Chapter 2

Magic Works

A/N2: PS: Edited 4/4/2018.

A/N: I was planning to finish this story during Christmas, since it's the very theme of the story... but I've ecncountered some problems (read:missing muse). Then again, here's the second chapter and I will definitely upload all the chapters before the year ends. And a big thank you to all of you who subscribed! Do tell me what you think! :)


Chapter 2: In which the Tic-Toc Song became the Slytherin House's official hymn

 

The Slytherin dungeons have always been welcoming to Kyuhyun. No matter how ty his day was or how it was suddenly bright and cheerful because he docked as much points from Gryffindor as he could and easily get away from it. There was always something comforting in the dungeons. Maybe it was the year round warmth that the dungeons have despite the fact that it is located underground; or maybe it was the windows that were naturally formed on the stone walls that showed life underneath the Black lake; or maybe it was the mutual feeling shared by all of its occupants: to crush Gryffindor whenever opportunity arises.

Kyuhyun definitely thinks it's the last one.

Yet as he marched down the dimly lit dungeon after growling the password, the welcoming feeling was definitely not present. Especially not since his so called best mates are waiting for him on one of the green couches with face splitting smirks. Well, it was really just Changmin though, Kibum still wears that passive expression that should have been emitting aristocracy and superiority with a little bit of mischief here and there (but it was replaced by something that even made Kyuhyun shiver at the thought of) while his face was buried in a thick book and Jonghyun was looking at him casually, as if waiting for him. Warning signals immediately shot up in his head and Kyuhyun resisted the urge to swallow, thoughts of backing away and just bolting out of the dungeons in his mind but it was too late.

“Well, if it isn’t the bloke of the century. Come sit dearest mate, and let’s talk about how tough guy Kangin blocked you into asking the Gryffindor lioness.”  Changmin called out, voice full of mockery to last a lifetime and Kyuhyun could only muster a withering glare as the former soon erupted in a spasm of laughter.

Kyuhyun cursed under his breath as he trudged towards the couch with a pair of heavy legs, thankful that at least the common room lounge was empty for the moment. He slumped on a lumpy armchair across from the couch the three were squashed in and Kyuhyun glared at the three of them. Changmin was still on his laughing fit and Jonghyun was still looking at him, waiting for him to start spilling the beans. His eyes then turned to Kibum who was sitting in between the two, and the latter sighed dramatically as he closed the book. Then he looked up at Kyuhyun as if he was staring him down.

“So it’s true then? That you’ve been outsmarted by that bulky 7th year?” Kibum drawled, the same way Kyuhyun does when he mocks a person and he decided that he’s starting to hate it. Maybe he’ll consider not doing it sometimes. Maybe.  Curse the family tree for relating him to someone like Kibum, mockery sure does run thickly in both their veins. “Surely you could have done better.”

Kyuhyun knew that his cousin Kibum was scrutinizing all his flaws and it only ignited the fuel burning inside him.  It felt like his father was the one in front of him, not his cousin, and it’s not really that hard to miss the resemblance. Curse those bloody Gryffindor beaters and their loud mouths.

“Ah, you shouldn’t curse them, those beaters. If it wasn’t for them, then you would have had competitions tenfold of what you have right now. Have you forgotten, cousin dearest?” Kyuhyun hissed under his breath as he glared at Kibum.

“But despite the efforts, he keeps getting blocked. First with that bloody chaser Jung, really that guy is beyond an excellent keeper as long as Kyuhyun is the chaser. And now here comes another challenger in the form of duelist extraordinaire Kim Youngwoon. Two keepers guarding not the hoops but the snitch, how hard can it get, right? Come Yule ball and you’ll definitely enjoy the company of yourself with a few broken limbs and a shattered ego.” Changmin guffawed once more and Kyuhyun was close to jinxing the hell out of his friend.

“Just because there’s a keeper doesn’t mean I can’t score.” Kyuhyun found himself hissing at Changmin who looked at him with pure amusement.

“Oh, you leave the scoring to us chasers, dear seeker. The only thing you’ve got to focus on is the golden snitch, if you know what I mean.” Changmin winked at him before erupting into fits of laughter once more. Curse him. He's so gonna make sure to give Changmin a hell of a hard time on practice until the term ends.

“Well at least you have two beaters at your side. The game can definitely change course, if you ask me.” Kibum muttered and Kyuhyun can’t help but agree, if only his cousin didn’t decide to continue. “But they can only give you enough time to score, and they already sent the best bludger in the form of Kim Jaejoong towards the other keeper. Surely they won’t shot down the other for, ah, intrahouse relationships.” Kibum then smirked at Kyuhyun who returned it with a glare.

“Or fear of losing limbs and catching nasty curses, probably.” Changmin snickered and Kibum continued despite the interruption.

“The question here, dear cousin, is would you take the chance to grab the snitch?” A glaring contest ensued between cousins and it would have gone until dinner time, if not for Jonghyun finally piping up his thoughts.

“Why not just ambush the snitch though? You know, the usual? Ambush the snitch while nobody else is paying attention so you can have it cornered by yourself while everyone is distracted.” Kyuhyun turned to Jonghyun and glared at him instead.

“Just so you know, that’s what I’ve been doing for the past few years, Jonghyun.”

“And he’s miserably failing at it.” Changmin muttered, earning a chuckle from Kibum.

“I know that. But you’re doing it wrong. You ambush the snitch when no one is paying attention to it, not when everyone’s attention is on it. Tell me, when’s the best moment that the snitch is alone?” Jonghyun explained with a hint of irritation as gears started working on Kyuhyun’s head. Of course! Why hadn’t he thought of that?

“And now gents, we witness how the great hatstall Lee Jonghyun works.” Changmin exclaimed as Jonghyun turned to him, mood quickly shifting from thoroughly explaining to just plain throwing a curse (probably an unforgivable one) to Changmin.

“ off, Shim.”

“Ah, truly a hatstall. Mood changes from Ravenclaw to Slytherin in a span of nanoseconds. Amazing indeed.” Changmin snickered once more, earning a curse from Jonghyun. The two then started bickering like kids and it made Kibum huff indignantly.

“Now, now, boys. I suggest a better way to keep us all…interested.” Kibum called out as he tossed his book aside and smirked at Kyuhyun.  The two immediately stopped arguing and Kyuhyun was sure this entertainment his cousin is talking about is definitely at his own expense. Some kind of cousin that Kim Kibum is.

“Do enlighten us, your majesty.” Changmin mocked, though the smirk on his face clearly showed his interest on whatever Kibum is planning on his sick, twisted mind. Kyuhyun so badly wanted to hex his cousin to oblivion as he met those sly eyes that were swirling with infinite possibilities of humiliating him with every possible opportunity that arises. He wanted to voice out that whatever humiliating plans Kibum has should be reserved to unwitting Gryffindors, but Kyuhyun has that feeling that his opinion will most likely be ignored.

“How far is it to the Yule ball?”

“Uh… roughly a week?” Changmin, the ever so slow one, never hid his confusion as he voiced out the answer. He had to admit, Kyuhyun is a bit confused as well but a quick glance over his cousin somehow sent an idea up his mind, followed by signals — signals of his own destruction, of course. “What does that have to do with our entertainment, though?”

Changmin’s question was left ignored as Kyuhyun chose to lock eyes with Jonghyun instead of looking at his cousin. His blank eyes met with the hatsall’s glassy ones, a clear indication that those gears on his half Ravenclaw mind were already twisting and turning. The Slytherin seeker had a half mind to curse under his breath when Jonghyun’s eyes lit up a bit, like a lamp slowly brightening with delicate turns on its knob. Lee Jonghyun is a valuable dark horse in a game, a piece that Kyuhyun always wanted to be on his side. Yet now, as Jonghyun’s once-in-a-blue-moon smirk slowly rose to life, Kyuhyun thought Lee Jonghyun is definitely going to be his most dangerous opponent this time. It makes him want to admit defeat at this early stage of their humiliating and dignity shaming mind game, especially when Lee Jonghyun is teaming up with his evil cousin.

“And how long did it take you, Changmin, to pester Victoria Song to go with you to the ball?” Kibum’s smirk was wide now, almost sneering at Kyuhyun who hissed lamely while Jonghyun chuckled to himself in pure amazement.

“Ah, so this is how it is. Interesting.”

“What is? Come on guys, tell me. And I didn’t pester her, not at all!” Changmin half whined yet Kibum only chuckled at him. Kyuhyun wanted to punch him and his annoying eye smile so bad.

“So how long again, Changmin?”

“Three days.” Changmin grumbled as Kibum turned to Jonghyun who was wearing an amused expression that sent shivers up Kyuhyun’s spine.

“Jonghyun?” Kibum was clearly on a roll now and all Kyuhyun could do was watch with bated breath as Jonghyun smiled innocently, yet those eyes of his were swirling maniacally. It almost made Kyuhyun run to his room and never emerge again until the term resumes. That’s the Slytherin way after all, isn’t it? But something tells him to stay, and prove them that he’s not gonna back out on this one. Maybe it was the same something that made the sorting hat sputter nonsense six years ago during his sorting ceremony, about Kyuhyun having a courageous streak hidden inside him. Well that was before Kyuhyun told him to off, making the sorting hat immediately yell “SLYTHERIN!”, much to Kyuhyun’s pleasure and the sorting hat’s annoyance.

“Took me two days and a half to get Hyerim say yes. How about you, Kibum?”

So that’s how it is, huh?

“Oh. A few hours for Yewon. Currently the fastest one I got since Eunhye on that Hogsmeade weekend last month.”

“I still don’t get it, guys. What’s the connection with…” Kyuhyun almost growled as realization hit Changmin a tad too late, yet the smirk on his annoying face made up for his slow brain.

“So, on average, it roughly takes a guy 2 days at most to ask a girl out to a date.” Kibum half sneered at Kyuhyun before he leaned back on the couch while crossing his legs. Blimey, he really does remind Kyuhyun of his annoying father. “How about you, cousin dearest, how long have you been chasing the lioness’ tail again?”

Kyuhyun could only grumble irritably, fighting down the hot blush climbing up his neck as Changmin and Jonghyun chuckled at his embarrassment.

“What was that again?” Kyuhyun glared at Kibum as the other smirked at him, as if he already won this gamble that they were about to play before it has even started. Prick.

“Five years.” Kyuhyun hissed as mocking laughter echoed through the bricked walls of the common room. Kyuhyun glared at Changmin who’s responsible for the loudest, high-pitched laughter echoing right now (got it from great great great great aunt Bellatrix, he says) and it made his hand itch to take his wand and throw a good curse or two at Changmin. Or Kibum. Or maybe both, that is if he doesn’t die in shame first.

