Chapter 3

Sunrise, Goodbye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aiden had spent a lot more time at the orphanage than he had planned to. He had stayed for breakfast noticing how little the food had been served and how the children all had to share it. He had refused to eat then, stating he only needs coffee. Spencer did the same and Sandy had looked at him with a small smile on her face as if knowing his secret. It was already close to 9 when Spencer informed him that the Queen is now ordering for him to go back.

 

And now here he is, standing with his back straight in the center of the Queen’s room being reprimanded like a child who had been caught doing something he wasn’t supposed to. He was ordered to be at the Queen’s chambers as soon as he had arrived back at the Palace, Spencer walking right behind him. He had his head bowed in consternation, no doubt blaming himself for having the Prince chastised as if it was his fault.

 

“You have been irresponsible.” His mother, looking like a stern businesswoman with her formal suit, was sitting on the chair she usually sits at to drink her coffee and this morning was no different. She put her coffee cup back at its saucer still looking dismayed. “I thought we had understood each other when we had discussed it.”

 

“It was an orphanage, Mother,” Aiden reasoned. “Nothing wrong with visiting homeless children.”

 

“There is nothing wrong with that if it was included in your schedule. You skipped an invitation with the Marquis that you have already promised to attend.”

 

Aiden gaped at the queen. “You would rather have me attend a party, play games with the marquis and titled people who wastes money on games just for the fun of it, than visiting an orphanage?” He tried not to let sarcasm coat his voice.

 

The Queen’s eyes flashed at him. “It is not a matter of importance. Of course the orphanage deserves the attention of the future king. My point is that you have already confirmed your attendance at that gathering.  You have already given them your word that your presence is noted for. But you disappeared—no, more like runaway— without so much as a flimsy excuse to give to the Marquis who had taken their time out of their schedule to accommodate the setting that is befitting for a royalty such as yourself. Did it ever occur to you that maybe, the Marquis, and the titled people who had took their time to cancel their own schedule just to be there with you? And what about your safety? These people are all trying to ensure that their future King is alive and safe. They were entrusted with your well being but you threw it all away without an ounce of thought on how they will fare with the council once it was known that they lost the Royal Prince. Have you ever thought about that?”

 

Aiden gritted his teeth with that, unable to come up with an answer.

 

“You can visit the orphanage but do it at the time when you don’t have a commitment,” his mother continued. “You running away with that homeless, delinquent girl just to satisfy your whim is not the attitude the King should show his people.”

 

“She’s not a homeless delinquent.” Out of everything that his mother had said, this is one thing he felt like he should defend. He was guilty of everything his mother blamed him for but with Sandy?  Yes, she shoplift for fun but after seeing how she had cared about those children, he couldn’t picture her as anything more than an innocent child herself.

 

His mother narrowed her eyes at him. “Whatever she is, she is not a good influence to your status. She shouldn’t even be in your presence.” She turned to Spencer before Aiden could defend Sandy again.  “And I expect more from you, Spencer.”

 

“I apologize your Majesty,” Spencer said, contrition all over his voice as he bowed his head even more.

 

“It’s not Spencer’s fault,” Aiden said suddenly feeling bad at having everyone being blamed for his actions.

 

“He is at your side to provide you assistance and manage your schedules. He should know better than to let you run off and discard your appointments,” his mother said.

 

“It was my decision. And I ordered him to. Are you telling me he should defy my orders?”

 

“Yes, if what he thinks what you’re doing is not what you should be doing.”

 

“And who decides what I should be doing? If I decide to take too long in the bathroom, overriding the minutes I was supposed to be in a council meeting, should he get blamed for it? If I decided that I feel too sick to get out of bed to attend a party with the Earl or the Lord, should he drag me out of there and order the chambermaids to dress me up because I feel to weak to do it myself because being sick is not  what I was supposed to be doing? If I decided to puke in the middle of the road, should he rather give me a plastic bag to use so i won’t be late on an appointment I have already committed to?”

