Different People, Different Consequences

Class A-Team

[From Yoojung’s POV]

 

Despite the fact that I did not need to go to school for the next month ahead, I was still pretty glad that it was a Saturday. For some reason, I treated the weekdays of the summer holidays like a typical day at school; I studied for most of the time and only went out with some of the SEVENTEEN boys for lunch, just like what we always did after school dismissal. 

 

There were times when we would choose to study within the campus together with the Year 3 students, so as to provide an encouraging, yet comforting, presence for them. This was due to the fact that they had frequent supplementary classes during the summer break. Hence, whenever they needed someone to vent their stress and anxieties towards, we would always be there without a doubt. 

 

As I had said before, I thanked the heavens that it was a Saturday. This was because I did not sleep well the previous night due to the stress that had accumulated from the previous day’s happenings. According to Hyorin, who stayed up late to hit the books, I kept shifting in my sleep while murmuring some sort of incoherent words. She had also mentioned that I had broke out in cold sweat at one point, as if I was afraid of something non-existent. 

 

“Hey.” She spoke in a soft and gentle tone, not wanting to startle me with her usual loudness, “I prepared some breakfast. Do you want to eat?” 

 

At that, I got out of bed groggily with my eyelids feeling as if they were made of lead. My hair was most likely in an absolute mess, with bits of it sticking out at random parts of my head; like I had conducted a failed science experiment requiring explosives or electricity. Furthermore, my t-shirt and pants were littered with crinkles and creases, perhaps showing the amount of movement I did during my journey in dream (or even nightmare) land.

 

I heard a soft chuckle behind me and turned to look around, only to notice Hyorin sitting just next to me on my side of the bed. She looked the exact opposite of me; Alive, washed up and all ready to start the day. 

 

“Good morning Hyorin-ah…” I croaked and flashed a small smile, clearing my throat shortly afterwards before grabbing the water bottle on my bedside to hydrate my scratching throat. 

 

“Unnie, you alright?”

 

She asked with worry written all over her face. Her eyes screamed concern and her eyebrows furrowed, with the brief sighting of worry lines on her forehead. With that, I felt guilty causing her to worry so much about me. At times, she was more worried for me than she was for herself regarding Jisoo’s disappearance. Perhaps it was because I had known him as a friend for a long time, hence, causing her to worry about the emotional aspects of my life afterwards. 

 

Now, if I were to tell her what had happened the night before, it would only affect her more and I would never want that to happen. She was an emotional girl so it was best not to say it out. Firstly, she had already “lost” her older brother and she did not deserve to worry about another person like me. “Losing” a family member was bad enough and I could not bear to add on more worry weight to her shoulders. 

 

Hence, I forced a rather assuring smile on my face and nodded. Unfortunately, I noticed that she was not buying it totally. Sure, she smiled back and gave me a pat on the back but her eyes showed the opposite. 

 

I diffused the awkwardness and asked with the most enthusiasm that I could conjure, “Sure! What’s for breakfast?” 

 

“I decided to go a little traditional today so I made kimchi kimbap and miso soup. I hope that’s alright for a breakfast….” She trailed off without continuing as her face began to fall, probably feeling ashamed for her “lack of cooking skills”. 

 

I laughed and ruffled her hair, before saying in an assuring tone, “It’s alright. It’s the thought that counts, Hyorin-ah. Perhaps I could teach you how to cook more dishes. Whatever you wish to cook, I can teach you.” 

 

With that response, her face lighted up once again, like how the sun rays were when the sun rose.

 

“Great!!” She replied in an excited manner, “Jisoo oppa always loved your cooking! For most of the time, he’d always talk about the lunches that you made everyday. He can go on and on about them; Describing the dishes, the taste, the presentation et cetera! Trust me, I thought he was going to become a descendant of Shakespeare with all those flowery expressions.”  

 

Hearing that, I could not help but feel a little flustered with Hyorin’s comment. It was a gradual feeling but I knew that my cheeks were getting warmer by the second. If a minute had already passed, I could easily pass off as a cooked lobster at that rate. 

 

“Aww, you’re blushing, aren’t you?” Hyorin cooed with a mischievous glint in her eyes. 

 

“N-No, I-I’m n-not!!”, I stammered in embarrassment, “Let’s go eat! It’s already 10.30am. My goodness, if I continue to stay in bed, I’d never leave till the next morning!” 

