Final

Decisions: Taeyeon

She saw how the couple looked at each other, how the man held the woman's hand, how that woman's eyes glistened when he held it. She witnessed it all from outside the restaurant. The way he kissed her on the cheek, what he told her that made her smile, how she blushed. It was different now. It had been a long time ago. The woman on one side of the table looked happier with the man on the other. And the woman outside the restaurant felt bittersweet pain.

 

"I guess I made the right decision," Taeyeon said to herself while she observed from a distance. "Black did look best on her."

 

It had been three years since that day happened, that day that left a dent on Taeyeon's heart. To that very moment, it still brought sorrow to her like it occurred just yesterday. Scars never leave, they stay with you until your skin spoils. And so the deeply scarred Taeyeon was standing there, watching the woman who left her that way, looking happy with someone else. Yet somehow, she was relieved to see the only woman she loved more than anyone smiling, even though she was no longer the reason why she did. It was okay.

 

Taeyeon would never forget the first time she had seen her. All the boys wanted to be with her and all the girls wanted to be her. There was just something in the way she moved that made everything else brighter. She was extraordinary, the most beautiful thing Taeyeon had seen in the past 18 years of her life. 

 

"Who is that?" She asked her best friend Yuri, pointing out to the girl a few meters from them surrounded by people.

 

"Oh, that? That's Tiffany Hwang. She was born and raised in America. Her family moved here when she was 15. Her father is some kind of big-shot CEO. And she's really pretty." Yuri said. "You like her don't you?" She raised an eyebrow. 

 

And that was the first time Taeyeon lied to her best friend because from that day, she hoped that before college would end, Tiffany would notice her. Taeyeon would then spend the next three years rehearsing what to say to her when she did. Taeyeon didn't believe in religion but she thanked God for art history.

 

"Hey, you're Taeyeon right?" Her biggest crush was literally inches away from her. "Hi, I'm Tiffany."

 

She needn't introduce herself because Taeyeon knew almost everything about her, what her favorite color was, what her dog's name was. It was creepy, but that's what crushes do to people. Taeyeon didn't take a second to stare at the hand in front of her that waited for a shake, and she didn't think anything could be softer. 

 

"I'm having trouble with art history. I was hoping that maybe you could help me." She said it with a smile that lifted Taeyeon into the heavens. Of course, she agreed.

 

Those after-school teaching sessions were the happiest Taeyeon had ever been in her all her life, even better than when Tiffany showed her the A she got on her removal test. The two became really close and Taeyeon was beginning to fall for her harder than she thought. One afternoon, just before they were to begin, Taeyeon had been preparing to tell Tiffany how she really felt about her. But she was left breathless when Tiffany stole the opportunity to tell Taeyeon how she felt about her instead. 

 

"I'm in love with you, Taeyeon." 

 

Taeyeon would have those words on loop for the rest of the night. She didn't see it coming. She must've done something good in her past life to deserve an angel like Tiffany. From then, she promised herself to make her happy and to love her to her utmost capacity and to never ever make her cry. Taeyeon felt beyond lucky. 

 

Things have never been so perfect for Taeyeon. She got a job at a gallery, her girlfriend was going to law school, and her parents allowed her to get an apartment, as a late graduation gift. Painting used to be her only love, now there was Tiffany. And for that reason, canvases of her girlfriend graced every corner in that apartment. Taeyeon was more than contented to have the two in her life. She couldn't ask for more. 

 

"I couldn't have gone this far without you, Fany," she told her girlfriend of seven years and counting as they were at Taeyeon's first art exhibit. "I love you so much."

 

On her freshman year of college, she could only imagine being with Tiffany. She still couldn't believe how it managed to become reality.

 

"I'm never seen you this in love, Taeyeon. And I'm so happy for you," her best friend Yuri said. "Who would have thought that Seoul University's golden girl would fall for its biggest dork?"