“Now, now, let’s understand my cousin’s predicament first.” Kibum drawled once more as he waved his hand, effectively catching Changmin’s attention once more. Then he leaned forward and looked at Kyuhyun squarely, his eyes challenging every nerve in Kyuhyun’s body. “It’s not easy chasing after the lioness when she has an army of protective boys around him.”

“Let’s also take account that this army is made up of 2 boys.” Jonghyun chuckled and Kyuhyun contemplated on whether he should curse Jonghyun as well.  A hatstall between a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin is very dangerous and should be considered illegal.

“Just get it over with, Kibum.” Kyuhyun found himself agitated and his only mistake was that he showed it to his cousin who’s clearly satisfied on trampling with his ego. Said cousin chuckled before he locked eyes with Kyuhyun, and it almost made Kyuhyun cower in fear, if not for the fact that he grew up meeting the same gaze his cousin has from his father.

“2 days, cousin dearest.” Kibum calmly said and it made Kyuhyun clench his fist. “Let’s see if you can get the almighty Lee Sungmin as your date to the Yule ball within 2 days. After all, even Changmin here did it.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?”

Well, e.

“What’s in it for me?” Kyuhyun thanked Merlin that his voice didn’t quiver when his insides are already trembling.

“You get the girl, obviously. If you lose… guess who’s going on a skinny dip on the Black lake in front of the whole school body the day after the Yule ball?” Kyuhyun scoffed as he crossed his arms, blatantly ignoring the three’s laughter. Kibum and his sadistic ideas are great, only if you’re not the victim. His eyes darted from Changmin to Jonghyun and lastly to his cousin. A smirk slowly crept up on his face before he chuckled on his own.

“If I win,” The laughter quickly died and three pairs of eyes locked onto him. Kyuhyun looked at Jonghyun with a sadistic feeling creeping in his veins. “You’ll do all my assignments for the rest of the term.” The sound of Jonghyun’s groan was almost music in Kyuhyun’s ears. Of course, Jonghyun dislikes doing assignments for others just because he’s supposed to be intelligent. Then Kyuhyun turned to Changmin whose smirk faltered.

“Extra three hours of quidditch practice for you.” Changmin’s mouth opened in protest but Kyuhyun would not have any of it. “And you get to be on locker room cleaning duty. Every day. For the rest of the term.”

“That is if you win, cousin dearest.” Kibum called out, his challenging look still present as if he is very confident that he’ll win despite whatever miracle Kyuhyun calls.

“And yes, cousin dearest, you better prepare that skinny dipping skill you have next week.” The smirk faltering on Kibum’s face was definitely worth it in Kyuhyun’s opinion.

“Oh, we’ll see about that, cousin dearest.”  Kibum hissed and it was so gratifying for Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun stood and smirked at the three before playfully saluting at them, an act that annoys Kibum greatly, and then with a of an eyebrow, he turned and went his merry way towards his bunker.

And suddenly, the common room seemed to be welcoming again, in fact it was in its most welcoming aura since Kyuhyun was sorted in Slytherin. Now, he prays to Slytherin (and maybe to Gryffindor as well) that he comes up with a solid plan to snag Lee Sungmin within 2 days.


36 hours. Kyuhyun has 36 hours left to snag Sungmin. 36 hours left to devise a perfect plan to make her agree to go to the ball with him. 36 freaking hours to win the bet and avoid skinny dipping on the Black lake with all the Hogwarts population watching his demise. At least Sungmin’s sitting across from him with that serious expression as though she’s formulating another play for her team’s next match. Did he mentioned she looked cute with that eyebrows curved and eyes ablaze while staring at her breakfast?

Right. Great morning indeed.

“Good morning, cousin. Nice weather isn’t it?” Kibum strode towards the Slytherin table and sat beside Kyuhyun with a mocking bright expression on his face before taking a sip on a goblet that magically appeared in front of them. “Ah, nothing beats iced pumpkin juice in the morning.”

Kyuhyun sighed irritably before glancing over Kibum who’s still wearing a smug expression and eyes swirling with sadistic tendencies. He cocked an eyebrow at the guy in front of him, only earning an amused chuckle.

“Too early ahead on your obsessing, eh? How about you put your obsession to use and ask her to the ball, yes? Or would you prefer flashing your unimpressive manly bits to the whole Hogwarts populace?”

“Do me a favor, cousin dearest, and off.”

“That hurts, cousin dearest. You of all people should know that you’re my favorite male cousin. It hurts that you treat me like this.” Kibum drawled (really, it’s getting on Kyuhyun’s nerves now), his sentence dripping of pure sarcasm as he wiped his spoon and fork with a clean table napkin before digging in on his plate.

“Funny you say that, with the 2 day wager you put on my head. I totally feel the love, dear cousin of mine. And for the record I’m you’re only male cousin, so shut up.”

“True enough.” Kibum chuckled and it only made Kyuhyun irritated more.

“Why don’t you irritate others with your pleasing aura? Perhaps Changmin or Jonghyun?”

“Changmin’s still drooling and Jonghyun’s off to satisfy his Ravenclaw craving for wisdom and intelligence.”

