Unexpected () part 1: This Feeling

Stories (One-Shots)

A MinKhun two-shot by KieYv

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

‘Once again! That’s 2910! Listeners and SHINee fans! This is your chance to watch your idols perform live and meet them in the flesh! Be our 100th caller and answer the trivia question correctly and it’s yours!’

The radio was in a frenzy. It’s been going like that for at least half an hour. Wooyoung and Junho were crowding over their cellphones and texting like mad. Koreans… are… what’s the word? Crazy, is it?

Wooyoung and Junho are SHINee fans. SHINee is this group everybody— excluding me, Jaebeom hyung, Taecyeon, SHINee anti-fans and jealous guys— are going haywire for.

I haven’t been here long. I came here with high hopes of becoming famous and to show the world that Thailand is more than just temples, food and teenage ion. So far, I haven’t had any luck in being scouted.

‘Listeners! We have a 100th texter! Jang Wooyoung of Seoul!’

Wooyoung and Junho leapt for joy and started screaming like girls. I sat on the floor watching them in great pity and embarrassment. They say you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your relatives. Then why did I choose these two crazy people. I have no I idea.

“They’re calling! AH! We’re going to see SHINee, Junho! We get to see SHINee!!!” Wooyoung yelled.

“I know! AH! Wooyoung! We’re going to win!” Junho followed.

Jaeboem hyung and Taecyeon sat with me. As much as we wanted to celebrate with Wooyoung and Junho, we didn’t have room in our prides and hearts to do so.

‘Hello, Wooyoung sshi?’ the DJ said. ‘Congratulations! You’re our 100th caller! All you have to do now is answer our trivia question correctly then you and two of your friends win tickets to SHINee’s concert and even get to meet SHINee! Are you ready for the question?!’

“YES!!!” Wooyoung yelled into his phone as Junho crowded over his shoulder.

‘Alright then! What was the title of the OST by SHINee on the hit TV drama, Boys Over Flowers?’ the DJ said.

“STAND BY ME!!! STAND BY ME!!!” Wooyoung yelled and screamed.

‘Correct, Jang Wooyoung of Seoul! You win the tick--’

Wooyoung and Junho were screaming so loud that the radio was inaudible. Jaebeom hyung and Taecyeon all stared at the two crazed fans in amusement. I could see it in their faces that they were finding this hilarious. I, on the other hand, couldn’t be more confused. I thought only girls could get this excited over some group having some concert.

‘Pick up your tickets at the station at least 3 days before the concert, alright? Bring a valid ID in order to claim the tickets. Congratulations!’

Jaebeom hyung turned the radio off, clapped slowly and rhythmically while laughing like he was about die doing so. Taecyeon did the same only he was punching my arm and shaking his legs in the air.

I don’t get it. I just don’t get it. This isn’t funny. This is pathetic.

“Oppa neomu yeppo~” Jaebeom hyung sang. He started dancing and exaggerating the steps, even mimicking the voices. Wooyoung and Junho charged him. “Yah! Yah, Khunnie ah! Help!” Jaebeom hyung called for me.

Then Chansung sunbae stormed in the room. “What’s going on here? Why are you screaming?” He asked.

“Sunbae, we won!” Wooyoung jumped up and down.

“Oh really now? I don’t care. The show is in two weeks! Let’s do this well and let’s do this now! Ok Taecyeon! I’ll cut your legs off if you keep shaking them like that! Nichkhun Horvejkul! Get in position before I deport your back to Thailand!” Chansung sunbae shouted.

Everyone got in to position. Sunbae pressed play on his remote…

“And! One and two SWITCH and STOP! One and two SWITCH now STOP… Jaebeom pop a little more!”

Here we go…

~*~*~
“That’s it for today, children. Practice hard! The show is next week. I’ll see you at 9am, tomorrow.” With that said, Chansung sunbae left the room as we all bid him our thanks.

“Okay so… where to eat? I’m starving.” Jaebeom hyung said.

“There’s place outside the school. Awesome bibimbap, dude.” Taecyeon grinned.

“BIBIMBAP! HERE WE COME!!” Wooyoung yelled in excitement.

One of the things I love about Korea: FOOD.

