Of Confessions and Promises

Words Left Unspoken

 

Disclaimer: I am not the creator of Gokusen, that right belongs to one Morimoto Kozueko. Though I do own Shiraga Ryuuiji and any other character not recognized in this fandom.


After school had let out the group of five, minus Ryuuiji, found themselves crossing the bridge over the Sakura River. They could see a crowd of people leaning over the side of the railings, watching whatever was down there intently.

"Oi, Uchiyama." A friend of the teens called, waving the boy over. "Come here."

The group looked at one another, each of them wondering in the back of their minds what was so fascinating that everyone had to see it. Slowly, almost hesitantly they made their way towards where everyone was gathered, and they peered over the railing.

"Wow, she's crazy." Minami laughed, though in the back of his mind they wondered why his homeroom teacher was down there.

Both Kuma and Shin we're left speechless by the sight. There was Yamaguchi-sensei, searching through the filthy water of the Sakura River. Her powder blue sweatsuit was covered in not only dirt, but it was black from the murky water as well. She seemed to be in her own little world, searching for the bag that Kuma claimed to have thrown in there.

They watched as she picked objects up, and tossed them aside when deeming them unimportant. They watched as she moved forward to disentangle a piece of string from a fallen branch, only to have it snap off and for her to be sent falling backwards into the filthy water.

"Aren't you insane?" Uchi called out to her, after both he, Minami, and Noda had shared a laugh at the woman's expense.

"It's to early to play in water." Noda teased loudly, so that she could hear.

"If that's a teacher, I could be one too." Minami told the group, nudging his friend. This resulted in laughter from all the teens who had no idea as to why she was searching through the filthy water so religiously.

Shin in a breath, the released it after a moment. "Ikuzo." He muttered, loud enough for his companions to hear. He strode away from the scene, with Minami, Noda, and Uchi trailing leading the way. He turned to look back, noting that Kuma had yet to move from his position. "Kuma." He waited for the other teen to look at him, before nodding towards the others. "Ikuzo."

Kuma looked back at the scene for a moment, before nodding and moving to follow his friend.


"Wow. She's serious about finding that bag. Such passion!" Fujiyama-sensei stated. Both her and Kawashima-sensei had left the office as the sun was beginning to set. They made their way across the bridge, coming to a stop when they noticed their co-worker below, sifting through the water.

"What an interesting teacher!" Kawashima-sensei remarked with a brief smile.

Beside the two woman stood Asakura Tetsu, along with his friend Tatsukawa Minoru. The two watched the Ooedo successor with slightly wide eyes, both wondering why she was down there. "Ojou*..."

"I wonder what she's doing?" Minoru began curiously. "It seems like she's looking for something. Shall I go help?" He asked, and then without waiting for an answer flung a leg over the railing, almost as if to jump down there and run to her aid.

"Don't!" Tetsu ordered, placing a hand on his companions arm. "If we get involved. she'll be in trouble." He went on to say, trying to reason with the man. "That's the path she chose."

Even as the curious crowd began to disperse, Yamaguchi-sensei continued to look. She hoped she'd be able to find the bag Kuma had told her about before morning, so that she would lose neither him nor Ryuuiji.


When the sky had began to darken the teens exited the pool house, and made their way to the karaoke club. At least three of them excited. Once they got to their booth the party began, though Shin himself could tell that Kuma was having a hard time trying to forget what he had witnessed and enjoy himself.

The larger teen was distant at best. Constantly biting his lip guiltily, and unable to answer questions asked of him. Shin could tell that he was worried about the rookie teacher.

"Don't worry about that teacher." Shin told the other teen while his other companions were focused on the song they were currently singing. Jumping around on the cushioned seats to the beat of the song.

"Demo..."

"You don't have to believe her, that teacher." Shin went on to say, though he knew that that wasn't the only thing bothering the bigger youth. "And Ryuu...he'll get over it, I'm sure."

Kuma but his lips nodding insecurely, "Un." Then he turned away from Shin. He grabbed a microphone, immersing himself in the music, trying to leave his guilty conscience behind.


Early the next morning, minutes after the sun rose found Kumai Teruo sprinting through the town, making his way towards the Sakura River. He peered over the railing trying to catch a glimpse of the tracksuit clad woman.

When he saw no sign of her, he slammed his open palm on the metal railing and then made his way to the slope that led towards the water. He craned his neck to the right, nothing. Then he turned to the left, his eyes widened. There she was, still sifting through the water. 'I believe what Kumai and Shiraga said.' Her words from the previous day echoed through his mind. 'It's a teaches duty to believe students.'

He watched as she panted, swiping an arm across her forehead. Then the woman continued on with the search, as if she hadn't been there all night. "Yaaaah!" Kuma cried in a sudden fit of disbelief. He moved in her direction, charging through the murk liquid.

Yamaguchi-sensei looked up at the sound, surprised. She watched her student propel himself through the water and towards her. Stopping when he was close enough so that he could catch his breath. "Kumai." She murmured, still surprised by his arrival. "Don't just stand there and pant. You look for it too." Then she bent over, fingers landing on the rocks below looking for the brightly colored bag. "As things stand, both you and Shiraga will be seen as thieves. You'll get kicked out."

Kuma looked down at her, his face angry and guilty at the same time. "Are you dumb or what?" He asked, not moving an inch.

"Whatever. Just look for it." The woman instructed, moving to the other side of the river.

"There's no way you'll find it." He went on to say.

"Don't give up." She encourage, her voice just as determined as it had been yesterday when she'd declared her belief in the two teens.

There was a moment of silence before Kuma cried out, "I lied. It was a big fat lie!"

Yamaguchi-sensei paused in her actions, then she slowly straightened and turned to face the boy.

"I stole it."

"Kuma!" A voice suddenly roared. All eyes focused on Shin who stood at the bank of the river. The teen was currently glaring at his friend, but after a moment's paused he moved forward.

"Shin." Kuma murmured bewildered by the sudden appearance. He turned to address his friend.

"What are you saying?" Shin hissed, shoving at the larger teen's shoulder. "Do you know what'll happen if you tell such a thing to a teacher? You'll get get out! Along with Ryuu!"

"I know." Kuma sighed, hanging his head.

"No, you don't!" Shin then turned to address the teacher, his features harsh and unforgiving. "Oi! You believe us? You're our teacher? Huh?" He sneered, pacing towards the woman who stood silent. "Don't make me laugh! We don't believe what teachers say. Going through this charade," He continued moving even closer to her,"forcing Kuma to confess...You'll turn him in won't you? Along with Ryuu! You'll get rid of them to save the school's reputation, won't you?"

Yamaguchi-sensei stayed silent, though her gaze shifted towards the angry teen.

"Say something." He snapped, irritated with the look she gave him.

She ignored him completely, instead looking over his shoulder at Kuma. "You really did it, ne? And...what about Shiraga?"

"Kuma!" Shin tried to stop, knowing that his friend as willing to admit to the crime.

Kuma looked at his friends back, and then switched his gazed to his teacher. "Ryuu-kun...he had nothing to do with it. It was all me." Shin looked back at his friend, disbelief evident in his brown orbs. "The Head Teacher dropped it near the bathroom. That bastard has always picked on us, so I decided to get back at him."

"I see." Yamaguchi-sensei released a puff of air. Then she moved closer to the boy and said, "You've done enough. Let's return the money."

"I don't have it."

"You don't?" She blinked, startled by the information she'd just received. "Don't kid around. It's five hundred thousand yen. You spent it all?"

"It was taken from me." Kuma denied. "Those guys took the money to settle the fight."

"The money is gone." Shin piped up, from his position behind the two. "What are you gonna do? Sell Kuma out? And Ryuuiji as well?" He paused, letting the words sink in. "If you do that, I'll never forgive you."

"I will...get the money back."

