Chapter Four:

Ain't No Place for You Here (I try to leave you in the past but then you wrap your legs around me and ask me to stay)

Chapter Four

Scary Bosses and  Gross Closets

 

    Namjoon wakes up to someone crashing through his bedroom.

Keeping his eyes shut, he tries to figure out where exactly the perpetrator is and how much time he has before he gets stabbed for the second time this week. The edge of the mattress dips with the weight of another person. Namjoon tenses. Bed bowing as the person shifts, Namjoon snaps his eyes open and grasps the outstretched hand before tossing it away from him as if the skin to skin contact was acidic.

The person who reached out to him gasps and Namjoon vaguely recognizes the sound.

“Dr., uh, Kim?” Namjoon stumbles a bit, sure what to call him; he remember Jin saying Namjoon could call him by his first name, but he doesn't know how genuine that offer was.

Now that he is fully conscious, he feels his wound twinge and ache uncomfortably. He wants to sit up so he is eye level with whoever is in the room, but knows it would only irritate his affliction further.      

The lights flick on to reveal Hoseok, with a hand still resting on the switch, and Jin (Dr. Kim?) seat next to him.

“Jin,” he corrects, plump lips stretched into a small smile. “How are you feeling?” Jin motions to him, asking for permission to investigate.

He places the back of his hand on Namjoons forehead, then feels the side of his neck, a grim look painting his face.

Namjoon peels back his comforter for Jin with a hiss as the chilly air assaults his skin. He feels goosebumps rise on his skin involuntarily, pink dusting his cheeks, as he waits patiently for Jin to tug on the gloves he got from the ziplock bag in his lab coat pocket.

Hoseok snorts. Namjoon shoots him a deadly glare.

“Any throbbing pain or tenderness?” Jin ignores them both, uncovering the wound gingerly, careful not to pull on the sensitive skin.

“A little.” It’s a bald face lie; it's hurts like hell, but Namjoon doesn't want to appear weak- not in front of Hoseok, at least. It’s bad enough he was stabbed, he doesn't think his reputation could take another blow.

Jin frowns, eyebrows scrunching together cutely, clearly displeased and hums. “On a scale from 1-10, one being no pain and ten being unbearable, how much does it hurt?”

“Five?” Namjoon sees Hoseok raise his eyebrows, smile teasing his lips, so he reconsiders. It’s not so bad, really - he hasn't cried or anything.  “Maybe two?”

“I see.” Jin bites his bottom lip to keep from grinning (Namjoon knows he’s been caught.), then slips back into being a professional. He twists his upper body so he can look at Hoseok.

Namjoon appreciates Jin wide shoulders before another wave of discomfort washes over him.

“Hobi, get out.” Short, sweet, and to the point. Namjoon likes him more and more.

“But why?” Hoseok whines. “I wanna see you work. I never get to see it since I’m alway the patient. This is my only opportunity.

“We literally just had a discussion about following the doctor's orders. Do I need to reiterate?” Jin swings an arm out to point behind Hoseok, face stoney.

“Fine,” Hoseok huffs out. He closes the door with a soft click.

Namjoon’s surprised; usually it would take more than that to get Hoseok to obey someone. He wonders briefly if there is a deeper history than he originally thought between the two.

“Okay, Namjoon, it’s just us. I need you to be completely honest with me. I'm here to help you, not judge you.” Jin says staring him straight in the eye.

Namjoon holds his ground for a second, letting himself get mesmerized by the soft sincerity Jin exudes.

“Five.” Namjoon flicks his gaze over his bedroom, avoiding Jin.

“That’s better.” Jin praises, blowing lightly on the wound.

Namjoon squirms, looking down to see what the other is doing. A piece of cotton, probably left from the gauze, is left drowning in the gross watery discharge oozing from the aperture. It flickers, but stubbornly stays in place. Jin sighs before slowly, carefully, picking it out with his gloved fingers.

Jin mutters something about ‘that idiot didn't even try to keep this clean’ under his breath.

Now that Namjoon isn't focusing on just the center of his wound, he notices a single raised band of white giving way to the angry redness surrounding the puncture like a demented halo. He’s no doctor, but even he thinks that looks bad.   

“Alright, Namjoon, because of Hoseok abducting you from my care, and neglecting your wound, it will take a while before I can get a handle on the infection. You should be fine in a few days - if you follow my directions to a T.” Jin points a slender finger at him and squints menacingly.

“I’ll do everything you want me to do.” his voice comes out low and Namjoon winces once the words leave his mouth, brain spitting out all the other implications his words could have. At this point his cheeks are aflame.

