Chapter 2

Hereafter

A/N:

Chapter 2 :D

I love feedback. So please, let me know what you think about the story so far~ ^-^


 

Chapter 2 - Gifted

 

 

I knew it would rain tomorrow. It would start as soon as I reached the first crosswalk I had to pass in order to reach school.

Why I knew that? Well, some call it déjà vu…or relieving a memory for the second time. I called it ‘seeing pits and pieces of the future’, or short: ‘pain in the ’.

When I had been younger, I dreamt many things that would happen months afterwards. Mostly I couldn’t even remember that I had dreamt such a thing in the first place.

But as I got older the talent, I seemed to have, improved and got more vivid.

Short daydreams of things that would happen a few days later.

That’s when I realised that those weren’t just ‘normal’ déjà vu’s. No. This was something more serious.

One time I saw myself telling my mother about that weird talent. She however only laughed and tried to reason with me.

“There aren’t things like that, Chan. No human can see the future.”

After I woke up from that little trance I decided not to tell anyone.

They would just laugh at me.

Most of the time those bodings were things I could transform into my advantage.

And sometimes they were bad omen.

When I turned 19, my visions already so far that I could see things happening just minutes later, did I do something I have never done before. I used my gift to help someone other than myself.

Wooyoung had always been clumsy. So when I saw him losing his footing as we stood at a staircase that led into the first floor of a known cafe we had decided to meet up in, I couldn’t help myself but to decide that I had to stop this event from happening.

A few minutes later we decided to go out and meet a few of our other friends, going to karaoke.

I was prepared as he lost his stance and grabbed his hand in the speed of light. He seemed surprised, but as he realised that I’ve saved him from a broken leg and probably worse he smiled thankfully.

“Thanks Chan. You just probably saved my life. You’re the best.”

Those few words made my inside so warm and happy, that I decided that from now on, I would use my gift to help others as well, not just myself.

What a fool I’ve been...

 

 

 

 

It was heavily raining, many different colours flashed past my eyes as the people on the street tried to get home as soon as possible with their differently coloured umbrellas.

Mine was black, simple as that.

I didn’t like standing out in a crowd. I mean, my ability was outstanding enough. Of course I haven’t told anyone about it, not so far.

I still feared that they would call me crazy, and something told me I was right about that. I knew many teens in my age would say they don’t feel ‘normal’, they are still wondering about what their lives will bring. Well, I was 20 and I felt the same way, but for me it was definitely more complicated than for most young adults.

I was just about to cross the street. A very busy shopping street that funnily, but not surprisingly, was right next to one of the most feared areas in Seoul. Criminality was nothing rare in this area, but like everyone, I thought nothing could happen to me. At least I’ve been a nice and honest person; well, as honest as I could be.

But as the light turned green, I stopped dead in my tracs, gazing into nothing.

 

The car didn’t even try to slow down. The rain drops heavily fell onto the silver roof of the sleek car. I could even hear the sound of the body making contact with the hard material. I also heard the motor as it howled up. And I heard the painful scream from the tiny and frail body it made contact with.

The car didn’t stop, no, it sped up and rushed down the soulless street.

I felt myself returning from the vision. But this was a scene I’ve never seen before. I tried to deepen the vision again, clinging to it, trying to see more. Something helpful that could tell me where it would happen.

The tiny body of a young kid lay on the dirty and wet street, unmoving.

Hurriedly I looked around, trying to distinguish something helpful. And there it was. A road sign.

 

Long before my vision was back to normal I ran down the street, turning right, following the street, trying to prevent myself from falling or colliding with strangers. Then another right turn.

While running I pulled out my phone, typing in the ambulance number.

As soon as my call was answered I screamed what I wanted, telling them to hurry, even if it wasn’t really necessary since the woman promised that the ambulance was on its way.

I ended the call, even though she told me to keep telling her about the kid’s condition. But how could I tell her when I wasn’t there in person?

‘You are too young to die, kid. I’m by your side in a second…’ I said it like a mantra while speeding down the street, pushing people out of the way.