The two gaped at their teacher. "You have no chance against them!" Kuma declared, shaking his head at the proclamation.

"I said I'll get it back!" Yamaguchi-sensei declared loudly. "But before that..." She paced forward, stepping closer to the heavyset teen."Kumai. Let me hit you once."

"Eh?" The boy gaped, only for the woman's fist to meet his jaw powerfully. He was sent flying backwards, landing flat on his back in the filthy water. Both him and Shin gaped at the woman. surprised by the fierce movement.

"Don't ever do something rotten like stealing!" She ordered. "You guys are a disgrace to delinquents." She paused, letting her words sink in. "Making fun of teachers is fine. Getting into fights is fine. But don't do anything cowardly! Be delinquents with pride and dignity." Then she turned, ready to make her way towards the the place where the thugs were. "You two. Get to school quickly." She walked away, her face set into a determined scowl. "Tou-san. Kaa-san. I've decided." She murmured to herself. "I'll take on these guys until the end. I'll be a teacher to those outcasts."

Below, with their feet still submerged in the liquid Shin decided it was time to speak. "Kuma. You go on ahead." Then he turned, and began sprinting after the woman.


In a warehouse not too far off from the Sakura River sat a group of men. They were laughing, smoking, gambling. Each having a good time, though all of that came to an abrupt halt when the sound of banging echoed throughout the area.

From their positions in the chairs the could see the door. A tremor ran through the metallic structure after every 'boom', and the occupants got to their feet, hesitant to move any closer.

Finally after what seemed like hours, the door feel off it's hinges. It clattered to the ground, revealing a petite woman with her hair loose carrying a sledgehammer. She made her way towards the men, tossing the item aside.

"Oh, just a girl. I was scared there for a second." One of the men dismissed as she stepped closer. The other guys laughed, patting each other on the backs.

The leader of the group stepped forward to address her., watching as she moved towards the desk where a yellow bag sat. "Who the hell are you?"

Instead of answering she picked up the bag, turning it this way and that as she examined it. She set it down after a moment, moving to the side so that she could look all the men in the eyes. "I'll take back the five hundred thousand yen that was in the bag." She ignored the laughter that her statement received. "You took it from a Shirokin student named Kumai, didn't you?"

" Oh, that brat we played with that night..." The leader hummed, causing the others to grin and giggle.

"Wasn't the money a bit much for just playing around?" The female retorted, her tone just a bit harsher than before.

"Don't you kid around!" The leader growled, advancing towards the woman. He made to grab at the collar of her sweatshirt, though he was stopped when the woman latched onto his outstretched arm and twisted it behind his back roughly.

The group gaped at her for a few seconds, before another charged at her recklessly. This one was grabbed by his jacket and tossed over the aluminium desk that sat just behind her. The other men moved forward, ready to defend themselves, though they came to a halt when faced with her deadly glare.

"Who the hell are you?"

"Me?" She asked, her eyes steadily becoming darker and more sinister. She advanced, causing all the men to step back, terrified. "I'm the homeroom teacher of the student you played with."

Thirty minutes later found Sawada Shin charging into the very same warehouse, pondering why that woman would go alone. He stopped at the entrance. surprised to find the door knocked off it's hinges. His brown orbs swept across the area, trying to find any source of life. They came to a stop on a pile next to an aluminium desk. There sat at least a dozen men, one stacked atop the other.


"As you all know, there's been a theft at the school." Head Teacher began, his voice echoing throughout the gymnasium. "We already know who did it. We can hand them over to the police. However, out of the spirit of leniency, if the thieves reconsider and return the money, I'm willing to simply dismiss them from school and leave it at that. 3-D Kumai Teruo, Shiraga Ryuuiji." All eyes turned to the two, each with a different emotion shining in their orbs. "Come forward."