 

His mother’s nostrils flared but said nothing so Aiden hurried on. “My decision is mine and mine alone. He shouldn’t be blamed for heeding the Prince’s whim and following a royal order. That’s what loyal servants of the crown do. That’s what his father does with my father, The King. It shouldn’t be any different.”He bowed his head before his mother could say anything. “Good morning, mother.” Then he turned and walked out of the room, Spencer following him after bowing low to the Queen.

 

He followed his schedule, as his mother had put it to be of utmost importance to be kept, that day. He tried not to cringe at the thought that he would spend 5 days in the North to spend time with the King. And the princess. He had never been in the North nor even met the King formally. During the peace treaty, his brother is always the one the king brought for a visit and his brother is always the one present everytime the King in the north visits the Palace. He only saw the King and the Princess once when he was thirteen and he had never remembered much. Now he was going on the King’s behalf to ensure the peace is continued. In what way, he doesn’t want to dwell too much about.

 

They were welcomed warmly by the King of North Korea with his daughter, Princess Ji-Hyun, shyly curtsying to him. He bowed his head low at the King and smiled at the Princess in return. Spencer and the number of security who had rode with him from the Palace had been given their own quarters while Aiden was invited to dinner.

 

For 4 days, he had alternately spent conversing with the King about politics in the mornings and in the afternoon, the Princess showed him around the Palace and some part of the North Korea, introducing him to its music, its culture. At night, they spend dinner at the vast dining hall while the King guffawed at his lame jokes and he thought the King is only forcing it for courtesy. Then silence will follow until the king will bring up a not-so-subtle insinuations of wanting to unite the two kingdoms by having one of the Princes, which is him because he was the only one left. To marry his daughter. He knew it but he didn’t take the bait, feigning ignorance and the King would just sigh in his cup, probably thinking he was the dumbest prince there is.

 

There is nothing wrong with the princess, not really. She was beautiful. She probably took on her mother’s looks because she looks nothing like the burly King. She was brought up like how a princess should be. She held herself up regally, her poise proper, her etiquette and behaviour impeccable.

 

She reminds him so much of himself. Locked in a world of decorum that even slouching would be considered a disgrace.

 

And he doesn’t want to even admit it to himself, but everytime she smiled at him, all he wanted to see is that soft fixating smile that is utterly fascinated by the rising sun.

 

The last night of his visit became tricky, though. The King must’ve thought this is his last chance to get the Prince’s promise on taking his daughter’s hand in marriage in place of his brother that he decided to take a direct approach.

 

“I want our two kingdoms to unite together by marriage, as was the last agreement that we had with your brother.”

 

Aiden took a drink of his water to stall his answer. Princess Ji-Hyun who was sitting acrosss from him suddenly turned scarlett red at the sudden statement her father uttered. She had no idea the King would bring it up so abruptly and so blatantly compared to the previous conversations they had.

 

“I believe that… it is not a good time to discuss… matters that have been previously arranged while... the King has taken ill,” he said carefully. He knew he had decided to take whatever is needed to ensure that no more war will occur. Knew that he should take the promise that his brother had left. He had already decided on that. But at this time, he felt like he wouldn’t be able to promise something he’s not sure of keeping himself. Why he suddenly felt that way, he had no idea. “I am grateful for your hospitality and Princess Ji-Hyun is unbelievably gracious. It would be an honor to continue the arrangement my brother had… unexpectedy withdraw from but… I feel like it is disrespectful for me to make a decision without my father’s presence and a discourtesy to Princess Ji-Hyun to ask for her hand while my father is not his… best of health at the moment to ratify that arrangement.”

 

The King put a hand on his chin and studied him thoughtfully. Aiden gave him a lopsided smile. “And we could always use…” he shrugged. “Music to… unite our kingdoms. They say Music can break any barriers and… the south’s music is a little different from the north. I think we can both use a little change.”

 

“I heard the music you South people had been listening to,” the King said. “They’re too loud with a lot of strange tunes.”

 

“I believe they use the latest technology to produce those sounds.”

 

“Are you saying our music is too outdated?”

 

“Yes,” he answered truthfully.

 

The king narrowed his eyes at him and the princess’ eyes turned wide as she looked at him to her father. There was a moment of silence as the King regarded the Prince but Aiden didn’t say anything to retract what he said. Their music was too outdated, honestly speaking. And if that topic could veer any conversation away from the talks of marriage, then he would gladly take that.

 

He was surprised when the King laughed loudly, slapping the table. “I guess you are right. Our music is outdated.” He was still laughing as he motioned for one of the servants to pour him a drink. “I guess we like it old fashioned. But you are right that we do need a little change.” He held up his cup towards Aiden. “Here’s to change.”

 

Aiden smiled and clinked the cup with the king’s before drinking, relieved that the King took it good naturedly.

 

They got ready to leave the next morning, thanking the King once again for his warm hospitality. The Princess walked him to the car that is waiting for him.

 

“It was a pleasure meeting you, Your Grace,” Princess Ji-Hyun said with a small smile.

 

“The pleasure is mine,” Aiden said smiling warmly. “And…” He turned his head to look back at the King who had already disappeared inside the palace. He looked back at the Princess. “I’m sorry… about my brother. You don’t deserve the humiliation….”

 

Princess Ji-Hyun reddened a little and bowed her head. “Thank you, Your Grace.”

 

Aiden waited for her to say something else but realizing that she wouldn’t say anymore, he courteously bid her goodbye and went inside the car. Spencer slid in a moment later and they rode in silence. It’s going to be a long ride and Aiden shifted in his seat, resting his head on the headrest and closing his eyes  so he could be more comfortable.

 

“Do you think it would be more prudent for me to ask for the Princess’ hand in marriage?” He found himself asking. He opened his eyes and looked at Spencer.

 

 Spencer, as usual, wore his poker face as he answered him. “If that’s what you think is what you should do, Your Grace.”

 

Aiden sighed and leaned his head back again. “I don’t know what I should do,” he said almost in a whisper. He turned his head towards the window and just watched the car pass by trees and houses. “I can’t be my brother.”

 

There was a moment of silence before he heard Spencer clearing his throat. “If… you’re asking me, Your Grace, I believe, it is the King’s duty to look after the welfare of the Kingdom and its people. Marrying the princess will ultimately stop the wars and will unite the North and the South.”

 

Aiden didn’t answer and just continued watching outside the windows. Spencer continued, “But it has been the goal that has been inculcated in Prince Andrew’s mind since he was young. You have only just been handed that responsibility not long ago and I understand your uncertainty. This is not the life that you were brought up to be ready for.”

 

Aiden didn’t supply any comments on that but asked, “Do you think I will be a good king?” He lifted his head and looked at his faithful assistant.

 

Spencer didn’t look deterred. “I think you would be terrible at it.”

 

Aiden found his first laugh that day.

 

“We have grown up together, Your Grace,” Spencer continued smiling. “Everything you were ordered to do when we were young, you performed so poorly. And one thing I have learned, is that those are the things that you do not because you want to but because you have to. But everything else, you excel at. I think you would be a good King once you have found it in you to be one. But not until then.” Spencer gave Aiden a big grin and Aiden shook his head while chuckling.

 

“That day at the orphanage has been the first genuine smile I have seen from you after such a long time, Your Grace,” Spencer contnued. “And I’m glad that it hasn’t disappeared completely.”

 

“I want to reconstruct the orphanage,” Aiden said after a moment of thinking. “Build another wing for children to sleep in. Another building that will serve as an education center for them. And not just in YG Town. I want to build centers for the homeless children to take shelter at in every cities. Have the Chancellor come to me once we are in the Palace.”

 

Spencer smiled. “Yes, Your Grace.”

 

“I have to talk to my father first, though,” Aiden said frowning wondering how his father’s health is now at. 

 

The day is already coming to a close when the familiar sights

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter