Chapter 2

Sunrise, Goodbye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The prince did not go through any abduction, whatsoever. It was a completely erroneous assumption. The prince merely asked one of the HyunSuk citizens to show him around and lost track of the time. The Palace, and the Prince, His Grace, deeply apologizes to the people in HyunSuk City for causing concern and extemely grateful for the hospitality he received.”

 

Aiden was standing near the window of his room as he listened to one of the Palace’s Royal Speakers answer questions from the media, the volume of his television at a minimum level but the silence of his room made it seem like it was its maximum. It has already been 4 hours since he was rescued and brought back to the safety of the palace. He should be resting right now.

 

But he couldn’t even close his eyes. He’s too restless. Strangely feeling concerned at the thought of what happened to that weird homeless girl. He had been adamant that she should be set free because nothing had happened to him. Nothing that would really concern the palace. He had firmly ordered Spencer to have the girl set free.

 

“Call whoever you need to call and let her go,” he said in the car after Spencer had finished talking with someone on the phone.

 

“Your Grace—“

 

“I want her free. Nothing happened to me.”

 

“Your Grace, it could be part of a ploy to catch you unaware or she could be sent to gain your trust.”

 

“I don’t trust her. I just think she should not be thrown in jail by merely playing around.”

 

He had dismissed whatever reasons Spencer had tried and when they arrived, there were a lot of media people blocking the way and the driver had to honk several times before they disperse. His mother was worried sick and he reassured her that he was fine and that it was just a mistake. Hours later, the palace had given its statement with his supposed abduction. But nothing as to the state of the girl who was accused of such.

 

A knock on the door made him turn and he find Spencer entering his room, bowing. “You Grace, i have gathered all the information you have requested.” He laid a folder on the desk beside the couch and straightened up. “Her name was Sandra Park. Or Sandy, as most people in her town calls her. She’s an orphan. She was only 7 when her parents died in the war with the north in 1977. They were both soldiers. The chief of police in HyunSuk city, Chief Jin Young is her godfather. His father’s bestfriend. He had 6 mouths to feed that he is unable to take Sandra Park in his care so he put her in the orphanage in YG Town. A little town located in HyunSuk City. Most of the children whose parents died in the war were placed there. When she turned 18, she moved out and got the house her parents had left and got a job as a dishwasher at the Gong Restaurant and Catering. She had been caught shoplifting, breaking locks, and picking pockets a number of times but hasn’t been pressed on for charges with the chief as her godfather.”

 

Aiden just stood there listening attentively.

 

“And she does not seem to know who you are,” Spencer added. “She was completely... shocked... when she finds out she had played the Royal Prince.”

 

A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. He guessed as much. “So, we imprisoned the daughter of two of our country’s heroes?”

 

“She has been detained in the chief’s office but was already set free earlier this morning.”

 

He nodded. “Thank you,” Aiden said satisfied. He knew he could count on Spencer to get the information he wanted. Another knock sounded on the door and he turned to find his mother, the Queen, striding in. Spencer bowed before exiting the room leaving them.

 

“How are you?” The Queen asked.

 

“I’m fine, Mother,” he answered. That’s what his mother would want to hear anyway. “I’ve never been hurt for you to ask.”

 

“Your father was asking about you.”

 

“How is he?” His father, the King, had been sick, lying in his bed for a week now as whatever disease he had caught is eating his health. He visited his room earlier that day but he found the king asleep, his skin in pale pallor and his face looking gaunt.

 

“Not looking good,” his mother answered before sighing. “The palace is already fretting on the King’s health. No one is to know about the King’s condition but you wouldn’t know who in this palace would have their tongues wagging. So you better be careful. Don’t go around without so much as an . If your father’s enemies, those vying for the throne, gets wind of the King’s deteriorating health, you would be in more danger than you are right now.”

 

Aiden knew this rebukement is coming but he listened like the good son he is.

 

“You cannot be irresponsible.”

 

“Yes, mother,”  Aiden said. “I apologize if i cause concern and chaos within the palace.”

 

The queen satisfied with his remorse finally smiled. A slight stretch of her lips. “Part ofbeing a responsible King is the ability to know what wrongs you have commited. I’m proud of you, Aiden.”

 

He felt guilty for that. How come his mother is proud of him when he isn’t?

 

“King Simon is requesting for you to visit by the way, and i told him you would,” the Queen continued taking a seat in the couch.

