Chapter 4

Magic Works

A/N2: Edited 4/4/2018

A/N: Finally! My PC had to be reformatted so I wasn't able to upload this one. Enjoy! :)

Do click the word burgundy gown to get a glimpse of what Sungmin wore on the Yule ball~


Chapter 4: In which being a sore loser runs in the family

 

Thirty minutes before the ball and Kyuhyun can’t stop humming the tic-toc song he’s so accustomed to for the past few days and it only made his grin wider whenever he hears how his cousin gritted his teeth in annoyance. Kyuhyun then started to snap along the tune he’s humming only to have his cousin snarl at him as they walked towards the Great Hall.

“Will you just shut up!” Kibum hissed as he turned to glare at Kyuhyun who just smirked at him.

“What? I’m just reminding you of the dare, dear cousin of mine. Have you prepared enough?” Kyuhyun watched as Kibum blatantly met his smirk with one of his own that was full of malice.

“The night’s still long, cousin dearest.” Kibum chuckled. “Yes you did ask Sungmin to the ball, but the real question here is if she shows up tonight.”

Kyuhyun found himself shaking inside although he was certain his cousin’s just bluffing at him, pulling him down so he loses this bet. Done like a true Slytherin, he thinks. And so Kyuhyun smirked at Kibum before he shrugged albeit nonchalantly before he pushed past his cousin.

“Oh, we both know Gryffindors do hold onto their words even if it costs them their lives. I’ll see you at the lake tomorrow, and do not forget your birthday suit, yeah?”

The entrance to the Great Hall was crowded by the time Kyuhyun arrived, with most of the students either mingling about or waiting for their dates. Kyuhyun slowly ascended up the stairs, eyes roving around to make sure he sees Sungmin first hand; it is twenty five minutes before their agreed time, after all. Surely there is some unwritten rule of some sort that Gryffindors do show up earlier than the agreed time, right?

Wrong.

He had been roaming around the halls, bumping over some friends and foes along the way, yet there was no sign of Sungmin. And by that time, Kyuhyun’s seriously contemplating Kibum’s words. Sungmin wouldn’t definitely stood him up right? Maybe he’s just too early. There’s still twenty minutes left, and the crowd’s starting to decrease, with some of them already stepping inside the Hall to save some seats. Fifteen minutes, and Kyuhyun decided to wait up on the stairs that lead up to the Gryffindor towers, hoping to spot her first as soon as she comes down.

But it wasn’t Sungmin who he saw on the way to the stairs. Halfway through his walk, he bumped onto Donghae and Hyukjae and he didn’t know if he should be relieved or not that they found him that night. But he did owe a lot to them anyway, so maybe a few minutes with them wouldn’t hurt that much.

“Looking handsome tonight, Cho.” Kyuhyun mustered a grin before he looked at Donghae who, for once, had his usually messy hair in a neatly combed style that made him look more of a gentleman than a prankster.

“I could say the same to you, Lee. Oh, Donghae I meant.” He glanced over Hyukjae and found himself smirking as he did a once over the latter who was wearing a bright red traditional robes with the smell of mothballs at least a century old. “Ah, Hyukjae, looking as dashing as ever.”

“Sod off Cho.” Hyukjae muttered as he looked at the sides of his robes as though some random mandrake will jump out of its pockets. “So, looking for Sungmin?”

“Because if you are…”

“…I suggest you muster out all the patience you have…”

“…because the girl’s stressing herself in the common room…”

“…probably won’t come down until the ball’s done.” Kyuhyun had half a mind to curse the two who were now chuckling. Oh how he hated it when they continue each other’s sentences as though they were some kind of psycho twins. Instead, he gritted his teeth and forced himself to calm down.

“Pardon?”

“The poor girl’s stressing over how she looks. Reckons she doesn’t look pretty and won’t even come out of her room.”

Well, e. Sungmin will stood him up.

“Oh my god mate, Hyoyeon’s coming this way! What do I do?” Hyukjae suddenly shrieked as he fussed over his robes before looking at Donghae for help. Kyuhyun somehow found it amusing how mischief instantly sparkled over Donghae’s eyes. He watched how Donghae smirked and pushed his friend to meet Hyoyeon halfway and he could tell the girl’s not impressed with how Hyukjae looks.