“Great.” Kyuhyun hissed as he finished his plate begrudgingly, his eyes already going back to staring at Sungmin who was now looking back at him. For a nanosecond, Kyuhyun felt his heart skip a beat, but he took control quickly and flashed a smirk. Kyuhyun watched Sungmin squeak before she glared at him and turned her attention to that chaser Jung who was talking animatedly with his arms. The chaser stole a quick glance over where Sungmin was staring at earlier and eventually met Kyuhyun’s gaze and the short eye contact they shared quickly turned into a glaring contest that only broke when someone tugged at Yunho’s arm and caught his attention.

“Smooth, cousin, real smooth.” Kyuhyun turned his glare towards Kibum who was eating haughtily with his back straight and expression stoic; the perfect epitome of a pureblood asshat. Kyuhyun grumbled before he slightly pushed his plate in front of him and gathered his things. Better get out of the great hall than spend time with his cousin degrading every fiber of his being just to get the hang of it. “Leaving too soon?”

“None of your business, cousin.” Kyuhyun muttered as he slung his bag over his shoulder and turned towards the massive doors, his eyes glancing towards the Gryffindor table to see Sungmin gathering her things as well. And if it isn’t pure luck, it seems like Donghae and Hyukjae are nowhere to be found and Yunho seems to be preoccupied with that 6th year vixen. Tough guy Kangin is also out of the picture. Ah, Kyuhyun could already smell the sweet taste of victory.

“Kyuhyunnie dearest, a piece of advice.” Kyuhyun almost groaned, a whole morning of exchanging sarcastic terms of endearment with his cousin is taking a toll on his patience meter already. One more dearest thrown to him and he’s sure his cousin will be at the receiving end of a bat-bogey hex. Kyuhyun took a deep breath and glanced impatiently at Kibum who was smirking at him widely. From the corner of his eyes, Kyuhyun could already see Sungmin quickly trudging her way out of the Great Hall, probably avoiding the blokes on her heels.

“Make it fast, Kibum. I don’t have all day for your sarcasm.”

“What’s gotten your knickers in a bunch?” Kibum craned his head and his smirk grew wider if, that was even possible. Then he looked back at Kyuhyun with that annoying eye smile of his — quite unnerving if you ask Kyuhyun, seeing that eye smile partnered with a mischievous smile on Kibum’s usually stoic face. It felt like he was staring face to face with someone much evil than Lord Voldemort. Or worst, someone much worse than is father.

“Ah, I see. Go on ahead, Kyuhyun, but do remember Jonghyun’s words last night.” Kyuhyun resisted the urge to stomp his feet as Kibum bid his time before finally speaking. “To catch the golden snitch, you must corner it when no one’s attention is on it, not when everyone’s attention is on it.”

“I know that, Kibum.”

“Well then go ahead, Kyuhyun. Good luck. Do remember as well that time is already running out. Tic-toc-tic-toc.” Kibum chuckled as Kyuhyun growled and marched his way out of the great hall. He was too warped up in his own rage that he collided with someone halfway out of the noisy hall. He quickly muttered an apology, not even looking up to see who he collided with and he wouldn’t have cared if not for the girly voice that called out to him.

“Stressed out being dateless to the ball, Cho?” Kyuhyun looked up to see fellow Slytherin Kim Hyuna chewing a gum noisily with an annoyed expression before she went her way to breakfast.  Kyuhyun scoffed, sending one last glare at the strutting girl before he half sprinted out of the great hall to ‘catch up’ with the Gryffindor quidditch captain.


Kyuhyun wasted 12 precious hours in his quest to snag Sungmin Lee to the ball, and he blames it all on his grinning cousin. Never in his whole existence did he saw Kibum grin the whole day, and he has the worse imitation of the Cheshire cat and an even worst imitation of the cat that got the canary. In Kyuhyun’s opinion, his cousin looked more like a constipated Mrs. Norris. He didn’t even have any idea why several girls (okay, a few. Fine, a dozen. Maybe some more. Look, he’s not keeping track of them, alright?) go swoon and make a fool out of themselves just because that stoic and mysterious pureblood asshat went out of his way and sported a maniac grin the whole day.

So why was Kyuhyun blaming his asshat cousin, you ask?

Why, he brought him bad luck today, that’s why. Ever since his cousin sat beside him that breakfast, everything went down the drain for Kyuhyun.

As soon as he stepped out of the great hall that morning, Lee Sungmin vanished into thin air. He scoured the usual hallways (under the disguise of doing his prefect rounds, of course) the whole morning only to find not even the slightest dust from her. Plus the fact that the rabid fanboys started to clog up the hallways annoyed him, though he felt a bit better to dodge some points and hex some of them at that time of the morning.

The thing about being sorted in Slytherin is that there is hardly any class that they share with Gryffindors. For the professors, it is a relief because it minimizes the overly unhealthy competition (that often ends up with a trip to the hospital wing and/or detention) between the two houses. For the Gryffindors, it is a bit annoying, because they do not get to show their stupid and idiotic bravery over perfectly thrown insults by the Slytherins. The Slytherins show the same sentiments with the Gryffindors just this once, because they don’t get to show their cunning and cleverness on creating an insult at every opportunity that arises and throw them perfectly at unsuspecting Gryffindors.

For Kyuhyun, it’s not just a bit annoying but overly huge annoying because 6th year Slytherins only shares 3 subjects with 6th year Gryffindors: Transfiguration, Herbology and Ancient Runes; The first two taught by a Gryffindor professor and the Gryffindor Head of house himself respectively (tough chance Kyuhyun can throw in a good yet subtle move on Sungmin under the watchful eyes of Professor Longbottom) and the last one an elective that Sungmin didn’t chose to take that year.

