4

I Choose to Love You

 The play (preparations)

(inspired by Apink's Love like a Fairytale)

(ctto)


"Omma, can you help me pick a dress for the play?" Lu Han asks Baekhyun while the latter is cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. The young boy, with his head low, waits for the older one to accept his request. Truthfully, Lu Han is nervous about the play. No one told him that there will be a huge crowd to watch them, until he saw Chen holding out flyers to strangers after their class. "More people, more fun," says the boy.  Outsiders and students from other schools are invited to see the play. The thought scares Lu Han to the bones even after they have practiced for three weeks straight.

Baekhyun dries his hands and turns to Lu Han. He smiles and pats the young boy's head. "Of course I will help you, Lulu dear. We'll pick a beautiful dress that suits you.""

"Lulu...doesn't feel right wearing a dress. I never wore a dress before because I am a boy, and boys don't wear dresses and skirts."  Lu Han lifts his head and faces Baekhyun. His sparkly eyes instantly double their size as he speaks. "But for the sake of the school play, I will do it! Afterall, Kyungsoo will have to wear a long gown, too, so I won't be alone. He will be the wicked queen."

"Oh don't worry, darling. You'll do just fine, You boys should put out a good show by doing your best in acting. Make your parents and teachers proud, okay?"

Lu Han nods obediently.

"Great! Now, let's go to the mall and buy you a dress. I'll just pick up my wallet in the bedroom. You can wait for me in the car."

"Omma, can we bring along Nini? I want to know how he likes the dress I am going to wear."

Baekhyun can't help but smile at how Lu Han's chubby cheeks blush at the mention of Jongin's name. He knows that the younger one wants to impress the other and so he quickly agrees.

"Why not? Call Jongin so the three of us can go."

Lu Han is clapping his little hands in delight, "Yes! Thank you, Omma! You're the best!"

Jongin did join Lu Han and Baekhyun at the mall. The three of them went from one shop to another, picking out the best for their little Snow White. 

"That dress looks very short on him. The color isn't so pleasant, too.  I think a dress with soft colors suits my baby," Baekhyun remarks, returning the dress the shop owner suggested for Lu Han to wear. "Ah! What about that? The yellow one with puffy sleeves and baby blue collar?"

Lu Han looks back at Jongin, asking for his approval. The older one smiles, "That's nice."

"Really?" Lu Han is unsure. "You should choose a dress for me, Nini. There are plenty but what do you like the most? Can you tell me please?"

While Baekhyun excitedly roams around the shop, Lu Han drags Jongin  with him and encourages the older one to look.

"What about that? The pink one?"

The sales person hands them the pink, lacy dress. Lu Han inspects it thoroughly before he smiles. "Do you think this will look pretty on me, Nini?"

"Beautiful," the latter assures.

Baekhyun appears in sight, carrying a long, lavender dress with flower details. 

"Omma, can we buy this one?" Lu Han lifts the pink dress before Baekhyun can present his. "Nini picked this for me and I love it. Ah, but you chose that dress for me, too. What to do?"

"We'll take the pink one," says Baekhyun to the sales person. He hands back the lavender dress and turns to Lu Han. "We're getting the one you and Jongin like."

Lu Han smiles widely and hugs Baekhyun in gratitude, "I thought you'll get mad at me, Omma."

Baekhyun rubs circles on his pumpkin's back, "You're so silly. Omma will never get mad at you for choosing what you like." He then throws a grin at Jongin who returns it with a sheepish smile.

-

Rehearsal for the play || Two o'clock in the afternoon || School hall

"Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Who is the fairest of them all?"

 

"LU HAN!" The boys chorus.

Kyungsoo slowly turns his head to their direction, eyes wide in what seems to be a warning. They quickly shut their mouths and continue their work. Some boys are helping out by putting decorations for the play. Others are responsible in assisting the actors on stage; one of them being Jongin who stays close with his Snow White Teacher Lee, who supposed to be guiding them, is nowhere to be found at the moment, leaving the boys teasing each other instead of practicing.

"You were the fairest, my queen, until someone took the crown from you," says the boy who is acting as the magical mirror. "Snow White is the fairest among women in this kingdom."

"AHHHH! SNOW WHITE!!!!!!!!!" Kyungsoo dramatically screams in anger and envy. "It can't be! I should be the most beautiful in the entire kingdom. That Snow White should perish! That Snow White should die! Die die die! I hate her! Ugh!"

"That was unncessary!" A boy named Minseok comments. He was the one whom Teacher Lee assigned to write the script. "Stop adding stuff, Kyungsoo."

"Shut up! I just want it to be convincing."

"You sounded immature! You're supposed to be an intimidating queen."

"Tsss," Kyungsoo gives him a cold shoulder and walks out from the stage. It's Lu Han's turn to act out his scene. "Fighting, Lu," whispers Jongin.

