Chapter 1 - Stop. Remember. Start Anew.

The Barrier Between the Both of Us -- {Chapter 3 Has Been Added!}

             The day was March 17th. It was a bright and sunny day, rays of sunshine peering at the sides of the red curtains as the family withinside the cozy home slowly opened their eyes and rose to their feet as they just had awoken. As much as the day looked perfect for a nice picnic outdoors, the oldest brother of the family decided either so. The first to wake up was neither of the parents, seemingly so after lots of hard work trying to keep the whole family up and ready.  Apparently, it was the eldest brother, Jo Youngmin, who had just seemed like he had finished packing a suitcase. His chocolate brown eyes that usually were full of life, now seemed dull and looked like they lost every trace of happiness. Flashbacks of what happened during yesterday evening ransacked his mind and that's when he plopped down onto the corner of his bed to rub the temples of his head. A heavy sigh escaped from his throat as he just gave up. Everything that was said and done... it was too clear. He let his body crash onto his bed, staring at the ceiling until he got tired of doing so. The male slowly just let his eyes shut for a second. And then, everything came all at once.


 .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

             "Kamsahamnida." Youngmin chimed to the bus driver as he stepped off the bus. It drove away as soon as he got off.

             Youngmin was standing outside. He recently just got off the bus he took after leaving his friend, Jeongmin's house. He started rubbing his hands together and shivering as a sudden breeze swept by. It was a super cold evening, that was one thing to be sure of. Youngmin, himself, he preferred the cold seasons like Winter and Autumn, but oh boy, it was way too cold for him. Zipping up his black jacket a little more and shoving one of his hands into his pockets, his teeth started to chatter as he stood out on the front porch of his family's home. Today was the night he was going to confess. Today was the night he was going to let it all out and show his true feelings. To who, you may ask? The one and only person he's known forever after six minutes of his life. Jo Kwangmin. But, everything came too soon. Too quick. And the barrier grew as when each rose petal from the bouquet he held fell into the white, fluffy snow.


.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.Flashback to Jeongmin's Apartment.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

             Okay, he had to admit. He wasn't at Jeongmin's little, messy apartment because he wanted to watch mushy and cheesy Korean dramas with his own friend. He needed advice, to be truthful. Youngmin was even sure of this himself. He was utmost terrible at conveying his own feelings whenever he tried to confess. History of past confessions didn't end so well for him. He even got rejected as a child and sobbed all the way back home. But now, he was twenty. He was a full grown adult! Was it because he didn't have much experience? Youngmin himself, honestly never knew about it when it came to these terms.

             "So... whatcha got making you all embarrassed and stuttery?" asked Jeongmin, right after one of the many Korean dramas they watched ended with the OST playing. The older of the two snickered when Youngmin broke eye contact with him. "Does little Youngminnie have a girlfriend?" he teased, laughing out loud as when Youngmin's face reddened and then punched him in the arm. "Hey, hey, no need to get violent because of your little adorable crush on some girl!" He grinned brightly before slinging an arm over the older twin's shoulder. "So, what does she look like? Is she cute? y? Or is she both? Both is good."

             "He doesn't--" Youngmin stopped himself before he said anything more. Darn him and him not being able to keep secrets so easily.

             Jeongmin raised an eyebrow and laughed, "So it's a he? Wow, I never knew you swung that way, Jo Youngmin! Why didn't you tell me sooner? Man... I could've told you all the good times I had with my own ex-boyfriend before..." The twenty-one male slumped back against the couch and let out a sigh as if there was totally nothing wrong with suddenly saying that he had a boyfriend.

             Youngmin totally did not just choke on his own saliva. He totally did not at that time. This was the only time in his whole freaking life was he able to withhold a huge secret in his own mind. To be honest, he was sorta upset about that information.

             Jeongmin looked over at Youngmin and poked the side of his cheek, "So... who's the lucky person?" he inquired, a sly grin washing over his face. "Is it Minwoo? Your brother's best friend ever since like... uh... wait no... He's already dating Donghyun, nevermind." He continued to openly state his thoughts while Youngmin continued to cough.

             A beet red blush set upon Youngmin's face as he tried to contain his coughing and halt it to an end. "I-I'm--" he coughed a few times, "--not going to tell you--!" The older twin buried his face into a nearby pillow, most likely letting out his last cough of the day. He pulled the pillow away from his face, but didn't dare to look up at Jeongmin. "I-I just need some advice..."

             "Oh really? You'll tell me someday, I just know it," Jeongmin responded, making a clicking sounding with his tongue and winked simutaneously when he pulled out his imaginary finger guns. "Advice? Then you've come to the right person, Youngmin-ah! They don't call me the Love Doctor or anything," said Jeongmin as he stretched his body and got off the couch. He went into a dramatic pose and placed his fingers onto his chin. "So... you must be starting to confess, correct?" He let out a chuckle when he saw Youngmin reluctantly nod his head in reply to his question. "There's nothing you can really do. Just be yourself. From what I know, Jo Youngmin's crushes never seem to like him when he isn't himself."