 

King Simon was the King in North Korea. They had managed to obtain a peace treaty after the war but it was a flimsy act of peace until the King, his father, offered marriage to King Simon’s only daughter, Princess Ji-Hyun. His brother, Prince Andrew, was the son that is to marry the princess to unite the two countries. The news of the Prince running off to marry a farmer’s daughter was a big slap in the King’s face and the peace was shattered. He was beyond enraged that his daughter was humiliated like that and it had taken his father so many coaxing and excuses to get him to calm down. His father has not offered him to take his brother’s place in the betrothal area, but he knew he might as well offer to marry the king’s daughter as part of his responsiblity to the country.

 

“I will,” Aiden said satisfying his mother.

 

After that meeting with his mother, he was dispatched to attend the party with the Earl of Ruthingham and the Lord of Janbrik.  With almost an army of securities to accompany him, much to his dismay. But he didn’t utter a single complaint. He could only sigh inwardly before getting into the car. He was mostly forcing a smile all throughout the time at the party, not wanting to offend either of them but like he always felt, it seems like his face is already cracking in half. A lot of the women, young and old, married or single, they were all waiting to pounce on him like a lioness stalking a deer. He saw them doing the same with his brother. But his brother has not been in any of the parties so now they thought they could work on the brother instead. It sickened him to be a prey in the middle of social deities. All wanting to be a part of him, whatever that will be, all because he was the King’s son. He kept telling himself this is his duty. His responsibility. Maybe someday, he would turn to like all the hypocrisy. The thought made him think of that girl.

 

You talk about duty and responsibility but are you happy?

 

I don’t know you but i’d bet you live life the way you were taught to live it, right?

 

Live life to the fullest extent of how you want to live it.

 

If only it were that easy. She doesn’t have a kingdom to think about. A title to be worried about. No. She’s just a girl who’s getting a kick out of stealing. She wouldn’t know about all what’s defining him. Duties, tasks, responsibilities, because she was born without all those.

 

The sun is already gone when they left the Lord’s place. Their next destination is the Marquis’. Aiden could only stare out of the window of the car feeling suffocated again. He swallowed hard wanting to stop a bout of panic attack that is going to rule him in a second.

 

“Go to HyunSuk,” he find himself telling Spencer.

 

Spencer looked surprised at what he said but did as Aiden had ordered, telling the driver to go to HyunSuk. The streets of HyunSuk now looked familiar to him and he could feel that panic ebbing as he gazed out through the window.

 

“Where to, Your Grace?” Spencer asked.

 

“Gong Restaurant,” Aiden answered. He doesn’t why he needed to see that girl. That Sandra Park. Maybe because he feels she’s the only source of insanity in his sane world. A frenzy in his balanced life. He needed that to feel calm.

 

The car parked on the side road, the restaurant the only edifice of grandness in the middle of scruffy houses and seemingly dead playgrounds. The lights are all on and Aiden could see that the restaurant was empty. He opened the door and got out. Spencer followed and Aiden tried not to make a face when most of the securities all got out from their vehicles.

 

“Tell them to stay here,” Aiden ordered Spencer before striding towards the entrance. He found out why the restaurant was empty. It already had a Closed sign. He stood there thinking if he should knock on the glass door when Spencer pushed the door open, the chimes clinking. A young girl, a teenager perhaps,  was at the counter counting bills. She looked up when she heard the chimes and saw them walking in.

 

“Sorry, we’re already clo—“ She stopped when she recognized who walked in and was left open.

 

Aiden bowed in greeting. “Good evening.”

 

A middle aged woman came out from the kitchen. “Minzy, do you know where—“ Then she noticed the Aiden and Spencer. “I’m sorry, we’re closed for the night.”

 

The girl, Minzy, gasped upon hearing her mother and immediately went to her. “Mom! He’s the prince!” She whispered but Aiden heard it.

 

The mom whipped her head back to look at him again and bowed relentlessly. “The prince! Your majesty... Your Highness....Good evening!”

 

“Good evening,” Aiden repeated again hoping she would stop bowing continuously.

 

“Wh—what can we do for you?”  Minzy asked a little nervously. Then she added, “Your Highness.”

 

Before he could answer, the girl he was looking for, Sandra Park came out of the kitchen, extracting the gloves she had in her hands.

 

“I’m done with the dishes. I’m ready to call it a ni—“ Her voice trailed off when she spotted him, her eyes widening, forming an O before immediately turning back and darting inside the kitchen, the door swinging behind her.

 

Aiden stared at the swinging door before turning to the teenager girl. “I came for her.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aiden sat on one of the chairs in the restaurant’s  small parlor with only a small sofa, two coffee tables and a chair. The place where the owner had asked him to rest while she called Sandra. There was only a small window on the right and beside it was Sandra fidgeting as she stood with her chin tucked in.

 

“Won’t you take a seat?” Aiden said in which Sandra only shook her head at without looking at him. He scratched his brows wondering why he even took the time to be here. She’s obviously not the same girl he had met yesterday. Now that she knew who he was, she’s now like everybody else. “Where is that girl who’s fond of making fun of visitors?”

 

The girl looked up at him looking remorseful. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know who you were.”  Then she looked like she was on the verge of curstying but then changed her mind. “Your Majesty...?”

 

“Then why did you keep calling me Duke?” That’s what he’s really curious about.

 

“I thought that was your name,” she explained. “You had this paper in your wallet with Duke written on it and then a phone number.”

 

Aiden frowned then he remembered that he did put a paper in his wallet earlier that day. He was in a council meeting when he had absentmindedly doodled his title on a piece of paper and then his number, feeling bored out of his mind. When the meeting was adjourned, he ripped the space where he had written his number and put it in his wallet. He thought writing his number is a private piece of him and he doesn’t want anyone finding it. Even in the trash,

 

“I thought you were just some investor or some businessman,”  Sandra continued.

 

“Do you make fun of businessmen and investors who wanted to provide employment in your city?”

 

“Only those who looked like they wanted to take advantage of the citizen’s gullibility.”

 

“And i’m on those who looked like it?”

 

“No.” She shook her head before grinning a little. “You were the one who looked so gullible, i thought it would be fun.” Then her smile dropped when she realized what she said. She bowed down to her waist. “I’m sorry!”

 

Aiden found himself smiling. He could see that girl he met yesterday. “I could put you in prison but you never did anything to warrant that.”

 

Sandra straightened up, a look of relief on her face. “Thank you. I mean... i really am so clueless sometimes. I don’t watch TV that much and i only know Prince Andrew on the news and i only knew the name of his brother but you weren’t on TV much.” She blew out a breath. “It’s a good thing i only kissed you on the elevator.”

 

The memory brought a slight blush on Aiden’s face and he cleared his throat. “What do you mean?”

 

“I’m likely more to be imprisoned if i had hit you,”  Sandra said.

 

Aiden found himself chuckling, a low rumble of his stomach. Sandra just lifted the side of in a lopsided smile.

 

A knock on the door made them turn.

 

“Your Grace, it’s time to go,” Spencer said. Always strict to his schedule.

 

He nodded trying not to sigh loudly. “Wait for me outside.” Spencer bowed and disappeared. Aiden stood up, brushing the lints on his pants. “It was nice meeting you Sandra.”

 

“Sandy,” she said. “I mean, a lot of people call me Sandy so hearing my full name is a little weird.”

 

Aiden nodded smiling genuinely. “Sandy.”

 

She grinned and he turned to walk out of the parlor. He tried to look for the owner or even the daughter to thank them but they were nowhere around.

 

“They’re probably upstairs,”  Sandy said behind him. “This is their house too. I’ll tell them you... said goodbye?”

 

“Please thank them for me too,” Aiden said.

 

Sandy bowed, her hair going all over her face and Aiden turned to walk out. He could see Spencer  already waiting for him along with some of the security guys through the glass doors. He doesn’t know but the sight of them is again making him feel trapped. Caged in. He stopped before he realized it, staring at them. Spencer was standing straight and was waiting by the car. Aiden turned to face Sandy who was now looking at him questioningly.

 

He had always been very careful with what he was given. His image, the King’s, the Queen’s. He was ever the dutiful son. Following every orders, doing every tasks. But at this moment, he only wanted one thing. “I want to be free.”

 

Sandy blinked at him, uncomprehending.

 

“I want to live today like it would be my last,” Aiden added feeling one of his feet is already out of the dungeon he was encased in when he got the words out.

 

She stood there studying his face before a grin broke her expression, understanding dawning in her eyes. “There’s a door out back.” Still grinning, she turned to the kitchen and Aiden followed without looking back. Sandy walked past the crates of newly washed pots and pans, dodging precariously shifting stacks of plastic chairs before pulling open a wooden door. Aiden followed without question and the blast of the night air made him able to breathe. He didn’t realize the air is already constricting inside him, choking him.

 

“Uh oh,” he heard her mutter. He looked at her before following where she was looking at. Three of the security guys were at the corner. And they saw them.

 

“You may want to put your running skills to good use,” Sandy said before breaking into a run. Aiden didn’t stop to think. He turned and ran too, vaguely hearing the securities calling after him. “Your Grace!”

