Chapter Six

The Dragon Gang

 

It was definitely way past the time Hyosung thought she’d be going home, but only now she was leaving the guys’ place.

“I hope it doesn’t take so long for us to see each other again.”

Yongguk said, leaning on the door frame, looking at the very tired looking woman.

“Yeah, I hope so too.”

 She gave him a bright smile, something she never found hard to do, no matter how tired she was.

“It’s really late. Do you want me to take you home?”

That was the question Yongguk always asked her when Hyosung was leaving, and she always answered with a yes. He liked having the opportunity to walk alone with her, and talk about whatever was on his mind. And due to her always constant answer, he liked to think she also enjoyed his company. He smiled and he waited for the usual word, but what came out of was not it.

“Well…”

She started, looking very apologetic, even more after the smile on his face disappeared.

“Actually, today… I want Himchan to take me home.”

Hyosung completed, and at the mention of his name, Himchan appeared, already putting on his coat.

“Okay, let’s go. See ya in a bit, Yongguk.”

The man said as he passed through the door, waking off in a fast pace, making Hyosung rush to follow him. Before she was too far away, she quickly turned back, mouthing a simple ‘sorry’ towards Yongguk, and watching as he closed the door.

“So? I was right wasn’t I?”

Himchan asked, already knowing the answer and clearly feeling superior about it.

“Yeah, he’s definitely weird.”

Hyosung answered, compartmentalizing away Yongguk’s broken-hearted expression so she could focus on Himchan. Still, she couldn’t hide in her face how terrible she felt about what just happened.

“More than weird, he’s creepy! And he’s only nice to Yongguk, which is creepier. Makes me think he has some sort of hidden agenda.”

Himchan said, looking obviously bothered.

“Yeah…”

Hyosung answered absent-mindedly, and no matter how much he observed her, Himchan had no idea what could be going through her mind at the moment.

“Just… Tell me if something strange happens, ok?”

She instructed, still looking like her head was far, far away with other thoughts.

 

 

Jongup walked through the corridors of the alleged abandoned building, but that place was far from being empty. It was the heart of their gang’s operations, and the place to go if someone wanted to have a talk with the boss, or in his case, were summoned by him.

After going through a maze of hallways and security personnel, he arrived In front of a modest looking door, and promptly knocked on it.

“Well, if it isn’t Moon Jongup? I hope life had treated you well so far, because your future doesn’t look bright to me.”

The man who answered the door immediately said, as he allowed the other to enter the room, which really resembled what one would call a waiting room, a lot more beaten down and slightly dusty. Following the comparison, that would make the man who opened the door a secretary. But everyone knew he was much more than that.

“Who are you to care for my future, Jung Daehyun?”

Jongup said the man’s name with the utmost despise, and his face didn’t show much affection either. Daehyun was the complete opposite, smiling like he had just won a bet, looking very pleased to know that Jongup might be in trouble on the days to come.

“Mind your own business.”

Jongup added, in a very sharp tone, wishing to cut the crap and get things over with. He stood still, observing as a chuckling Daehyun went through the larger doors on the other side of the room. He waited a little more, and Daehyun returned, not a trace of a smile left in his face.

“Go in.”

With that command, Jongup went ahead and crossed the doors, meeting eyes with his all-time boss, and Zelo’s father.

“What’s the news? Did you find him?”

The man immediately asked, sitting comfortably behind his important and imposing desk, not looking bothered at all, but Jongup knew he was probably dying on the inside. The old man was good at hiding his feeling, but Jongup knew better than that.

“I’m afraid I did boss. But it’s not good news.”

The young man started, and he could see a small discomfort flash across the other’s face. Zelo’s father started to look rather angry, but motioned for Jongup to continue.

“The rumors are true. The heir of the Dragon gang really did come back into active, and I believe they kidnapped our young master as a way to state that they’re back.”

Jongup explained and stepped forward carefully, placing the paper he was carrying on top of the desk, and then stepping back. It was a picture of Yongguk, and the older man stared at it for quite a bit, his face getting red as his blood started to boil. He could never remain calm when it involved the Dragon gang.

The Snake gang and Dragon gang had been in conflict for many years, even going down through generations, but it all had stopped with the sudden disappearance of the Dragon gang. Words on the streets was that the heir refused to continue the ‘business’, and so the gang died down, becoming quiet and submissive. Zelo’s father was more than happy to take control and make the Snake gang the reigning one from there on.

To think that they were back, and personally attacking him like that, made the man almost enter a rage state. But he had good self-control, and looked back at Jongup to see if he had anything to add before he could explode into anger.

“They seem to have him captive on a well-hidden location, none of our guys could find it. But we’re still searching. And I think that our technician, Yoo Youngjae, may have gotten close to finding it, because he was found dead in his apartment last night. He seemed to have been dead for some time already.”

Jongup completed, and waited for instructions. It took more than a few seconds for the old man to respond though, as he seemed to have a hard time controlling his nerves. It was actually an enjoyable sight to Jongup, who his entire life saw that man with a cold expression on his face.

“Find out everything you can. Search the technician’s apartment, and any previous known locations for those Dragon bastards. Report back to me whenever you have anything useful. Go away now.”

With those words, Jongup turned away, going back through the large doors and closing them behind him.

On the other room, Daehyun was on his own desk, which was significantly smaller than the boss’, but still large enough for him to have space to put his feet up. He stared at Jongup with a smile on his face, not saying a word.

“What?”

The man just irritated Jongup, and recently he was becoming more and more insufferable.

“Nothing, I’m perfectly fine. I’m not the guy who lost the boss’ son anyway.”

Daehyun said, and just laughed, watching as Jongup went away with an annoyed expression on his face.

 

 

Zelo walked out of the university area, weaving through some dark alleys, until he finally reached Jongup’s car and got in. Their meeting place was different every time, to avoid people following them.

“So?”

He asked, doing the same thing he did every night when he got in the car: reaching for his cigarettes.

“I gave your father Bang Yongguk’s picture. It won’t be long now.”

Jongup answered, taking his lighter out of his pocket and passing it to Zelo, whose hand was already out and ready to receive it.

“Good. And my money?”

The boy asked with the cigarette in his mouth.

“Here.”

Jongup handed him a very fat bag, which was almost overflowing with cash. He quickly looked through it, not really counting, as it would be impossible to, but making sure it at least looked to be the amount he asked for.

“And you killed the guy who helped you get it?”

He asked as he put the bag to the side. That was the last thing he needed to complete his plan.

“Yes, young master.”

Jongup answered, and Zelo nodded proudly.

“Good. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The boy got out of the car, and walked back to the dorm, throwing his cigarette on the floor once he was getting close.

He sneaked back in, making his way back to the couch in the dark, when the light suddenly .

He was a bit surprised, and looked over to the switch as fast as he could, seeing Himchan staring at him with a very serious face. He immediately relaxed, because he thought it would be one of his father’s men. Himchan was harmless to him, but the man didn’t seem to notice, and talked to him in a very strict tone.

“Where were you?”