We were sitting on the bar stools right in front of the kitchen as we ate. The air was getting cold as the sun was about to set but the food was still steaming hot. It was perfect. A long day’s work is worth a decent, delicious meal. Then the radio played a SHINee song…

‘Mannatda banhaetda Keunyeo-ege banhaetda Cheoeum boneun Y’

Junho and Wooyoung started jumping in their seats and singing with their mouth full. They waved their index fingers in front of them as well. I didn’t understand but I was sure it was a SHINee thing. The entire restaurant suddenly came to life. Girls bopped their heads to the beat and compared cellphones all of a sudden.

“Aish. Haven’t we heard enough of this crap?! Ajumma! Can you switch the station, please?” I complained.

‘Keunyeol boda naega michyeo (AMIGO!) Iri sone an jabhyeo (AMIGO!) Yonggi nae naneun PITCH UP! Eoddeokhae eoddeokhae’

“If I turn this off, I’ll go out of business. And I like this song. It’s very catchy. AMIGO!” The ajumma declined. Great… the world has been taken over by this boyband.

“Mm! Guyshh! Wuh huvv hwun murr chheekit too duh--” Junho muttered with a full mouth.

“Chew… now swallow… then talk.” Taecyeon guided the – now – choking Junho.

“The concert. Which one of you guys wanna come with us?” Junho continued.

“Uhhhh… I don’t know. I’m not gay like you guys and I don’t wanna be surrounded by psycho chicks so… yeah. I’ll pass.” Jaebeom said then filled his mouth with meat.

“Yeah, me too. I have more important stuff to do than scream over five guys in bowl haircuts.” Taecyeon declined.

“Nichkhun hyung?” The two pleaded me with their eyes.

“Khun, don’t. You’ll die.” Jaebeom hyung butted.

With Jaebeom hyung’s statement in mind, I weighed the pros and cons.

Pros: I get to go to a concert for free. I get to go to an actual Korean stadium. There could be scouts there. I get to meet a K-pop idol group thus I get a great conversation piece. It will be a learning experience. I might meet a cute girl.

Cons: I’ll die. I’ll lose my pride. I’ll be stuck with these two daft aficionados. I’ll get run over by crazed fans.

Six pros and four cons.

“Alright, I’ll go.” I declared. “But this does not make me less of a man.”

Junho and Wooyoung did a high five then thanked me. They even shook my hand to close the ‘deal’.

“Neekhoo! Err yoo inshane?!?” Taecyeon burbled.

“Yerr gooin too dhay!” Jaebeom hyung followed.

“It’s free anyway!” I defended.

“Yahh buh itsh ghaay.” Taecyeon pressed. “Very gay.”

“I don’t care. Besides… I might meet a cute girl. I’ll be surrounded by girls. I might even get to ‘accidentally’ touch them.” I grinned.

Jaebeom hyung and Taecyeon’s faces turned pale with their eyes wide open.

“WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF THAT?!” Taecyeon exclaimed.

Jaebeom hyung smacked Taecyeon on the back of the head with his fist. Taecyeon nursed his nape while Jaebeom continued to sulk in his seat.

“I hate you guys…” Jaebeom hyung murmured.

~*~*~
I was in Junsu hyung’s car, Wooyoung’s stepbrother and supposedly our manager. We were driving to the concert’s venue. The roads were all clear. Of course, they were. It was 6 in the morning. I was supposed to catch on some sleep when a SHINee song comes on the radio. The two aficionados sing along. I almost forgot they were in the car.

“Turn that off please, Junsu.” I gurgled.

Junsu did as I told him but after three seconds of peace the radio came back on again. I muttered a curse in my head and wished I had never agreed to go to this stupid concert.

“Sorry, Nichkhun. I’m just as pissed off as you are but I can’t do anything about it.” Junsu said.

Wooyoung and Junho wanted to come in early to avoid the line. It paid off… for arriving at 7am. We had practice until 11pm. I’ve only had four hours of sleep because I was being phoned non-stop by either Wooyoung or Junho on what to wear to the concert and what to say to SHINee when we meet them. These two were probably just as sleep depreived as I am but they were all too psyched to realize that.