 

"Hm hm hm...~" Lu Han starts humming a joyous song while skipping around. The setting tells that he's in a forest, admiring flowers and different animals along his way. A boy wearing a rabbit costume hops towards him and Lu Han pats his head kindly. Unknown from the rest, the boy is blushing so hard inside the big bunny head. Who wouldn't? Lu Han looks so pure and lovely up close. Birds are singing everywhere along with Lu Han. A deer approaches him and he can't help but smile. His Nini once called him bambi because he looks like a deer.

After his scene, Lu Han joins Jongin behind the curtain. "What do you think, Nini?"

"You acted so well, Lu."

Pleased, Lu Han secretly steals a kiss from him. 

 

The next scene is with Kyungsoo talking to the man he hired to kill Snow White.

"Chen."

"Don't call me that! I don't have a name in the play!" Chen almost screams at Kyungsoo for deliberately messing with him. Minseok facepalms himself. "Why are they so...immature?!"

"Erm. Fine." Kyungsoo straightens up and points at Chen. "I order you to kill Snow White! If you can't do it, I will have to take away your own child!"

Chen falls on his knees and begs, "Please, my queen. Don't harm my child. I will follow your order to kill Snow White."

Kyungsoo laughs wickedly while Chen can't help but cringe deep inside. After a few more scenes involving other characters, it's finally the time for Prince Yifan to be on stage. Dead, Snow White lies on a flowery casket with the seven dwarves surrounding her. The prince remembers her as the one who owns a lovely voice; his first love. 

Yifan approaches Lu Han and kneels beside her. Jongin is now getting uncomfortable. He had watch this scene again and again but he still has the same feeling of discomfort whenever Yifan gets close to Lu Han.

"So beautiful."

"STOP!!!! You sound bored, Yifan," Minseok shouts.

"Geez," Yifan rubs his nape and repeats his line. "So beautiful." He tries his best to look at Lu Han with a sad, longing expression. 

"STOP!!!!!" Minseok screams once again. "We've done this a couple of times already. Touch his cheeks gently and look at him with a sad face!"

One dwarf snickers and Yifan instantly glares at him before he looks back at Lu Han. The latter secretly opens his left eye to see what's taking Yifan so long to speak his next line. 

"Hey. Close your eyes," says Yifan. Lu Han jerks and quickly shuts his eyes. Yifans smirks and touches his cheek. "I longed to see you again. I was hoping to tell you how I have fallen in love with you. But you left me...."

Minseok is satisfied with his acting so far until Yifan leans forward to kiss Lu Han. Yifan's body is so stiff, it's evident he looks very nervous. Jongin is subconsciously moving out from the backstage.

"Ahhh so stiff," Minseok murmurs while shaking his head. He lets Yifan adjust on his own and waits for him to get back into character.

"I will kiss you now," the prince whispers to Lu Han. Snow White is suddenly waking up. 

"Lu Han!" Minseok calls his attention. "Lie down."

"Okay," Lu Han obliges.

"Now, act like you're going to kiss him, Yifan."

"Uhm..."

"What's wrong?!" Minseok is starting to lose his patience again.

"I feel like someone is PLOTTING TO KILL ME." Yifans looks around, trying to find the where the bad feeling is coming from. 

"You're being weird again, Yifan," comments Chen behind the stage. He shakes his head, unaware that Jongin's ears are blowing imaginary smoke beside him.

Somehow, the scene ended up well. Yifan faked the kiss, carried Lu Han like a princess and they lived happily ever after.

 

The night before the play|| Jongin and Lu Han's room

Lu Han and Jongin are facing each other as they lie on the bed. "Nini, I'm scared. What if I forget my lines tomorrow?" Lu Han pouts sadly. Jongin pulls him closer. "That's not going to happen."

"Really? What makes you think that?"

"I trust you, Lu. You worked hard for this. We will be there to support you as what Omma said."

"Hmm..." Lu Han nods. Jongin lets him nuzzle on his chest while he the younger one's hair. 

"Nini"

"Yes, Lu?"

 

 

"You were glaring at Yifan during the rehearsal."

 

Jongin chokes on his saliva, "You saw me?"

 

Lu Han nods.

 

"Oh."

 

"....."

"...."

 

"I envy Yifan. I wish I was the one playing as your prince."

 

Lu Han looks up at Jongin, drowning the latter in the sparkles of his eyes. He giggles, "What are you talking about? You are my real prince, Nini."

 

Jongin laughs, "Aren't I a lucky prince?"

 

Lu Han grins proudly, "Oh yes you are!" 

 

The two end up tickling each other, unaware that Baekhyun and Chanyeol are eavesdropping behind the door. 

(Baekhyun sobs dramatically against Chanyeol's chest, "They are growing up so fast!)

-

A/n: The REAL play will be on the next chapter. ^_~