(1/2)

Better Than Fiction

Yixing’s body is slammed onto the back wall with a loud thud, but he doesn’t care for the pain that resonates through his back when he feels heat envelop him.

“You thought you could ignore me?” The man’s voice is deep and the breath hot, too hot on Yixing’s neck. The younger man quickly shakes his head, maybe Xiumin would go easy on him if he doesn’t further anger the other man.

“I’ve just been busy...” Xiumin doesn’t allow Yixing to finish his excuses before their mouths mold together...

 

“Sehun!” Jongin snaps his fingers in front of the blond man’s face in hopes to get his friend back to reality. “My God! I called your name for like twenty times already!”

“Sorry, Jongin,” Sehun offers a lazy smile, “I was kind of absorbed in writing.”

Jongin rolls his eyes and sighs.

“Of course you were. Are you still writing gay ?”

“Excuse you!” Sehun’s pale face flushes a deep red and he tries to close his laptop before Jongin can have a look at his writing. “It’s fanfiction and I don’t always write , okay? Also, it’s not my fault my favorite band happens to be an all male group so it’s inevitable that it’s going to be “gay”.”

Fortunately for Sehun, Jongin doesn’t like exerting energy on things that don’t benefit him thus his tan friend sits down on the chair across from Sehun in the tiny coffee shop that Sehun frequents.

“You could write about them in relationships with other females, why does it always end up with each other?”

Sehun is the one that sighs this time and opens up his laptop again to continue his previous story.

“Jongin, you wouldn’t understand.”

“Whatever.” Jongin sips from his drink before taking out his homework. “As your best friend, I guess I’ll accept everything that makes you you! Even if you write gay .”

Sehun shoots him a dirty look but doesn’t comment back. There’s no need too. Jongin’s a great friend and Sehun can’t be more grateful for Jongin sticking around him for this long. When Sehun first began writing fanfiction, Jongin, being his roommate, saw couple of his writing on his laptop and had questioned Sehun about his new interests. Sehun was worried that Jongin would judge him but Jongin was very passive and actually used it to give Sehun hard time just because he was entitled as a best friend.

Jongin gets up to plug in his own laptop and Sehun ends his current story. He smiles at the thought of uploading his story and having so many of his dedicated readers read and review the new piece and it only takes him ten minutes to complete the upload. He takes a moment to look over the page to make sure everything is aesthetically pleasing and closes the window so that he could not focus on his own homework.

The first time Sehun had been introduced to EXO-M was when he was at a study group session and one of his groupmates had been watching their debut performance. Sehun hadn’t really paid attention to the video, mainly because he had a test to study for, but the melody of the song had been surprisingly good and after their study session Sehun began humming the tune. It took him only couple of minutes to locate the song and he finally saw the six men who would officially change his life.

They were special. If asked, Sehun could never say what exactly drew him to them but he knew he was hooked and soon he was joining the fan club and buying merchandise to support the group. It always amazed him how the six men were from China but were able to penetrate the Korean market and establish a strong fan base. Granted, Sehun began following them when they were only rookies but now, after three years, EXO-M was one of the biggest groups in Asia. Sehun always believed that their popularity would increase and it made him so proud whenever they won awards or get dubbed as Asia’s representative boy band.

Fanfiction was a thing of a mystery before EXO-M. Sehun could easily guess what they were but he never had the pleasure of reading one until someone posted a link to a fanfiction on EXO-M’s fan club. Sehun had been sceptical in the beginning. However, after reading that one (and ten more after that in the same day) he was introduced to yet another thing that would change his life.

He began following writers that he liked and always got really excited when he discovered a new author or a new story. Once, he was reading over comments to one of his favorite stories when he came upon a prompt suggestion. He had been very intrigued and had hoped that the author or anyone else would be willing to write about it, but alas, no one did. Sehun was not the type to sit back and let everything be. He was the type to avidly pursue something until it was achieved and within a week he had finished writing his first story based on the fan’s prompt.

Out of bravery and pride Sehun posted his story under a new username: Mr.BubbleOh

It had been almost two years since Sehun had posted his first story and within that time his collection now stood at twenty-one oneshots and five chaptered stories. He could not believe how much he had written and it all came down to his readers.

In the beginning, Sehun had planned to just post that one story and be done with it. However, the response to the story was astounding. Within a week he had hundreds of people following him and one of his favorite fic-rec sites had advertised his story as the best new thing since ever. The comments were endearing and very encouraging to a point that Sehun could not stop writing more and more. Soon all of his stories were getting featured on different websites and even on the fan club much to Sehun’s amazement and embarrassment. Good thing he had changed his username before starting all the craziness.

“Do you think they read it?” Jongin is now eating a croissant sandwich and doing his best not to get any crumbs on his laptop.