Ryuuiji gritted his teeth, then shoved past Kuma angrily, making his way towards the stage. Kuma followed behind, his head hung low. Both Head Teacher and Washio-sensei met them at the foot of the steps leading towards the stage. "Now, apologize for your crime that offended everyone and ruined the reputation of the school." Head Teacher ordered, folding his hands behind his back.

"Do the right thing, since you're leaving the school." Washio-sensei said, offering some advice of his own. Then he placed a hand on Kuma's shoulder, turning him so that he faced the crowd. He did the same thing to Ryuuiji, who glared at the offending appendage on his shoulder. He then placed a hand on Kuma's shoulder, and tried to push down. "Kneel down!" He barked, noting the two teens refusal. He then proceeded to kicked the back of Ryuuiji's knee, repeating the same process with Kuma.

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?" Uchi growled as he, Noda, and Minami pushed forward ready to defend their friends. All of 3-D pressed forward, each of them running at either Washio-sensei or Head Teacher. Shin, who had stood at the door, raced forward. He shoved through the crowd at came to a stop at the edge of the stage which Head Teacher had fled to.

"I'll kick all of you out!" Head Teacher snapped, pointing at the rowdy group congregated at his feet.

"Don't lay a hand on my students!" Yamaguchi-sensei's voice echoed over the chaos, causing everything to come to a halt. All eyes turned to her form, surprised by the outburst. She glided forward, the crowd dispersing around her and made her way toward the stage where Head Teacher was waiting.

"Why is she dressed like that?" Fujiyama-sensei asked softly, eyebrows furrowed.

"Head Teacher." She addressed, her voice cordial. "I found this..." Here she held up a yellow bag, similar to the one Head Teacher had described the day before.

"What's that?" The man asked, shifting nervously.

"It's the money bag you were in charge of, isn't it?" Yamaguchi-sensei observed.

All the teachers came forward, each of them wanting to see the bag with their owneeeyes. Head Teacher himself stepped off the stage, and then he made a grab for the bag. "Where was it?" He questioned, opening it.

"The trash can near the boys bathroom."

The man was silent for a moment, his eyes rolled skywards as he went through the events that had transpired during the week. "That day..."

"That day?" Yamaguchi-sensei repeated loudly, eyes innocently wide.

"Ano...well...no...uh..." Head Teacher stammered, not knowing what to say.

"So that means it was you mistake after all." Kawashima-sensei piped up, folding her arms beneath her s with a smirk. "Correct?"

"Well, that's so, isn't it?"

"What's he saying?"

"Kumai-kun." Washio-sensei called, moving towards the teen. "Shiraga-kun."

"Well, it's nothing to worry about. Everyone makes mistakes." Yamaguchi-sensei placated with a wide grin. She then moved , patting her students shoulders. "Okay. Come on. Go back. Come on now. Back to your classes."

"But the money..." Kuma murmured softly as he approached the woman.

"Urusai." Yamaguchi-sensei ordered gently, avoiding his eyes. "Are you trying to embarrass me?" She then turned towards the stage, and moved towards the microphone.

"Yamaguchi-sensei! Chotto matte!" The Head Teacher called up to her, wondering what she was doing.

She ignored him, instead bringing the microphone to her lips. "All right, you guys. Now listen carefully. Indeed, the 3-D students are a hopeless case. Demo, I happened to become the homeroom teacher of that class." She paused, her orbs flitting across the faces of each of her students. "This must be fate."

"Well said!" Kawashima-sensei praised from her place in the crowd.

Yamaguchi-sensei and Shin made eye contact for a brief moment before he turned away, leading his comrades back to their classroom. "No matter what happens I'll make sure everyone of you graduates." The woman promised. causing each of them to stop at the door. The turned to her, each of them with a different emotion on their face.

Disbelief, anger, apathy, guilt, relief.

Though there was one that was evident on all of their faces;

Hope.


Author's Note: Bah~. That took longer than expected. If the next one takes any longer, blame it on school, having to babysit a new puppy, and me being a procrastinator.

*Ojou- Literally means 'my lady'.

Review please~. I'd like some feedback.