So Kyuhyun could only grumble to himself as Professor Bell carefully yet enthusiastically went through the steps on how to transfigure a quill in front of each student to a functional feather duster. He didn’t even contemplated the importance of having a quill transfigured into a useless cleaning utensil because that wasn’t the matter of importance at that moment. The more important matter at hand was the wide gap he has from Sungmin who’s sitting too far from him and is usually surrounded with the bloody chaser and annoying beaters.

And the fact that Kibum was sitting next to him and muttering ‘tic-toc-tic-toc’ every so often almost drove Kyuhyun to the edge.

“Let’s see you do it this time, Mr. Cho.” Kyuhyun was too preoccupied with his thoughts that he almost jumped when Professor Bell materialized in front of him. He mustered his usual grin, glancing over Sungmin from a few seats in front and successfully catching her eye before playfully winking at her. The startled expression that came with her usual glare looked so cute on her that made Kyuhyun almost squeal in delight. He looked up at Professor Bell who had her eyebrow cocked at him before he swished his wand over the feather. Though, instead of the required feather duster, a single rose with the color of the crimson banners of Gryffindor appeared on the table. Kyuhyun wasted no time and offered the rose to the professor as teasing jeers and low yet playful whistles erupted from the Slytherin side of the room. The glares he received from the Gryffindors were satisfying and he almost gloated in arrogance when Professor Bell let out an amused chuckle and slightly tossed the rose on the desk.

“Nice try, Mr. Cho, but I’m afraid I already have a date to the Yule ball. Go find your luck with somebody else, and maybe have a sip or two of Felix Felicis while you’re at it. For sheer, dumb luck, yes?” Kyuhyun willed down the hot blush rapidly making its way on his cheeks as taunting and mocking laughter erupted on the walls, with Kibum’s laughter the most taunting and Changmin’s guffaws the loudest of them all. It almost made him forget that both Gryffindors and his fellow Slytherins laughed at his failed attempt of entertainment.

Thank Merlin the shrill sound of the bell resounded and the class was dismissed with a buzzing laughter humming among the students.

“Never got over your petty crush over Professor Bell, no?” Kibum chided as they went out of the room with Changmin in tow, singing the tic-toc song (clever, Kyuhyun, very.) with every step he took. Kyuhyun paid the two no heed as he subtlety crane his neck to look for Sungmin who, again, vanished without a trace. Irritation crept up at him when Kibum joined Changmin in singing the tic-toc song

“Let’s see who sings that tic-toc song next week and doesn’t get annoyed.” Kyuhyun grumbled before he stormed off to his next class with his so called friends in tow and singing the damned song until they reached their classroom.


Herbology was just as worse as Transfiguration. Or maybe it’s much worse than Transfiguration. It seemed like Kyuhyun took a liter of Felix Felicis with the unbelievable luck he had when he managed to stand next to Sungmin that afternoon without that chaser Jung hovering near her. But of course, too much Felix Felicis, as they say, is dangerous to one’s health. Let’s just say that those freaking Mandrakes got a set of powerful lungs loud enough to knock some students unconscious and drown out whatever Kyuhyun was about to yell at Sungmin.

At least Kibum was one of the students that got knocked off. Who’s laughing now, asshat?

Apparently still Kibum, because Kyuhyun was volunteered by Professor Longbottom to drag his cousin towards the hospital wing, shooting out one of his few chances of asking Sungmin to the ball. The kick he gave Kibum on his gut when Madam Pomfrey wasn’t looking didn’t even gave the slightest consolation Kyuhyun had expected to gain.

So that afternoon, he channeled all his frustrations on s during quidditch practice.

“You call that flying, Shim?! Are you kidding me right now?” Kyuhyun yelled as he hovered over the hoops and glared at his chasers. Then he turned towards Lee Howon, his fastest chaser, before taunting him. “Losing your touch already, Hoya?”

“Geez, captain. Whatever’s gotten your knickers in a twist, don’t channel it on us. Well, maybe to Changmin, yes.” Hoya grumbled as Changmin protested.

“Hey! I’m here, you know.”

“Well, don’t just hover there. Porskoff ploy. Now!” Kyuhyun glared at his chasers before barking at them, and he almost smirked at their startled expressions (Changmin almost fell off his broom). A gust of chilly, winter wind swept pass Kyuhyun, and he had half a mind to think that the chasers purposely did that to annoy him. But he didn’t care the least, because his mind was still full of a thousand ways to torture his players for the next two and a half hours while thinking of ways to corner his golden snitch.

Two and a half hours later and Kyuhyun felt that invigorating feeling after torturing his team, especially Changmin. Oh, he could clearly see him cleaning the locker room for the rest of the term. He had that extra spring on every step he took as he left the pitch after barking orders his keeper, Junghoon or something, to return the supplies to Madam Hooch’s office. He chuckled to himself as he turned towards the hallway leading to the dungeons, his grin growing wider as the warm aura of the common room welcomed him.

“So have you heard, dear cousin?” Kyuhyun almost jumped when his cousin materialized beside him, face buried in a thick, smelly book. Though even the musty pages couldn’t hide the Cheshire grin he’s sporting. It makes Kyuhyun want to kick him in the gut once more, maybe kicking his cousin while conscious feels more gratifying.

“Heard what?”

“Tough guy Kangin seemed to have closed in on the golden snitch.” Kibum drawled (ugh, Kyuhyun totally hates that act now) before he closed his book and turned towards Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, swallowed hard as he felt all the blood drain from his face. Great. e. Damn that imaginary Felix Felicis from Professor Bell. “But lucky for you, Sungmin seemed to have politely asked for some time to think about it. But nevertheless, ready to flash your… disturbing manly bits, dear cousin?”

Kyuhyun could only clench his fist and glare at his cousin who was chuckling at him with pure and dark malice. He refused to admit defeat this way, not when he had mustered all his efforts into devising a plan (well, not really a solid plan) only to get shot down by Kim Youngwoon. Kyuhyun found himself opening his mouth for a (lame) retort when the doors behind them opened and a new student stood behind them. He almost forgot that they were standing just a few steps away from the doors and entirely blocking the entrance. Well, frankly Kyuhyun doesn’t give a damn. To hell with the newcomer student.

“So, I wasn’t informed that the hallway is blocked by two idiotic cousins who were engaged on a pathetic glaring contest.” Kyuhyun glared at the newcomer, and if it isn’t his luck, it’s the annoying Kim Hyuna once more. He opened his mouth and was about to tell her to off when something clicked in his mind.

Damn, why hasn’t he thought of her earlier?

Hyuna stomped her foot impatiently, gum popping noisily on before she shoved her way in between Kyuhyun and Kibum and made her way towards her room. A smirk slowly crept up on Kyuhyun’s face as his mind starting formulating the much awaited plan to finally snag Lee Sungmin. Maybe Professor Bell’s Felix Felicis worked well, too well that it even sent a stray bludger on his way. And Kyuhyun is definitely using this stray bludger wisely to get his golden snitch.

“No. Maybe you’re the one who should prepare flashing your bits to the whole Hogwarts populace, cousin dearest.”


Needless to say, Kyuhyun found himself in an empty classroom with Kim Hyuna the next day, four hours before the bet ends.

“What’s in it for me?” Kyuhyun watched as Hyuna sat on one of the tables on the empty classroom they were in right now. She crossed her legs, robes parting to show some skin as she chewed a gum rather noisily. It annoyed Kyuhyun to no end, but he was in a desperate time, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Bloody hell, after a whole morning of hearing the tic-toc song not only from Kibum and Changmin but from the whole sixth year Slytherins, he was driven to the edge. Damned that cousin of his for blabbing out the bet to their housemates, and the nerve of the guy to proclaim that Kyuhyun was already at the losing side was the icing on the cake.

He hadn’t really thought out this encounter with Hyuna, just grabbing the girl as soon as he saw her that afternoon and dragged her to the nearest empty classroom before explaining his plan. Now, he kind of regrets it. After all, no Slytherin would do someone a favor without something in exchange. Not even his best mates wouldn’t do it even if it is a life or death situation. Who’s to say Hyuna will when her only interaction with Kyuhyun was a brief summer fling that ended in a disaster 2 years ago?

He should have really thought thoroughly about this.

“Well?” Hyuna drawled, well tried to drawl with the gum and all, as she cocked a perfectly shaped eyebrow at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun then decided that drawling made it to the list of things that greatly annoyed him, just under Kim Youngwoon and his cousin at the top of the list. And Hyuna was currently climbing up as well, if she won’t agree to his proposition any time soon.

Yep, any time soon, because at any moment now the golden snitch would definitely pass the corridor outside the room they were in (hopefully without the beaters and/or the keepers flanking her) after a few hours of quidditch practice. And any second wasted on negotiating and thinking of a bribe is a precious second wasted. He couldn’t let this chance get away, not when he was almost this close to grabbing the snitch and earn…well, earn a date to the ball.

“You know, you never did this. Acting on impulse and stuff, it’s so…un-Slytherin of you. You should leave the impulsiveness to the Gryffs.” Hyuna then jumped down from the desk and went towards the door while blowing a rather big bubble from her gum.

Well great, there goes the stray bludger. So much for hoping.

"Do me a favor and hand your pompous cousin’s back to him, yeah?" Hyuna blew a big bubble from her gum before letting it pop noisily. Kyuhyun suppressed the urge to wince as he watched the deflated gum make its way back to Hyuna’s mouth. Though the handing back of Kibum’s sounded reassuring enough, he’s not sure if that’s the only favor the girl will be asking from him.

He decided he didn't care.

"What are you still waiting for?" Hyuna called out and Kyuhyun trudged towards the corridor. He knew he didn't need to act to make this plan work, because he already felt irritated and annoyed. Curse that gum.

He felt himself growling lowly as he heard the girl chew noisily and he knew Hyuna was doing it on purpose to annoy him. He turned around, facing her with a glare as they arrived at the end of the hallway that was directly facing the one where the golden snitch would be coming from. Oh, he hoped for sweet Slytherin that this plan better work. Or else it's to the ball with himself or a date with two months’ worth of assignments.

"Stop it." Kyuhyun hissed while sending a glare at Hyuna who just smirked at him, gum still popping inside .

"What?" Hyuna raised an eyebrow as faint footsteps echoed from the other end of the hallway and it almost made Kyuhyun swallow hard. Well, here goes nothing.

"You're annoying. How many times do I have to tell you to stop it." Kyuhyun hissed yet his words echoed through the walls. Thankfully, Hyuna got the sign and purred with that annoying voice of hers.

