Chapter Three: What the Doctor Orders

Ain't No Place for You Here (I try to leave you in the past but then you wrap your legs around me and ask me to stay)

Chapter Three

What the Doctor Orders

 

Jin hates it when people ignore what he says. As a Doctor he knows best, not the patient, their family or in Namjoon’s case, his boss. If Namjoon had come to him in a proper setting, like came into his clinic, then Jin would be talking to the law about his bosses complete disregard for his employees health.     

Unfortunately for Jin, Namjoon didn't visit his office and Hoseok had requested it be handled in the same way all his appointment were - illegally. Meaning, Jin is 100% powerless to protect his patients (Really just Namjoon and Hoseok.).

It frustrates him to no end.

Jin has half a mind to call Hoseok as he drives to the youngers apartment and demand he see his patient, but he doesn't. Instead he keeps his cool, and does the adult thing. He grits his teeth and squeezes his hands around the steering wheel.

“You said someone other than Hoseok picked him up?” he asks Jungkook, who is next to him in the passenger's seat.   

He glances over briefly. The other had insisted he tag along ‘for protection’. Jin didn't want to waste time arguing, so he left him come against his better judgement. He ponders way to keep Jungkook out of harm's way if things don't go smoothly.

Jin has know Hoseok since he was in highschool, having been friends with his older sister; he is certain he can trust Hoseok. It’s the people Hoseok surrounds himself with that Jin is weary of.

Jin had tried to help out with the bills that his sister had left when she passed on, but Hoseok had refused. Jin was disheartened at first, but he quickly found other ways to keep his promise to Hoseoks sister. He honed his cooking skills and made sure he kept Hoseok as healthy as he could.

His biggest sorrow was that he wasn't able to save him from Jay.      

“Yeah,” Jungkook pauses, seemingly unsure of what to say next. “It definitely was not Hoseok.”

Jin picks up on his hesitation, but doesn't push it. He’s too occupied with the situation at hand. He swerves it Hoseoks apartments parking lot too fast, screeching to a stop so hard Jungkook grasps his seatbelt. Jin throws a hand out to steady him before turning off the car and pulling the keys out of the ignition.

“Okay. Here's the game plan: I’m going to go in alone-”

“No.” Jungkook catches his coat sleeve as he interrupts him. “Let me come with you. What if they try violence?”

Jin reminds himself to peel of the smock he still has on. It has his place of work, name, and title on it. It might not be wise for him to advertise his position while in the lion's den. He wants to smack himself for not thinking about the scrubs he’s wearing.        

“Kookie. You need to stay here, okay?” he holds up a hand before Jungkook can start up again. “I know you want to help, but you being safe here would help me more. Plus, what I get into trouble? Who’s going to call for help if you’re in the thick of it too?”  

He doesn't mention the fact that Jungkook probably wouldn't be able to stake on a bunch of thugs.  

Jungkook sulks, arms crossed over his chest and frown creasing his eyebrows, for a few minutes before nodding sedately.

“Fine. I don't like it, but you have a point.” he says.

“If I’m not back in 20 and you haven't heard from me, then call the authorities. I really doubt it’ll come to that, though. Hobi should be there so I think I’ll be safe.” Jin hopes he isn't lying.

“20 minutes, got it.”

Jin reaches over the center console to hug Jungkook.

“See you soon, okay?”

Leaving the keys with Jungkook, Jin walks up to the front door and knocks.    


 

 


 


 

Taehyung thought that after he saw Jungkook at the doctor's apartment, that would be it. He wouldn't ever see him again, and he could move on with his life as long as Jungkook didn't try to contact him and Jin’s existence as Hoseok’s personal physician stayed between the housemates.

    He had feigned innocence the whole time he dragged Namjoon through the apartment and Jungkook seemed to catch on to the fact that he wouldn't acknowledge their shared past. He let Taehyung leave without any problems.

This time he wouldn't be so lucky, that much is clear to Taehyung as he meets Jungkooks determined eyes though the car window.

He really should have taken his time at the convenience store.

Jungkook steps out of the car, holding Taehyung’s gaze the whole while. The door shuts and sense of finality settles over Taehyung. He clutches the plastic bag to his chest, the noisy crinkling echoing around the parking lot.

So Taehyung panics.

Maybe if I make a run for it, Jungkook won't follow me.

Taehyung spins on his heel and takes off, cursing his ty luck. He just has to cross about 12 spaces, then he’ll be safe and sound. He can give Hoseok what he asked for and then curl up in his bed and contemplate the reason  cosmic forces must have a grudge against him.  

He was wrong; Jungkook did follow him. Who know the little twelve year old boy he saved would grow up to be such a fast runner?  

Jungkook slams his palm on the door Taehyung was half way opening, effectively crushing all hope that this would end well for the both of them. Taehyung is acutely aware of  a few things in that moment : Jungkook’s chest pressing up against his back, the exhale tickling him as Jungkook whispers ‘wait,’ into his ear, the feeling of his lips on the shell of his right ear.

Taehyung rotates so he is facing the other, their chests bumping as they catch their breath,  and studies his face. Jungkook still has the scar on his cheek and bunny teeth. His eyes are still round and bright, the baby fat in his cheeks melted away to a strong jaw and cheekbones. Jungkook’s hair has changed nicely in the years passed; the awful buzz cut he used to have has long grown out and the locks are now a pleasant light brown instead of the black he was used to. Taehyung notices earrings the small black gauges sticking out. Jungkook swipes his tongue across his lower lip, the flash of pink catch his attention.

Oh god, he’s hot.

 

 


 

 

Hoseok opens the door, much to Jin’s relief. He was seriously scared that some strange thugs would be answer and Hoseok would be nowhere to be found.  

“Is Namjoon here with you?” he doesn't bother with pleasantries. Jin is in doctor mode.  

“Sorry, sorry, sorry,” Hoseok rubs his hands together repeatedly. “Jay said he needed to speak with him so I brought him here-”

“What's my one rule, Hoseok?” Jin interrupts as he puts his hands on his hips and glowers at his friend.

“Follow the doctor's orders.” He recites, shoulders stooping. He leans his body against the door and sighs.  

“And what were my orders again?” he prompts, not letting Hoseok weasel his way out of anything.

“Rest and for him to be kept under surveillance.” Hoseok pouts, eyes lowered.

Jin pushes his way into the flat, lightly nudging Hoseok out of the way.

“That’s right, and why do I need to keep an eye on my patient?” Jin starts down the hall.

He’s been to Hoseoks a few times, when his roommates weren't home, so he knows his way around. He stalks his way to the room he remembers as Hoseok’s. Jin barges in without knocking, but finds the room unoccupied. Hoseoks bed lay empty, the lights all turned off.

“Namjoon is in his own room.” Hoseok says, walking up to Jin. He points across the hall when Jin his head in confusion.

“I didn't know he lived with you.” he simply says.

Jin knew someone lived with Hoseok, probably a few someone’s, but Hoseok had never introduced him to anyone. Jin always figured it was because they were ruthless gangsters or something and that's why he never did, but Namjoon seems harmless. Gangly, and awkward maybe, but that's no reason for him to be kept a secret. Jin himself has been awkward since birth and feels Namjoon’s pain, having been cursed with long limbs as well.

Hoseok just shrugs and cracks open the door, peeking in before entering. He brings his finger to his lips and shushes him quietly, then he mouths ‘he's sleeping’ over his shoulder.

Jin nods, repeating the motions to show he understood.

Hoseok continues forward, guiding Jin through the dimly lit room. They navigate across the floor, stepping over random articles of clothing that are scattered all over the place; there is a pair of pants directly in front of the door; a shirt hangs off the back of a desk chair; two pairs of boxes almost trip Jin; he has counted 9 individual socks from the door to the mattress.

Namjoon is tucked into his bed, limbs askew. His hair is mussed up on one side and his face is swollen from sleeping, lips cracked open slightly as he snores.

It’s adorable; Jin almost coos.

If Namjoon was like this, how bad could his other housemates really be?

Jin creeps forward as soundlessly as he can. He almost makes it all the way but, unfortunately, being his clumsy self, he trips over something hard and almost crashes face first onto Namjoon. He lets out a squeak as he falls, but Hoseok manages to catch him.

The two men stand frozen, Hoseoks hand curled around his arm and waist to keep him steady, Jin’s eyes wide, holding their breath. They exhale after a minute, thinking Namjoon is still unconscious.

Jin straightens himself up and carefully sits on the edge of the mattress. He takes note of the sweat dotting Namjoon’s forehead and his shallow breathing. Not good. The moment he reaches to feel for a fever, Namjoon’s eyes shoot open, his hand roughly snatching Jin’s out of the air and shoving it away from his body.  

   


Author's Note:

Yoonmin should be in the next chapter :)  
It's barely edited so sorry if theres anything wrong