Chapter 5

Sunrise, Goodbye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Like what Marcus had mentioned at the party, the Princess made headlines. Literally. And it’s all because of him. Aiden dropped the newspaper on the table and closed his eyes as he brushed his face with his hands willing for some resolution to come into his brain as he sat on one of the chairs in his room.

 

No matter how tight the security had been last night, there were photos of him hugging Sandy in the Palace’s kitchen plastered all over the news, be it on television or on print, early that morning. Sandy’s face was obscured by his shoulders but his face was clear enough for the palace to deny it. Not to mention the number of people in that kitchen who had witnessed that and told their friends and the friends telling their friends.  Photographs of him being engaged with the Princess and another of him hugging an unnamed girl working in the kitchens. Some printed that the girl is a palace’s worker and some stated the Prince had snuck the girl inside the palace. Another was stating Princess Ji-Hyun had suffered another humiliation by being jilted the day of her engagement by the brother of the first who jilted her.

 

King Simon’s fury over the news was incomparable. When he had found out about what happened the next morning, as he was too drunk to understand what’s happening around him last night, he ordered his securities to pack up and leave for the North but not wthout leaving a threat to the King and the Prince .

 

“My daughter had suffered enough humiliation from the South but I’m giving you another chance to striaghten this out. One. Last. Chance.” He turned his angry to Aiden. “Until then, no people in the south should cross the border that separates the north because he will be shot on sight.”

 

And with that last parting words, he left, with the Princess behind him, again with her head tucked down.

 

He clasped his hands in front of his mouth as he opened his eyes, feeling guilty over what he had done. Not only to Princess Ji-Hyun but to his country as well. King Simon did not declare war but it was good as  being one. They are going back to where they had started. All because of him. The King asked to be returned back to his room without looking at him and his mother only gave him a look that says Just look at what you have done before following the King on his wheelchair.

 

Now in his own room, alone in his thoughts, he is definite that the culpability of this whole adversity lies on him. Like he knew it would.

 

He put a hand over his chest as his breathing became constricted, the panic seizing him again. Dots of sweat formed on his brows and he stood up trying to get himself to calm down but it was getting harder and harder with each step he made. He craned his neck looking up at the celing of his room trying to get some air but it felt like something was blocking his air passage. A knock on the door sounded and Spencer walked in after bowing down.

 

“Your Grace, I apologize if I did not arrive on time to report on what you have—“ His voice cut off when he saw the sweaty face of Aiden. “Your Grace?”

 

Aiden looked at Spencer while gasping his breath. “I need to get out of here.” He felt like his knees is about to buckle. “Please.”

 

Seeing the look on the Prince’s face, Spencer nodded and opened the door wide for him to pass. Aiden immediately went out of the room, not bothering to get his coat or even telling the King and the Queen where he’s going.  None of the securities had stopped him when he went out of the grounds and went straight to the car, Spencer following close behind. He rested the back of his head on the head rest and closed his eyes, trying to get himself to calm down. He couldn’t hear anything, his ears already felt plugged until he felt the car move. There were a lot of media waiting outside and were snapping pictures of the car. Aiden didn’t know if they knew it was him inside the vehicle but he didn’t stop to wonder about that as he closed his eyes again with rasping breaths on his mouth.

 

The car just kept on driving and Aiden felt calm enough after several minutes to open his eyes to see where they are. They were just passing on trees, driving probably in circles just to bide the Prince some time to get his senses back.

 

“Do you want the windows rolled down, Your Grace?” Spencer had asked.

 

He just shook his head slightly without looking at him and just stared through his window, feeling so weak. He felt so pathetic when attacks like this happens to him like he was some kind of a traumatized child but he couldn’t help them. He didn’t even know when it had started. He just knew it became a full blown attack ever since Andrew had left him the name of the Heir. No one knew of it. Spencer was the only one who had witnessed his attacks several times and they never talk about it. Which he prefers anyway. He heard Spencer telling the driver where to go but none of it registered in his brain. He closed his eyes feeling as useless as he had been when his father ordered one of his favorite ponies to be killed when it accidentally kicked Andrew when they were little. He could only cry in silence with Andrew consoling him and telling him the horse is now in heaven with his mom. Will his father order that pony to be killed if he was the one who it accidentally kicked? He had always wondered about that. Right from there, it was clear how much Andrew had meant to the King.

