Chapter Two

A Face To Call Home

A minivan drove us to the house we would be sharing and we were informed that it would be our only transportation unless we decided to go by cab or subway, but that would be at our own cost. I found out that I would have to share my room with another girl named Lena that was a member of our Korean crew, our recordings would start at 7am every day from Monday to Friday and we’d be together until 6pm. That was our basic group schedule for the next months, minus the lunch breaks.

Will would be on charge of making sure the project was going according to the plans just like he said to me back in Dr. Robinson’s office. Assembling a leader he informed us that we wouldn’t be recording that day due the fact that it was already 5pm which wasn’t going to give us much film footage to work with, he also told us to get ready to go out by 8pm because we were having dinner at the restaurant to get to know each other before starting to work together in hopes to start creating a bond between us all.

After all of the memos were given I headed to my room, it was big enough for the two people and Lena and I ended up having to share the bathroom as well since it was a suite, she had already settled her things down because her team got here before mine “I was hoping there was another girl in our staff, these boys sometimes can be a handful” she rolled her eyes and stuck her hand out “I’m Lena by the way, I don’t have a nickname so you can call me that” she smiled while turning to look at my bags “Oh you’ve brought so many things! Do you need help? I literally have nothing to do” she passed by me and opened one of my backpacks pointing out that she loved my clothes even though according to her they’d never fit her which was a shame, I mentally thanked Rob and proceeded to tell her about him and the fact that he’s the reason why I’ve brought so much clothing.

“Ah I have a brother too, but he’s really young” she said and started telling me about her family and I felt lucky to be paired with someone who gave me such a warm welcome, we introduced ourselves even though we already knew each other’s names. 

We looked completely different, she was petite and had really long brunette hair styled with a few blonde highlights meanwhile I was tall and my hair was quite short, not only our features were different but also the way we dressed, her outfit was pretty hip and I bet Rob would have loved her top while I felt comfortable enough in my black skinny jeans and white t-shirt, that’s why I was so reluctant in spending so much money on new clothes for this trip knowing pieces such as that fur coat would only come in handy if I was way out of my mind.

When my things were all organized we both laid down on our beds and she turned to look at me “Do you have a boyfriend? Girlfriend?” Lena asked and I felt my facing heating up “Not really, my boyfriend and I broke up about a year ago and since then I’ve only had flings there and here you know?” I answered her.

“Ah! We should go out and party one of those nights then!” she quickly got up and sat next to where I was “I broke up with my fiancé last month and I still didn’t celebrate it!”

I laughed at her, going out to celebrate a failed relationship, she truly was something else “I’m sorry? I mean you don’t seem to be sad so are my condolences still valid?”

“Girl, life is too short to be mopping around because of boys” she said to me “Besodes, I can always find another boyfriend, I might not be on my early twenties anymore but I still got a lot going on right?” she knocked her elbow on my waist causing me to giggle.

“I can’t disagree with that” I said “If you don’t mind me asking… How old are you?”

“I saw that coming! But I don't mind, I’m 28” she smiled at me “And you?”

“Really? You look much younger! I’m 22” I replied which caused her to choke.

“Omo! You’re such a baby!” she pinched my cheeks “Thanks but I guess all of us Koreans look younger than our actual selves it’s both a blessing and a curse, but seriously when did you even graduate?”

“Last week” I laughed “I still can’t believe I’m actually here”

“WHAT? When I graduated it took me so long to even find an internship! Look at you already having a job! And abroad!” she exclaimed “How did you even manage?”

So I told her about my graduation project and how it led to my talk with Will and Dr. Robinson and how I couldn’t even imagine having this opportunity before even starting to create my name in the business and how grateful I was for this chance to learn so much from people who are much more professional than I am and she listened to me very intently which only kept me going.

“… And that’s it” I finished explaining to her.

“Wait a minute” Lena breathed out “So you’re telling me, you’re responsible for this whole thing? Like, you wrote it all? Before even graduating?”

“It’s not like that, my project is only being used as a draft! I am no way that good, Will is the one conducting this whole thing along with our sponsors” I blushed “I just wrote some stuff on a paper and it turns out Will and other people liked it enough to try to turn it in to a real thing”

“Shut up! I’m sorry! You are such a badass I can’t believe you!” she clasped her hands together “And you’re still humble about it! ‘I just wrote some stuff’” she mimicked me “You are literally the reason why I’m getting paid for the next months! I love you already”

“It’s not me who's paying you it's POSCO and Sam-”

But I was cut off by Lena’s snort “Enough with this, I wish I was that amazing when I was your age” she said to me “Would you look at that, anyway I need to sleep a bit before going out and I’m telling this to everyone! They think some big shot is behind this all and it turns out is you! Some of the guys were even saying on the way here 'I hope our boss won't be too bad' I'm screaming inside, this is the greatest thing I’ve heard all day” she rolled on her side and adjusted the pillow near her.

“Please don’t tell anyone!” I turned to look at her but she was already asleep, or pretending to be “Ah drop it, I'll just talk to you later”

After checking if all of my belongings were well organized I decided to go out and explore the neighborhood to start getting used to it, you never know when you’ll need to go to a drugstore or to the supermarket as we all live together I think we’ll split the responsibilities around the house right? I grabbed my backpack and filled it with my camera, wallet and a map I bought in one of the airport’s shops, just in case my phone’s GPS failed me – not that I don’t trust Siri, but you never know – and left the room.

“Where are you off to?” Will asked me as I bumped on him

“I’ll just look around for a while, I feel like I’ve got too many energy to spend” I answered truthfully, that was also one of the reasons why I didn’t want to stay inside, I felt like there was too much to be seen and to be discovered, I couldn’t bare sitting there with a whole new world just a few steps away.

“I’m the opposite” he laughed “But just make sure to meet us on the restaurant for dinner okay? I’m not that good with socialization so it’d be nice to have a familiar face around” Will smiled and gave me the directions to get there.

Saying goodbye I left the house, none of my colleagues were around, I guess I was the only one who wasn’t tired, that or I was but my body didn’t took notice of it at the time.

I didn’t plan on going back to the hotel so I was already on my dinner clothes as it wasn’t going to be fancy according to Will, turns out Korean summer doesn’t feel half as hot than I thought it would, so going out on the sun wearing all black wasn’t a problem for me like it used to be in LA. Beckett would’ve loved here I thought to myself as I walked down the street.

During my wandering I pondered if I could turn this trip not only a professional project but also a personal one by documenting it just like I used to do back in college – a making of of the making of of my life – by doing so I would be able to keep my memories untouched and unedited and at the same time train my photographing skills, I concluded that there were no cons on my idea so and started right away.

I took a few pictures of the trees around and of a few passengers too, until an old lady gave me a look so I stopped for a while until she was gone, I need to learn a lesson or two about other people’s personal space I guess.

A hour passed and I finally found a café that wasn’t too crowded, I still had one more hour to kill before meeting up with the crew so I got in, the atmosphere of the place felt really nice, it had mini water fountains and the room was fully decorated with pastel colors which gave to it a cute cartoon vibe. Sitting down I grabbed a menu and skimmed through it.

While waiting for my order to arrive I heard a loud chatter coming from the cashier stand, looking up I saw a few girls – I guessed they were in between the ages of sixteen and eighteen – that weren’t looking very pleased with whatever the boy behind the counter was telling them, causing my curiousness to spark. The journalist in me wanted to go there and ask the questions that were forming inside my brain but I couldn't so it due the cultural bareer between us.

My coffee was served and I kept observing the scene blooming in front of me, the girls left the stand to sit in one of the tables nearby, they were going through their phones and talking to each other, I wasn't able to find out what they were going on about because I couldn’t understand any Korean words besides “oppa” coming out of their mouths but some of them looked very stern and I wondered if someone was missing maybe one of their friends? Or one of the girl’s boyfriend since the younger one seemed to be holding back tears, I wanted to go there and talk to them so badly but there was no way I could do it so I kept watching from afar until another group of girls arrived.

Their actions were the same, they went to the cashier and then to another table. At that point I gave up on trying to read their expressions and understand the situation, so I got up and walked towards the bathroom to check on my appearance before leaving to go find a cab and head to the restaurant, even though I had time left, I wanted to cause a good impression since on the flight Will told me that our native colleagues probably give a lot of thought to social manners and I’m not so sure if they’d find it great if I showed up late for our first night out.

I opened the bathroom door and I couldn’t see a thing “Have this people ever thought about LED lights?” I thought out loud while locking the door and trying to find the switch so I could turn it up for the room would become visible, when I was caught off guard by a pair of hands, one of them covering my mouth and the other trying to drag me away I tried to scream but the sound wouldn’t pass through the hand that was blocking it and no matter how much I tossed and turned I couldn’t escape from the arm that was wrapped around me. I’m going to die I thought, there was no way in hell I could leave that cubic room but I don’t want to die I replied to my own self so I kept on fighting whoever was holding me.

I kept kicking but my feet only reach the air each time until one of them knocked on the wall turning the lights on during the process, meanwhile the person let go of me to block the door and I finally got the chance to look at it – now a him – it was a guy, I didn’t know how tall but he was bigger than me and he was wearing a mask just like the one I was handed on the airport but instead of white like mine his was black, so his face was hidden, I couldn’t tell how old he was but he didn’t seem to be much older than me and his figure was slim which caused me to wonder if he really was strong enough to contain me like he did just seconds ago or if was just too weak to fight anyone.

I froze in place and he slipped down the door and sat on the floor sighing and taking his mask off, he looked at me for the first time and smiled “Annyeong!” he said and waved at me.

What the ?

I started to scream now that I was - partially - free. I couldn’t scream much anyway he was faster than me so he caught me and placed his hand on my mouth again “Shhhhhh” he said following by a bunch of sentences that made no sense to me, he must have felt secure when I stopped kicking and tried to listen to what he was saying so he let go of my mouth and looked at me again as he was waiting for me to say something “Geulaeseo…?”

“To be honest I didn’t understand whatever you said and I also didn’t understand your actions but if you let me go in peace I won’t go the police station, wherever it is located, and press charges against you” I said looking him in the eye “Would you just move so I can pass?”

The boy started laughing even though I didn’t see an ounce of fun on what was happening, he covered his mouth just like he did with mine for the sound not to echo but he wasn’t being successful at it so he covered his whole face while sitting down against the door again while I just stood there motionless waiting for whatever he was going to do.

“You don’t know who I am?” his voice broke as he kept laughing “Omo! I’m so sorry, you don't speak my language right? Let me explain again” he said in between laughs and I started to wonder if I was part of a variety show, but I couldn't find any cameras around so I guessed he was just out of his mind.

“I literally have no interest! Can’t you just let me go?” I asked

“No can do, there are girls outside this door right? In the café?” he asked and I nodded “None of us can leave, you see they are here looking for me but I can’t deal with them right now so I had to hide somewhere and you entered here I actually thought you were one of my stalkers”

This guy actually thinks he has stalkers, what a lunatic “So your first reaction was to attack me? Really? And let’s suppose any of those girls were looking for you why the hell are you hiding in the girl’s bathroom? It’s like you are trying to be caught!”

“Is this the girl’s room? Are you serious?” he exclaimed “I’m so so so sorry I didn’t know that now I understand why you’re so mad! Agh I’m sorry I thought you got in the boy’s bathroom to find me and do whatever, omo I’m so sorry” he covered his face with his palms while still saying sorry.

I can’t believe this is my life I thought looking at the boy in front of me, that now I'm convinced isn't only crazy but also dumb.