The car stopped in front of the venue. As Junsu hyung reminded us of where and when he was going to pick us up after the concert, I went to study my surroundings. It was cold and the asphalt was still wet from dew. A thin amount of people were crowding at the gates. The car drove off and the two knuckleheads/psychos pulled me to the entrance which was blocked by yellow metal barricades. I took out my ticket to remind myself of what time the concert will begin. ‘4:00pm’ Great. And the gates won’t open until 10am. This is just amazing.

Three hours later, my journey began… with a step into the coliseum.

Fans started to set up tables, flowers, banners, tarpaulins and placards. The idols’ faces were on miscellaneous memorabilia items: fans, tumblers, t-shirts, towels. You name it, they’ve got it. For a moment I thought I was in a market back in Thailand. All sorts of noises filled the air. Different languages were spoken. Yelling, screaming, cheering. And this wasn’t where the stage was. It was right across the floor with the gigantic doors guarded by at least five men with IDs that said ‘STAFF’.

A great majority of the population here are girls. Most of them unattractive, crazy and just downright weird. These girls are otherwise known as ‘fangirls’. (So much for meeting a girl.) They gathered around the memorabilia tables like it was Thanksgiving Dinner. Wooyoung and Junho joined them while I stayed at a far corner with a pen and a notebook, writing down what I’ve observed so far. I just had to. This was a learning experience after all.

“Khun hyung. What’s up with the diary?” Wooyoung asked as he sipped on a tumbler with a group photo of SHINee emblazoned around it.

“It’s not a diary. It’s a--” I was cut short when Junho grabbed it from me.

“HEY! We could have SHINee sign on this! Thanks, Nichkhun hyung!” Junho exclaimed.

I grabbed the notebook back. “It’s not for you. It’s for me. I’m writing down my observations.” I said.

“You’re weird, hyung.” Wooyoung continued to sip on the tumbler’s plastic bendy straw.

There was an announcement on the PA system that we had to line up. So we did. It was divided among ‘seat classes’. I was pretty sure we’d be standing. Chairs would be useless but could serve as a weapon to throw at the performers. I’d love to have a chair to throw. We lined up at the shortest line: at the orchestra. A few privileged people could get this close. We were ‘lucky’. The attendant smiled at us and congratulated us for winning the tickets then we went in. It took a two-minute walk to get to our places. There was a lot of pushing and whispers of ‘excuse me’.

As promised by the radio station, we had a front row ‘seats’. We were standing but we were probably around a meter away from the stage itself. A white, opaque curtain served as the stage’s cloak. Lights blared above us as a final lighting test was being done. Sound checks followed. The place was slowly crowding with people with light sticks and placards that professed their love for this group.

It was only half an hour left before the concert. Wooyoung and Junho were starting to get too excited. The girls around me were even worse. We received a few death glares that seemed to say ‘What the hell are these guys doing here?’ As I would have guessed, I really wasn’t going to meet anyone today. These girls are probably drowning in the hope of someday marrying one of their idols. (Never gonna happen, by the way. Even I won’t date you. What more if it was marriage.)

I drowned myself in observations. Hey. Maybe someday it will come in handy. Maybe someday I’ll get to be on stage and perform in front of an audience five times greater than this. The mere thought of it is overwhelming. I know it will happen for me. I know it will. It has to. That’s why I’m here. I want to perform and entertain because that’s what I was born to do. And which is exactly why I’m supposed to be up there on that stage and not down here with sweaty, loud, crazy people.

The lights dimmed. The crowd started to chant and scream. The enormous screens came to life and showed a short video ala Star Wars of the night’s performers. The crowd screamed louder as each member came into a close-up.

Give me a break.

‘Cold heart baby!’

Then the curtain fell. The crowd went absolutely wild. Light sticks shook, placards danced, fans started to actually cry. A loud, explosive bang later SHINee came on stage wearing their trademark Nikes and skinny jeans. I wanted to laugh but held it all back in fear of being trampled by a psychotic fan.

‘...Cold eyes baby!’

The screaming was unbearably loud. The bass line echoed and made my chest feel like a drum. Whenever those annoying fireworks would go up, I went temporarily blind. I turned away from the stage and tried to push my way out of there but failed. There was literally no way out of this.

I paid no more attention to the performers. The only time I actually got a glimpse of them was when a girl in front of me fainted. I lost count on how many times my foot had been stepped on or how many times I was smacked in the head with a light stick. I couldn’t wait for it to end… not just the song, but the entire concert.

“Khun hyung! This is the best thing that ever happened to me!!!” Wooyoung screamed over the stereos.

Could this get any worse?

~*~*~
I took a breath. I haven’t taken one in two and a half hours. I wiped off the sweat that built up on my forehead and slid down the white walls of the backstage hallways. I felt my eyes grow heavy and my head just fell limp between my shoulders. This was one crazy night. I got a view of my shoes. Crap. Now who’s gonna clean these?!

“Ah. Hyung! I’m so nervous!” Junho’s voice shook and jumped.

“Yah, hyung! Get up!” Wooyoung ordered.

I lazily complied. This was the least I could do for myself: look presentable in front of my probable future colleagues. I bet they’re with their manager. I could get scouted right on the spot. This is what I really came here for. After going through that, I deserved to have something good happen to me.

“Annyonghasaeyo!” A group of voices greeted us.

I looked up to meet four smiling but tired-looking faces.

Junho and Wooyoung took the chance to shake their idols’ hands. I did too… out of courtesy.

“Annyonghasaeyo. Cheoneun Junho imnida.” Junho introduced himself.

“Choneun Wooyoung imnida.” Wooyoung followed.

I hesitated to introduce myself but I did. “Annyonghasaeyo. Cheoneun Nichkhun imnida.” I said with a deep bow.

I studied them again. So this is SHINee up-close.

“Mannaseo bangwoyo. (Nice to meet you.)” They replied in unison as they bowed as well.

They all seemed normal now that were less than a meter away from each other. But weren’t they five? As if on cue another one came running towards us. The three of us bowed as well.

“Chosonghamnida.” Apologized the missing SHINee affiliate. As he and I rose up from our bows…

I felt the world stand still.

He wasn’t particularly smiling nor was he frowning. I understood then that it were his eyes that smiled. I don’t usually look into people’s eyes but somehow… I was just drawn into his.

He paused as if to study me as well. I felt him stare into my soul as I unintentionally did the same to him.

“Hyung. Are you alright?” I blinked hard and the world went back to its normal pace. He was still in front of me. Minho. Choi Minho. Wasn’t that his name?

I couldn’t move a single limb even though I was fully conscious. Minho wasn’t moving either. We were just staring at each other… like we wanted to know why in the hell did the world stop just now. Like we wanted to know why we felt a… connection.

“Minho ah.” A member poked his shoulder. Minho’s head jerked to the side where his colleague was and smiled rather weakly to confirm that he was fine.

“Nichkhun hyung.” I was called.

“Yeah.” I snapped and tried to look normal.

Wooyoung and Junho began to chuckle. “Are you sure you’re fine, Nichkhun sshi?” This guy whose name was probably Onew asked.

I nodded but didn’t mean it. No. I wasn’t fine. I was confused. “Haha. It was pretty crowded out there a while ago. Maybe he just needs some air. Hey, did you guys enjoy the show?” another guy asked. Jonghyun was it?

I never really cared about their names but just this one dude… Minho… there was just something about him. He’s different in photos and videos. He’s different on television. Those just somehow didn’t do him justice.

What the hell am I thinking?

“It was really good! Amazing! We idolize you guys so much.” Wooyoung blushed.

“Do you want to go outside? Nichkhun sshi seems to be having a hard time in enclosed spaces.” Their youngest, Taemin, suggested.

We all agreed and followed their lead. As the five of them walked the three of us followed close behind. Even thought Minho’s back against me, I still couldn’t help but wonder about him. I was sure he felt what I felt a while ago. I saw it in his eyes. The way his eyebrows furrowed expressed that he was marveled as well. He slowly glanced over his shoulder and I was quick to avoid his gaze.

We were finally outside. It was probably a secret place since no fans were visible in the area. It was already nighttime and it was starting to get chilly. I wore my jacket that had been resting on my arm since we got in the coliseum.

“Are you feeling any better now? Nichkhun, right?” a voice asked from behind me.

“Eh?” I snapped in shock. It was Minho.

“Are you feeling alright now?” He repeated, this time with a smile. It made it hard for me to focus. What the hell is going on with me?! Why am I feeling this way? Is this how it feels to be star struck? No, I can’t be star struck. I don’t even like them. Was I sick? Yes. That might be it. I’m sick… let’s settle with that.

“A little better.” I replied.

“You don’t really like us, do you?” Minho asked.

I turned to see what the two fans were up to. They were bonding with the other members. Minho and I were stood at a far distance alone.

“To be honest, no. I was dragged here by those two.” I pointed to Wooyoung and Junho.

Minho laughed. “I’m actually relieved by that.” He replied.

“Are you from around here? Seoul? I’m pretty sure I’ve met you before.” he asked.

‘Maybe not in this lifetime, Minho.’ I wanted to say. “Th-that can’t be. No. I moved to Korea about a year ago.” I stammered.

He laughed again. “It’s just that if you have been around I’m sure I would have met you before.” He replied as he shyly looked down on the ground.

Maybe I have met him before. But I’m sure I would remember if I did. My heart was beating faster the longer I looked at him. I held my chest and felt it thump.

“This is going to sound strange but… you look… interesting.” He looked back up to me. “By that I mean—haha, how old are you?”

He looked nervous. Almost scared. It was pleasant change to see his guard down and so different from his confident aura as a celebrity.

“I just turned eighteen. And you’re seventeen.” I filled in for him.

“Turning eighteen… hyung.” He emphasized on the number. “If you don’t like us and you were just dragged here, why are you having this conversation with me?”

“I should be asking you that. I’m in no position to even be breathing the same air as you.” I replied.

“We’re both human. We breathe oxygen… nothing else. It’s nice to be talking to someone who doesn’t treat me like I’m so special.” He said.

I wasn’t counting but I’m sure it hasn’t been five minutes through this conversation. I felt comfortable with him. Though my vocabulary is very limited, I feel like I can tell him anything. Who are you, Choi Minho? What were you to me? Why do I feel like this?

“Minho ah! Nichkhun sshi! Let’s take a picture!” Wooyoung called from across the lot.

I nodded to Minho and we joined the other SHINee members and the two fandudes. Wooyoung found a staff member to take the picture for him using his camera. Minho placed his arm over my back and held my shoulder… and smiled.

My heart leapt and ached. I didn’t know if it was out of joy or nervousness or both. I stared blankly and his mouth. The way it curved up to a smile was just amazing.

Flash. “Alright! One more!” The staff member said.

The photo!

I quickly averted my gaze and looked at the camera, smiling even though I forgot how to.

“So pretty. That was great.” She said and handed over the camera to Wooyoung. Everyone began to bow and shake hands. Minho disappeared.

“We’re leaving?” I asked Junho.

“Yeah. Quick, huh? But they have interviews and stuff afterwards.” He replied.

“Nichkhun hyung!” Minho called. I turned around out of reflex.

Minho took my hand and pulled me in close until our chests met. I felt something between our hands. “This is just for you. Promise you won’t ignore me.” he whispered. He pulled away. “I trust you. Bye.” With that said he turned his back towards me and walked away.

I looked down at my hand. I took a few steps forward to hide it from Junho. It was a piece of paper. Numbers and the word ‘armadillo’ followed by the phrase ‘my contacts’. He gave me his number and his chat name.

“Hyung what was that?” Junho tried to look over my shoulder but I was quick to shove the piece of paper in my pocket.

“Nothing.” I smiled. “But I think I just made a friend.”

~*~*~
It was eleven o’clock. Nighttime. I couldn’t sleep. I was staring at this piece of paper, thinking if I really was supposed to make any kind of contact with Choi Minho again.

Okay. Pros and cons.

I ignored myself and dialed Minho’s number, registered it on my contacts list and activated my IM. This is kind of exciting...

armadillo: nichkhun hyung?? -_-“

khunster: yeh. minho sshi? ^^

I’ve never been so thankful for technology.

armadillo: it’s late… i thought you’d never contact me.

khunster: but i did… ^^

armadillo: and for that i’m very grateful ^^

khunster: if it’s so late, why are you still up?

armadillo: i was waiting.

khunster: for?

armadillo: you~~

TO BE CONTINUED…