“Who? Read what?” Sehun was busy revising his speech for his public speaking class that it took him a while to comprehend that Jongin had just asked him a question.  

“You know, your stories? Do you think EXO-M has ever read any of them?”

Sehun considers the question. He had started writing about them after they had become the major stars they were now so, surely, they would be too busy to even know about his silly writing. Additionally, there were thousands of other authors that write about them so what would be the chances of them coming upon his story?

“I don’t know, probably not.” Sehun can only shrug.

“If I were in their position I would be really creeped out. I don’t think I would be even able to look at the members if I had read any of the stories you wrote.” His nose scrunches up into a look of disgust but is soon replaced by him taking a large bite of his sandwich.

“Well, that’s your opinion. I wouldn’t care if someone wrote about me, it doesn’t really affect me in anyway.”

“I guess, but still. Hey, are we still making kimchi jun? I think we need to get some flour.”

Sehun smiles and quickly nods.

“Let’s stop by the mart before heading back then?”

Jongin shoves the rest of the sandwich into his mouth and does a double thumbs up before the two men go back to their school work.

-----

-OMG how do you come up with this??? I’m crying because it’s so beautiful!!! Thank you!!

-Please write a sequel to this!! I want more... Please?

-Hey, do you have any other platforms that we can communicate with you? Tumblr, twitter, etc.?

-Can we be friends???

Sehun smiles at all of the comments his recent story had received and notices a general theme in many of them. They all seem to want another way of communicating with him? Why? That was what Sehun had wanted to know. However, he opens up his Instagram and sees that most of his posts were nothing too personal. He didn’t have any pictures of his friends or of himself. Fifty percent was pictures of food, twenty percent was of Jongin’s dogs, ten percent was inspirational quotes, and the rest was just too random. Without a second thought Sehun added a new post with his Instagram username: Oh-to-the-hun and made a comment: if you guys really want to follow me... but be warned... I post nothing useful.

-----

Laynicorn sent you a photo.

Sehun stares down at his phone with a small Instagram notification smack in the middle of his lock screen in the middle of his accounting class. He swipes to the right and stares down at the sent picture of a mug filled with what it looks like coffee and a tablet with Sehun’s story shining brightly. Under the picture the sender had also added a comment: Spending my evening with the things that I enjoy! Thank you for uploading a new fic!

Sehun’s followers count had doubled by the end of the week but none of them had messaged him like he had thought they would. Well, not until right now. He could not tell if he was proud or surprised to have finally gotten one. But either way, he was grateful for the picture and saying that they enjoyed reading his work.

Oh-to-the-hun: You’re welcome and thank you for reading my work! I hope you like this one!

A girl that sits next to him taps him of the shoulder and asks if Sehun could clarify what their professor had written on the board. He does so quietly and is drawn back to his phone when it lights up again.

Laynicorn: Wow, you actually replied. I’m not even half way through the story and I love it already, do you mind if I asked you some things about your previous works?

Sehun’s also surprised that he got a reply back so fast.

Oh-to-the-hun: Awesome! Let me know if you still like it in the end. Sure, ask away!

Laynicorn: Okay so in Midnight For One, Yixing left because of his illness right? It wasn’t because he was actually going to backstab Luhan, right?

Sehun thanks his naturally inexpressive face or else he would be smiling like a madman.

Oh-to-the-hun: Totally, I made it slightly vague just so those who wanted Yixing to play the bad guy role would be satisfied. But personally it was definitely the illness.

Laynicorn: Oh good, man I really did not want Yixing to end up as the bad guy...

Oh-to-the-hun: Not possible, Yixing can never be the bad guy, he’s just too much of an angel that I can’t even write a fictional bad guy... or it’s just me lacking as an author?

Laynicorn: No! You are awesome for writing all this! Don’t doubt yourself and your skills. Also, I’m really glad that you decided to share your instagram.

Sehun doesn’t try to hide the small smile that creeps over his face. Good thing he sits a decent amount away from the professor.

Oh-to-the-hun: Me too. Thank you for your comment and I hope we will get to talk again.

-----

“Okay, this is weird. You were already so secretive of things you were writing on your computer now something is happening on your phone too? What gives?” Baekhyun flings a fry at Sehun’s phone that has been glued onto his hands ever since he sat down.

Sehun agreed to watch a movie with his friends and they all decided to eat dinner before the screening. However, Sehun was not going to stop his previous conversation on his phone just because he was with his friends.

“He has a crush on an Instagram ghost.” Jongin speaks up from Sehun’s side.

Sehun looks up to see everyone staring at him and down at his phone and he quickly defends himself.

“He’s not a ghost! And I’m not crushing!”