“This is gonna get messy.” Donghae chuckled before Hyoyeon’s shriek echoed through the hall, catching most of the students’ attention. Kyuhyun let out a low whistle before he backed off from the scene. As much as he wanted to see how Hyukjae handles this sticky situation, he has to convince Sungmin to go to the ball or else it’s all over for him. At the corner of his eyes, he saw Professor Bell rushing to the commotion and Kyuhyun decided it was the right time to sneak off towards the Gryffindor tower and…

Well, he really doesn’t know. Fat chance someone will let him in, let alone give him the password.

Curse Kibum and his ability to jinx him.

Soon enough the remaining students were herded inside the Great Hall save for the champions and their partners lining up for the traditional opening dance. Donghae glanced up at him from the stairs as the Beauxbatons champion held onto his hand elegantly. A small, pitiful smile graced his lips as he shrugged nonchalantly, as if telling him he had done everything he could. But it was unfair because Sungmin hasn’t gone down from the Gryffindor Tower. It felt like Donghae’s best wasn’t enough, not when the breathtakingly beautiful Sandara Park clinging onto Donghae’s arm was all Kyuhyun’s doing. After all, he did play with Sandara every summer way back when they were still kids, that is until he met his asshat cousin.

Speaking of his cousin, his eyes caught sight of Kibum with some decent looking student on his arm while he flashed a pocket watch and mouthing ‘tic-toc’ before he went in. Professor Bell also caught his eye and she smiled at him sympathetically, raising a hand as if telling him he only has five minutes.

An impatient sigh came out of Kyuhyun, ignoring the looks he earned from both Minho and Donghae from the line of Champions by looking at his watch.

Four and a half minutes.

“Bloody hell Sungmin, come on.” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath as he tapped his foot impatiently.

Four minutes.

The doors of the Great Hall opened widely and Kyuhyun could barely hear Headmistress McGonagall calling everyone’s attention.

Three and a half minutes.

A shrill yet low whistle echoed through the empty halls, making Kyuhyun look up and meet Donghae’s gaze who immediately cocked his head up the direction of the stairs and boy did he thanked Merlin and Slytherin and all the founders of the school when he saw who was descending the stairs in small, nervous steps.

The long, burgundy gown made of satin and covered with a very thin layer of cashmere made Sungmin’s skin glow even with the faintest of light. It ended barely above the ground and flowed with every step that Sungmin took, with hints of charcoal black heels peeking every now and then from under the fabric. Kyuhyun forced himself to look up and was met with a heart shaped top that was hanging onto Sungmin’s shoulder, exposing the most perfect set of collarbones and just enough hints of cleavage. Her arms were covered with a very thin layer of cashmere that left Kyuhyun craving to see more. One more tilt of his head and almond shaped eyes lined with just the perfect amount of eye liner and mascara met Kyuhyun’s, the faintest amount of blush adorning her cheeks and lips painted just the perfect shade cream with perfect white teeth peeking out and biting her lower lip nervously and he swore he stopped breathing. He couldn’t even look away from the sight of her, and good thing he didn’t because in a blink of an eye, Sungmin tripped over nothing and was quickly plummeting forward.

Thank Merlin for Kyuhyun’s swift reflexes and he found himself quickly lurching forward with arms opened and heart hammering wildly against his chest just in time. And then he swore his heart stopped beating when he felt Sungmin’s soft and petite body against his own.

“Gotcha.”

Sungmin looked up and Kyuhyun could get lost on those hazel eyes that were prominent because of her burgundy dress. He flashed her a small smile and helped her find her balance before letting her go.

“Well I thought you’d back out and ditch me.” Kyuhyun almost chuckled as he did a once over at her one more time, making her squirm uncomfortably as those eyes raked over her body and it sent his senses on fire.

“How…how do I look?” Sungmin asked in a small voice that was very unusual coming from the Gryffindor lioness herself, and it only made the smirk on Kyuhyun’s face widen as he think of words that would best describe her, but none was right enough, so he opted on the most accurate description he thought of, though he was sure it wasn’t enough.

“Perfect.” A rush of blood quickly made its appearance on her cheeks as Kyuhyun smiled at her softly before offering his arm to her. “Shall we, mademoiselle?”

Kyuhyun received a rather curt nod before Sungmin gently curled her hand around Kyuhyun’s elbow then proceeded to walk towards the hall. A small whistle called the both of them when they quickly passed by Donghae and Minho from the line of champions and Kyuhyun didn’t missed the playful wink Donghae had sent him. He reminded himself to thank the bloke enough to last him a few lifetimes before the night ends. Kyuhyun also saw the impressed look Sandara was sporting, as if telling him he’d done a good job picking Sungmin as his date for the night.

Ah, this could go on all night.

It was a different story as soon as the both of them took a step inside the Great Hall that was perfectly decorated for the event. But nothing could get more perfect than having Sungmin on Kyuhyun’s arm, he reckons.

But of course it wasn’t what almost everyone thinks.

Almost all of the occupants’ eyes were on them, and they have effectively hushed the noise that the headmistress herself was trying to kill for the past few minutes. Even the Headmistress herself and some faculty members (especially Professor Bell, bless her soul) looked at them with a look of pure amusement and curiosity. It would have made Kyuhyun gloat with all the attention he’s receiving if not for the gentle tug on his arm. Kyuhyun quickly turned to see the most adorable thing ever: Sungmin blushing and lower lip trapped in between her pearly white teeth with a look of uneasiness marring her perfect feature.

Oh.

So the lioness herself never wanted the spotlight on her, no wonder she’s a keeper. And yes, the pun was very well intended. Can this girl get any more perfect than she already is? So Kyuhyun, being the gentleman he was raised to be, quickly placed a hand on top of her hand resting on his arm and quickly pulled them out of sight through the side-line and thankfully it seemed to have an effect. The Headmistress quickly called everyone’s attention and welcomed the Champions along with their partners.

Surprisingly, they ended up on a table half occupied by some fourth year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs that they both never knew personally.

“Just think about it, your friends and my friends on a single table would definitely land us a one way ticket to detention with a bonus of getting sent up our rooms before the ball begins.” Kyuhyun persuaded as they eased themselves on the table, thankful that the occupants seemed to be too engrossed on the entrance of the champions and their partners. A giggle came out of Sungmin and Kyuhyun gave himself a mental pat on the back for a job well done.

“I could imagine.”

The orchestra then started a rather vivacious tune of the waltz as soon as the Champions settled in the front. Sungmin quickly turned towards the front where the three pairs danced elegantly and waited for the guy to commit some mistake.

But obviously it never came. The boy’s just as graceful a dancer as he was as a beater.

And then the Headmistress was whisked away by the Durmstrang Headmaster to join the champions on the dance floor, followed closely by Professor Bell with some familiar guy that Kyuhyun couldn’t quite place out.

“Bloody hell, that’s Puddlemere United’s keeper with Professor Bell!” Sungmin hissed as she craned her neck as high as she could to see Professor Bell and her partner. By that time, though, a few students have joined in dancing the traditional Champion waltz.

“If you want, we can go in front so you can check this keeper you’re talking about.” Sungmin quickly turned to him with a rather peculiar look that clearly told him he was up to no good. Well...you could say that.

“What’s in it for me?”

“Ever the untrusting one.” Kyuhyun chuckled before he looked at Sungmin and revelled at the suspicious expression on her face that he had always found attractive. It was the same exact reason why he would always irritate the Gryffindor lioness of course. And then he offered his hand to Sungmin who looked at it with an almost terrified expression.

“May I have this dance with the most beautiful girl in the room?”

It took a few seconds to gauge an expression from Sungmin and it clearly amused Kyuhyun to no end.

“Shut. Up.” Kyuhyun chuckled as he watched how Sungmin puffed her rapidly reddening cheeks and it made Kyuhyun want to pinch them, yet he loves his life more to risk it.

“You do have a different way of saying yes, don’t you?”

“No.” Kyuhyun’s chuckles doubled over as he watched how Sungmin itched to take off her shoes and curse it to oblivion. This is the very reason why he liked Sungmin, she’s very refreshing and different from most of the girls at Hogwarts. Oh he could definitely imagine the look his father will have when he takes her home.

“I don’t take no’s for an answer, surely you must have known that.”

“Then deal with it.” Sungmin huffed before she plopped on the chair stubbornly.

“You’re no fun. No wonder your team gets wild when you’re not around.” Kyuhyun resisted the urge to smirk as he watched the wrath quickly slipping on Sungmin’s features and it was then that he knew he totally won.

“I do not–”

“So...the dance?”

“I swear, Cho Kyuhyun…one mistake. Just one…”

“What? You’ll get to see the mediocre keeper of Puddlemere United. I’m being the bigger guy here, just so you know.”

