Chapter Four

Five Years Later
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a long tiring day, after the radio show Baekhyun accompanied Chanyeol to his script reading followed by a fan signing and they arrived back at Chanyeol’s penthouse at seven in the evening. Over the course of the day he had tried to find time to talk to Chanyeol about what he said during the radio show, but failed to do so as Chanyeol was constantly surrounded by other people, and Baekhyun didn’t think it was appropriate to discuss his confession in front of them.

Now that they were alone in the apartment Baekhyun was struggling to find a way to approach the subject.  He practiced what he was going to say in the kitchen as he made Chanyeol a cup of tea, and found himself smiling when he saw Chanyeol playing with kimchi on the couch. The small puppy was lying on his lap, liking at his palm while he his fair. That annoying fur ball suddenly looked adorable and its owner looked equally as cute. Baekhyun had to shake himself back to reality and stop himself form grinning like a love sick fool at the two of them.

Handing over the cup of tea, Baekhyun awkwardly stood by the couch, willing himself to speak. Never had he found starting a conversation so hard, but before he could say anything Chanyeol spoke instead. “Kimchi’s really sorry about chewing on your shoe,” he said holding up the dog so that it could face Baekhyun.

Baekhyun couldn’t help smiling as the dog cutely yawned, and picking up the puppy he held him in his arms and set down next to Chanyeol on the couch. Gently he scratched its ears, sneaking side glances towards Chanyeol as an awkward silence fell upon them. Chanyeol’s schedule for the day was done so Baekhyun was free to go home, and that’s what he usually did. He was slightly surprised at Chanyeol not questioning why he had offered to make him a cup of tea and set down with him when he usually left as soon as Chanyeol was settled at home.   

Turning his face to meet Chanyeol’s gaze he was about to speak but before he could even open his mouth Chanyeol got off the couch and walked towards his bedroom.  Baekhyun inwardly groaned, and placing Kimchi on the couch he was about to stand up and leave assuming that Chanyeol going off to his bedroom was his rude way of dismissing him, but just as he was about to get to his feet Chanyeol came into the living area. He had a light brown shoe box in his hands which he gifted to Baekhyun.

“I can’t take these,” Baekhyun protested refusing to accept the gift.

“Of course you can,” Chanyeol insisted shoving the shoe box in his hands. “They were a gift from an overzealous fan, shame they got my shoe size wrong,” he explained slumping onto the sofa next to him.   

“But I can’t accept them,” Baekhyun insisted opening the lid to reveal the pair of Tod’s suede loafers.

“You might as well I’ll only end up throwing them away, they don’t fit me, but I think they’ll probably fit you,” he said placing his right foot next to Baekhyun’s left one, “Your feet are smaller, seeing as you’re so much shorter.”

Baekhyun felt rather touched by Chanyeol’s open-handedness but his thankful smile quickly turned into a frown at Chanyeol’s jibe at his height. Noticing his change in mood Chanyeol outwardly laughed. “Do you still have a height complex?”

“I have no such thing,” Baekhyun was quick to retort.

“No?” Chanyeol mocked. “You no longer mind being a short ?”

“My height didn’t seem to be so much of a problem for you in the past, or have you grown picky since you stopped looking like a pig,” he retorted mentally cringing as the words left his mouth. He couldn’t believe he had just called him a pig, for god sake he was meant to be apologising not further insulting him.

“Yeah thankfully I no longer look like a pig, but you’re still a nasty . Somethings never change,” Chanyeol replied with a smirk. 

“You’re right,” he nodded in agreement. “I’m sorry I shouldn’t have called you a pig.”

“Whatever,” Chanyeol shrugged rolling his eyes and getting to his feet. “Do you want a glass of wine?” he asked heading towards the fridge.

“Sure,” Baekhyun replied, confused as to why he was offering him a glass of wine instead of kicking him out of his home after he had so rudely slighted him.

Placing two wine glasses on the coffee table, Chanyeol poured the white wine, keeping one for himself and handing the other glass to Baekhyun. “Cheers,” he said clinking their glasses and taking a sip of the liquid.

“Did you really mean what you said at the radio show?” Baekhyun blurted out after a few minutes of silence, by which time Chanyeol downed his first glass of wine and moved on to his second.

“Which part?”

“The part about your high school crush.”

“Yes,” he quickly replied, further flustering Baekhyun. “Why? Were you surprised? I thought I always made it obvious that I liked you. Or did you think I helped everyone with their science and math homework?.”

Back in high school Baekhyun was completely hopeless at anything math and science related, he did very well with everything else but never managed to grasp the concept of algebra or the periodic table. He always needed help with his home works and projects and Chanyeol was always very eager to oblige. At the time Baekhyun didn’t think much of his odd behaviour, he just assumed that Chanyeol was desperate to have a friend. But they never really formed a friendship, or at least Baekhyun never thought of him as a friend, but they did spend quite some time together at the school library over the years.  Chanyeol was always willing to give up his lunch break to help him out, but again Baekhyun didn’t think much of it as he thoughtlessly always assumed that Chan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter