1/1

Time Boils the Rain

Yifan wakes up to his cheek pressed against the rough concrete, his head pounding to a dull rhythm. With a scrunch of his nose and a soft wince, he pushes himself to sit on the asphalt, presently aware of how his bones ache with every movement. He lets out a sigh and closes his eyes, taking in a deep breath to calm his racing heart.

When he opens his eyes again, the warm rays of the setting sun blinds him momentarily and he squints, rubbing a scratched palm over his rugged face. It takes him a while to accept the fact that it has happened again.

The streets, that he was so familiar with, are empty as the last of the adrenaline lends him a hand to get on his feet. With a soft grimace, Yifan shuffles into the shabby train station behind him.

Papers and rubbish litters the tiled floor and the railings are rusting, its paint peeling with a metallic scent hanging in the air. He barely makes it to the bench, his eyes already closed before he flops on the seat, the wood creaking under his weight as a wave of fatigue wash over him.

“Hello, young man.” Yifan flinch and his eyes flew open to see a woman on at the next bench, hunched over a badly worn book, the pages torn and seems to be fading from where he sits. Her hair a pepper grey as she dons on a maroon cardigan, wrinkles deeply engrave by her swollen eyes. Yifan’s eyes lingers as he stares, there’s something captivating about her gaze.

“W-what?” His voice’s raw, coming out as a croak instead and Yifan coughs.

“You waiting for the train?” She asks as she smiles to herself and Yifan frowns, having no heart to tell her that the train services have already stopped.

Seeing no reply given, her smile widen to reveal holes where teeth used to be. Her frail fingers drags across the yellowing pages of the book.

“I’m waiting for someone, you know, young man?”

“Oh, really? Who?”

“He’s someone really special,” She says. “I’m waiting for him.”

Yifan nods meaningfully and he wonders if she could see that.

“He used to make me blush all the time, and my heart beating fast too. Still does now.” The elder continues with a giggle. “Spoilt me so much. This book from him too, you know? Sadly, I can’t read but he promised to teach me how to.”

Yifan eyes the woman. He had time after all.

“How about I’ll read to you?”

Her face brightens up within seconds and he can’t help but to smile too. Moving over, Yifan sits next to her and carefully reach over to take the book from her, only to flip to the first page to see his own scribble of a handwriting on it.

“M-madm,” He starts, eyes watering. “You said that this book was from the man you are waiting right?”

“Well, of course, young man!” She chirp. “I know my eyesight isn’t good but are you deaf?”

Yifan stares at the page, his lips trembling as he reads the words over and over again.

“H-how did he looked like?”

She hums, deep in thought before replying, “The last time I saw him, we were in early youth, young and free. He was very tall, always laughing at me for being short but young man, I tell you I am of average height! He was just too tall! He has giant hands, always engulfing my small ones, even though I might complain a lot but may I secretly tell you that I really like it when he does that. He also has the most beautiful and loving eyes that I came to love so much, and his smile. Mind my exaggeration, young man, but his smile could save the world from salvation.”

Yifan purses his lips, watching tears roll down her cheeks as the smile on her face could possibly widen even more. His chest feels tight when he move to hold her hand in his large ones and silence pursue.

“Yifan?”

 


 

A/N: I really liked the prompt given this time, and this could be considered my "comeback" fic after such a long hiatus. I hoped you guys liked this and do leave a comment below because I would love to read what you thought of this. If you have prompts for me to write, either send them in via my tumblr or PM me, I would definitely try my best. Lastly, if you would, go to my Tumblr and chat with me! My holidays are here and I would always want some new friends :) Stay cool, everyone

TUMBLR