Unknowing Danger (From Threats To Nightmares)

Class A-Team

 

 

 

[From Yoojung’s POV]

 

It had been a few days since I had seen the boys from the SEVENTEEN group. Since we had to skip out on our annual summer getaway, most of us had nothing to do apart from staying at home and catching up on the rest that we needed. 

 

There were few who were lucky to travel out of the country with their families for a few days, whom everyone was obviously envious of. However, whatever the case, we made it a point to chat everyday on Skype or via SNS to keep each other company, especially those who were taking their CSATs in November. They had plenty of things to do on their plate, with assignments and assessments piling up in front of them. 

 

With that, they ranted for most of the time while all we did was provide comfort and a listening ear. Surprisingly, none of us were really bothered by their constant whinings and complaints, as we made it a point to stick with them through thick and thin and perhaps offer a shoulder to lean on when they needed it. 

 

The CSATs in South Korea was a highly competitive examination that students aged 19-20 years old had to sit for. The students competed for placings in top universities, including Seoul National University and Dongguk University. Hence they buried their heads in the books for an average of 16 hours a day. 

 

Furthermore, it did not help that the members who were taking the CSATs this year came from affluent and well-renowned families. Therefore, the stress they dealt with was way more severe than the average; It wasn’t only a matter of the maintenance of their own reputation but their families and companies as well. Hence, it was understandable that they were so stressed. At times, they did lash out on the group but we didn’t blame them for their behaviours. 

 

As I sat in my apartment deep in thought with my pen in hand, my phone vibrated, snapping me out of my reverie. I picked it up and looked at the screen, with it revealing a private message from Lee Chan. I smiled and swiped the screen, unlocking the device to reply to his message. 

 

Dino Chan: Yoojunggieeeee~ 

 

You: Hey chan oppa! What’s up? 

 

Dino Chan: Do you want to meet up for a study session? I can't do Chemistry well ㅠㅠ ㅠㅠ 

 

You: Hahaha~ Okay, what time do you want to meet? 

 

Dino Chan: Hmm… How about we meet at 3pm at Angelinus Coffee House in the Apgujeong District? Have you eaten? 

 

You: No…. Don’t nag at me, old man. I was just going to find some food until you texted me. 

 

Dino Chan: I know you’re really good at lying. And I’m not an old man, thank you very much! If that’s the case, wanna grab some naengmyeon first? I know this really good place for naengmyeon! I’ll meet you at the station instead! 

 

You: Okay! See you. 

 

And with that, I was finally getting out of the house for a prolonged period of time. Hyorin had gone out with her friends to catch up since most of her clique had ended up in different schools. Hence, they could only meet each other physically during the holidays as the curriculum did not provide a generous amount of time for one to spend with his or her friends. 

 

At that, I texted Hyorin to notify her of my whereabouts and where she could get food if I was still not back. Her reply was the cue that she had acknowledged my message and I proceeded to wash up and change, before packing my Chemistry notes and worksheets into my haversack. 

 

Checking that my door was well locked, I left the estate to take the subway to Apgujeong Station. If you asked me, it was still pretty unbelievable that Lee Chan was an inheritor to one of the largest companies in South Korea. His father owned a huge company in the petrochemical industry, and it was the leader of most petrochemical companies. Hence, he came from an affluent family but contrary to popular belief, he was simple minded, humble and never desired any riches. Sometimes, it was easy to forget that he was, in fact, a “rich man’s son”. 

 

It took nearly 20 minutes to reach the station and there I saw Lee Chan, waving enthusiastically with a huge smile on his face. I waved back and we headed off immediately to the Naengmyeon restaurant, considering the fact that our stomachs made gurgling noises the moment we met. It was embarrassing, of course, but Lee Chan always had a knack in diffusing embarrassment with his laughter.

 

After a quick lunch, we headed to Angelinus Coffee House and took a seat in the corner of the café. This was our study spot since we were in Junior High and we came here so often that the baristas treated us as if we were friends. They greeted us with gusto, before heading off to prepare our drinks behind the counter. It was to the point they could memorize our orders and we did not have to say a word. 