"But Kyuhyunnie dearest~ you promised me!" Hyuna made a move and rubbed his arm gently and Kyuhyun fought hard not to grimace. In the corner of his eyes, he could barely see his target frozen at the other end's corner, as if contemplating to continue walking or not.

"Promised you what?" Irritation bubbled inside Kyuhyun and he didn't even held back as he hissed at Hyuna once more. He only hopes his target wouldn't walk out on him right now. He heard Hyuna huffed annoyingly as she stomped her foot hard. It felt as though the girl really was irritated.

"You said we're going together to the Yule ball!"

"I didn't. Stop hallucinating." Kyuhyun looked back at Hyuna who wore an amused expression though her voice was laced with annoyance and anger. It was a wonder how she did it, yet Kyuhyun never wanted to know how. The fact that she can do that gives him enough of the creeps already.

"What? Now you're dumping me?!"

"No. How could I dump someone I've never been with?" Kyuhyun drawled (yes he swore he'll try not to do it next time) as Hyuna gasped as though it was a scandalous thing. But the faked shock only lasted for a few seconds before Hyuna made a comeback. She stepped forward, too close to Kyuhyun and made lazy patterns on his chest. This time he didn't even suppressed the shiver (from disgust of course) that ran through his spine. Then Hyuna purred as she looked up and blinked her eyes furiously, as if charming Kyuhyun but she only evoked revolt from the guy.

"Surely you can...reconsider, yes? I promise you'll have a good time with me to the ball."

"No. I told you I already have a date." This made Hyuna change expressions from flirty to downright angry and jealous. It was as if everything she was doing was true, but Kyuhyun didn't care the least. Why? Because he saw his target backing away and he had to move fast. Lucky for him he caught her shocked gaze, eyes big as if she’s a hippogriff caught on a lumos light. A small smirk made its way to his lips as he didn’t broke eye contact with the girl from the other end of the hallway. At least the Felix Felicis potion is still working.

"Oh really? Stop playing with me Cho! If I didn't know any better, you're the one hallucinating!" Okay, that hurt. Kyuhyun momentarily broke his gaze from his target to make sure he sent the most withering glare he could muster at Hyuna before gripping her arm a bit hard and pushed her slightly off of him.

You'll pay for that.

Yet Hyuna only smirked at him.

I'd like to see you try.

"I'm not. In fact my date's here." Kyuhyun growled as he walked past Hyuna, bumping her shoulder hard in the process, and walked towards the other end of the hallway, his sly eyes meeting those doe like ones once more and he almost smirked when he heard a squeak and a frantic shuffle of feet.

Too late for that.

"There you are. I've been waiting for you for ages, you know. Come on, I'll walk you to your tower." Kyuhyun dared not to look at her expression and decided to just grab her arm, and boy did he almost jump for joy. He slightly dragged the startled Gryffindor away from Hyuna who let out a scandalized, yet albeit fake, gasp before cursing him loudly. The cursing may be far more real than the gasp. Thank Merlin the girl he's dragging is still too stunned to react because he knew he's dead once she gained her wits. He sneaked a look at his fellow Slytherin who immediately smirked as soon as their eyes met. Then Hyuna did a playful salute before blowing a bubble from her gum and popping it as soon as it got bigger. And Kyuhyun knew he owe the girl a real deep e big one that he dreads to do.


Kyuhyun should have known that the lioness would regain her senses too soon, too soon to let him even think of a way to convince her to agree with his impulsive plan. A well-aimed punch at his back along with a kick on his shin was definitely a proof that he's definitely on his way to his own demise.

Fiesty. This is the very reason why he wanted this girl to himself.

"Let go of me you slimy piece of–" 

Well, he could always turn a deaf ear on that filthy mouth of hers. He should remind himself to buy a soap to rinse if he survives this night. A painful surge ran through his shin and it made Kyuhyun halt his steps and hiss painfully. The girl can kick, he gives her that. He let go of her hand and turned to glare at her.

“What the hell is your problem, woman?” Kyuhyun glowered at Sungmin, hair tousled from the breeze that’s playing through the pitch, smudges of icy mud on her cheeks and eyes glaring sharp daggers at him. Kyuhyun swore she’s much beautiful this way and he almost lost his control. He heard her scoff before she freed herself from his grip before brandishing her wand and pointed it at him.

Well, he totally forgot that Lee Sungmin can be very dangerous if she wants to.

“And you have the audacity to ask me that, Cho?” Kyuhyun winced as Sungmin growled and stepped closer, wand almost touching his neck. This part where Sungmin threatens to hex him to the next oblivion wasn’t really included in the plan.

“Well, don’t you think I just solved both our problems?” Kyuhyun chuckled nervously as he tried to step back, only to have Sungmin’s wand edged closer to his throat.

“You telling that Slytherin slu–”

“Language.” Kyuhyun winced as he ignored the pointed glare from Sungmin before she continued.

“–that we’re going to the Yule ball is my problem, you git! Bloody hell, if this gets out… e, this is Kim Hyuna we’re talking about! What are the chances that this news will be out before dinner…hell, if this goes out to Dwiddle-dee and Dwiddle-dum and Ryeowook and…”

Kyuhyun tried to shrug nonchalantly as he ignored the beads of cold sweat running down his temple while Sungmin was obviously having a breakdown. She suddenly withdrew her wand and started pacing frantically in front of him and he swallowed down the small smile threatening to spill on his face. Sungmin suffering from a nervous breakdown is too cute for her own good.  

