Final.

A Cold Night

 

The cold night shivers against the skin of mine. It is very dark outside but I have no complaints about it. The cold December night has always been my favorite. Because we can never feel the warmth in it unless we want to.

It chocks.

I stay there under a small rusty hut, waiting for somebody to pick me up. With a tired sigh, I wave again at the transports such as cars and lorries to send me to a place. But all of them ignore me.

“Aish,” I whine softly.

Then my phone rings, startling me. I grunt under my breath and picks up the call.

“Where are you?”

“Somewhere. I lost.”

“What do you mean you are lost? Is there any signboards?”

I look around and see an old signboard. That will do. I cough a bit before I reply the question earlier.

“It says Hardee Co. I don’t know what that is but yeah, that’s the only sign available here. Where are you?”

“Hardee’s? Oh, I know that. Can you like walk for a few minutes until you see a petrol station. Wait for me there I’m going to pick you up.” The caller hangs up and left my question unanswered. I roll my eyes and pocket my phone back, shivering again. But I never regrets, because this is my favorite weather. I can’t wait to go back home and chill around with a hot chocolate.

As I follow the caller instruction, I walk for a few minutes and see a petrol station. I shudder and wait again.

After a half an hour, I see the caller black car. She always loves black, maybe because it suits her but I never know. She never tells nor do I intend to ask her.

She stops the car in front of me and opens the door. “Hey, where the heck have you been?” She asks once I let myself into the car. I smirk at her, “So now you care?” She scoff, “Don’t be like this please? You know that I do care.”

Yeah right.

I shrug my shoulders and look at the window, staring at my scenery which contains houses… and houses…. And trees… and yeah that basically it.

“Come on, don’t be like this.” She tries to persuade me. I sigh softly, nodding my head.

We are silent for a few minutes before she speaks again, “I’m going somewhere. I’m going to drop you off at house and stay there. You are cold as ice.” She spat. I snort, mumbling a ‘yes, mom’ before I stare again at the window and just… doing nothing.

Once she set me in front of the apartment, I sniff and left her car.

I sigh again, walking to the elevator and press the up button. Then, a guy stand beside me waiting for the elevator too. I give him a mere glance before shivering again, tightening the knots of my coat. Finally, the elevator arrives.

I enter it with the guy and press the button of my house floor. I give a warm sigh since in the elevator it’s not very cold inside it.

And then my phone ring interrupting my sweet moment. I grunt again before picking up the call.

“What.”

“Wow, why so bitter?”

“Quick, give me a reason why do you call me when I have my sweet time in my house and chill? No parties. I will kill you if you call me drunk to pick your out there.”

Then a hear a soft chuckle but I’m not very sure.

“Feisty, aren’t you? Well, afraid not there isn’t any party today because the seniors has finals. So you are safe my dear ones. But babe please, let’s chill. You’ve been busy this whole time at school and I missed you.”

I chuckle bitterly. “Yeah sure you do. Let me tell you one thing. If you think that Nari likes you didn’t mean I do. So get out of here and don’t call me again. I swear I will confiscate your phone and throw it at Paradise Lake.” I hang up and roll my eyes irritated, I’m sure he calls me just to annoy the heck out of me.

Then, the stop at my floor. I walk out and lazily take my time to arrive.

I look behind me and notice that the guy in the elevator earlier has been following me. I narrow my eyes at him and pay no heed because he doesn’t even look intimidating to be a killer. But then, there’s a saying that ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’.

I stop suddenly, making the guy behind me stop.

I mutter a soft whine and look back at him who’s giving me a blank stare. I clear my throat before flips my hair, “Um, can you like tell me what’s your problem? I know I’m pretty but you don’t have to-“

“Flatter yourself,” He cuts me. I furrow my eyebrows, “What?” He smirk, “You don’t have to flatter yourself. I live here.” Okay, you can hear the BGM sounds of the sheep in Reply 1998. I blink my eyes rapidly at the guy before blushing real hard.

“Really?! Then why I never see you around?” I half-yell. He chuckle, “I just moved last night. And now trying to enter my house but I have wasted my time talking to you. So please, don’t flatter yourself and move.” I gape at him when he push me by one finger.

He opens the door of his house and give me a half smirk, “But you are pretty,” Before he close the door.

I scoff loudly, “SURE I DO!” I huff and opens the door of my apartment, slam it as hard as I can. Ugh, what a day.

 

I wake myself up the next morning, stretching my tired limbs and groan. Fixing my hair into a very messy bun, I turtled-walk to the kitchen to fix some coffee.

I didn’t notice that there’s someone sitting at the sofa of my living room until he clears his throat.

I jump at the sound of a deep voice before I look around. And then, I see that guy who I exclaim being a killer. But because of my great acting skills, I show him a blank cold stare. We keep on staring at each other for I don’t know what hours until Nari shows up.

“Good morning! And hi, Sehun.” She waves at the guy.

I give her a glance before walking towards the kitchen, fetching a pot of hot coffee, thinking that Nari did it.

“Thanks for the coffee, Nari.” I thanks her. She looks at me confusedly before she nods furiously, “Sure! No problem.” I raise a brow at her fishy action but say no word. I look again at the guy before I ask Nari, “What is he doing here?”

Nari look at me and him repeatedly before she gives me a smile, “You see, Sehun is our neighbor. And he goes to our uni. And I need your help, since of course you are the top student of our uni and obviously you are very kind-hearted. Can you please-“

“No.”

“W-what?” She flusters.

I sigh at her before sipping again my coffee, “No. I have work to do. After class I have to go to the library to do a project which all my workmates left me to do it alone. And of course, I have no say about it. And I have to go to work after that. And you know how y my boss is. So no, thank you.”

Nari pulls her aegyo cards, “But please? I have a date after classes, babe. Can you? For a day? It takes a few hours though?”

I roll my eyes at her, “Please, Nari. Don’t make me hate you. I am tired and now I need to go freshen up or Kwon’s gonna curse the hell out of me if I’m late. Excuse me.” I left both of them and go inside my room, taking a bath and wears a casual clothing, slipping into a pair of sneakers, taking all the files and books that I need into a bag, at my hand is my phone before I left the house.

 

“She’s so stubborn,” Nari pouts. Sehun gives him a small smile. “Its okay, Nari-ah. She doesn’t remembers me though.”

Nari looks shock for a second, “She does! Oh my gosh, how can she? You used to be best friends!” Sehun smile bitterly this time.

“Used to.”

 

I push open the main glass for of the campus, sighing warmly at the hot air inside. I sniff, the weather is too cold today.

I regret wearing a simple graphic tee and only black jeans with a coat. I should have wear my thick sweater today. But since today I only got a few classes until 3, I feel a bit light-headed but still fine. I sniff again.

Entering my class, I wave my hand at a few people who I knew and sit at my usual place, at the back. People didn’t sit at the back too much because they tend to sleep. But why should I care? I top every subjects here. The lecturer can go to hell with it.

Yawning, I put my head at the table and slowly drift to sleep.

After a few minutes, someone nudge my at the side causing me to groan. I peek with one eye just to see my seatmate, Haneul.

“He’s coming,” She whispers.

I yawn before nodding my head, blinking my eyes because its watery.

“Good morning class,” Our lecturer says. We all mumble a ‘good morning’ before he proceeds. I try very hard to not go back to slip by slapping my face a few times.

And it work.

 

After that class, I slip out to go to the vending machine to buy some energy drink and a bar of Snickers. I buy the two of them and uncap the bottle, drinking it. I let out a breath and wipe my lips with the sleeve of my coat, unwrapping the bar of chocolate.

Munching it slowly, I walk to my next class.

After all the classes has ended, I sigh very hard, causing Haneul to throw me a pity glance, “Are you okay?” I dismiss her with a hand.

She understand that I don’t want to talk by nodding and read her notes.

I turn my gaze from my notes to her, “Hey, I’m going to the library. If Nari asks for me, say that I’m there. And I don’t want to go anywhere except there. You get me?” She do an ‘Okay’ symbol. I nod my head at her and sling my bag, going out from the class to the library.

Throughout the day of reading notes and books at the library, I receive a text by my co worker.

Shop closed for today. Boss in Malibu. Holiday – Junhee

I roll my eyes, so much for troubling all of his workers. I ruffle my hair and read my notes again until I look back at the clock.

7:45 p.m.

Because its too late and the library is going to close in 20 minutes, I close the books I take and put it back on the shelves, keeping my notes with careful in my bag and ready to go home.

Haneul nor Nari text me so that’s good.

Opening the door of my house, I let out a shiver and slip off my coat. Heavy steps on the floor, I flick open the switch of the light in my room thinking of nothing but good shower. After shower, I let out a breath, feeling comfy and sleepy in the same time.

I slip in my thick sweater and a pants since its not really comfortable wearing shorts in a cold weather even if I have a heater in my room.

Yawning for god knows how many times, I close my eyes and slip into oblivion.

 

The next morning is like a blur to me, just studying, studying until your head hurts, studying until your head bursts open. I’m kidding.

But my head is in pain because I’ve been to Nari that I need an aspirin. She quickly grabs some tablets from her room and give it to me. I swallow it and drink a glass of water.

“Look at you. Why are you so stubborn? Can you like, hear for once? Now your head is hurts and then you are going to be a psycho and going to rants thing at me.” I glare at her before I snap, “Then? Why should I do? Should I scream at your ears about how adorable unicorns are? And it doesn’t even exist for god sake.” Nari gasp loudly before shooking her head, “How dare you disgrace the name of unicorns? You don’t even know you have hurt at least a quarter millions of people who believes unicorn do exist. You hurts the childrens! You are an embarrassment.”

I roll my eyes before laughing hard.

She’s a goofball, seriously. Somehow, I thanked her for being patient with me when no one else can. Except for someone but I’ve forgot his name. Is it a he or a she? I don’t know. I shook my head before I ask Nari to do a cup of hot chocolate for me which she complaints but do it quietly after that.

At night, Nari invites a couple of our friends for uni to chill for pizzas and beers. I reluctantly say no at first but she says she’s going to pay all of the pizzas and beers so I agree. Who can say no to free foods right?

I slip on a thick grey sweater and a black comfy pants before I go out to the living room for some pizzas. I nod my head at Haneul who is flirting with Chen, the tech kid from another faculty at our campus. Both of them smile at me before they shamelessly flirt each other.

I glance around and sees Nari with her boyfriend Chanyeol, another goofball. Which is why they suits each other. Maybe because Nari is too perfect to be truth for Chanyeol because she is his fiancée now. Did I tell you that? I didn’t? Well, .

And then there’s Byun Baekhyun who’s gobbling down two pizzas in his mouth with a bottle of beer in his hand. I smack his head rashly making him chock on his pizza. He curse some colorful words at me before rolling his eyes.

At the sofa, Kyungsoo and Lay seems in a deep conversation with a bottle of beer in their hands. But then I listen to some of their conversations before shooking my head in disgust because they are having a debate about whales.

I greet all of them before plopping into one of an empty couch beside Chen and Haneul before picking up a slice of pizza and eats it.

After a good hours of eating and drinking, most of them are drunk but some of them; Chen, Haneul, Nari and Chanyeol (because they are busy making out at the single couch), and Sehun who’s staring at the ceiling thinking of god knows what.

I ignore him because I didn’t know him much. Actually, I never invites strangers to house but since I saw Chanyeol and Sehun are talking like best buddies earlier, I let it off.

Looking at the clock that says, 2:50 a.m., I decide that I will let all of them have some sleepovers at the living room. Grabbing some empty bottles of beer on the coffee table, I walk to the kitchen and throw it away in the trashbin.

 

“Hey,”

Sehun deep voice startle me. I jumps a bit before I look at him, narrowing my eyes at him because he makes me surprise.

“Yes?”

“Um, can we like… talk?”

I tilt my head confusedly before nodding. I let him into my room which is surprise, surprise neat. I’m not Nari, she’s a troublemaker I tell you. Same as her idiot boyfriend.

He sit at the edge of my bed. I scratch my head before doing the same thing.

“Uh…”

I raise a brow, telling him to say what he wants to say.

He clears his throat, “Um, I don’t know if you remembers me but do you remember eighth grade?” I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I try to remember him in my eighth grade memory before shooking my head.

“I do but I don’t… remember you.”

He sighs, “I’m Sehun. The boy who lives next door? Sehuna? Do you remember me? You used to tease me with that ice cream brand, Melona.” He chuckle.

After he says that, memories of it come rushing.

My eyes widen in shock, “Y-you are Sehuna?!!!” I yell. He sheepishly nod before clearing his throat again. Somehow I remember that he used to clear his throat wherever he’s nervous.

“I’m not surprised you forgot me,” He says.

I shook my head, “I’m so sorry, Sehun. There’s a lot of things had happened years after you left so-“ He chuckle, “You don’t need to apologize. It’s not your fault.”

I look at him once again before slapping his arm.

“And you look so different! Did you do a plastic surgery? You are taller too! I remember that you are only a head taller than me but now…”

He smiles. “Of course I grew up, stupid. And no. Puberty has done all the wonders.” I roll my eyes before muttering a ‘yeah, right’ at him.

“I can’t believe that the kid I used to call Sehuna to grew so handsome,” I mumble under my breath, he raise a brow before smirking, “What did I just hear? You are saying I’m handsome? Why thank you.”

I slap his arm, “You wish!”

He cackles before rubbing the spot I’ve just hit him, “You are no different, though. Your hitting is still painful. But you grew beautifully.” He praise.

My cheeks grows warm, “Thanks I guess…” He just smile.

We talk for a few hours until I unconsciously asleep. Sehun who notices that after he finish his ramble, smile. He swipe the hair at her face, staring.

“You are still beautiful after years…” He mutter.

And then he sleeps beside her, spooning her to transfer his body warmth.

 

“Oi, Sehuna!” I shouts. Sehun looks at me before rolling his eyes, “Can you be like more louder?” He says sarcastically. I grin at him before slipping my arm with his, jumping happily. I’m glad that finals were over. Gosh, it is so tiring.”

He swipes over the hair over my face and tucks it under my ear, “Ha. But you know you are going to top it again. How flattering.”

I pouts, “You promise that you will buy me hot chocolate for a week if I top it again.” He look at me like I just grow another head, “When did I say that, stupid?” I pull out my hidden aegyo card then only certain people can see.

I jut my lips and blink my eyes cutely at Sehun, “Pewwwlissss Sehun-ahhhhh?” I squeal. He shook his head before closing his eyes.

“Aish, fine! But stop with that aegyo thing. It messes with my heart.”

I blush heavily when he says that. I clear his throat before slipping my fingers with him, intertwining it. “Assa! Sehuna is the best!”

He warmly smile.