 

We didn’t have to wait long before our drinks came. This time, Lee Chan ordered a Peppermint Mocha instead of his usual Double Chocolate Frappé, due to the fact that he claimed to be in the holiday mood. As for me, I decided to settle with my Green Tea Frappé, which always made sure to keep me alert when I revised my work. I was the type of person who preferred to study without much breaks so a Green Tea Frappé was definitely a boost to keep my alertness in check.

 

From then on, we began to study in relative silence, with the exception of Lee Chan’s endless questions regarding the subject as well as I having to revise certain topics and correcting his misconceptions. As I thought about it, there was always something that I liked about Lee Chan’s character during my mini tutoring sessions. Despite the fact that he might not be the brightest person you would know, he was extremely hardworking and will make sure he attains his desired grade. He faces setbacks, yes, but never gives up, especially for the subjects that he is weak at. 

 

Of course, we did take breaks in between our studying to rejuvenate our tired minds. Even though I was known as the “Chemistry Whiz”, that did not mean that I did the subject with high energy all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I love the subject, but rest was still important if I were to do well in it.

 

Hence, with that, Lee Chan and I spoke about anything under the sun and played random mobile games on our smartphones, competing with each other in multi-player games. Indeed, our study sessions always had a tinge of fun in them but when we needed to get serious, we did so and that was probably why Lee Chan was the best study buddy that I could ever ask for. 

 

****

 

[From Jisoo’s POV]

 

It was the exact same routine for the past few days. In the morning, I would find myself in a stranger’s bed with a new woman every single day. After I had said my morning greeting, she would hand me the cash which she needed to fork out for my services. Then, I would leave her house on a good note, walk around town before going back to the “safe house”. 

 

Unfortunately, I don’t get much of a rest in the “safe house” as it doesn’t take long for me to be called by the leader again, informing me of another appointment. And sadly, that is when the vicious cycle of ion repeats itself. It wasn’t only in terms of the physical aspect, but the emotional side as well.

 

Even though I had been in the line of job for the past one year, the feeling of disappointment and regret never failed to creep up on me. There were times when it crossed my mind and left the next moment but there were also times in which the thought alone made me so nauseous, to the point I could throw up whenever and wherever. 

 

However, I always came back to the thought that this was the only way in which Hyorin and I could survive. When I had first stepped in to meet the real leader of this entire syndicate, he threatened to find anyone who was related to me just so that I could watch them suffer if I did anything to upset him. I wanted to give up at some points but it burdened me to give in to the possibility that my friends will be in danger. If that happened, I would never be able to forgive myself, even if they had forgiven me. 

 

Hence, I carried on the job with a heavy heart, with the hopes of being set free by this syndicate. To ensure that nobody else was involved, I severed all contact with people who were close to me, including my own sister. God knows what this syndicate was capable of and I was not allowing them to have the chance to harm whoever they wish. 

 

As of now, I stared into the empty air above me, watching the day go by and waiting for the next appointment. It wasn’t long until I heard the door knock and in came a young man from the syndicate. He had relatively sharp features with high cheekbones and a prominent jawline. However, he did have an intimidating gaze. His eyes were small, but the stare they gave was cold and piercing, as if it shot literal daggers at anyone he stares at. 

 

His name was Jung Taekwoon and he was one of the first to have joined the syndicate. Nobody knows how he joined due to the fact that no one dared to ask. He was a man of few words and only spoke when he needed to. For most of the time, he would prefer to remain by the sidelines but his presence never went unnoticed, despite the fact that he was known as the “Ninja” of the group. 

 

He only looked at me before showing me a picture on his phone. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the device but once my vision had settled, my eyes widened immediately to the size of saucers. I sat up from the bed straight away, nearly grabbing the device to get a closer look. 

 

“That cannot be…” I thought, trying to shun all the doubt that arose in my mind, but I knew better than to ignore it, “It cannot be Yoojung, can it?” 

 

However, before I had the chance to say anything, Taekwoon only passed me a piece of paper that was messily folded, throwing it my way and leaving the room as soon as I had caught it. I wanted to stop him but he was gone in a matter of seconds, as if he had never been there at all. 