 

He looked back and he saw two of them running after them. He knew the other one probably reported a runaway prince and Spencer is now going to track him down again. Like what he did yesterday. He put in a burst of speed, trying to keep up with Sandy.

 

“Here!” Sandy said turning on an alley.

 

He just kept following her, throwing whatever caution he should have with the wind. Turning here, turning there. He already fell on the bushes, had a thorn scrape his neck, his coat torn on the elbow  but he didn’t stop. And he found himself laughing, feeling exhilirated. Feeling insane! When he a corner, he halted, breathing heavily while he looked around. Where is she? And before he knew it, someone pulled him. He thought they were already caught but it was Sandy. And the door was open on what he thinks is a clothing store.

 

“You—“ He was about to lecture her about breaking and entering but Sandy pulled him in.

 

“We need to change your clothes. You look so conspicuous with your suit and tie in summer,” she said then added thoughtfully. “Do i need to add Your Majesty or something?”

 

“No,” Aiden said trying to catch his breath. “Aiden will be fine.”

 

“Okay, Prince Aiden.” She closed the door carefully and practically crawled on where the men’s clothes are.

 

“The owners are out for a vacation,” Sandy explained at his horrified expression. “If they knew a prince actually raided their store, they would probably put it out on a sign board or something.”

 

Aiden shook his head. “It doesn’t matter. I’ll pay for it. I have money with me. And i don’t see any point of changing. I like my clothes.”

 

Sandy just shrugged. “Your clothes will make you stand out in HyunSk. Do you want to be caught? I’m only helping you in your quest for freedom.”

 

Aiden just sighed and realized she might be right. He went over to look at the clothes. “Alright, but I will choose my clothes.”

 

“Whatever makes you happy.”

 

Aiden chose a shirt with the word that says Bang ‘Em and Sandy laughed when she saw it though he doesn’t understand why. He put it on matching the shirt with a walking shorts. He discarded his leather shoes and took a a pair of sneakers.

 

“How much do you think this all cost?” He asked Sandy.

 

“Maybe a picture with you wearing that is enough payment,” Sandy answered grinning widely. “They could use you as the store’s model.”

 

Aiden just shook his head and just put down a couple of bills in the counter.

 

“This one too,” Sandy said before putting a cap on his head.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“A cap. Haven’t you even seen one?”

 

Aiden added another bill for the cap and they strode out,with Aiden pulling the cap lower to cover his eyes while he looked around. He heard her laugh again.

 

“Stop looking around! You look like you just broke into someone’s house and stole their clothes.”

 

Aiden just fixed her with a dry look.

 

“Let’s go to the mall,” Sandy said.

 

“The mall?”

 

“Yup. It’s where i play my favorite game.” She smiled mysteriously.

 

In turns out her favorite game is stealing. Or shoplifting. He adamantly refused to partake on that activity.

 

“We’re going to return it. It’s the chasing that is fun,” she reasoned.

 

“No!” He refused but Sandy took a small box, probably a candle, and stuffed it in his pocket.

 

“Are you crazy?!” He hissed removing it from his pocket and putting back in the stall. “I said i want to be free. Not to be thrown in jail!”

 

“Like they would,” Sandy said putting another box in his pocket. Aiden just kept on returning whatever Sandy is putting in his pocket and he always ordered her to return whatever it is she put in hers. They were too conspicuous and too obvious that some of the people are already watching them, probably wondering what they were doing. After a moment, he saw a security guard striding toward them while talking to the radio.

 

Sandy broke into a run whilch left Aiden no choice but to run after too. He didn’t know how many security guards is after them but suddenly they were swarmed with a group of them who managed to corner them on the second floor near a bookstore.

 

“You again!” One of the security exclaimed when he saw Sandy.

 

“I miss you too,” Sandy said.

 

Aiden had his arm twisted behind his back and he yelped. It was the first time he was apprehended like this. It was the first time he was apprehended, period.

 

“I wouldn’t do that if i were you,” Sandy told the guard twisting his arm.

 

“Yeah?” The guard said then he twisted it more firmly and Aiden could feel the pain as the guard held his arm behind his back and a hand pining the back of his neck. “Your boyfriend’s a little too soft for your ways?”

 

But Sandy just let out a breath. “You are so gonna regret that.”

 

“The manager won’t be happy about this,” one of the security grumbled and they led them inside the mall’s office. Right at the security room where he had first seen Sandy.

 

Minutes later, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter