Chapter 1

One Night...And Forever

Seo Eun-ha walked into her apartment exhausted and cold. She had a busy day at the publishing house and she was looking forward to taking a hot bath, skipping dinner and going straight to bed. She tossed her coat and bag on the sofa and headed for the bathroom, when she saw her answering machine blinking with a message. She contemplated for a minute whether to listen to the message first or take her bath first before she decided on taking her bath first. After her bath, she worked a towel through her hair and sat on the sofa to listen to her message. It was from her boyfriend.

"Eun-haya, it's me Joon oppa." She heard him take a deep breath before continuing. "I think we should break up. I've been thinking, and I've decided that you're not the girl for me. Honestly, I felt a little pressured since you seemed to like me a lot and I didn't want to hurt you by rejecting you, but now I feel like I need to tell you. I hope you can find someone who can love you the way you deserve but that person isn't me. I didn't want to be a bad person and break up with you over a text message that's why I called. Take care." Eun-ha felt her anger rise with every statement he made and she grabbed the phone and angrily punched in his number. He answered after the third ring.

"Ya! I'm not the girl for you? I'm not the girl for you? It's been 6 years since we've been dating you bastard and you didn't know that until now? Mwo, you felt pressured? When did I ever pressure you? You promised me everything but what is this? You didn't want to be a bad person? You're already a bad person you nappeun gae jashikah! Don't give me bull, you have another girl, right?" She paused to take a breath and keep her tears from falling. 

"Seo Eun-ha, calm yourself down." He yelled.

"How could you do this to me? After 6 years, how could you? Why did you make me waste all this time with you if this relationship wasn't going anywhere? How could you?" She asked, her tears falling against her will.

"It just happened like that." 

"Who is the girl?" 

"There is no girl."

"Bull. Tell me who she is."

He sighed again before answering. "She's the daughter of our hospital director. Eun-haya, her father is going to build me a hospital, you know that has always been my dream."

"So what, you're going to marry this girl you just met because her father is going to build you a hospital?" She asked incredulously.

"We...didn't just meet, it's been about a year." He replied and Eun-ha felt her mind go blank. She was glad she wasn't having this conversation face-to-face with him or she might have attacked him and choked him to death. 

"A...year?" She asked. 

"Ah, that's why we should have made it a clean break. Why did you have to call me? It's getting late I'm going to hang up." he said and hung up. 

Eun-ha sat on the sofa in her living room, hair dripping wet and tears falling from her eyes. She listened to the sound of the cars go by and the voices of the people running around and doing their last-minute christmas shopping and she suddenly got up and went into her room. She got changed, put on some make-up, grabbed her coat and went out the door. She hailed a taxi and told the driver to take her to a bar.

 

Park Jong-hyun sat at the bar and swirled his drink around. As he gazed into the dark liquid, he thought of the voice of the director telling him he didn't make the cut for the role. He sighed and downed his drink. He had come up to Seoul from the countryside ten years before to pursue his acting career, and except from some bit parts in some bad movies and a few roles as an extra in dramas, he hadn't been able to land any solid role. His cellphone rang and he looked at the id, it was his best friend and housemate, Joon-seo. He answered it just as a woman slid into the stool next to him and beckon the bartender. "Eo Joon-seoya."

"How did it go, did you get the part?"

"Ani, the director said my face looked to noble to be poor." He laughed humorlessly. "Does that make sense? I don't even have to act right now, can't he tell how poor I am?"

"Are you okay? Where are you? Do you want me to come and get you?" His friend asked worriedly.

"Ani ani, it's fine.I'm just having a few drinks, I'll see you later at home."

"Arasso. Ya, my mom's call is coming in, I'll talk to you later." Joon-seo replied and hung up.

He saw the bartender place a drink in front of the woman next to him and before he could order another drink, the woman grabbed her glass and downed the drink in one shot. She placed the glass in front of her and asked for another. She turned her head and caught him staring at her. She raised an eyebrow at him and said, "What, have you never seen a pretty girl drink before?" He asked the bartender for another drink before replying her.

"I'm just shocked at how fast you finished that drink, it seems you were trying to forget by getting drunk." The bartender came back with both their drinks and placed it in front of them. The woman grabbed her glass and downed the second drink again and he watched her in amazement.

 

Eun-ha crinkled up her nose, since she was such a lightweight, she was already feeling tipsy. She beckoned the bartender and asked for a third drink. She noticed the man next to her staring at her with a mixture of amusement and fascination. "Can I help you?" She asked.

"I'm sorry for staring, it's just that this is my first time meeting a woman that can drink so well." He replied.

She looked at this handsome stranger up and down and scoffed, "I'm usually a good drinker you know." She grabbed her glass again and downed the drink.

 

Jong-hyun noticed that she had begun to sway a little in place and he smiled. She asked the bartender for another drink but he refused telling her that since she seemed drunk he couldn't sell her anymore alcohol. She sighed and slammed her card down on the bar top and walked out the door. Jong-hyun paid for his drink, collected her card from the bartender and ran out the door after her. He saw her trying to hail a taxi.

"Excuse me." He called out to her.

"Ommaya. Why are you following me? Perhaps, are you interested in me?" She asked.

"No, it's nothing like that. You left your card in there. Here." He said and gave it to her.

"Oh, kamsahabnida." She smiled at him and he smiled back. A taxi stopped in front of her and she got in. She watched him turn around and start to leave and then she called out to him. "Excuse me, if you're going in this direction, you are welcome to share the cab with me."

"I'll just wait for another one." He said.

"It's pretty late and cabs are hard to come by at this time. Do you plan on standing out in the cold while waiting for one?" She asked.  

He contemplated it for a while before deciding to get in. "Thank you. It really is cold tonight."

"You're welcome." She replied. "I'm sorry for being so rude earlier." She said after a few moments of silence.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry for being rude. I shouldn't have said anything about your drinking." He answered.

"You were right though, I was trying to get drunk to forget. How did you know?"

"Because I was also doing the same thing." 

Eun-ha looked out the window and saw a couple walk by hand-in-hand. She felt the sadness piercing through her slightly drunk haze and decided to shake it off. "Since we were both trying to get drunk to forget and we failed so spectacularly, do you want to go somewhere else and try again?" She said suddenly.

Jong-hyun was taken aback at her straightforwardness. "With you?" He asked. 

"Of course." She replied with a smile. 

He didn't know whether it was the air or her smile or the fact that he was feeling a bit buzzed from the alcohol but it suddenly sounded like a good idea. "Why not?" He replied.

She told the driver to stop beside a pojangmacha and they paid him before sending him on his way. They sat next to each other at a table and began to drink and before they knew it, they had drunk six bottles between them and they were completely drunk.

"I mean can you believe it? He said I looked to noble to be poor. Does that make sense? What part of my face resembles nobility?" Jong-hyun slurred.

"Frankly, I agree with him. I think it's the nose." She said as she traced it with her finger. "It gives you a very regal air, don't you know? I think you should be a chaebol, you'd look so handsome in a suit."

 

"I don't know anymore. I've been doing the same song and dance for ten years. This year alone I've attended more than fifty auditions. Keunde, what were you trying to forget?"

Eun-ha sighed. "My boyfriend dumped me."

"Mwoya? Who'd dump such a beautiful girl like you?" 

"You think I'm beautiful, where?"

"Everything is beautiful. Your eyes, your nose even your lips." He said and touched each one. 

She sighed again. "That bad bastard, he cheated on me with the daughter of his hospital's director. I gave him six years of my life for nothing." She said and buried her head in his chest.

"You deserve better." He said and patted her head. He didn't know why he suddenly felt the urge to protect this girl he had never met before. He felt her shoulder move up and down and he pulled back to see her face stained with tears. "Don't cry, that kind of person isn't worth it." He said and wiped her tears gently. 

She looked into his eyes as he held her face in his hands and smiled. "Thank you, for saying that. Even though you don't know me, thank you for wiping my tears and listening to me." 

He was weakening. "There will be other men." He said.

She placed her hand on his chest where his heart was, "There will be other roles, something good is bound to happen to you soon." She felt his heart beat rapidly against her palm.

"I want to kiss you right now. Does that make me crazy?" He asked.

She hurriedly moved her hand and felt her face become hot. "I think it's time we left." She hurridly got off the stool and accidentally knocked it over in the process. She picked it up and turned away from him. She felt flustered, this stranger whose name she didn't know was making her flustered. "It's must be the alcohol." She said to herself. She waited while he paid the bill and then they walked in silence to the roadside to try to hail a cab. It was already very late and the cabs were just not coming. The cold night air was breaking the haze of the alcohol little by little.

"Park Jong-hyun." He said suddenly.

"Neh?" She asked.

"My name is Park Jong-hyun." He replied.

"Ah." She said.

"Aren't you going to tell me your name?" He asked.

"Eun-ha. Seo Eun-ha."

"Seo Eun-hassi. I really meant what I said back there." He said again.

She blushed again. "Oh, uh, Park Jong-hyunssi, I'm not the type of person to kiss someone I just met." 

"Neither am I. I'm not trying to put moves on you I swear, it's just what I felt in the moment. Something happened between us back there. Or was it just me?" 

Eun-ha looked at him, she wasn't the type to lie to herself. She had to admit that she did feel something when he held her. "No, I felt it too." 

They stood together in silence trying to contemplate the feelings that were awakened in them. A taxi pulled up in front of them and the driver honked to get their attention. They got in and gave the driver their addresses. The driver would need to drop Eun-ha off first since her house was the first stop. When the driver pulled up in front of Eun-ha's apartment building, Jong-hyun told him to wait a little while he walked her to her door. The driver told him to be down in five minutes or he would leave him right there. Jong-hyun accompanied her to the door and bade her goodnight. She entered her apartment and closed the door behind her resting her forehead against it for a moment. Suddenly, she pulled it open and went after him. He was just about to get into the elevator. 

"I just got my heartbroken." She said.

"I know." he replied.

"I don't want a relationship with you." She said.

"I know." He replied. 

"Just tonight?" She asked.

"If that's what you want." He replied.

"Just one night. I don't know if it's the alcohol or if it's the fact that I find myself so drawn to you but whatever this thing is between us, I want to explore it." She smiled.

He stepped closer to her. "Is it okay if I kiss you now?" He asked and she nodded. So he kissed her like he didn't want to let her go and she kissed him back just as pasionately. When they finally pulled apart, he looked into her eyes and a wave of sadness washed over him. He would never see this girl again after tonight, it would be just one night and then she would disappear from his life. He wished he knew her before now, he wished he had met her first and loved her first. This girl who was so beautiful his heart hurt just to think she had gotten her heartbroken earlier tonight. He touched her face gently, he really wished he had met her earlier.

Eun-ha took his hand and led him into her apartment. "You have to go before I wake up." She said.

"I know." He replied.

"You can't stay and have breakfast." She said again.

"I know." He replied again. 

"Do you have protection?" She asked,

"No." He replied.

She furrowed her brow trying to remember when her last period was. "Do you have an STD?" She asked.

He chuckled, "Thankfully I don't."

She still couldn't remember when her last period was so she shrugged, "I'll take my chances." She said and rose to the tip of her toes and kissed Jong-hyun. He lifted her into his arms and kissed her back and downstairs, the cab driver who was tired of waiting drove away.