Double Date

The One Who Fascinates Me

     I stare at out the window, watching the raindrops fall. Watching as the rain trickles down the window, creating streaks and then watching the streaks disappear producing bubbles just to run down on the outside panel of the window again. I lean back in my chair sighing. "It's so gloomy..." My eyes are attracted to the light on the ceiling, but I blink as the light blinds me. I look down on my desk to see a notebook and an open textbook. I must have zoned out again. I really need to focus and get these notes done.

"BEEP!" The bell rings signaling the end of class and more importantly, the end of the school day.

     "Jihye!" My friend Hyerin calls. Hyerin is a short haired girl with whispy bangs and a cute face. Her large eyes definitely pop out and add to her already beautiful features. She sits in the desk in front of me and I quickly pack up my items. Her bright smile tells me something is unexpected is going to come out of and my guess is correct. "So...Today...I have a double date planned for us!"

     "Really?" I groan. "Is he cute...?" I have been telling myself to find a boyfriend for while now, but so far no one has struck my fancy. I often read stories of people in love, and I wonder if it would be nice. I wouldn't necesarily say that I have high standards, but no one interests me. Maybe I do have high standards. Maybe I don't need love. Not yet. Or maybe love just isn't for me. Maybe I'm not meant for love.

   "Of course! Sort of...? Jisoo said he had someone set up for you, someone you might like. He's tall, he's smart, and I think you know him. What's his name...Jin...? Seokjin...? Well, he's a senior so he's a bit older, but we might have found your match." Her face lights up whenever she talks about me and other guys. She's been trying so hard to find someone for me and all I do is reject and complain. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten sick of me already. "So are you going to come?"

     "Sure...I guess. When it it?"

     "After school. So...Like now...?" She chuckles nervously.

     I furrow my brows and sigh due to her lack of planning, but I can't help but say yes. "Sure, just let me tell my parents I'll be home late."
I retrieve my phone from my bag and call my mom. "Hey mom, is it okay if I'm home a bit late? I'm going to be with Hyerin for a while."

     "Sure. Be home by dinner! If you're going to be late, make sure you tell me okay?"

     "Yeah, of course. See ya!" I ended the call and told Hyerin that I'd be able to make it. "I can be there for a while. So where are we going?"

     "A nearby cafe. Nothing too fancy." She called for her boyfriend Jisoo and told her to get Seokjin for the date. "She said she's coming." She jumps happily, squealing. "Yay!" Hyerin ends the call with her boyfriend and drags my hand out of the classroom and out of the school. 

     As I exit the school doors I smell the asphalt as the light rain hits the concrete ground.

     "Pit-pat.Pit-pat." The rain pitter patters against the ground endlessly. I take a deep breath, inhaling the humid air again. I hear the doors of the school open behind me with two men walking out of them. One of them holding a guitar, Jisoo, the other one slightly taller gently smiling at me with his thick lips. I notice his familiar face and gently smile back, greeting him and he walks up to me. "Hello, sunbaenim." I bow slightly.

      "Hello..." His voice slowly fades while looking down. "I'm Seokjin, how are you?" He asks, but before I can answer he talks again. "I didn't think Jihye was you...But regardless how are you?" The gentle smile I once saw returns to his face. He's quite attractive and has nice features, but I wonder why such a looker like him is even on a blind date like this. I mean he's just...So attractive. I wonder if he remembers me. So far he seems to remember me, but I wonder if he's disappointed on who's he's going to be spending the next couple of hours with since we've barely even made contact with each other in any way. 

     I've never been the conversationalist, so I decide to find something maybe we could both talk about. We have math together, but we never talked. Oh just say something Jihye! "I'm doing well. Math is still quite a struggle for me, but overall I'm doing well." I look up at him smiling soon breaking into a chuckle. His eyes squint while he responds with light laughter as well. His large hands enter his pocket and he leans on one foot slouching mildly. I stand stick straight out of nervousness holding both my hands in front of me, wondering if Seokjin dislikes me. "And I'm sure you know my name since you just said it, but I'm Jihye." I say with the corners of my mouth pointing upwards slightly. The slight smile transitions into my lips pressing into each other tightly and then into a neutral expression. I let out a soft breath. Was that too sassy? Maybe, I don't know. I felt the need for a more proper introduction. And this is why you, Jihye, cannot get a boyfriend.

     "I don't think this lesson was too bad, so if you need it I can help if you want." Jin puts on a gentle smile once again as my heart flutters slightly to his offer. He tilts his head, but then looks up. He sticks his head out from under the roof above us and observes the falling water. He steps back in. "So, should we get going?" Jin looks at all of us for approval and we all nod.

    Jin pulls out his umbrella and holds it over both of our heads, while Hyerim on the other hand holds hers over her and Jisoo's head. We all walk over to Jin's car and he hands me the umbrella so he can find his car keys. The car opens with two loud beeps as he takes back the umbrella and opens the car door for me, motioning me to get inside. Jisoo does the same for Hyerin. Hyerin and I sat in the back while Jin drove. Jisoo was in the passenger seat going through all the radio stations, trying to find something to play. I'm not sure what station he picked, but it was a soothing jazz song that rang throughout the car. Jin looked back at Hyerim and I. "Alice Table right?"

     "Yup." Hyerin nodds.

     Jin drove out of the parking space and we proceeded to Alice Table. Alice Table is a local cafe that Hyerin and I like to go to. "So did you guys know that Alice Table is owned by the family of one of the students here?" Jin asks. "He's a sophmore here just like you guys."

     My face lights up in surprise. "Really? Who?"

     "Park Jimin."

     Park Jimin...The one on the track team? He's the only one I know about.  "Oh, I'm surprised this isn't more known. Does he keep this a secret?"

     "He tries to. Sorry. Just a slip of the tongue, don't tell him I told you." The male chuckles.

     "I won't."

     We arrive at a street of many shops, with a couple of cafes. We park in front of the one with the clock in the front of the building with large letters reading 'Alice Table.'

     "Let's go insde shall we?" says Jisoo. He opens the door allowing the other three of us to get inside.

------------------

WHOO. First chapter done. For my one subscriber, itsclaires, thanks for subscribing! As for anyone else reading this story, comments are greatly appreciated, and I will do my best to update this story often. I most likely won't be able to do more than one chapter a week, but if you decide to stick around, thanks!