Jin laughs loudly; it almost sounds like hiccups with the way he in each breath then lets it out in a quick staccato rhythm.  

It’s adorably infectious, and Namjoon can't help but chuckle along.

“Good. That’s what I like to hear.” Jin says once he catches his breath. Then he winks at Namjoon. Winks.

Before Namjoon can even hope to process what Jin said, Hoseok burst into the room.

“Jin, you need to hide. Immediately.” he pants, bent over with his hands on his knees.  

   

 


 

 

    Jin hates being ordered around (There is a reason he has his own practice down the street from his apartment, after all.). He is a grown man trained in the art of medicine and has practically raised a child (Jungkook is technically an adult now, but in Jin’s mind he will forever be his baby.) He can't stand it especially if the person is a good few years younger than him. Like Hoseok. So when the younger barges in when Jin is dealing with a patient, naturally, he resists.

“What? No. I’m busy-” He is cut off by Hoseok -the amount of disrespect- yanking him off the bed and towards the closet. He stumbles over the random objects covering Namjoon’s floor. “What the hell, Hobi?”

“Shut up. Just do as I say. Jay is already in the building and walking up to the door right now, and he would love to get his hands on you.”

Jin opens and closes his mouth like a fish, wanting to smack Hoseok for his tone but fear at his words begins to seep in.

“What?” Namjoon chimes in incredulously. “He isn't supposed to be here until later!”

Ice rushes through Jin’s veins, freezing his limbs in place. Hoseok pushes him the rest of the way to the closet, roughly shoving Jin in, letting out a exasperated sigh when the door doesn't close due to the clothes and empty hangers haphazardly piled on the floor. He crouches down and starts chucking things behind him heedlessly.

Jin winces at each sound the impact of each object makes. If Hoseok hits Namjoon I swear...            

“God damn Namjoon. Why do you have to be such a pig?” Hoseok mutters.

Jin folds himself practically in half so he can cram his long limbs in such a tiny space. He shoves hanging shirts out of his way, the hangers scraping across the metal bar that runs across the closet.

It’s a miracle my shoulders even fit.

Over Hoseoks shoulder, Jin watches as Namjoon recovers his wound - with the dirty bandage he just took off; Jin wants to beat him too just watching- and slides the blanket over his torso. He see’s the way Namjoon winces with every movement.  

Voices sound throughout the flat. Everyone stops.

“, , ,” Hoseok leans in and whispers to him with his eyes wide. “Don't make a sound. He shouldn't be here for too long.”

Jin nods his head and bites his lip.

Hoseok clicks the door shut, engulfing Jin in darkness. All is silent, other than the light, airy sound of his breath going in and out, for a moment.

“Monster! Hope! Good to see you boys are alive and well.” An unfamiliar voice speaks, every word dusted with sugar. For some reason, it rubs Jin the wrong way.

Monster? Hope? What kind of thug names are those?

“Jaebum!” Hoseok says, cheerful as always. Rustling ensues and Jin can only guess that Hoseok has thrown himself at the other.

With how friendly Hoseok sounds, maybe Jay didn't come after all, and this Jaebum person came in his absence.    

“Hey,” Namjoon grunts out, normally deep voice thickened with pain.

“Woah, you sound like .” A pause from whom Jin assumes to be Jay (Jaebum?). “This should only take a minute. I just need to know the specifics of that night. You know: who, what when, where. Those type of things.”

Jin doesn't like the change his voice takes.  

Namjoon switches to english, speaking rapidly with Jay. Jin can't keep up with his meager understanding of the language. Maybe, that's a good thing, he thinks. He had forgotten that Namjoon was involved with dangerous people, so caught up on treated him as a regular patient, despite the abnormal circumstances. Jin isn't sure he could stand to hear the gritty details of Namjoon’s work.       

“I can tell you everything on better detail, Jay. Namjoon needs his rest, so why don't we get settled in my room.” Hoseok sounds close, like he's right in front of the closet. “I can bring you something to drink-” Hoseok gets cut off.

Kakao!

Silence.

Jin fumbles for his phone wildly, eyes wide and hands shaking. It’s not in any of his many pockets; Jin wants to cry.  

“Is someone else here?” Jay asks in korean icily. Footsteps head in his direction.

Kakao!


Author's Note:

 Its been a while, hasnt it? I've been busy with the other stories i'm writting, but i havent given up on this. Hopefully, i'll see you guys again soon. If the wait gets really bad, just bother me on tumblr