Crimsom

Little Red

 I trotted forward enjoying the winter wind blowing on my white fur and the soft snow ground beneath my paws. I ran from the far end of the woods but stopped when a delicious aroma caught my attention. The sweet scent made my mouth water, hungry to taste it. I looked up for the scent and found a small girl that I believe was no older than sixteen. She stood in the middle of the forest looking longingly at the snapdragons. She had dark, black hair and a stunning crimson red cloak. I quickly transformed back into my human form and walked towards her.

“Hello,” I called.

She jumped and looked at me with surprise.

“I’m sorry. You just surprised me.” She fumbled.

“It’s alright. And what might your name be?” I asked with a smile.

“J…Jang Mi.” She said cautiously.

Don’t be scared little girl. I don’t bite….much. I thought.

“But my parents call me Red.” She said indicating her vibrant red cloak that she was wearing.

I laughed, this human was indeed amusing. She laughed too. Her laughter was sweet and soft, like the sound of tinkling bells.

“And what would your name be?” She asked.

I was surprised! Most humans don’t possess any kind of politeness. Well at least not to animals I thought bitterly.

“Luhan.” I said, giving her a roguish grin.

My exterior not revealing my bitter thoughts that I had for her.

“And what might a lovely young lady like yourself doing out here alone?”

Red blushed and I tried not to concentrate on the warm pooling of blood that had rushed up to her cheeks.

“My grandmother’s been sick and I’m bringing her some food.” She said as she lifted up the basket she was carrying.

Grandmother, hmmm, not bad. Kind of brittle but two is better than one. I thought.

“Kind as well as beautiful,” I complimented, enjoying watching the blush creep back onto her cheeks.

“I bet she would love some flowers,” I said smoothly.

“I know she would!” She admitted as if she committed some kind of a big crime.

“But I told her that I was coming and she’ll be worried. I’ve taken too much time already.” She said with her face full of worry.

I was secretly impressed. Most people would have thought it a chore to visit their old grandmother sick in bed, but Red honestly cared. Not that it mattered, I reminded myself and they’d both be dead soon. I didn't like the pang that I felt at my thoughts.

"I have an idea," I said slowly.

"You can stay here and I'll run along and bring your grandmother the food and tell her that you are coming”

"Thank you, Luhan. You're a lifesaver." She hugged me awkwardly around the chest.

Lifesaver indeed, I chuckled. I took the basket and walked off, completely happy by the thought of my meal. I came across the small cottage a few minute later. I swiftly transformed into my wolf form and nudged the door open with my nose. A mouth-watering scent hit my nose as I stepped in. Indeed this is Red’s grandmother. The rich aroma of her wafted down and beckoned me. I could not resist the delightful sensations that whipped up inside my memory at the mere thought of delving my teeth deep and fast into the flesh.

"Red?" a frail voice called.

I followed the sound to a bedroom where a small frail woman lay. She lifted her head up with a great effort.

"You're not Red," she said in confusion with a hint of fear lacing her tone.

"No, but she'll be along later.” I said smiling wickedly.

I lunged at her and landed with a thump. I dug into the rich flesh with ravenous hunger.  After I’m done, I changed back to my human form and lay contently on the bed for a few minutes. I curled up on the bed and my mouth, not bad, not bad.

"Grandma," I heard a soft voice call.

Right on time, could've used a couple more minutes, but this worked nicely. I yawned and stretched my back.

“In here," I called.

Red entered, her face flushed and her smile radiant. Her red cloak dragged across the floor as she I see her walked towards her grandmother’s room.

"Luhan?" she called and her eyes darted around.

"Luhan. Where is my grandmother?" she said again.

Silly, naïve, thing, I thought, not liking the possessive tone my thought possessed. I transformed back to the white wolf and watch as horror took over Red’s face. I landed on her and bit in. For a moment a flash of betrayal appeared in her bright brown eyes and I heard her gasp the word "Why", and then it was gone, replaced by pain.

Red! The most humane part of me thought. It struggled against the brutal part of me. The brutal side won and I attacked again but the moment I did the voice returned struggling against it, I growled annoyed.

"I'm sorry," I heard a soft voice call.

The pitiless side of me jerked back and the humane side of me won but just for a moment. I looked into her sincere eyes.

"I'm sorry that you don't have anyone to love you. To smile at you, I'm sorry you don't have anyone to love. It's not your fault." She said shaking her head seemingly trying to convince herself too.

"It's not your fault." She must have seen something in my eyes because she muttered one last time.

"I'm sorry." She took one last shuddering breath and then she was gone.

"I'm sorry, too," I said softly.

I looked at her for a long time and saw things that I hadn't seen before. She was pretty. I suppose that Humans would have called her beautiful but in the way that she held herself I could tell she probably didn't even notice. She was kind; she would trust anyone, even an Animal. She was unlike anyone I had ever met and I doubted I would ever meet anyone like her ever again. I placed my head in my paws and whined. What had I done? I nudged her lightly with my nose and she didn't move. I clumsily used my paws to wrap her in her cloak, stained red by her blood. I took one last look at her face, peaceful in death and left the house.

"I will never kill again."