyway? You're just a guy like everyone else here."

My heart hammered. I was giving myself away again. I sounded just like a girl who was protecting another. I had to make an excuse. "I thought you were cute and that you deserved more." I stuttered and then I blushed. Wasn't this like any other stupid love confession? No, I couldn't leave it at that. I put on an expressionless face again. "But I don't think that anymore." I said monotonously. "So do whatever you want."

I walked out of the sick bay as swiftly as possible. What the hell am I saying? I cursed myself on the inside for a while and then took my next steps towards class. 

"That was nice of you." I turned to see Kai beside me. "Cute people tend to want better."

I relayed those words over and over again in my head. Somehow, it infuriated me.

"You could really use these words for your-"

"I lied." I told Kai straight up. "I didn't like her being so easy so I said that just to make her reconsider." I had to look at Kai or else he would think that I was lying. "I solely believe that those who want to look attractive are superficial people. They are pretentious and settle for whatever they can get. Attractive people are greedy, it's obvious they just want everyone to fall for them. Don't you think it's unfair, Kai?"

Kai was listening intently. And being the smart guy he was, I knew he understood what I was trying to say. I didn't want to look at him anymore, seeing him made my heart burn in fury. It reminded me of those seeping emotions of love I may have for Suho or Luhan or any of the other boys in my dorm. I looked to the ground, where I thought was best to look at.

"So don't bother asking me for favourites." I decided to say. This underlying fact was as honest as it gets. "I hate all of you."