Finally, after one last left turn, I set foot on the dirty side road.

Meters away I saw the back lights of the silver car, before it vanished.

Hurrying to the kids’ side, I felt his pulse. It wasn’t too strong, but it was there. I wasn’t sure if I should pull him up and into my arms, since it was cold. But I decided against it. Probably the collision with the car had caused great injuries. Therefore I would make it worse if I moved him.

I’ve never felt so helpless before.

The kid seemed to gain his consciousness again, whimpering in pain.

He tried to move, to look around. I gently placed my hand onto his back, gently rubbing it over his soaked jacket.

“Shhh. Don’t move kiddo. You just had an accident and its best if you keep still. I already called help, so please, relax and stay still, ok?” I tried to sound soothing and gentle, but I guess the kid noticed my anxiety.

“Okay, I’ll stay still, but please, tell the creepy girl to go away…” The kid mumbled, his words slurred and I wasn’t sure if I heard it right, since he was lying on his stomach, face facing the wet street. When I turned and looked for the girl he had mentioned, I couldn’t see a single person. The street was empty and dead silent.

“I’ll tell her. Just close your eyes. The ambulance will be here in a second.” I said, eying the young kid with furrowed brows.

‘It seems like he hit his head really badly. I hope everything will turn out well…’ I said to myself, still looking around the street.

Minutes later the sirens of the ambulance echoed through the night, making me sigh in relief.

“Mister, what’s your name?” He was talking slowly, but not slurred anymore.

I smiled to myself, relief flaring up in my chest. I knew that he would make it.

“My name is Chansung.”

 

 

 

 

I furrowed my brows when I stepped into a crowded coffee shop, entering it right behind a woman who used a wonderful perfume. Loud chatter echoed through the shop and the smell of fresh coffee and the woman’s perfume mingled with each other, creating a tasty smelling fragrance that I would’ve loved to taste.

Humans couldn’t see me, only those who have died.

However, even if they weren’t able to see me, I still was capable of moving things, smelling them and touching them, even tasting them. But I tried not to, because if someone would witness a flying coffee cup or a flying banana, they would freak out. And I didn’t need unwanted attention. Besides, I didn’t feel hungry, never. So it would be a waste of food since I would have to ‘steal’ it from someone who was actually hungry in order to taste it.

I was a god damn Grim Reaper. I ‘stole’ life’s, not food, even though it was hard to resist. I’ve always loved food and could smell something tasty miles away.

I walked further into the room, trying to avoid as many shoulders as I could, keeping my presence hidden.

Actually I was just here to enjoy the presence of people, of living beings, their closeness, and their warmth. The sound of their chatter and the smell of the shop.

I liked coming here after a mission, knowing that the next could come any second.

I was about to lean against a wall near the counter, when a scent caught my interest.

It smelled sweet, but at the same time spicy and fresh. It was an unusual smell, something I’ve only smelled once before, and even if I was really good in remembering scents, I couldn’t recall that one.

I noted to myself that it had probably been in my time as a human.

Curious as to what cake or coffee it was that smelled that incredible, I stepped forward, letting my eyes wander over the crowd.

My brows rose as I recognized a young man. He was sitting near one of the big windows, coffee cup in hand while looking out of the window with a soft smile.

I was dumbfounded as I realised that it was not a coffee or piece of cake that had smelled that nice, but the man himself. Never in my life have I thought that a human could smell tasty, but he did. He smelled really good. As soon as I knew whom the scent belonged to, it got even more intense, as if the whole room was swarmed with his scent.

I stood there for a few seconds, staring at him and his perfectly shaped features, his big hands that carefully held the steaming cup of coffee and those crescent shaped eyes that glanced out the big window.

I knew him. I knew those eyes, those lips and those hands that had trembled when I’ve met him for the first time.

It was the boy I’ve met years ago, when I’ve been 20 and alive. I closed my eyes, trying to remember that horrible night where someone had dared to flee after hitting the 6 year old boy with a car. Said boy was now sitting in this shop with the age of 25.

“Junho...” I hummed while opening my eyes.

You can imagine how shocked I was as he turned into my direction, making direct eye contact with me.

His eyes widened, his mouth opened and his breathing stopped for a short moment.

He then smiled, turned away again and took a sip of his coffee, as if nothing had happened.

Blinking confused I turned around, checking if he had seen someone behind me, someone he might have known.

However, there was no one looking or waving at him, no one who seemed to know him.

I shook my head.

“Now I’m going crazy…” I said, but before I could turn and walk back to my favourite place in the shop, I heard a soft chuckle and a whispered ‘You are not crazy, Chansung.’

Now my eyes widened and I watched the man I’ve known as a child standing up and walking my way. Before he passed me he nodded towards my direction and motioned me to follow him.

I watched as he left the shop, and as I saw him vanishing around the corner of the shop, curiosity got the better of me and I followed behind. I didn’t even care as surprised gasps left the customers near the door as it seemingly opened on its own.

 

 

I looked right and left, but only an empty side street greeted me, no Junho in sight.

Furrowing my brows I walked further down and once I passed an alley, a rather strong hand grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side.

My back made contact with the cold stone wall and my eyes probably looked like they would fall out any minute as they took in the very handsome face of Junho.

“You probably don’t need to breathe, but please, for the sake of my heart, breathe…” Junho muttered, amusement swinging in his voice.

“Right…” I took a breath, my eyes still following Junho as he let go of my arm and stepped back, leaning against the wall opposite me.

He stared at the ground as if he was thinking about something, minutes went by.

Many questions swirled in my brain. I wanted to know so many things. Like, how has he been over the years? What has he done? Is he feeling well? And of course the most important question of all: Why could he see me?

“Could you stop staring at me?” He raised his head, looking at me with pleading eyes. I kept on staring, blurting out the first thing that crossed my mind.

“Why? I can’t help myself; it’s weird to be seen by someone.” I threw back, still gazing at him as if he was the most unusual thing in this world.

I suddenly smiled and then started laughing.

Bewilderment made its way on his handsome features.

“I’m sorry. But I was thinking that you are kind of abnormal. But here I am, laughing about a boy that can see me, a Grim Reaper.” I chocked and slightly toned down my laughter.

He grinned and nodded.

“We are some weird guys…” He hummed, now looking at me directly again.

My laughter died down and a cold but rather pleasant shiver ran down my spine.

I’ve long forgotten how it was to be seen by someone. How it was when someone looked directly into your eyes, someone with a heartbeat and warm skin.

Imagine how surprised I was when I realised that it was adoration glinting in Junho’s crescent shaped eyes as he watched me.

 

 

“You know, it’s all your fault…” Junho hummed when he turned his head, breaking the eye contact.

My lower lip moved forward and my brows furrowed, not really sure what he was trying to say with those words.

“It’s your fault that I can see people like you, people who collect souls and free humans from their human shell.”

For a short moment I stood there and wondered if he still had a head trauma from his accident as a child, but he seemed to sense my infidelity.

“Do you remember the day you saved me? The day I was hit by a car when I was still a kid?” He asked curious, as if it’s been so long that I could’ve already forgotten it.

I nodded. I would never forget that day.

“You saved my life, and with that you changed my fate. I should be dead, for years now. But you saved me…” He smiled sweetly at me.

“You know. I was already on my way towards the other side; a blonde woman had come and told me to follow her. But then I heard your voice, and when I turned around I saw my body lying there, you kneeling next to me. And while seeing that, I decided that I was too young to die and that you’ve been sent in order to save me.” Junho continued, his gaze wandering off again.

“However, since that day I can see people like you, or Grim Reapers like you call yourself.” He ended, letting out a huff at the end.

For minutes I stood there, starring at the same spot Junho was gazing at. Or maybe at another. My brain worked on high speed, and when it made ‘ching’ it doomed on me that this man, was the reason why I’ve gotten into all this .