Recognition

Tachyon

 

It was the third day of your little holiday. You woke up only to feel severe aches in both your legs; they were sore from the hike you had yesterday. Your whole body was stiff. As much as you very much wanted to cook, you couldn’t. You wouldn’t want to walk and stand around; you could already imagine the pain.  It would be too much for your poor legs to bear. Dinner wasn’t a problem since Mrs. Jang would be back to cook. Brunch was.

 

Your thoughts were interrupted when your door creaked open.

 

“You’re finally awake! I made lunch! It isn’t as great as Mrs. Jang’s cooking, but it’s still edible.”

 

You were greeted by a bright smile, and the smell of food. It seemed like your worry was no more.

 

“How did you get in?”

 

He frowned upon hearing your reply.

 

“Shouldn’t you at least say a ‘thank-you’?” He pouted.

 

“Thanks, so can you tell me now?”

 

“Mrs. Jang let me in.” I nodded my head in understanding. “You aren’t even appreciative.” He whispered the last bit.

 

“I can hear you!” You glared at him.

 

“I woke up really early just to prepare this.”

 

“I get it already. I’m really grateful, and I love you this much!” You stretched both your arms to the furthest. “Satisfied?”

 

“That’s better!” Jung Hwan smiled. “Wash up quickly. The food is getting cold!”

 

You dragged your already sore legs to the bathroom and freshened yourself up. When you finally made it to the dining room, you spotted Jung Hwan running about doing the dishes and humming a merry tune. Your brows instinctively knitted together.

 

“Why are you fine?” you asked as you took your seat.

 

“I guess it’s because I’m me?” He laughed at his own statement.

 

You rolled your eyes and started eating. The eggs were slightly burnt, but his cooking was passable for a guy.

 

“How’s it?” He turned to face you with his sparkling eyes.

 

“It’s not that bad.”

 

“Serious?” His eyes glistened more. “I always know I’m a great cook!” His spirits were lifted higher.

 

“I didn’t say it’s good either.” You stuck out your tongue.

 

“I can’t hear you!” he said in a sing-song manner, and he covered both his ears.

 

“Childish,” you commented before resuming your meal again. “What’s the agenda for today?”

 

“Why don’t you decide instead?”

 

“Let’s just stay home!” You wouldn’t want to torture your legs. Besides, you had something to attend to too.

 

“As you wish,” he said.

 

You did the dishes and went back into the room while Jung Hwan lazed around. You took a peek at the maple leaf sandwiched between the newspapers before placing the thick books above it again. It wouldn’t do. You didn’t know how to go about making a pressed bookmark actually. It was supposed to be a present for Jung Hwan so you couldn’t ask him. You ruffled your already messy hair in frustration.

 

You decided to ask your grandmother for help. It was your last resort.

 

“Gran,” you called out as soon as her image showed in that tiny box. “I need a little help here.”

 

“Shoot!” She showed you a toothless grin.

 

“I’m planning to make a pressed bookmark and –” The poster behind her caught your attention.

 

“Jas?”

 

“Can you zoom in on the poster behind you?”

 

“Hold on,” Your grandmother shifted herself in front of the yellowish poster.

 

The colours were fading, but you could still make out the five handsome faces. The one second from the left caught your attention. His jaw was sharper and his slightly chubby cheeks were no more. He wasn’t hiding behind a pair of thick glasses anymore. He was much taller and leaner, but you could still recognise him. That bright smile stayed the same.

 

“B1A4,” you read off the poster. “Who’re they?” you asked your grandmother.

 

“They’re my grandmother’s favourite group from the 21st century. I used to sing their songs to you when you were younger too!” She smiled. “You love their songs so much!”

 

You started humming a familiar tune, one that was etched so closely to your heart. Everything clicked instantly. It’s no wonder that you found him strangely familiar during your first meeting. You stared at the boy in the poster grinning at you. He was always there, throughout your sixteen years of life. How could you have forgotten?

 

Lee Jung Hwan, the boy who was always smiling.

 

“I pray no tears in your dreams.

I know you’ll fly high in your life.”

 

 


 

Author's note:

I feel that INFINITE's 'Fixed Star' and 'Back in Time' by Lyn fit this story really well.

Try listening to them. :)