“Sure, why else would you be constantly talking with this “person” no matter what time or what it is you’re doing?” Jongin shakes his head like he’s oh so disappointed.

“What do you mean a ghost?” Joonmyun quietly asks and he leans forward with an expression on the borderline of scared and intrigued.

“I went of the person’s account,” Jongin ignores the look Sehun gives him, “and the person has nothing but like a picture of a sky and a unicorn plushie. Pretty creepy.”

“You think everything is creepy.” Sehun mumbles out with a dissatisfied look on his face.

He had been talking to Lay, that was how Laynicorn introduced himself when they became friends on Line, for over three months now. At first their conversation consisted of stories that Sehun had written but it soon changed to them both asking more personal questions. Sehun found out that Lay was a Chinese male who had a very inconsistent (that’s how Sehun would describe) work schedule. He was three years older than him but during their conversation Sehun never felt like Lay was older. Lay had this calming effect on Sehun that the younger man was beginning to crave on daily basis.

Sehun had asked if Lay would ever visit Korea and if so, could he maybe meet him? Lay had been strangely passive to that question and Sehun’s hopes and dreams of ever meeting a fellow fan was shattered. However, Sehun could not help but feel a sense of want whenever they ended their conversation. Unfortunately, he did not know what the want was and it was slowly killing him.

-----

Lay was the one that initiated it.

He was the first one to send Sehun a good morning text with a cute emoji with a hearth that made Sehun stare at the message for a good ten minutes, over analyzing it and causing him to almost miss his class. Then Lay went and sent him pictures like a small leaf that fell from a flower the older man was growing with a text: Sehunaaaaa!!! It’s dying!!! What should I do??? I thought I watered it everyday and my hyung said I should show my love to it daily!! Did I forget a day??? Sehunaaa~~~. It honestly made Sehun’s chest tighten up and create a want to just hug Lay until... well forever?

Sehun was so confused.

-----

It would be weird to have a random stranger write about you and your very close friends in relationships that were honestly never going to happen. However, Yixing was also strange like that. He actually enjoyed them immensely. Chen would always give him a hard time for liking fanfictions but none of the members stopped him because they all cared for him too much to keep him away from something he enjoyed.

He had not wanted to like it so much but the way the stories developed, the way the characters were written, sometimes so far fetched from the real person, everything melded so well together that Yixing would lose himself in the story.

It was only a year ago that he read his first fanfiction by an author called Mr.BubbleOh and it was a story about him and Luhan. When he first saw the introduction, Yixing was instantly intrigued. While getting his hair dyed, Yixing was left wanting more. For some reason, the other authors he had read always had something lacking compared to Mr.BubbleOh. Lucky for him, his favorite writer began posting more and more stories and Yixing became one of the authors dedicated readers.

Yixing’s messy black head pokes out of his sheets when he hears his alarm going off. With a groan he manages to get up and turn the annoying thing off before reaching over to his phone. A smile blossoms on the man’s face when he sees that there’s a message waiting for him.

Sehun: Good Morning~~~ I have a test today... hence why I’m actually awake at this god forsaken hour... Hyung~ I want to sleep more!!

The text had been sent an hour ago so Yixing hopes that he can catch the younger man before his test.

Lay: I know you will do well on you test! You’re surprisingly really smart! Make sure you take a nap before your work!

Sehun was always fast at replying, even now.

Sehun: Hyung! What do you mean surprisingly?? I’m offended now...

Lay: Awe, are you pouting now? I’m sorry Sehuna~

Sehun: I’ll only forgive you if you give me a hug...

Yixing sighs but a fond smile stretches over his face.

Lay: I’ll give you an air hug

Sehun: ...but I want a real one...

“Gege, are you up?” Tao’s head pokes through the door and he smiles when he sees Yixing up and putting his clothes on. “Why the long face?” The taller man walks into the room.

“Little sleepy?”

Tao’s eyes show that he doesn’t believe Yixing.

“Is it that Sehun person?”

Man, Tao could be very perceptive sometimes. Yixing sighs again and nods. What else could he do?

“Gege, you really like him, don’t you?”

“Funny you say that, we don’t really know each other.”

“No,” Tao shakes his head, “You two know basically everything about each other. Everything but the face.”

“Well, that’s the biggest part when I’m involved.”

Yixing walks over to his bathroom to wash up and get ready for today’s schedule and feels Tao following close behind.

“Do you trust him?”

“Huh?”

Tao looks slightly annoyed now, but he always looks slightly annoyed.

“Do you trust Sehun?”

“Yeah? Where is this headed?”

“Yixing-gege, I think you should just tell the man. I think you both deserve to know the truth. I can see how invested you are in this,” he makes a gesture with his arms, “relationship. It’s been, what, like a year since you two started talking and the longer it drags on the more frustrated you both get.”

“So? What do you suppose I do? “Oh, hey Sehun, you know Yixing? The idol you love and the guy you use in your fanfics? Yeah, well that’s me! Surprise!” Is that what you want?” He really did not want to sound like he was mad but he was slightly tired.

“Well, not that way. Make it more meaningful and I think seeing him in person would be more effective.”

Yixing’s mouth drops to the floor.

“You want me to meet him in person? He would faint! Maybe?”

“I don’t know then! Just do something about it! I’m gonna get going, we’re running late.” Tao abruptly turns on his heels and marches towards the door. Yixing watches the man walk away and right before he closes the door he manages to open his mouth.

“Thank you, Tao, for caring.”

Yixing sees Tao’s eyes soften and the man quickly nods before leaving.

-----

Sehun takes a deep breath. Then a deeper one. His heart is about to beat out of his chest and it does not feel all that pleasant. His phone is sitting right in front of him already open to the conversation with Lay and the little cursor blinking, ready to type.

With slightly shaky hands he reaches over and with another deep breath begins to type.

Sehun: Lay-hyung. Please hear me out and read till the very end. I know that this is going to sound stupid and crazy and creepy but I think I really, really, really like you. I know that we had never seen each other’s faces or even heard one another’s voices but I’ve been talking to you for the past 13 months and I think that what I feel for you is nothing light. I will understand if you don’t want to talk to me anymore after this but I really want you to know how I feel. It’s been slowly driving me crazy and I just had to tell you. That is all. I hope your work is going well.

He closes his eyes and presses send and right away his mind flies away with multiple scenarios of things that the other man could say or do and Sehun just stands up and leaves to get himself a drink. Maybe that will calm him down a little.

-----

Sehun: I just landed in Busan! My mom should be here soon! I hope your trip is going well too!!! Love you hyung!!! <3<3<3

“Sehun!” The blond man turns around and sees his mother walking over with a giant smile on her face. “You made it! How was your trip sweety?” She takes hold of his face and pulls the tall man down to her level to plant a kiss all of his face.

“I’ve missed you so much!” Sehun allows the effection to rain down on him because he really has missed the woman.

“Me too, me too. Come, let’s head back. Your father is going crazy cooking up a storm. I need to go save my kitchen.” They walk over to parking garage with Sehun enveloping the woman in his arms.

Lay: Ya!!! Send my greetings to you parents... I hope I can see them one day. London is really cold right now! But I’ll keep warm, you do the same! I love you more my Sehunnie!!!!

-----

“I’m going to do it!” Yixing declares when he and s are in the car waiting for their manager to drive them to the airport.

“Do what?” Yifan asks as he lowers his backrest so that he could hopefully catch some sleep.

“I’m going to see Sehun!”

“In person???” Xiumin’s voice calls out from the front of the van while Yixing is giddily looking at s from the back.

“Yup! I think I’m ready. I think we are ready.”

“About time,” Luhan sighs, “haven’t we been saying that since like before you two became a couple?”

Lay: Hey, quick question... what are you doing next saturday?

“Yeah, I suppose so.” Yixing doesn’t even try to argue anymore. They had all been saying it way before anything happened.

Sehun: Dying... What’s up?

Lay: Dying!?!? Why??

Sehun: Because EXO-M is having a concert that weekend and I wasn’t able to get a ticket... How does everything get sold out in ten minutes?? I had a freaking exam! So not fair...

Yixing suppresses his giggle but Chen, who’s sitting next to him, raises his brow and gives him a knowing look.

Lay: Awe, is my poor Sehunnie pouting? Well, this might change your mood then.

Sehun: What?

Lay: I just sent you an email, did you get it?

He doesn’t get a reply from Sehun for about five minutes; however, what he does not expect next is for a call from the said man.

“Hello?”

Hyung!! Is this for real?

Yixing laughs out loud this time and everyone in the car turns around to look at their hysteric member.

OMG! How did you get tickets? Wait... are these VIP?

The Chinese man pulls his phone away from his ear because Sehun is now screaming and Yixing needs his hearing to be able to sing.

“It’s actually your birthday gift. I know it’s the week after the concert but I just wanted to make sure you can organize your schedule so you can go see them perform.”

I would have quit my job just to go see EXO-M! I can’t believe this is real... give me a second...” Yixing hears the younger man taking some deep breaths, “I could just kiss you right now. Thank you so much, hyung.

“You’re welcome.”

I love you hyung, I really wish I could have watched them with you. But I guess Jongin would do for now.

“Trust me,” Yixing fondly sighs into his phone, “I would like nothing more than that. I love you too, Sehuna.”

Yixing ignores the pointed looks s direct at him. He’s too happy to care for anything.    

 


The second part should be up soon!