 

Seven years and Taeyeon still couldn't believe her eyes. Coming home to the woman. Cooking for the woman. Waking up next to the woman whom she thought would never look at her the way she was looking right next to her. It was still surreal, like a dream Taeyeon never wanted to wake up from. She was the girl for her, and she knew she would spend the rest of her life with her.

 

"Fany, would you like to marry me? It doesn't have to be now. I just know you're the one I want to marry," she said one night, as she drove her girlfriend home.

 

Taeyeon saw the tears forming inside Tiffany's eyes and she pulled her into a hug. "Yes, Taetae. Of course I will marry you." 

 

"I love you," hearing it still felt like the first time. 

 

"I love you," and she would say it a million times more. 

 

Coming home from spending the afternoon following Tiffany around, holding shopping bags for her, Taeyeon decided to paint. She was just filled with creativity after being with the love of her life. It was 2:00 in the morning  and she didn't expect any phone call from anyone at that hour; but to her surprise it was Tiffany dialing her.

 

"Hey, are you trying the dress on? See, I told you it looks be--"

 

Taeyeon couldn't finish what she was saying, because on the other line, Tiffany was attempting to finish something else. The brush in her hand suddenly dropped to the floor, together with her knees and her heart she kept for her.

 

"Tae, I love you. You're the only one I have loved like this. But they're my family, and I need them. I'm sorry, Tae. I can't be with you anymore."

 

Taeyeon couldn't say anything, at least Tiffany didn't give her the chance to. It was painful. What she said was painful. It was short, but her words were concise. Taeyeon understood every bit of it. Tiffany chose her family over her. And Taeyeon thought it was selfish, but not because she was her second choice, but because she didn't give her a chance to fight for her. Tiffany quickly ended the call, and Taeyeon was left on the floor in tears. 

 

The phone call was the last thing Taeyeon heard Tiffany's voice. The next morning, no one would know where Taeyeon was. She stayed the entire day inside her room, not saying a word. The next month, she went to her hometown in Jeonju because everything about Seoul reminded her of Tiffany. She wanted to stay away from her for a while. But she couldn't resist, she had to find out where she was, what she was doing, if she was happy. 

 

She found out Tiffany quit her job at the firm and was in Los Angeles and it wasn't clear when she would return. And when Tiffany finally did, Taeyeon yearned to see her so badly. Taeyeon yearned to tell her everything was going to be okay, Taeyeon yearned to take her away from everything. Taeyeon yearned to chase after the running Tiffany. But if Tiffany wanted to see her too, Tiffany would come for her. 

 

Now, it had been three years since it happened. And Taeyeon was right outside this restaurant Tiffany was in and she was wearing that dress she chose for her. 

 

Taeyeon was obviously still in love with her. 

 

"Babe, what are you looking at?" A woman hugged Taeyeon from behind.

 

"Nothing, Jess."

 

Jessica, she was the new woman in Taeyeon's life. That same night, they were at the restaurant across the one Tiffany was in. Taeyeon had surprised her for their anniversary. 

 

"Come on, let's go home," said Jessica, pulling her hand. 

 

"Okay." Taeyeon smiled and wrapped her arm around the woman's shoulder. 

 

She definitely still was, but you never forget your first and greatest love, even if they left you bruised. They would always have a special place in your heart and your mind.

 

She loved Jessica very much, but evidence of Tiffany would always be there in her. 

 

She knew it was unfair.

 

Because she wasn't Tiffany. 

 

Because she would never love her the way she loved Tiffany. 

 

She would look at her the way she loved Tiffany.

 

She would never touch her the way she touched Tiffany. 

 

But that's just how it is.

 

Taeyeon was just glad to see Tiffany happy, the same way she was.  

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Hey, guys! So this is Taeyeon's side of the story. I know it probably isn't as good as the last one but I tried my best to give you guys the sequel you've been asking. I hope you like it! Leave comments! :)