“Okay, now that we settled that I’m not trying to kidnap you or something, can I just leave?” I said as I grabbed his shoulder trying to move him away from the door but no matter how much I'd try to drag or push him it was useless “C’mon I have a meeting to attend in a few minutes, please just slide a little”

“I’m sorry but I can’t let you go until those girls leave, which will probably take quite some time, you know, they all love me very much” he looked up at me and gestured to the floor “Why don’t you sit?”

So I sat down staring at the boy trying to read him, I couldn’t tell if he was being honest but this whole they all love me very much and stalker thing seemed very suspicious and who in their right mind gets confused by bathroom signs? No one I answered my own question. Also who grabs another person like that? And don't let them go?

“Social manners my ” I mumbled whilist playing with my hands that were red from all the pushing and grabbing.

“What?” he asked.

“Nothing”

“No, seriously what did you just say?” 

“It’s none of your business” I replied trying to make him catch the hint to leave me alone.

“C’mon don’t be like that! I already said I’m sorry! What are you thinking?” he kept bugging me which caused every nerve on my body to wake up and I could predict things weren’t going to end up nicely.

“I was thinking about how I’ve heard that Seoul’s citizens and the whole country actually care about manners, but you didn’t think twice before grabbing me and shutting me up when I got here and all I wanted to do was check my make up not to rip one of your fingers and sell it on e-bay” I bitterly said and he laughed.

“I’m sorry about that too!” he clasped his hands “I’m sorry about everything that happened ever since you got inside here with me! But I was too afraid to be caught by one of those girls” he looked at me eyes bright from the tears he was holding from laughing.

“You know I still haven’t bought this whole stalker story right? I’m still waiting for you to take me away to some alley and honestly don't know why you haven't done that yet, at least I would have a chance on running away” I replied sounding much more confident than I actually was because if he was really a criminal I would be so screwed I couldn’t even bring myself to think about what would happen, I didn't even know what song I wanted to be played on my wedding and there I was thinking about what songs my parents would choose to be played at my funeral.

“It’s the truth!” he replied scrunching his face “I tried to explain to you! Listen here, my name is Park Chanyeol and I’m part of a group named EXO, like a singing and dancing group you know? 'Call me baby call me baby'  haven’t you heard of us?” he asked and I shook my head no, he seemed hurt by it but kept going “Like the ones you see on TV and go to their concerts! That’s what we do basically, we even had a TV show called EXO Next Door, does it ring a bell to you?" I shrugged causing his face to fall  "Anyway, our fan base happened to grow a lot and now some of our fans manage to track us down, I have no idea how! They just do! Which scares me a lot! We live in a dorm nearby and my friends who also happen to be my members asked me to grab coffee for them so I came here but those girls found me and now I’m trapped!” his body gave up as he lied on the cold bathroom floor and I looked at him finally starting to believe in his words “Look, I’m sorry I attacked you and I’m sorry you have to stay here with me but I was scared of them and I’m really tired so can you just wait until they go away please? I can drive you to wherever you have to be when this ends, just stay?” he turned his face to the spot where I was sitting and I nodded, my madness slowly fading letting pity take its place. 

“Thank you so much” he sighed through his hands that covered his face “I just realized that I don’t even know your name”

“It’s Cora” I said through the chatter that kept going outside, is it possible for more girls to have arrived?

“Suits you” he simply said, his hands still over his face.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I don’t know” he replied “It just fits you, you look like a Cora” he said while sitting back to where he was “Not that I know any other Coras, but you just look like what you’d expect from a Cora named person, does it make sense?”

“No” I said and he laughed “Anyway, just show me something from this band of yours, you got me curious”

“It did make sense!” he said “And it’s a group, not a band, but fine come here” he opened a space next to him for me to sit while grabbing his phone.

“You better be good” I commented looking at him “So my time won't be wasted”

“There’s so much to get done in a bathroom right?” Chanyeol turned to look at me and smirked “And believe me Cora, we’re not just good. We’re excellent”