 

Would it be true that he would eventually resent his brother if he were still  here? Because he was resenting his brother for the fact that he wasn’t.

 

It took a second before he realized the street they were driving on is familiar to him. He turned to Spencer, question in his eyes.

 

“Your Grace, I know it’s not my place but I think she’s the only thing that could calm you down. I apologize if I have been too forward.” Spencer bowed in apology.

 

Aiden just stared at Spencer’s head before turning to look out of the window as they passed the street of HyunSuk.

 

“The Queen, Her Majesty, had ordered for the catering service of Gong restaurant because she wanted Sandy Park to see you with the Princess. Her Majesty planned the engagement with King Simon under the pretense that you had given your consent of the union. His Majesty was informed of the same,” Spencer recounted. “Her Majesty wanted Sandy Park to stay away from you. She was warned last night by one of the Queen’s Intendant when the engagement announcement commenced. And I also found out that Her Majesty is planning to discontinue the orphanage which the Indentant had opposed to as it would reflect on you. The Queen is considering that as of the moment.”

 

He couldn’t believe his mother could be so conniving. He nodded his thanks at Spencer while staring out of the window, his brows creased, wanting to confront his mother. But what choice does he have, really? He know there’s no way he could be with Sandy, no matter how much he would want to. There’s just no way for him to be with her under normal circumstances. Letting go of her last night isn’t a For Now. It’s letting go of her. Completely.

 

The car stopped in front of the Gong restaurant. He was thankful that at least, Sandy’s face was hidden when that photgraph was taken but he knew it won’t be long until the media find out about her if he continued to be out in the open like this.

 

Spencer seemed to always know what is in his mind as he rapped the driver and told him to drive at the back door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aiden stood across from her at the Gong’s parlor, the space too little for the awkwardness he could feel between them. Sandy was looking down on her shoes as she shifted on her foot, not meeting his gaze.

 

“I’m sorry,” Aiden said not finding enough words to apologize. He knew he didn’t plan to come here, didn’t plan on seeing her at all, but here he is, feeling completely at home just by looking at her. He doesn’t know what’s with her or why he felt that he can breathe more if she’s around. He just never thought it would ever hurt her.

 

Sandy finally looked up and met his gaze before giving him a smile. “What are you apologizing for?”

 

For everything, he wanted to say but he just stood there looking at her.

 

Sandy narrowed her eyes at him. “You’re not apologizing because you hugged me last night did you?” She cocked her head to one side thoughtfully. “Because I would really hate that.”

 

Aiden frowned in puzzlement. “What?”

 

Sandy took several steps until she was standing in front of him, the smile on her face wide as her eyes travelled on his face. “Being hugged by a Royal Prince… enough to be photographed and get plastered all over the news? It’s like… woah.” She fixed her gaze on his face before she turned serious despite the smile staying on her lips. Her eyes wandered down to his neck as she said in a quiet tone, “I don’t know what’s happening. You were right, this is crazy.” She lifted her eyes to meet his again. “So if you want to continue being crazy with me, then I’m all yours. Your engagement… I really don’t care about that. It’s only meant to happen anyway. Your princess… she’s… she’s exactly like those princesses the nuns had read to me about and… I have always wanted to see one if I can’t become one.” She let out a single laugh but Aiden could feel his frown becoming more pronounced with every word she’s saying. “Can’t say I’m disappointed. She’s every bit like those I have imagined and more. And that’s the reason why a prince is only meant for a princess.” Then she smiled up at him again. “But if you still wanted to play around with me while you’re… I dunno… thnking of ways on how to sweep her off her feet… then I’m all yours. I’m an ever loyal subject of The Crown.”

 

Aiden refrained himself not to grab and shake her. “I don’t want to play around with you.” His jaw clenched.

 

Sandy’s face fell but she quickly smoothed it out with a wide grin, her face reddening slightly. “Well… of course, you wouldn’t want to.” She let out a laugh as she took a step back. “This is awkward.” She let out a big breath out through before meeting his eyes again. “Well… if you only came here to apologize then… apology accepted. Who am I to actually be offended?” She shook her head.

 

Aiden stared at her more and it took a couple of minutes, he didn’t know how long, before he moved, taking definitive steps toward her. He pulled her on the arm, cupped her face with his other hand and kissed her.

 

It felt like time had suspended with only the two of them and Aiden had wished it were just the two of them. If only… He broke the kiss as he rested his forehead against hers, his eyes still closed. He smiled when he could feel her breath on his face, satisfied that he wasn’t the only one completely affected.

 

“That wasn’t me playing around,” Aiden said almost a whisper.

 

He felt Sandy slowly pulling away from him while looking like there is something she wanted to say but couldn’t. She brushed off Aiden’s hold on her and stepped back. “You really at playing and having fun.” There’s a look of sadness in her eyes that she tried to cover with a laugh but Aiden could tell there’s something more than she wanted to say.

 

“Sandy…” he started.

 

“I’ll be here,” Sandy said looking straight into his eyes. “As long as you want me to, then I’ll be here.”

 

They stood there with their gazes locked and all Aiden wanted to do is just to run away with her. He couldn’t fathom the depth of his feelings that suddenly sprung inside him for her. It was like being hit by a truck. At first he had thought it was only because he felt sorry for her. An orphan. Without a family. Without money. Without anything. But now he realized he had not been aware that she suddenly became someone he needed in his bleak life.

 

A knock on the door sounded and they both turned to find Spencer. “Your Grace, His Majesty is summoning your presence.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All the servants and the guards left leaving Aiden with his father inside the King’s chambers. He was back sitting on his bed with the thick fur of blanket on his lap. He motioned for Aiden to come near him and he sat on the chair beside the bed. He waited for the admonishment to come while staring down but the silence was only filled with more silence. He hesitantly lifted his eyes to meet his father’s. The king was just studying him and he smiled when Aiden finally looked up at him.

 

“Are you regretting that you left the Princess’ side last night?” The King started.

 

Aiden hesitated but thought to give the King an honest answer. “No.”

 

The King scrutinized his face but Aiden didn’t retract what he said. The king sighed. “Who was that girl?”

 

Aiden considered the answer he would give the King and it took him a minute to answer. “She’s… she’s someone important to me.” That’s it. The truth all laid out. It’s his father’s decision if he would denounce him too but he doesn’t think there’s anyway for him to stop thinking about Sandy. Or going to her. He knew that much.

 

The King sighed again as he closed his eyes, probably in disapproval over what Aiden is saying. “I never want this life for you, Aiden.” The King broke the silence. “I would never want you not to have a choice.” He sighed again as if recollecting words he had already thought up before. He opened his eyes but did not look at him. “Andrew… His mother… Did you know that we have met on a hunting accident? I nearly shot her because she was hiding in the bushes and I thought it was a wild boar. She was the Earl’s daughter. And I couldn’t get her off my mind. She was the only woman I have ever loved. And I have lost her too early. My father… my father thought I was too young to be left widowed so he arranged a marriage with a young countess. Your mother.”

 

Aiden’s brow furrowed not knowing how he should feel that the King had never loved anyone except his dead wife. Not even his mother.

 

“We were nothing more than an arrangement. My duty is to father her children. Her duty is to give me one. Two strangers that were sealed to be together because it was expected of us,” the King continued. “I have been… very unfair to your mother. I have been very unfair to you.” The King looked at him. “And I’m sorry. I guess I have put too much attention on your brother and… I have forgotten you. When Andrew left… I felt like his mother left me the second time and… I felt so alone.” The King reached out and covered Aiden’s hand. “And I’m sorry. You and your mother are the only family I got left and I have ignored both of you. I have pushed Andrew to leave and… I don’t want to do the same to you. You thought I didn’t noticed but I know how miserable you are to be taking Andrew’s place. I was also informed that you’re even experiencing panic attacks now.”

 

Aiden sighed inwardly and made a note to talk to Spencer about talking about his condition to his father behind his back. His father reached out and patted his hand. “We were born without a choice, son. That is one privilege we don’t have.”

 

Aiden met his father’s gaze and spoke quietly. “But we can always pave the way to have one. Isn’t that right?”

 

“There is no telling if that is right or wrong. Only you would be able to tell that.” His father smiled and Aiden watched his father’s sunken face, his cheeks sagging. How many years had his father tried to get the peace solid? How many years the King had tried to keep the wars from happening? That even if it’s brewing on the surface, he still kept it at bay by offering the union of his son to the King’s daughter. Two sons.

 

And failed.

 

He knew marriage wouldn’t be an answer. He wanted something more than a marriage to keep the union intact. And he finally knew what.

 

He had called for a driver and Spencer surprising the palace’s staff at his sudden ardent command especially when he was clear that there will be no security that will be riding with him other than the driver and Spencer. He will go to the North to make amends with the King and to offer what he hoped would be a sound arrangement. The Queen being informed of Aiden’s plan immediately commanded for his presence in the drawing room.

 

“No security?” The queen repeated in disbelief. “No. That cannot happen! Do you know how angry King Simon was after he left? No.”

 

“King Simon knows it will be a war if he even so much as hurt a hair in my head. He doesn’t want the war as much as we do. I’m going alone.”

 

The queen seeing the firmness in his face only sighed angrily. “Are you going to make amends by retracting your refusal to marry the princess?”

 

“I didn’t offer marriage for me to retract,” Aiden said. “The North and the South can be united without the means of marriage.  There’s no certainty King Simon would accept what I would offer but I will make sure he can see the logic of it than marriage.”

 

“Marriage is the most solid reason for a union,” His mother insisted.

 

Aiden just looked at his mother straight in the eye as he quietly told her, “And see where you and father is now.”

 

The queen’s jaw clenched. Aiden bowed his head and nodded for Spencer to leave with him but the queen’s voice stopped him.

 

“Spencer will stay,” the Queen said in a hard tone making Aiden pause. “You said you want to go alone. Then you will go alone.” The Queen’s eyes were almost in a slit as she said without looking at him.

 

Aiden looked at Spencer and just nodded before leaving the room. The car has already been readied out of the Palance’s entrance and he slid in. He clenched his fists praying that his purpose will end with good results.

 

 

 

 

 

The Queen knew why her son is doing this. For that filthy peasant. She looked at Spencer who was waiting for her permission for his leave.

 

“Have securities follow Aiden.,” she ordered. “Make sure there are no signs of any attempts to harm him while he’s in the North.”

 

“Yes, your Highness,” Spencer said bowing to leave but the Queen stopped him again.

 

“After that, I only want you to do one errand,” the queen said. “Take me to her.”

 

Spencer wasn’t stupid. She knew he knew who she was talking about. Spencer had looked up at her in surprise before casting his eyes down and bowing his assent.

 

Rding with a number of securities that late afternoon, the Queen didn’t waste any time at all. They were on their way to the Gong Restaurant with the Intendant and Spencer, who was fidgeting in his seat. She looked out of the window when the car stopped and one of the security opened the car door for her after surveying the sorroundings. One of the other security went inside the restaurant and announced the Queen’s visit, surprising the staff. Mrs. Gong looks frantic and bowed when the Queen went in. The restaurant already had its closed sign and one of the staff was clearing the floor when she walked in.

 

“Wh—what can I do for you, Your highness,” Mrs. Gong stuttered.

 

The Queen lifted her chin as she regarded the owner. “I need to speak with Sandra Park.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The small room that Mrs. Gong had led the Queen with Spencer and the Intendant is small and smells funny but the Queen didn’t pay any attention to that as she studied the girl who was sitting across from her with her head bowe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter