Prologue

Blind Steps (Please Look Back)

 

 

"Seulgi!"

 

 

i turned my head and saw Hyoyeon unnie in front of me waving excitedly with a big smile, showing her adorable eye smile. We are in a beach now, since it's summer. Yuri unnie found a beach that barely have people. There's only a few tourists. It's weird but I agreed anyway since Seohyun unnie is not comfortable with a lot people around her. I am with the gang; Hyoyeon unnie, Jessica unnie, Yuri unnie, Seohyun unnie, Wendy, and Joy.   

 

 

"You're spacing out again. Could you please wake up your Jessica unnie now so we can go swimming? She's been asleep for a while now." she said. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Sica unnie sleeping with her head against the bags, i smiled. Looking at Hyoyeon unnie again and nodded. I headed towards Sica unnie and nudged her gently.

 

 

"Unnie, wake up." she stirred a little but nonetheless, still asleep. So I tried again. This time, she woke up and looked at me sleepy.

 

 

"Seulgi bear, what is it?" 

 

 

"We are in a beach unnie. We should enjoy! Stop sleeping! You won't enjoy the trip if you will just sleep. Don't waste the bikini we bought yesterday!" I told her while laughing. She just chuckled and pushed me playfully before she stand up. We both run towards the other girls who are on the sea shore. 

 

 

There, I saw Wendy, wearing a white shirt a white short, she's putting lotion in her arms. She look up at me and smiled widely. I noticed there's a lot of scars on her face, arms and legs up to her feet. I wondered where it came from? She's not the type to be clumsy. Looking at her, it's like she doesn't see her scars and continue putting the lotion. But I let it go. I will ask sometime. Beside her sitting is Joy, smiling widely as she watched the unnies playing with water except, of course, Seohyun unnie. Joy is being careful everytime we go swimming. She doesn't know how to swim. Funny, right? She's with us every year, yet she still doesn't know how to swim. Joy once said that she's afraid of drowning. So she kept her distance. 

 

 

I sat beside her as Jessica unnie continue to walk towards the other unnies. Joy turned her head to me and smiled, childishly leaning her head against my shoulders. We both continue to look at the older girls and chuckled slightly. They're all acting like children, especially Yuri unnie. She loves swimming, quite the opposite of Joy. I remember her saying before, " Playing with fire is fun, and playing with water is just as exciting. But both dangerous. Both can take lives." 

 

 

Yuri unnie, she is probably the strongest friend that I know. Her smiles and laughters can fool everyone. She is a blunt person. But she is as blunt as she is secretive. Her problems are as hidden as your lost pen. You wouldn't know until you noticed it lost. You wouldn't know until she broke down. Which barely happens. For the entire time that I know her, I only saw her cry twice. Not knowing both the reasons. Sometimes, whenever I look at her smiling and laughing, I wonder what kind of problems she is burying in her heart instead of sharing it to a friend. Those kind of people are scary, they keep they're emotions in check so much that other people do not notice when they are already feeling pain. So I decided to keep unnie truly happy always. She's a beautiful person, in and out. She deserves real happiness. 

 

 

But just like Wendy, I noticed something off about Yuri unnie, too. There are burnt patches on her clothes and a few on her skin. I remembered seeing her a while ago holding a lighter. Maybe she played with it and went a little too far. Well, at least she didn't hurt herself too much. 

 

 

Playing with her on the waters is Hyoyeon unnie. Hyo unnie? Everything about her is adorable and lovely. She is kind-hearted. No one could hate her. She loves everyone so dearly. The thing about her is, she doesn't expect anything in return. She will tell you the words 'I Love You' everytime because she said that life is too short, live it to the fullest so you will have no regrets when you die. I wonder if there is someone she likes now. You know, like a boyfriend or something. If there is, he is lucky to have unnie. Looking at her, her smiles are the contented ones. And it's bothering me. But like I said a while ago, I will ask sometime.

 

 Walking along the seashore is Seohyun unnie. Ahh, unnie will be the gentlest person you will ever met. She is a smart but very shy. Other people are envy of her because of her beauty and brains. An ideal type for a girl, you see. Beautiful, smart, tall and yes, rich. She loves reading books a lot. Self-improvement books. I didn't even know that that kind of genre actually exists until I met her. And to tell you, she likes someone now. She really likes him. Everytime I asked her about him, she will blush like mad. That thought makes me smile. Unnie liking a guy for the first time? It will be exciting to watch how it will progress. Knowing the guy is the complete opposite of her personality. Then we will just wait.

 

 

Me? I'm Kang Seulgi. A freshman in college with Wendy. Hyo unnie, Yuri unnie, Sica unnie are all graduating college students. While Seo unnie is on her third year and Joy is a year younger than me and Wendy. 

 

 

Ah! Did I tell you that Yuri unnie is getting married this year? Yep! Also one of the reasons we are here on the beach. We are celebrating. I've met her fiance before; Yesung oppa. He's a young businessman. Definitely rich. He seldom smile to others. You can say that those smiles are reserved for my Yuri unnie. A sweet guy, too. Not the show-off type of guy but whenever I see him look at Yuri unnie, I can tell that he's in love. Head over heels. Oh! The proposal is definitely the sweetest thing ever! For a quiet guy like Yesung oppa, I've seen another side of him. 

 

 

"Yah! You people should stand up there and play with us! How could you just sit there and watch?" Yuri pouted. Wendy, Joy and I chuckled. I have to remember that Yuri unnie is getting married this year and she should be matured. We run towards them and began to play with water, even with Seohyun unnie. We are all happy.

 

 

We are all laughing. 

 

 

These are the times that I'm grateful for having such friends. All the troubles that I've been thinking a while ago disappear. I want to smile with my friends and live life to the fullest.

 

 

"I want a picture! I don't want my outfit to be a waste. Plus! I want remembrance. Come on!" Wendy shouted that made us all laugh. I ran towards the bags and get the camera. I returned and focus the camera to us and all with a big smile on our faces...

 

 

"SMILE!"

 

 

 

 

FLASH!