 

At that, I proceeded to shoo her out of my bed to the dining table, while I remained to brush my teeth and take a lukewarm shower to calm my nerves from the previous night. Next, I grabbed a simple white top with black shorts to change into, before sitting with Hyorin at the dinner table. 

 

“Any plans for today?” I asked, while chewing on the kimbap that Hyorin made. Even though she always thought that she couldn’t cook due to the lack of variety, she made pretty decent food. It was always flavourful and nicely presented. However, Hyorin always had a strong fighting spirit within her, hence, it was a given that she is adamant to learn more recipes and execute them. 

 

“Hansol wanted to go out with me today. He said that he needed some help with the Physics homework that Mrs Jung handed out just before the holidays.” She replied calmly. 

 

When I heard that, I raised my eyebrows in suspicion and looked at her, still calm as if we were talking about the weather. 

 

“Hansol Vernon Chwe?” 

 

“Yup!” Sensing the doubt, she laughed heartily and said between her giggles, “Oh my god unnie, why do you look so terrified? Hansol and I are just friends, really!” 

 

“Really? He’s a nice guy. Great looks, great personality and has loads of girls going after him.” I said with a smirk on my face because I could tell that she had already began to blush slightly at my remark.

 

“But whatever the case,” I said again in a louder and more authoritative tone of voice, “No funny business when I’m not around. If something happens, Jisoo would probably kill me once he has the chance.” 

 

****

 

[From Jisoo’s POV]

 

Pain shot through my body as I opened my eyes. God knows how long I had been knocked out cold for but it was definitely not a good feeling. I squinted to adjust my eyes to the sudden introduction of the sun beaming down at me. The throbbing in my head grew more imminent as I tried to sit up, hence, I lied back down again, giving time to process my surroundings. 

 

After my vision had become clear, I started to take note of the drastic change in surroundings. Firstly, I lied on the tarmac floor, surrounded with empty cans, scrap pieces of paper and deteriorating food boxes. With that, I shot up and looked around me. 

 

It turned out that I was left to my own devices in a deserted alleyway. Suddenly, the smell of rotting waste filled my nose as I took in the sight, causing me to gag slightly at the pungency of the smell. Furthermore, the tarmac had potholes here and there, filled with stagnant and stale water. 

 

“How the hell did I end up here…?” I questioned myself, thinking long and hard about how I had ended up in the outdoors. I remembered clearly that I had came back to the “safe house” after my appointment. Hence, I should not be here, unless I was somehow drunk or drugged from my constant hangouts at the clubs and bars. 

 

I looked down at my own body, hoping for an explanation and there it was, spelt out for me. I was covered in dry blood on my arms and shirt and not to mention, the typical cuts and bruises on my arms. I winced at the sight, wondering how I could have survived all that pain. 

 

It was only then that I had a small piece of paper in my hands. I picked it up and read its contents. It said: 

 

I’m glad you managed to show the syndicate that they have loopholes in their operations. However, I am more glad to know that you had successfully managed to prevent the person you love from getting hurt. Trust me, I know you like her. I was there in the house when the syndicate was doing their research and I had seen more than I should have. How you described her, what she was to you et cetera.

 

Unfortunately, I am sorry that I was unable to protect you from the consequences that came after. Even though you managed to prevent her from stepping on the path to harm’s way, you couldn’t protect yourself when you did so.

 

The syndicate, through many means and ways, found out who had interfered with their plans. Hence, they decided to torture you so that you would know where you stand when it comes to your role. They drugged you first, not wanting you to remember a single thing, and then they tortured you. They kicked you, punched you and cut you (hence the slice marks on your arm) with swiss army knives. Much blood was spilled for your “misdeed” on that very night.

 

However, I did manage to convince the leader that you’re a still a worthy asset to us. He’s not in the right state of mind to make decisions now, knowing that he has been betrayed by his own people, but I’ll tell you when the time is right. Don’t worry, I have my ways of finding you.

 

I know this is difficult for you because you want to pay off your mother’s debt as quickly as you can, but this has hindered your paying of the debt greatly. I’m sorry for all that has happened to you and your family, as well as your loved ones.

 

Again, I would like to apologize for being a stupid coward, refusing to admit that I was the one who had brought you into this. However, I must say, you do have a lot of courage and one day, you will be able to survive. They might be harder on you now, but I know you can do it.

 

-TK

 

I smiled bitterly when I saw the message that Taekwoon hyung had put in my hand. To me, it looked as if he did it without anyone knowing and of course, it was a dangerous job. However, I was also confused with his actions. 

 

Why was he doing this? 