 

I opened the crumpled piece of paper with much hesitation and fear. It read: 

 

You know the girl in the picture, don’t you? The syndicate knows who she is. They know her name, her age, her background and her relations. The picture was taken at 1745 hours in the Apgujeong District at Angelinus Coffee House.

 

How do they know her? Honestly, that’s pretty simple.

 

How do you think your things even got here when you were knocked out unconscious?

 

Indeed, they did get access to your place and grabbed whatever you needed but from there, they had the chance to figure out who were your close friends and your family members. I was there to witness this when it all happened.

 

They took copies of your pictures and did a background check on all the people present. I know you severed all contact but it’s unfortunate that this syndicate knows more about you than you think you know about them.

 

Now, to the most important point. The syndicate leader never lets you off the hook, especially when you anger him. No matter how long it takes, your punishment awaits. Your initial attitude did cost you this and now, he’s sending 3 men after her as a punishment for your “misdeeds”. God knows what they’ll do and I’m sure you have a rough idea. She’s close to you and I have a feeling she’s more than your best friend so that’s what they are after first. The people closest to you will always be the syndicate’s first targets.

 

They love watching people suffer and most importantly? They enjoy watching the person who caused this have guilt consume him so that you will know your place and where you stand as compared to them. It does not end there but time is precious so I’m not going to tell you about it now.

 

If you want to save her, leave now. You’re in luck since your appointment’s in the district. It’s at 11pm but I told the right-hand man that your appointment’s at 7pm today to buy some time. I know why you are here and I have my reasons why I’ve decided to do this.

 

Good luck. Every second counts.

 

-TK

 

As soon as I read that cryptic message, I crumpled the piece of paper in my hand with as much strength as I could muster. The more I read the letter, the further my anger and frustration escalated. None of my friends were supposed to get involved, but just like Taekwoon hyung mentioned that the syndicate enjoys suffering, treating it as if it were a norm.

 

Without hesitation, I took a quick shower to calm my nerves and put on my newly pressed suit and polished dress shoes, looking as if I was heading out again to meet another stranger. 

 

As I did my tie, I began to think about the possibilities if Yoojung were to recognize me. If the attack does happen, she would definitely see me. Yoojung was known for her sharp observation skills hence if I protected her, she would probably find out the identity of her saviour. Hence, I opened the drawers and took the black surgical mask that I stored in there to use as a form of disguise later.

 

I folded the mask and stored it in the pocket of my blazer, together with the note that Taekwoon hyung had written. After checking that everything I needed was with me, I walked out of my room as calmly as I could, not wanting the people of the syndicate to deem my actions suspicious. Hence, even though the fear in me nearly caused me to sprint down the hallway, I managed to calm myself down by taking in deep breaths as I walked, greeting the senior members that walked past me. 

 

However, as soon as I stepped out of the “safe house”, I took off at the speed of light, running as fast as my legs could carry me to the subway station. 

 

Based on my senses, she would probably leave the café when the sun sets and the men would be waiting for her around the bend. I tried my best not to imagine the things that they would do but it was difficult, especially when Yoojung’s safety is bound to be compromised. I could not let her get hurt because this would be the sign to the syndicate that the people I knew were relatively weak and vulnerable. Therefore, if they succeeded, everyone in the SEVENTEEN group will be in danger. 

 

The journey to the Apgujeong district seemed to take an eternity but I remained in my own thoughts, planning my time as well as my strategy to protect her. The uncertainty filled my heart as I thought about it but I knew that I had to try my best to prevent her from getting hurt. If I didn’t try, the chance of success by the syndicate will be high without a doubt. 

 

Thinking of a relatively solid plan, I thought to myself, as if I could speak to Yoojung in my mind, “Yoojung-ah, whatever happens, I’ll be there to help and protect you. Remain calm and everything will be alright. All you have to do is trust me that I’ll be there.”

 


 

Author's Note: 

Hello readers! :D I'm back again with a new chapter! ^^ Unfortunately, I'll be quite busy again in the later half of the week so my updates might be a little less frequent :( However, I'll try my best still :) I would like to thank you guys for your support and patience in the updates of this story :) Your support really does mean a lot to me :> I hope you enjoy this chapter! ^^ If you did, just click the "Subscribe" button for more updates and feel free to leave a comment in the comment box below! ^^