             Youngmin rolled his eyes at the amazing "advice" that the great "Love Doctor", Lee Jeongmin provided him. Then, he wonders why he even went to this guy's house for relationship advice... "That was helpful," he mumbled, resting his head on the top of the couch.

             "But, but, but, you should get him like flowers or gift or something. What happened to your amazing charisma, Youngmin-ah? And your dandy style too! You were so proud about that before," Jeongmin added, crossing one of his legs over the other.

             Youngmin cringed at the words "charisma" and "dandy style". Okay. He was a teenager then and he didn't know what the hell he was doing before. It was the era of when Jo Youngmin ate up part of his own brother's 4Dness. "It's just maturity actually kicking in for once," Youngmin lied. He actually did have a little of the alien life force within him, since it was just like that in its own way, but still! He took a second to ponder about the gift Jeongmin suggested. "I might... just... get some flowers. Red roses, perhaps?"

             Jeongmin nodded, "Those will do great! He probably will like them. Unless, he's allergic to flowers."

             "I know he's not allergic to flowers, hyung," Youngmin muttered, rolling his eyes as he slid off the couch.

             "And how do you know that, Jo Youngmin? Hah, you just gave me a hint to who your little boy crush is on!" Jeongmin exclaimed in victory as he struck another dramatic pose.

             "I did not--"

             "Did too!"

             "Ugh... I swear to Donghyun-hyung, hyung," Youngmin complained as he darted his eyes over to the clock. It was about 7:45 P.M. He should start going home soon before his parents and brothers get suspicious of him... for being out so late. "I should start heading home soon, Jeongmin-hyung. It's late," the older twin stated before scrambling to his feet. He yawned loudly and stretched his body. "See you tomorrow, I guess."

             Jeongmin nodded his head. He, himself was actually feeling a bit tired himself. Guess those Korean dramas paid off. He watched Youngmin take his black jacket off of the coat rack near the door and waved, a grin spread across his face. "Hope your confession will be accepted! See you tomorrow, pabo!" And after that, Youngmin groaned and slammed the door on his way out. He was totally done with Jeongmin's cheesy words. From there and after that, Youngmin headed off to one of the stores that were open literally twenty-four/seven. Bought a bouquet of red roses. After that, he walked to the bus stop and was thinking out his whole plan about how he was going to counterattack and bring it down for once and for all. But, he wasn't expecting... well... the unexpected.


             Youngmin let out heavy sighs and fixed his hair in the nearby window. The shutters were down so no one could see him, inside. Hesitantly, he rang the doorbell. The door unlocked. He opened his mouth to speak, but then after seeing who was in front of him, he couldn't. It was a total stranger. A stranger with his hair all messed up. Who... who was this person?! And why was he in his house?!

             "Oh, you must be Kwangmin's older twin brother, right? Kwangmin told me about you," said the stranger. This person... he looked admirably strong. Literate boyfriend material actually. There was no way it was his baby brother, Hyunmin's friend or boyfriend. Which only meant that this guy regarded Kwangmin. Youngmin still didn't know the actual reason why this guy was here, but he knew that the other male noticed the almost bare roses in his hand. "Oh... got rejected, huh? Oh wait-- sorry! You must be freezing! Sorry for blocking your way." The slightly shorter guy shuffled off to the side, where Youngmin literally had to force himself inside. This was his home and this guy was acting like it was his own home... And that bothered him.

             Kwangmin zoomed inside the living room and crashed right into Youngmin, startling the older twin by an awful lot. Then Hyunmin crashed into Kwangmin, who crashed into Youngmin because apparently Hyunmin slipped and Kwangmin was trying to run away from him. Youngmin was sprawled on the floor and both Kwangmin and Hyunmin were literally killing him under all their weight. "Ugh... you two! I'm going to suffocate under you both unless you get off of me--!"

             The younger twin laughed sheepishly as he rolled off to the side, taking Hyunmin with him. "Sorry Youngmin-ah.." he spoke, a light blush tinting his cheeks. The stranger nearby gave a hand to both him and Youngmin, but Youngmin just got up on his own. Kwangmin took it, of course, since he seemed to be good friends with this other person.

             Youngmin literally was shooting arrows at this stranger. Like, with his eyes, not actual arrows. That wouldn't be good.

             "Oh yeah! Youngmin, you've never met Hyunseong, right?" Kwangmin shot a bright smile at his brother before dragging him forward. "Youngmin, Hyunseong. Hyunseong, Youngmin."

             Simutaneously, both Youngmin and Hyunseong spoke.

             "Reaaaally, huh?" murmured Youngmin.

             "It's nice to meet the older twin of Kwangmin! You too really do look alike," Hyunseong stated with a laugh.

             Youngmin was already unhappy as he was. Really, he wanted to have this guy to get the heck out of here because he just ruined his own plans... And it looked like he was getting way too close to his Kwangmin. Was it jealousy? Probably so.

              "Yeah, yeah. I know, we're identical twins," Youngmin muttered, crossing his arms. Although, he was too quiet for anyone to hear under the sudden screaming and tackling by his baby brother.

             Yep, it was confirmed that Hyunmin took much of Kwangmin's alien personality. Confirmed by who? Jo Youngmin, himself. Luckily, for the eldest brother's sake, Youngmin didn't toppel down like a brick tower. Although, Hyunmin's yelling and clinging onto him got in the way of what Kwangmin and Hyunseong were talking about. But, very few words were distanctly different from the inaudible words he heard. Words like "I", "love","you","kisses" and "confess". They all stood out. And that was the last straw for him.

             Youngmin angrily stomped up the stairs, gently pushing Hyunmin off of him before he left. Something was burning in the pit of his stomach and he repeatedly murmured to himself that it wasn't jealousy.

             Worriedly, Kwangmin darted his eyes up at his brother before saying sorry for his brother's sudden actions. Hyunseong nervously laughed and said nothing was wrong. He decided to leave after that and would call or text Kwangmin later. That's when Kwangmin put his attention back onto his brother's problem. Was something wrong? He rushed up the spiral staircase and knocked on Youngmin's door. No response. He opened his door by just a little and peeked inside. On the floor, discarded, was the floor bouquet that was completely bare of any red rose petals. Youngmin had his arm draped over his face and laid on his own bed.

             It took a while before one of them spoke. "Go away." Youngmin spoke in a harsh tone.

             "What's wrong--" asked Kwangmin as he opened the door a little more. Worry could be sensed and it was becoming more prominent as he got closer to Youngmin.He was soon interrupted by Youngmin's sudden interjection.

             Anger built up inside Youngmin even more. "I said, go away!" he yelled, clenching his hands into fists. He didn't mean that. He didn't mean to scream. He didn't mean to shoo off Kwangmin. But, his mouth kept moving and spitting out cruel words. "I don't need to hear your stupid words to help me feel better about what just happened!" Each word felt like venom to not only Kwangmin, but Youngmin himself. He just couldn't handle it. Youngmin could imagine his brother's reaction right now. He knew that Kwangmin would look like he would cry. He knew that Kwangmin would silently accept for what he had done and what Youngmin said to him. Youngmin just wanted to go up to him and hug him so bad, but he just couldn't. His body wouldn't let him. His mind wouldn't let him. He heard the creek and sound of the door closing and that's when the sobs exploded out from his mouth. He rolled onto his side and curled up in the middle of his bed like a kitten. What was wrong with him? With tearstained cheeks and red eyes, he drifted off to sleep without changing his clothes that were sprinkled without snow and skipped dinner with his own family.

             Kwangmin, on the other hand, broke down as soon as the door closed. He slid down against the door and brought his knees to his chest. Sobs and ever so many tears poured down his cheeks. He didn't understand. He was so confused. He and Youngmin never had fought like this before. He didn't know the cause of this fight either. He just couldn't control the tears running down his face. He too had skipped dinner with the family. He ended up dozing off to sleep against the door with only his jacket as a blanket.

             The barrier between the yet two identical twins, although different, had just started to thicken.


.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

             Youngmin opened his eyes. It just felt like he traveled back in time to witness the horrendous and horrible mistakes that he, himself created just yesterday. Grabbing his full suitcase, he wobbled onto his feet and looked at himself in the mirror. His eyes were a little red from crying earlier and his light-brown hair was literally all over the place. Not liked he cared though. Where he was going was something different. He was going to America; overseas. Why so, you ask? About a few weeks ago, Youngmin had applied to a college in America. Surprisingly enough, he got accepted somehow. He was supposed to pick a college that he prefered or thought he'd do well in, but right now, he wanted to get away from Kwangmin as soon as possible. He just felt really uncomfortable around his little twin brother right now. Youngmin just thought it would've been a good idea to just be independent and get some space from his family. Stupid it was. He didn't notify his parents. He only texted Jeongmin about the news, but when he mentioned a guy named Hyunseong, Jeongmin went completely silent. With a loud sigh and four different letters sprawled on his desk, he left everything he loved. He tried to leave every memory he had in Korea in well... Korea. It was a time to start anew.

             Let there be a world for Youngmin who meets all kinds of people and discovers all kinds of places. Will the memories in Korea be remembered? Or shall they be washed away and be pushed against the barrier? Who knows?