Under the Influence

Under the Influence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber woke up with a pounding headache. She stared up at the ceiling and sighed, once again closing her eyes. "Just another morning." She thought. She looked around the familiar room. She tried to regain her composure and tried to remember the events of last night despite the throbbing in her head.

Images of blue and green laser lights, beautiful inebriated people, and two familiar faces flashed through her mind. "I guess I did it again." She concluded. With shaky hands and smeared makeup, she tried to leave but she can't stand. She cursed.

"Don't." A voice said from the bathroom. "You'll just hurt yourself." The person continued.

She groaned. All she got in response was a laugh. "I think I'll be better off dead." She uttered.

"That bad huh?" The man entered the bedroom holding a glass of water and a single tablet of pain killer. "Here take this. Let's pretend that it'll help." He laughed.

"Thanks Henry." Amber said after swallowing the pill and downing the glass. "What on earth would I do without you?" She exclaimed.

"Nothing. You'll be dead to the world Amber Josephine Liu." He replied seriously.

The gravity of Henry's words rang through Amber's head. He's right. Amber would be nothing without Henry. She would literally be dead without him. She'll be rotting six feet underground right now if she didn't meet Henry Lau on that fateful night.

 

She placed her hand on his cheek. "I love how you don't have a verbal filter." She said with a light laugh before giving him a playful kiss on his cheek.

He held her hand on his face "I know." He said as he kissed her palm.  

He looked into her eyes as if he was searching for something. Henry sighed. "Amber" He placed another kiss, this time on her lips, before continuing. "I'm sick of our condition." She avoided his gaze. He was referring to them not having any labels. "But damn it!" He exclaimed as he held her face to make her look him in the eyes. "Your kiss is my addiction." All thoughts were thrown out the window as he kissed her deeper and they became breathless. 

She came to her senses before she let their passion take over. "Hey" She said after breaking away from Henry's lips. "Yeah?" He said as he moved to her neck. Amber will not give in this time.

"Let's get breakfast. I'm hungry" Henry stopped at this and let out a laugh. "It's five hours past breakfast time Amber!" He continued. "Well, it's breakfast time for me!" She replied as she got up from the bed and headed to the bathroom to make herself look more like a person. Henry closed his eyes and stayed on the bed as he said "Oh God. I think I love you even more."

 

As Amber got herself ready, Henry continued to think about the girl in his bathroom. He's been hooked ever since the day she came storming into his life. She literally fell into his arms eight years ago looking like an angel. A really glamorous broken angel.

Henry has no idea how it happened. It started out with her buying him a drink as a thank you gift for saving her life as she fell from the stairs of the club, then they became friends as they saw each other on campus, then she cast a spell on Henry and he became hers ever since.

He smirked as he thought about how crazy that sounded. "A spell that knows no moderation." He whispered to himself. She has him at her beck and call and, more often than not, it's dangerous, the things they do.

 

She came out looking pristine, as always, Henry thought. "Come on! I'm really hungry." She said as she looked for her shoes. He reached under the bed. "Here." He called her and saw him holding her shoes. "You kicked them under the bed last night." He chuckled. "Thank you! Now let's go! You have to feed me." She said as she slipped on her heels and pulled Henry to his feet.

"Are you sure you're going out like that?" Henry chided. She wasn't able to salvage her top from last night so she ended up wearing his college shirt that shrank from yesterday's laundry on top of her shorts. Of course, there was nothing wrong with what she's wearing. In fact, she looks like she stepped out of a high fashion photoshoot. He just loves to poke fun at her.

She didn't even spare a glance. "Yeah. What's wrong? These are technically your clothes so if you're going to insult me, you'll just end up bashing your own fashion sense." She said in one breath as she continued to pull Henry off of the bed.

"Alright. Fine." He gave in. "Let's go get you fed." He said as he stood up. Amber just smiled her usual charming smile and led him to the door.

 

This is what happens whenever he's with her. He acts as if he's under the influence. He's drunk off of Amber and he has no defense. He knows it's wrong. It's very wrong, but it feels so right every single time.

"It might be criminal,"  He thought to himself as he glanced at her while driving. "But still, I just can't quit." He finished his train of thought as the stop light turned green and they headed to the diner. As they ate their breakfast in silence, Henry thought of it once more. He thought about letting her go a million times already, but he can't. Even though it's wrong, she's too precious to him.

Henry knows her secret. She trusted him enough. "I'll take the consequences." He thought to himself as he let himself get lost in her devilish beauty. "If it's poisonous," He continued in his head while looking at her as she ate her pancakes. "Let it take my last breath." And he promised himself that it will be the last time he'll ever think of letting go of her.

Henry promised that he will fight for her until the end.

 

Henry's gaze doesn't escape Amber. She just flashes him a smile as she ate her food. "Thanks for the treat Henry!" She continued eating. "You didn't really give me a choice Amber." He replied. It's true. Amber knows he turns into putty in her hands. They all do.

She just smiled and ignored that thought. She almost failed last night. She let herself give in to temptation and revert to her old ways. This is what happens to her every single time. The temptation creeps up on her, gets under her skin, won't let her be, and viciously, unrelentingly, haunts her days and haunts her sleep.

Henry was the unfortunate soul who was at the receiving end of the monstrosity that Amber tries to bury deep within. Or at least, a part of it.

She was doing so well before. She was beginning to believe that she could be normal. She was spending her days and nights like normal people would. She always wanted to be like the rest. But then she saw him again and everything that Amber was trying to suppress burst free like a wild animal. She recalled last night's events once more.

 

 

She was the first one who saw him. Amber saw him as he entered the club with his friends. He still looks the same. He's still the same old man she fell in love with. She downed another shot of vodka at that thought. She could feel the monster within her wake. He finally spotted her in the club after he took a seat. His heart went haywire and his mind was emptied except of thoughts of her. She still has the same effect on him after all these years. 

Amber tried her best to reign the beast and was debating whether to exit the club now or to handle things calmly. They locked eyes as he approached her. "To lay down again, to give in again, and God, to feel good again..." Amber thought as the monster fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter