Chapter 1

Of Books and Reputations

Look at him. Ugh I hate his guts so much.

 

She looks at him from a distance from her seat in the cafeteria.

 

“You sooo like him…” Soojung blankly says while she pokes her meatball with her fork

 

“Tch. No I don’t”

 

So what if he’s so popular right now? So what if he’s the student council president? Just because he’s smart, I’m still top 1

 

In the running team, I’m faster

 

Speaks well, I’ve been to more contests, even won

 

Has nice hair

 

Great body

 

Cool

 

Handsome

 

Smells goo—

 
 

“He’s not my type” she tells Soojung, the latter rolls her eyes.
“You don’t have to lie. You can always tell me how you feel for the guy.”
Amber side-eyes the person beside her
“besides” Soojung speaks again
“it’s not like it isn’t obvious”

 

“Am I being obvious?” Amber hunches down and lowers her voice
“ugh.” Song Qian, the eldest in the group of friends facepalms
“Amber eonni, you’re the smartest person in this school, yet you’re so dumb when it comes to—“ Sunyoung was shut up because Amber’s hands were almost covering her whole face
“OH GOD EONNI DON’T” Jinri was screaming at the top of her lungs as she tries to untangle Amber from the poor being that is Sunyoung, causing the people in the cafeteria to look at them.

 

Oh God, don’t look here

 

Amber was having a hard time relaxing especially when she saw the person she was staring at earlier, was now staring at the scene at their table.

 

“she’s at it again”
“really, what’s up with her?”
“It’s her friend this time huh?”
“Don’t you think she’s gone too far?”
"So it was all true, huh?"

 

Mutters were heard.
Her reputation was once again brought up.
Amber the bully.
Yeah, that’s who she is.

 

Amber J. Liu, the smartest girl in SM High. She was notorious for bullying people. Her famous act of bullying was on Chemistry time back when she was on 6th grade. She kinda mixed a few chemicals here and there and yeah, it kinda exploded on everyone’s faces.
She was brought to the principal’s office, of course. When she was asked if it was on purpose, she admitted things
“I tried different mixtures of chemicals on each of everyone's test tubes. And it was successful, they all did what they were supposed to do. It was fun. Everyone’s faces were priceless!”

 

It wasn’t taken lightly by everyone and she practically got hated because her classmates suffered from burns on their faces. everyone saw her as a psychopath.

 

But she was young. And foolish. And too smart for her own good.

 

Oh, I should mention, she used to beat up the boys that were picking on her girl classmates, she was tomboyish even back in the day. Her girl classmates however, instead of being grateful towards her, got afraid of her because of the Chemistry incident, except Jinri and Sunyoung. they were the only grateful ones who stuck by her side even to this day. Ironically, they got hated on as well because they stayed by Amber's side.
She was misunderstood.
Amber never thought that her "Ambully" reputation would be stuck until she got to her senior high.
Song Qian and Soojung are a different story though.
Amber was already an outcast and she pretty much already hated everyone in school when she saw these two.
Song Qian and Soojung have always been campus hotties even back in sixth grade and the two have always been together.

 

Not exactly the smartest people, they were Amber's classmates, so she knew.
one day there were sitting behind her. lucky me Amber thought as the two started chanting some words she could barely remember now 
was it shaggity shagitty sha poo poo? or was it racka chacka whatta... whatever.
They chant that phrase whenever they see each other.

 

She rolled her eyes until they hurt and she couldn't take their anymore
GOOOOSH Are they annoying or what

 

"Hey..."
she turns on her chair to face them, the two finally shut up to look at her
"Do you even know what you guys are chanting about?"
the two girls blinked
"What?" Soojung asked
Amber beckons them to come closer as if it was such a secret and they lean closer

 

"...
It's a spell for teenage pregnancy"
and with that she turns to face the front again and enjoys the silence because the two girls behind her finally shut up.

 

She didn't understand, a few days after that incident, Song Qian and Soojung kept tagging along with her
Probably to seek more knowledge. Whatever.
She thought it was a temporary thing for the four girls to stay friends with her, considering her reputation,but no. They were nice people, and they changed her as she changed them. Well, except for Sunyoung and Jinri, she has saved their lives, they are eternally grateful. Was that how it went? Oh well. Meanwhile Soojung and Song Qian are now tamed down from being the es they were back then, and smartened up due to Amber's influence.

 
 

"Why are we friends again?" Was a phrase hardly mentioned within the group.
Yeah, none of them kinda wanted to look back on how they met and became friends.

 

"Why are we friends again?"

 

"Oh cause you guys were afraid of being pregnant at a young age, being the es that you once were"

 
 

"Why are we friends again?"

 

"You have saved our lives. We are eternally grateful"

 
 

"Why are we friends again?"

 

"Oh! Remember when you mixed a few chemicals together in everyone's test tubes to try if does explode and it did and it kinda burned off everyone's faces? And then you were outcasted and you beat up boys back then and--"

 

Yeah. Best not to ask that question. May it be a joke or not. Just no.

 

Back to the scene.

 

"Okay... okay... nothing to see here." Song Qian was quick to stand up and raise her arms horizontally in an attempt to hide what was goin on at their table. And with that everyone went on with their businesses with a hint of buzzing.

 
 

"Ugh, Jinri, do you even know how to shut up?" Soojung deadpans as she points her fork at Jinri who was now covering her own mouth.

 

"Forget that, Amber eonnie, di you see Henry? He looked this way!" Sunyoung said while grinning and Amber was ready to jump on her again for being such a blabbermouth.
"Aish!"

 

She was going to harass Sunyoung again if only she had the strength to do so again, only now a facepalm was all she could afford to do.

 

"You'll never get rid of that reputation of yours unless these two are still breathing." Song Qian jerks a finger at the Jinri and Sunyoung who were smiling with puppy dog eyes at Amber as if they would be forgiven that way.
"I don't even know anymore. Don't you guys have things to do? I'm gonna do my homework at the library." Amber stands up and picks up her books while massaging her temples with the other hand

 

"Uh, it's called homework, not librarywork." Soojung arched a brow

 

"Well, yes, but I had to finish other people's homeworks for them" Amber stresses

 

"Whose?"

 

"Yours, dummy." Amber flicks Soojung's forehead before running off

 

---

 

On her way to the library, she passed by the Student Council's office.
Henry isn't there. He's at the cafeteria. You just embarrassed yourself in front  of him remember? she thinks to herself because she was on her way to peeking through the door's glass.

 

"Hey." She turns around to the sound of the voice, startled.
"Oh shi-- Hey."
"Were you looking for someone?"
Ailee, the Student Council vice president was carrying a handful of paperworks as she smiled at the tomboy
"Uh, no. I just... happened to pass by."
Ailee stares at her with furrowed eyebrows as if thinking deeply of something
"Hey, I remember you!"
You do? Well, great.
"You're Amber Liu right?" She snaps with her free hand
"Haha... Bingo!" Amber fakes a laugh duh, how could you not know me? 
If Amber remembers correctly, Ailee was part of her Chemistry scandal back then, but she was either kind enough to forgive her or too forgetful enough to even remember what she ate this morning. Afterall, her nickname wasn't Goldfish for nothing. Meh.

 

"You're the top 1 in the school right?" She points at the list of top students posted on the wall beside the door.
Oh, so that's how she remembered my name. She really is a Gold fish.
"Uh... Yeah." Amber just shyly nodded. One, because, she hates the fact that she's on top yet she's being hated, and two, because Ailee was practically screaming and she hates it when she catches attention. She's trying to be in the shadows here, aight?

 

"Woah, you're like so cool, cuz you know, you're there on top and still maintaining that spot for like I dunno how long cuz I forgot, but you're like so smart but you're so down to earth and stuff?"
This goldfish right here landed on the 5th place of the list, I know right? Even Amber can't figure out how she did it.
Amber was just there pokerfaced, looking at Ailee like she was some fish out of water like how they open their mouths gasping for air. Will she ever stop talking? No one knows,

 

"Why aren't you student council president?" She finally ends her endless yapping with a question.

 

"I don't feel like it anyways. Well then, I have stuff to do. See ya." and with that she turns on her heel and starts sprinting to the library.

 

Why isn't she the school council president, you ask?
Well, who would want a "bully" to run the student body, amirite? Though she wished, that issue was never brought up again nor remembered by anyone. Not that she wanted to be a leader or any sort, but the thought that no one even dared encouraged her to do so hurt. No one even dared talk to her.

 

She's not a bully. What happened back then was a thing of the past that was constantly brought up so it was never forgotten.

 

"Is this seat taken?"
"No. Take it." She says in a dead tone as she turns the pages languidly while her head was propped on her left hand.
"Amber, right? Amber Liu?"
"Yeah."
"I'm Henry Lau. Student council president."
"Nice to--"
What
"Hello?? Yes, wait, uhh.. What was that? No signal here." She quickly picked her phone and pretended to be talking to someone, grabbed her book and ran off to the gym.

 

"Song Qian!" She bursts in through the double doors, causing the human pyramid of cheerleaders to topple down out of surprise. Song Qian was the one on top.

 

"What the hell??" Song Qian was assisted by her fellow cheerleaders in standing up, good thing she wasn't injured
"Whoa, why are you so red? Are you alright?" She starts pressing her palm against Amber's red forehead

 

"H--H--He--"
"He? He who? He what?"
"Hen...ry..." Amber gasps in between breaths ad Song Qian thinks she looked like a llama askig for water

 

"Break time girls!" She turns to her squad forming a T with her two hands.

 

"He was right there beside me... He talked to me... He... ASKDHSAHIASEHKFVNAD!" all the poor girl did was ruffle her boy cut hair and grit her teeth. "GOSH! I HATE HIM SO MUCH!" and with that she buried her face in her palms
Song Qian sat beside her on the bleachers, wide eyed, obviously confused about what was going on.
"So... What is this about? Do you like him or do you hate him?"
Amber just raised her head from her palms looked at her friend dead eye as if something was wrong with the older one.
"I just said I hate him so much."
"Okaaaay?" The older one just nods and stares back at the now-messy-haired tomboy

 

"UGH! Forget I told you anything." She picked up her backpack and books and began dragging her legs to exit the gym.

 

Why did the Henry guy have to sit beside her?
Why did he have to get that close to her? He was allover her personal space!
And why did he have to smell so good?
God, she hated the man for being so perf--- so Henry!


A/N: am i doing the  High School AU thing correctly here? ;_; am i even writing correctly? UGH 'tis the time of drought for this OTP 

please forgive the typos :* bai~