 

That was the only question I asked myself at that very moment, wondering why he would risk his position in the syndicate to help someone like me. Taekwoon hyung could easily pass off as the right hand man in the syndicate. He was always seen with the actual leader, who always put his utmost faith in Taekwoon. He was also the one with superior skills and despite the fact that he was a quiet leader, he was still influential in his own way. 

 

Perhaps… There’s more than what meets the eye, isn’t it? 

 

With as much strength as I could muster, I stood up while supporting myself against the red brick wall. My clothes were in tatters and stained with my own blood. It was a pretty nauseating sight in my opinion, but I knew better than to experience the dangers of staying any longer in this deserted place. 

 

I staggered towards the exit of the alleyway and walked slowly, but surely, into an area with slightly more pedestrian traffic. People gave me a hideous stare, shocked to see my current physical state and some had even resorted to speaking to their friends with horror written all over their faces. 

 

None came forward to help me, and instead chose to walk further away from me, without lifting a finger. Knowing that no one would come to my aid, I continued to walk for as far as I can. Sadly, I did not have a single cent to afford a bus ticket or even a simple street meal of ddeokbokki to fill my growling stomach. 

 

Only the Almighty would know how far I had walked to reach one of the entrances of the famous Hangang Park. The luscious greenery awaited me at its gates and I decided to head towards that direction to find my peace of mind in a quieter and more tranquil area, as compared to the noise created by pedestrian and vehicular traffic in a bustling city. 

 

At this time, there weren’t many people in this area of the park and hence, I did not have to deal with the judgement and hostility of the public. With that, I took in a deep breath of the cool summer’s air, as well as the sounds of the birds chirping in the trees and the leaves rustling in the wind. For some reason, I had always managed to feel more energized when I was in picturesque places. It made me feel at ease and as if freedom was in my hands. 

 

I headed to the nearest bathroom to wash myself up, obviously shocked by the amount of dried blood that coagulated on the sides of my head. I looked at myself in the mirror, deep in thought, as I remembered the times when I used to be an innocent young boy. I was having the time of my life; getting good grades, making great friends and experiencing what it felt like to have an attraction to someone. 

 

I sighed at the thought of how the times had changed. I was no longer the boy I knew just a year ago; No longer the student of Dongguk High, no longer the quiet, yet witty, Jisoo. Now, I could well pass of as if I was involved with the mafia gangs of Seoul, getting involved in ion and the narcotic business. My eyes, in my opinion, had probably changed too. 

 

According to Yoojung, she had always mentioned that my eyes portrayed the value of kindness. Whenever they became little crescent moons when I smiled or when they bring the most encouragement to a friend. However, as I continued to look, I could only see a horrible person in the mirror; One who had chosen the wrong path without having an option to run from it. 

 

Tears began to well up in my eyes as these thoughts crossed my mind and I stepped out of the bathroom quick enough before a group of male students walked into the bathroom. They were wearing yellow blazers with blue slacks and were from the neighbouring school opposite my old one. 

 

I continued to remain deep in thought as I walked along the Hangang River, thinking about how Hyorin is doing, how Yoojung is doing and the rest of SEVENTEEN. Yoojung was the syndicate’s first target, which caused me to worry a little more. 

 

“Hopefully, she was in good hands on that very night.” I prayed to the Almighty, hoping that my prayers had been answered, or were at least bound to come true.

 

It wasn’t long before I started to feel groggy again. Perhaps it was the effects of the drug that they had given me so that I would not have to think about hunger and thirst, which could cause death. Hence, I picked a white wooden bench to sit on and watch the day go by. I saw couples going on their dates, families having picnics together…. All the things that I wished I could do. 

 

Sleep overtook me eventually, as I tried my best to shut out all the things that were going on around me. Unfortunately, I could not help but worry about Yoojung as I drifted off to sleep on the bench. 

 

“She would not be the last person that they’ll go after,” I thought, “But I hope that whatever it takes, I can make it the last one ever.” 

 


 

 Author's Note: 

Hello readers! :) I'm back again with a new chapter! :) Sorry if this chapter's really bad due to the fact that I experienced many forms of "Writer's Block" after taking such a long hiatus :( However, I hope you enjoy this chapter all the same as well as the build up of the story :) If there are any errors, please do not hesitate to drop me a message! :) If you liked this chapter, hit the "Subscribe" button for more updates and feel free to leave a comment down below! :) I suppose Chapter 7 will be up soon since I've already planned for it so do keep a look out for it! :)