“Excuse me?” Kyuhyun staged a sigh as he retracted his hand and looked at Sungmin.

“Imagine your date ogling some other girl, wouldn’t that somehow irritate you?” Kyuhyun wished the blush on Sungmin’s cheek stayed for a while instead of giving way to a menacing glare that the girl now sported. But she still looked cute, anyway. Gorgeous even. “But lucky you I don’t mind. Now, shall we?”

Sungmin sighed and tentatively took Kyuhyun’s hand. Soon enough, Kyuhyun smirked as he led her towards the dancefloor where students and some more professors had already joined the champions in dancing the waltz. The buzz of excitement that Sungmin once held quickly died down and as soon as they stepped on the dance floor, Kyuhyun could feel her felt small once more. Some students looked at them and whispered on the side, some even gave way to them and it only made her feel uncomfortable. It didn’t made sense to Kyuhyun, because hell, Sungmin looked more than perfect, so was why she acting like she’s the most despicable looking girl in the room? He looked around and met the blank gaze of his cousin from the other side of the room and it made him smirk at him and shrugged nonchalantly.

Who’s laughing now, asshat?

Kyuhyun immediately placed a hand on Sungmin’s waist while his other hand lifted Sungmin’s chin gently, their eyes instantly locking. Great, he’s got her attention, now all he has to do is maintain it and let her mind quickly forget the very reason why they were in the dance floor anyway.

“Hey. Eyes on me.” Kyuhyun said before he started leading Sungmin along the tune of the waltz. He never broke his gaze with her, and it’s not like he could do so. Because those eyes of hers are gonna be the death of him someday. One good thing that came out from their eye contact was that Sungmin slowly let go all the tension and started to relax in his grip. It felt like Kyuhyun was back on that hallway in front of the Transfiguration classroom only it felt infinitely times better. Everything was a blur and nothing mattered to him, only the feeling of Sungmin’s soft body against his touch.

And at that moment, Kyuhyun somehow felt thankful he had agreed on that bet he had with his mates, because nothing could beat the dance he was sharing with Sungmin, not even the fact that Jonghyun will do all his homework for the rest of the term, neither having Changmin on locker duties until the cup ends and certainly not watching Kibum humiliate himself on the Black lake tomorrow.  

Halfway through the quite lively waltz he was having with Sungmin, Kyuhyun caught the eye of Professor Bell who playfully winked at him before getting twirled by that Professional quidditch player of a partner that she has. He made a note to thank Professor Bell for being the luck he badly needed to finally have Sungmin on his arms.

He also made a mental note to ask if she had tons of Felix Felicis for her to land a date with a professional quidditch player.


They never danced again after that, and Kyuhyun can’t say that he’s disappointed. In fact, he was thankful that they never danced after that excruciating waltz they had. He’s sure his feet would profusely thank him after those painful steps that Sungmin had given him within that 5 minute dance.

But Kyuhyun could say all the pain was definitely worth it.

Plus, dinner was heavenly. He must say that the house elves totally outdid themselves that night with the dishes served. But dinner was much more heavenly with Sungmin beside him. Of course he didn’t missed the chance to make the girl fluster. A complement on her dress, an off handed tucking of a stray strand of hair and casually leaning too close to her rewarded him with that blush that he so wanted to see on her cheeks. Halfway through the night and finally Kyuhyun’s efforts were greatly paid when Sungmin seemed to have relaxed and comfortable around his presence.

“I didn’t even have the chance to look at him properly.” Sungmin grumbled a few hours into the ball as she glared at the now crowded dance floor with Professor Bell and her partner obviously missing. There was some band playing a rather upbeat and modern song and it made the students on the dance floor throw their inhibitions through the window. Some of the tables were swept to the side to accommodate a larger crowd on the dance floor and most of the students were either on the dance floor or trying to inconspicuously leave the Great Hall for some midnight rendezvous.

“Not my fault you’re too distracted on me.” Kyuhyun smiled a smug one as he evaded a punch from the girl beside him. Ah, he’s getting good at it. “If it makes you feel any better, I owe you another dance. The last dance of the night to be precise.”

A groan escape from Sungmin and it made Kyuhyun chuckle once more.

“You know I hate dancing.”

“I know, my feet can testify.”

“Sod off.”

“You can always ask Professor Bell, she is your favourite professor after all, isn’t she?” A slip of the tongue can be very dangerous, and Kyuhyun himself can testify that moment. The look of pure mischief on Sungmin’s gorgeous face was very unfamiliar and scary at the same time.

“How would you know?”

“Well…don’t we all love Professor Bell? She’s a darling.” Kyuhyun sputtered out, the calmness on his features thankfully looked convincing enough to hide the quivering inside Kyuhyun.

“So you like her too?” Sungmin grinned and Kyuhyun could only tell she learned it from being around Donghae and Hyukjae far too long. He quickly swallowed and schooled his features to his usual mocking one.

“Of course I do.”

“Ah, so that finally explains the rose.”

“What rose?”

“The rose from transfiguring the quill to a feather duster a few days ago. Never thought you liked your women older.” Kyuhyun felt himself blushing as he remembered how embarrassing it was, yet he wanted to reason out that the rose has always meant to be for Sungmin. After all, Professor Bell was just some silly childhood crush Kyuhyun had. “I could get in a word for you.”

Sungmin chuckled and Kyuhyun found out that it was the most melodious sound he had ever heard. He also found out he didn’t care that she’s making fun of him, not when he could hear those chuckles once more.

“Well, it’s not like I can’t say the same to you.” Kyuhyun smirked as it was Sungmin’s time to blush this time. “Seventh years and some professional quidditch player, huh? My father and sister do have connections, I could get in a word for you.

“Shut up. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re quite obsessed with me.”

“Oh, we both know you’re the one obsessed with me.” Kyuhyun smirked though truth be told, his heart was hammering wildly against his chest. He was thankful enough that the music was too loud or else he swore the whole Hogwarts would definitely hear his rapid heartbeat.

“Do tell me, oh wise gentleman, how you came up with this idea.” Sungmin’s tone might have been amused, but Kyuhyun was sure there was a hint of nervousness on it along with a light tint of blush barely visible on the dimmed lights of the hall.

But of course Donghae and Hyukjae told me.

“Come on, it was very obvious. That breakfast when you half yelled my name while arguing with Ryeowook was a dead give-away. And we could all tell you’re definitely ogling me during quidditch games.” Kyuhyun resisted the urge to smirk widely as he watched Sungmin sputtering incoherent words and blushing profusely.

“Bugger off.” Sungmin glared at him, but he could totally tell that it was more than half-hearted. In fact it was out of mirth and amusement and everything else that made Kyuhyun’s heart sore. And then they found themselves laughing over nothing and everything.

Truth be told, this was Kyuhyun’s greatest Christmas ever and it can’t get any better.

“You know, you’re not so bad yourself.” Sungmin whispered as she looked down while wearing a small smile. “Not at all, especially when the proverbial stick isn’t shoved up your arse.”

Scratch that, his night definitely got better.

“It’s not like I can’t say the same to you.” Kyuhyun smiled before he lifted Sungmin’s chin and looked at those perfect almond shaped eyes. “I meant it, every single complement I’ve said.”

All too soon the band announced their last song and only then did the both realized that it was close to midnight and the party’s drawing to a close. Kyuhyun then stood and offered his hand towards Sungmin who looked at it warily.

“Come on, I promised you that last dance, didn’t I?” Kyuhyun watched as she contemplated her options and he swore he could hear her thinking out loud.

“I wouldn’t get out of this, would I?” He could only shake his head before she took his hand and pulled herself up the chair. “Guess it wouldn’t hurt one last time.”

Soon enough they were standing face to face on the almost deserted dance floor. Sungmin reached for his hand but he decided to startle her and place them on her petite waist and pull her just teeny bit closer to him. It definitely worked, if the small squeak and the maddeningly quick blush on her cheeks would be any indication.

“Well?”

“Well what?”

“You put your hands on my shoulders, silly.” Kyuhyun chuckled and he felt his heart skip a beat when she reluctantly placed her nimble hands on his broad shoulders. He started out with slow, deliberate steps, letting Sungmin get the hang of it. And then their eyes met, and Kyuhyun swore time stood still. There was no one and nothing but just the two of them and if he just leaned forward just a little more, he’ll have those lips against–

A painful hiss quickly came out of Kyuhyun as he felt something bump his shoulder. A quick glance and he saw Kibum by his side, a grin in place before he steered his partner away from them.

“Sore loser.” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath as he glared at Kibum’s retreating back. A chuckle quickly tore him away from killing his cousin through glaring and then there was a soothing feeling by his shoulder.

“Maybe next time?” Sungmin chuckled once more as she gently pressed her fingers against the spot Kibum bumped earlier. Could this girl get any more perfect?

“There’s a next time?” Kyuhyun, hopeful, flashed a grin at her as she blushed and stuttered something incoherent. She really does have a way of saying yes.

The song ended, and the bubble they had popped, bringing them slowly back to reality. But the aftermath was yet to sink in because it felt like they were still back there in the dance floor, in each other’s arms and only a breath’s away from kissing. The elated feeling was too strong to brush off and even the cold, deserted hallways couldn’t erase it from the both of them.

 “I…I had fun, really I did.” Sungmin whispered as their quiet footsteps echoed tenfold against the dark walls.

“Well that’s nice. That was what I was aiming for anyway.” Kyuhyun chuckled as they rounded yet another deserted corridor.

“Arrogant git.” Kyuhyun could only chuckle as they finally reached the moving stair cases that would lead Sungmin to her dorms. And then it struck him that this is it, the night’s ending and the magic is over.

Or is it?

“So…”

“So.” Kyuhyun grinned as he took a step closer to her despite the thunderous hammering of his heart against his chest. Sungmin looked up at him, lower lip trapped once more on her pearly whites.

“See you around?” Sungmin breathed as she looked up at Kyuhyun through her lashes and it took all of Kyuhyun’s will power to restrain himself from pulling her and snogging the daylights out of her.

“Yeah.”

Fireworks started to go off outside, signaling the end of the ball and casting their shadows on the walls but they never paid any attention. He didn’t know how it happened or who initiated it, but soon enough Kyuhyun found his lips against hers in the sweetest kiss he’s ever had. The kiss was short yet it left them breathless and yearning for more, and more they took. They never knew how long they were standing at the bottom of the stairs, nor how many more kisses they shared and when exactly did the fireworks outside ended but it didn’t mattered to them, well to Kyuhyun at least.

“Do me a favor…” Sungmin panted as soon they broke away from their nth kiss. Kyuhyun hummed in reply as he rested his forehead against hers, his arms wrapped around her petite waist and pulling her closer if that was even possible. Her lithe fingers were magic, tangling and untangling themselves around the curly ends of his hair and it made him want to feel her lips against his once more. He leaned forward once more only to have Sungmin chuckle at him and pull back. It made him confused as he look at Sungmin, still as beautiful as ever even with the mussed hair and slightly crinkled dress and almost swollen lips.

It almost made Kyuhyun feel smug at the thought that he was the one who did that to her. Almost.

She took a step backward and then she was up one step on the stairs with a wide smile and rather peculiar twinkle on her eyes. Kyuhyun wondered if he should tell Sungmin not too spend too much time around her beaters.

“Sungmin?”

“I said do me a favor…” Sungmin was on the verge of chuckling but she managed to carry on. “…and wake me up before your cousin decides to drop by the Black lake in his birthday suit.”

Her chuckle reverberated through the walls even as she already slipped behind the portrait leading towards the dorm, and Kyuhyun had to force himself to walk after what had just happened.

Well, e.

At least that went better than expected.


Kyuhyun should have known better than to make a deal with his cousin.

Of course Kim Kibum was a sore Slytherin loser, and since he was one, who had expected that he would show up on the Black lake in front of almost everyone with nothing but his birthday suit?

Well apparently Kyuhyun did, as well as Sungmin, a handful of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs (mostly girls who were obviously smitten with Kibum) and more than half of the Gryffindors and Slytherins.

So when the clock chimed the second hour since the time agreed, some students muttered their annoyance and disappointment before they slowly started going their ways. It irked Kyuhyun to no end that his cousin (and Changmin. All hell will break lose on the next practice, he swore.) was nowhere to be seen, he should have known better than to trust a Slytherin. After all, he was one anyway.

“Look on the bright side, at least you got the girl, mate.” Jonghyun called out to him before he went his merry way.

“You got the girl huh?” Kyuhyun turned to his side and saw Sungmin grinning at him with her hands behind her. Somewhere around them he distinctly heard familiar hoots and cheers and it made Sungmin blush, with embarrassment or anger he didn’t want to know. All he knows is that she’s cute either way. She was about to turn and yell at the source of noise but Kyuhyun beat her by calling out to her.

“Well, I did, didn’t I?”

“Did you now? I can’t seem to recall the girl saying yes, anyway.”

“Well she did have a rather peculiar way of saying yes.” Kyuhyun smirked as he stepped closer to Sungmin who looked up at him in mock defiance.

“Oh, how so?” Kyuhyun just smirked at Sungmin before he pulled her and crashed his lips against hers. Thankfully, she did return it just as enthusiastic as he was and the cheers be damned. Jonghyun is indeed right, he did have the girl anyway.

Later that evening as he returned to the dungeons, he didn’t gave a damn to whatever pathetic excuses that Kibum and Changmin made up (“Passed by Professor Slughorn and asked me to help him with some of his work. Totally slipped my mind, cousin dearest.”  Was that your best shot, cousin dearest?), not when he spent the whole day snogging Sungmin on hidden passageways and deserted alcoves and looking forward to their date on the next Hogsmeade weekend. And the next one after that. And the next one too. And the remaining Hogsmeade weekends for the year. Probably even the rest of the Hogsmeade weekends on their seventh year.


Almost there.

Kyuhyun ignored the wisps of cold air against his face as well as the frighteningly increasing speed that his broom was in. All that matters is that the golden snitch is just a touch away from him. He could already feel the tips of his fingers touching the metallic surface of the snitch and he almost, almost smirked in triumph, if not for the sudden turn of events.

The snitch somehow took a sharp U-turn that sent him and Minho colliding against each other in hopes that either of them would get a hand first on the annoying little ball.

That’s when things went spiraling down.

Apparently, the snitch seemed to like Minho more because now it’s headed towards the Gryffindor hoops, and what better distraction can Kyuhyun have other than the Gryffindor keeper herself with a rather startled expression? But Kyuhyun can definitely see the glint of amusement on her eyes.

He found himself slowing his broom, afraid that he might collide against her. And that was the biggest mistake he committed that day.

Kyuhyun clearly missed the smirk that came across between Minho and Sungmin, and just when he thought Minho would definitely bump against Sungmin, the girl did a rather impressive feint. Soon afterwards Jungsu’s voice erupted through one of the stands.

“…And Minho caught the snitch! After a rather… interesting chase, he caught the snitch. The game ends and he’s awarded 150 points for Gryffindor!” Jungsu’s loud yet cheerful voice along with the cheers and groans pounded through his ears but it was nothing but a dull buzz compared to the sound of blood pumping through his veins after that neck to neck battle between him and that pathetic Gryffindor seeker.

Yes, Cho Kyuhyun is a sore loser much like his cousin. It runs in the family, deal with it.

He didn’t even played dirty (well not that much, anyway) this time around because he felt like he was the one cheated on this game. One look up and he saw who’s responsible for the most of the dirty tricks on him.

Whenever he catches glimpses on the golden snitch, it seemed that Sungmin finds a way to distract him that he was almost on the verge to call out Madame Hooch and take the Gryffindor keeper away from the game. Or maybe she was just distracting. Or better yet, he lets her distract him.

Sungmin caught his eyes and shrugged nonchalantly before flashing a smug smile at him and flying towards her other team mates who were hugging and crowding over the bloke of the hour. Stupid idiot. Must have swam through a pool of Felix Felicis just so he could catch the snitch today.

“Clearly our captain’s got his eyes on the other golden snitch. Can’t keep it in your pants until the game ends?” Changmin sneered as he passed by Kyuhyun before making his way to the locker room.

“Losing your touch, dear captain of mine?” Howon grunted as the rest of the team looked at him with disappointment or irritation or both and Kyuhyun didn’t know whether to curse them or himself. Because hey, they got a point.

“I take it back, mate. Maybe it’s not so good that you got the girl.” Jonghyun chuckled as soon as he stepped down the ground and dragged his broom towards the locker rooms.

“Shut up, Jonghyun.”

But then again, Kyuhyun reckons otherwise as he let a smirking Sungmin push him against the wall of the small storage room beside the Slytherin locker rooms with those tempting and luscious lips hovering over his before molding against his in a heated kiss that he’s only too happy to return.  

It’s definitely rewarding to have the girl, and if every match he gets to have kisses like these and some more, then maybe he doesn’t mind having Slytherin lose every single match against Gryffindor.

All that matters is that he got the girl, and he couldn’t ask for more.