Chapter 1

Hereafter

A/N:

I want to thank Phia who helped me with this story, Thanks for listening to me rambling about this fic n reading through it :)

I really hope you'll all like the story ^-^


 

Chapter 1 - Work

 

The little light of the afterglow that managed to break through the light green curtains reflected in the sharp blade and made it appear magical. Everyone would have thought so, everyone who would’ve been able to see it.

Chan, however, shook his head, irritated as that thought crossed his mind.
No. His scythe was nowhere near magical or beautiful. It was a simple working tool. A tool he needed to finish a work he wasn’t even fond of. A job he hadn’t chosen on his own.

His gaze fell onto the old Lady who calmly placed the book she’d just finished on her bedside table, gently tapping the cover of the book before turning around. She then tried to make herself comfortable in her bed, closed her eyes as she found a suitable position and let out a relaxed sigh.

She was old and frail, had seen many things in her life, and met many different people. She had loved and suffered and now it was time for her to come with him. Now it was Chan’s job to accompany her into the new life that awaited her.

Chan always felt a deep satisfaction when he had to accompany people like her. Old people, who had lived a fulfilled life, who had had the chance to enjoy it till an old age.

He felt far worse about jobs that required him to take children and young people who hadn’t had a chance to enjoy a long life yet.

But Chansung had learnt not to rebel against fate. Because if you did, the backlash for your actions was always much worse than the original malady itself would have been.

As he sat up straight in the chair facing the bed, an eerie squeaking sound accompanying his movement, he realised the woman had already fallen into eternal sleep.

There was no sound coming from her and as he held his breath he realised that everything around him was dead silent; no sighing, no yawning no heartbeat. Nothing…

A short ‘hmmm’ left his lips as he rose from his position and leisurely walked towards the bed. When he stopped right in front of the lifeless woman his fingers ghosted over the sharp blade of his scythe. He then griped the stem a little harder and lunged out.

Suddenly a blazing light encased the woman. The light flared up to a brightness that hurt the eyes before it dimmed down again.

Her soul was freed.

A small smile played around the corners of Chan’s mouth as he slightly bowed down to call her name softly.

Sleepily the woman opened her eyes and blinked as she noticed Chansung standing at her bed.

A worried gaze made its way onto her features and she furrowed her brows.

“Come. It’s time to go…” He summoned her with his deep calming voice.

And even if the woman still seemed bewildered and confused, she did as told.

As she stood up, her gaze wandered to her feet that no longer looked fragile, but very healthy and young.

 

Chan reckoned that this fact would confuse the woman even more, since she was now a young woman again, no longer old and sickly. The woman, however, took a step to the side in order to look into the mirror that hung next to the bedroom door, just behind Chansung.

A happy smile flashed over her features as she faced Chan again.

“I’ve already waited for you.” She let him know, smile getting brighter.

“I hope you didn’t wait too long. There had still been a few grains of sand in your hourglass, but now it’s time to go.“ He let her know, holding out his hand.

The woman nodded understanding and grabbed Chansung’s offered hand.

“Is he already waiting for me?”

Without asking whom she was referring to, he confirmed her question with a short nod, but continued to explain.

“He does. Victor had patiently waited five years for you, no worries.”

The woman seemed happy to hear her deceased husband’s name.

When Chan grabbed the woman’s other hand, light aded the room.

The woman e last time, glancing towards the bed where her lifeless body was resting with a content smile.

“Now I look like 20 again. That was my age when I married my husband.” She hummed and Chan couldn’t help but chuckle.

„I know, Clara. When people die they return to the body they were the most happy in. Victor woke up in his 25 year old body when he died. As far as I know he was 25 when he asked you to become his wife.” Chan replied soothingly as he noted tears escaping the young woman’s eyes as she turned towards him again. With a gentle pat he pushed the woman towards the annoyingly bright light.

“Don’t let him wait any longer, Clara.”

The woman nodded towards him and stepped into the light, mumbling a faint ‘Thank You’ before she was gone and the room turned dark again.

 

 

Chansung never stayed back and watched when someone found the dead body, the lifeless shell.

It was already hard enough taking young kids, babies, mothers, fathers or teenagers with him. He would surely regret everything he did when seeing who the people were that were left behind after the loved person’s death.

Chan had never thought about things like these when he had been alive. When he had been a normal boy. Well, a normal boy with a not so normal gift.

He had never asked himself: Is there someone who’ll miss me once I’ve died?

Over the years he had met a few people, a few people he was now, now that he was no more there, sure missed him. But back then, as already mentioned, he hadn’t thought about things like dying or how it would happen.

Maybe he had been too busy taking care of that damned gift he had, trying to be as normal as possible.