Before It All Began

Unveiling Time

정희주; 너일지도 몰라

----

Time was ticking on the clock, but it took an eternity for every minute to pass.  Minyoung glanced at the clock every three seconds, impatiently waiting for the bell to ring, as it would signal the start of the winter break. 

She fidgeted with her pen and scanned the classroom.  Her gaze fell on a boy looking out the window, and when he turned around, their eyes met.  They held their gaze for ten seconds, then her eyes fleeted away.  Finally, the bell rang. 

“Well, that took a while.” she said, exasperated. 

“I know, you’ve been staring at the clock nonstop since period five began.” Jaeun giggled. 

“Don’t blame me, History is the worst class of the day.  Anyhow, I have to go.  See you in two weeks!” Minyoung replied. 

“He won’t kill you if you’re five minutes late, Minyoung!” Jaeun hollered. 

Minyoung turned around and stuck out her tongue, then disappeared in the crowded hallway. 

“Chaejin Oppa!”

“Minyoung!” Chaejin waved from the row of lockers, where they usually meet after school.  She ran behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist. 

“I missed you,” she said. 

“You haven’t seen me for an hour, cutie.”

“You don’t miss me?”

“I do, but if you miss me this much now… will you be able to survive without seeing me during the break?”

“We can video chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,” Minyoung said, stifling her giggles. 

“I guess we could,” he gulped.

“I’m just kidding.”

She let go of his waist and hopped in front of him. 

“I wish we could spend time together during the break though.” she sighed. 

“I know, but you have to go to your grandfather’s house in Busan every time there’s a holiday.  It’s okay, when we’re married we’ll have plenty of time to spend with each other,” he smiled, his deep dimples showing.    

She couldn’t help but crack a grin.  Ever since she had started dating Chaejin a month ago, she felt like the most fortunate girl in the world.  He was so sincere and romantic; sometimes, she even thought they were a married couple.    

“Why are you so cute?” she said, while pinching his cheeks. 

“Minyoungie, it hurts!” he winced. 

“Shall I blow on it for you?”

“H-huh?” 

She leaned in close to his face, missing his lips by only an inch, and she blew on his cheeks.  Her breath sent chills down his spine, and his cheeks flushed a deep shade of red. 

“Oh no!  I think it’s really starting to bruise; your cheeks are turning red.” She panicked and blew harder. 

“It’s fine,” he stammered, stepping back a little. 

It was a little queer how Chaejin was shy; after all he was one of the renowned kingkas at the school.  Chae Jinseok, the handsome, athletic boy with a killer eye-smile and a lean figure.  That’s right, pretty much a Noona’s dream come true. 

“What’s up?” a boy with striking red hair yelled, slinging his arm around Chaejin’s shoulder. 

“Seyong, why are you here?” he muttered.  “Oh, busy with Minyoung?  Is she coming with us to the United States?” Seyong questioned. 

“Yah, Hyung…”

“United States?” Minyoung questioned, one eyebrow raised. 

Oblivious to the situation, Seyong laughed.  “You’re coming right?  My girlfriend is coming, same with Junkyu’s girl, Insoo’s girl, and Gunwoo’s girl.”

“She can’t come, she has plans.” Chaejin replied quickly, shoving his Hyung away. 

Seyong shrugged, and started walking away.  “That’s too bad.  Well, come hang with us another time Minyoung.”

“Mhmm.”

“What was that about?” Minyoung inquired, when Seyong was out of sight. 

“I knew that you’d feel this way, so I didn’t tell you about it.  Besides, I knew that you would have to visit your grandfather during the winter break.” Chaejin defended.

“Or you didn’t want me to go, because I’m an embarrassment?” 

“What the hell are you talking about?” 

“I don’t know, I just… I don’t know, okay?”

“Minyoung…”

“I’ll text you later, I have to go home and get my luggage.  I’ll be leaving this evening, so I’m honestly in a rush right now.  Enjoy yourself in the United States.” 

She quickly ran towards the exit, trying to control the negative thoughts circulating in her head.  Just as she step foot outside the school, she heard a voice behind her.

“You dropped this.” 

She turned around, facing a tall boy with black hair, bangs hovering above his eyelids.  At first, she didn’t recognize him… but after meeting his eyes, she did. 

“Oh, you’re in my History class, right?”

“I guess.”

“Thanks… Gongchan?” 

She was a bit unsure if that was his name, but since he didn’t respond, she assumed it was.  She reached for her phone, and their hands made a bit of contact.  She was about to leave, but she quickly turned around. 

“Have a good break, Gongchan.”

He nodded in response and slowly walked away.  He was always quiet and never spoke a word, a mysterious boy.  Generally someone that is hard to notice, but Minyoung had made eye contact with him several times, both in class and in the cafeteria at lunch.  He usually wasn’t aware of his surroundings, but he occasionally glanced at Minyoung.  Why?  He was unsure, but he always felt his heart churn whenever she walked past, whenever she glanced at him from afar, whenever she was with Chaejin.  Was it because he liked Minyoung or was it something deeper than he could imagine?   

----

Forgive me for the utterly boring chapter, but anyone want to come up with couple names for both pairings?  LOL, really.  

Replies:  
@kyjjangyo:  Of course you are, Gongchan's in it LOL.  Well, APLS is my first collab fanfic haha.  We'll see, we'll see, hopefully it'll turn out alright.  Glad you think so, it really contributes to the mood right? 
@blacknightsky:  Thank you, really.  Fantasy and historical is a bit difficult to write though, let's hope I'll be able to do a decent job!  
@yuniya:  Thanks for supporting me, Aniya!  I haven't talked to you in so long, miss you loads.  Aha, I'm glad that you haven't read a fantasy fanfic in a while - I actually love fantasy, but there aren't many on AFF!