Lovely Lullaby

Monster Thief
Please log in to read the full chapter

~Perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the midst of things humans make, there needs to be scars, failure, disorder and distortion for true beauty~

It was snowing. It fell in thick packs of clumped ice- heavy blankets of cold that stole the warm air from him as he breathed. The graceful puffs of white crystals danced around the air as the merciless wind tossled them about- but Wooyoung prefered the hazy shadows dancing more. The biting weather and freezing, frigid cold nipping at his poreclain skin was a great way to focus as it made everything sharper, more clear. His feet tentatively, but steadily, crept across the icy floor- and the merciless wind only grew more angry as the team of around fifteen people clad in black- blacker than the shadows- refused to back down from their journey to their destination. The disturbed wind blew out its wrath and dug into Wooyoung's white skin, desiring for the lean man to stop marching forward.The snow increased in mass with every snowflake that bleed from the clouds. Wooyoung could hear the crunching of the snow beneath their feet; Wooyoung, Chansung, and Taecyeon- the three leaders of their unit were in the front of their group, leading the fighters from JYP towards the "flickering of disturbed shadows in the rip of the dimension"- which they were currently looking for. That was what their spy had told the three leaders to look for- the entrance that led to their sworn rivals for eternity. It was supposedly a ripple in the air- like a black hole, only that the surroundings seemed hazy and it distracted the person near. So that if the person focused on the dizzy ripple in space, they would either get distracted by something else or forget about it. But Taecyeon was especially trained in restraining himself from getting off focus- even if his joking side occasionally made it seem like Taecyeon was easily side-tracked. Chansung and Wooyoung were relying on the tan beast for that part of the expedition.

Through the haze of white, icy shards dripping from the sky, Wooyoung soulessly marched on, feelings his cold knife rub against his moving legs. His pale fingers were quickly freezing even with his black leather gloves- and the poreclain doll-like male swiftly brought his hands together and attemped to create friction. The act of rubbing his hands together for warmth created an endearing image, and soon Wooyoung found his rather small hands covered by slightly less cold, and bigger gloves. Startled, Wooyoung tossed his mocha colored bangs sideways to peer up- and squinted against the white powder rushing to blind him. A mop of white hair came in, and out of view with every blink. The snow piled on Wooyoung's black lashes, and the ghost white hair also piled up with snow. It made the mysterious man's hair appear crazier than what its true volume was. Wooyoung knew exactly who this taller male was. 

"... Thanks, Chansung." Visualed puffs of air esaped Wooyoung's warm mouth as his words swirled away into a diminuendo. Chansung flashed a quick, handsome smile at him before patting Wooyoung hands and slipping away- to the middle of the formation. Among the relentess marching, Wooyoung prayed that Taecyeon could find the entrance. As Wooyoung glanced around, he found that everyone was freezing- Taecyeon's lips were turning blue, Chansung was flinching with every hard gust of wind, and their team of soldiers were also seeming to become more sluggish as their limbs started freezing. A pang of helplessness rang inside the fair skinned child, and the echo spread slowly within him. Wooyoung frowned with difficulty. Even his face muscles were freezing. And Wooyoung couldn't even protect the ones who helped him from mere cold. His stiff fingers curled up, cotton white with strain. They saved him from the world that shunned him, accepted him as their own, laughed and joked with him... This wasn't a time to get sentimental. Wooyoung blinked multiple times in quick succession. Why was he so suddenly side-tracked? -He wanted to reside in his shadows' company for eternity- The black, oily masses- enveoping his soul- thoughts of what Wooyoung hadn't thought of in weeks banged on his brain, shouting to be acknowledged. And Wooyoung ushered the memories inside, examining each foggy memories with no clear consciousness of his odd brain activity. Unbeknownst to Wooyoung, his eyes were clouded with a gray sheen, and he, Chansung, and the others had ceased their march. A sharp yell was nearly barked at the zombie-like soldiers, and Taecyeon snapped his mouth shut with realization as the others didn't respond. Or couldn't. 

"Oi! All of you, snap out of it! I found it! Wake up, damn it!!!" This was such a hopeless mission. Taecyeon could feel the hot fury of playing puppet to such a vague mission course through his viens and supply Taecyeon with renewed energy. Taecyeon stomped over to Chansung and gripped the blank man with his hands- and shook vigourously. Chansung's head rolled back and forth, and with each rough shake regained bits of his control over his mind. 

As Chansung came to, he almost lost his control over his brain from the angry shakes of the enraged Taecyeon. He was being shaken like a rag doll, and Chansung's world was reeling. 

"T-T-T-T-T-- TAECYEON I'M F-FINE...!!!" At Chansung's shaking words, Taecyeon gradually ceased his mindless man-handling of Chansung. He patted the white-haired man in apology and shifted to the other distracted fighters to pluck them from their trance. 

Around the time Wooyoung came to, the snow had surrounded the slimmest member of their expedition on all sides. The curtain that had enveloped Wooyoung's mind fell away, and he briskly nodded at Taecyeon's face.

Receiving Wooyoung's nod, Taecyeon strode to the front of their team, ready to begin the infiltration.

They rehearsed their plan over and over, walking small laps in circles to warm their body up. Then, with Taecyeon's guidance, they fell into the gap in between the trees- the blurry fog disrupting the peace of the woods.

~Inside the Enemy's Lair

Shouts and yells were what Wooyoung was truly expecting. Anything but the silence echoing inside the cement walls- anything but the smooth, slick interior design that eminated an aura of relaxation and utter confidence. There was no lab worker in sight, nor any kind of Rank monster. Nor the whispers of the leaders in conferences- it seemed as if everyone had just taken a break- all just left their secret base.

It unnerved Wooyoung.

There was somet

Please log in to read the full chapter