“Well, let’s look on the bright side, shall we? I’ve finally shrugged Hyuna off of my back and the herd of blokes trying to ask you out to the ball will definitely stay away from you. The least you could say is thank you.”

Sungmin suddenly stopped her monologue and turned towards Kyuhyun with a blank expression and Kyuhyun wan’t sure if it was a good sign or not.

“I didn’t ask for your help, Cho! I was about to say yes to Young–”

“Too bad you’re stuck with me.” Kyuhyun said in a cold voice. His blood turned cold as well as soon as he heard Sungmin’s alleged plan to say yes to Kangin and he thank heavens he managed to corner her first. He didn’t pay any heed to the seething girl in front of him, wand already raised and a number of hexes already at the tip of her tongue.

“I never said yes.”

“Too bad that isn’t what Hyuna heard. Give the girl ten minutes tops and the whole population of Hogwarts would have heard that the great Cho Kyuhyun is going to the ball with Lee Sungmin.” Kyuhyun drawled yet deep inside he’s already jumping for joy, because he gets the girl and his so called friends lost the bet. He could totally remember how Kibum is such a sore loser and Kyuhyun resisted the urge to smirk. Who’s laughing now, asshat?

Sungmin suddenly shrieked, stomping her foot as she flailed her hands and Kyuhyun almost squealed at her adorable state (though he have no idea how her killing aura looked adorable to him, must be true love). Kyuhyun sighed dramatically, effectively catching Sungmin’s glaring eyes. Well, here goes nothing.

“Tell you what, you go to the ball with me and you can ask any favor you want.” This seemed to peak Sungmin’s interest and Kyuhyun swore he would never let anyone get favors from him ever. The favors he did for this damned bet would definitely last him a lifetime already. (Hey, it’s a Slytherin thing, they don’t just run around and do favors for people, you know.)

“Anything?” Sungmin asked with a small voice, the gears on her head seemed to be turning and Kyuhyun would definitely not take favors from anyone, especially from Sungmin from now on.

“Yes. Anything. I can even let your pathetic seeker catch the snitch on our next game.”

“No. We’ll definitely win fair and square on the game.”

“Okay, if you say so.” Kyuhyun smirked as he raised his eyebrow just so he could annoy Sungmin.  Sungmin however, sent him a suspicious look that made him sigh.

“How sure am I that you’d do the end of your deal?”

“Did I trick you about that secret passageway to the pitch that you’ve been using every day?” A blush crept towards Sungmin’s cheeks. Ah, so his hunch is correct, the reason she quickly vanishes was because of the secret passage he showed her.

“I don’t trust the likes of you Cho.”

“But you did that last time. And besides, do I look like I trust the likes of you, Sungmin?” Well, Kyuhyun did trusted Hyukjae and Donghae, but Sungmin didn’t need to know that. In fact, he’d very much prefer that Sungmin wouldn’t know about the whole ordeal with the two beaters.

“One favor. Anything I ask.”

“Yes.”

“And no funny business from today until the ball.” Kyuhyun scoffed before he motioned towards his hand outstretched to Sungmin.

“Are we going to wait for the ball hearing about your conditions?” Kyuhyun resisted the urge to smirk as she received a glare from the Gryffindor. “Well, since you’ve been setting conditions here…”

“No funny business Cho. I mean it.”

“I just want you to keep this whole deal a secret, you know. Like… I asked you properly to the ball and .” Kyuhyun muttered as Sungmin cocked an amused brow at him.

“And what if I don’t?”

“Well… at this rate, Hyuna probably announced the news to half the students anyway… you can thank me for the tons of homework waiting for you.”

“I still have Youngwoon though.”

“Ah, but who’s to say he didn’t ask anybody else after hearing the great news?” The feeling of triumph was one of the best feelings that Kyuhyun liked to get basked in. Especially if said triumph is anything related to Sungmin. And now as he looked at Sungmin who’s dejected sigh signaled his triumph, he couldn’t help but feel the victorious shiver on his spine. Then finally, the Gryffindor took Kyuhyun’s hand and shook it gently yet firmly.

“Deal.”


Kyuhyun could still feel his hand getting warm from the brief handshake he had with Sungmin as he made his way to the dungeons. A smile was permanently etched on his face while he said the password and the door creaked, revealing the dark and warm common room he had always loved. His eyes quickly zoned in on a group of boys lounging on some couches fidgeting and the smile seemed to grow wider.

He walked towards them with a spring on each of his steps while blatantly ignoring the hush whispers of the students that were currently staying on the room. On the corner of his eyes, he saw Hyuna perched on a table with a smirk as she chewed her gum noisily, yet he continued to trudge down the couches.

“Ah nice night, isn’t it boys?” Kyuhyun called out as he plopped on a love seat across the three who wore blank expressions. Kyuhyun smirked at them as he lounged on the soft cushion of the seat while his cousin glared daggers at him. He then crossed his legs and met the glare with eyes twinkling in revenge before he opened his mouth and spat out the words that annoyed him greatly these past few days. Oh how, he waited for so long to finally say it to Kibum.

“Guess who’s flashing his manly bits to the whole Hogwarts populace, dear cousin?”

And the Slytherin common room seemed to be the most welcoming place Kyuhyun had ever stayed at as he sang that damned tic-toc song on his way towards his bunk.