ii. Whistle for the Choir

Whistle for the Choir
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changmin arrived later than usual at the orphanage thinking that he will catch Juhyun singing with the children again. Instead, he found another volunteer in the class. He scratched his head as he moved along the corridor, peeking into each class in an attempt to spot her. He was sure it was a Saturday…Strange enough, he did not see Juhyun anywhere in school in the midst of all the girls crowding around him. 

The following Saturday came, he realized that Juhyun was not there too. When opportunity came, he hurried to the principal’s office to ask if she knew of Juhyun’s whereabouts. She was clearly avoiding him and he needed an answer. “Changmin, dear. Ever since you came, I see Juhyun blossoming into a beautiful young lady of her age instead of the sad little girl she was.. Please, I do not know what has happened, but I am sure it has got to do with you. Save her from herself, will you?” The principal said with a sad smile, then passed him a slip of paper. “Here, this is her address. She has reported in sick for the week and I guess it is a good enough reason to drop by to see if she is doing okay,” she shrugged a little and waved her hands at him signalling for him to go on. "Oh, remember to bring some comfort food along too."

===

Changmin heaved out a heavy sigh, he was not sure why but he felt this tinge of uneasiness. He was standing in front of her apartment, with 2 bags full of groceries, and was not even sure if he was going to cook anything (yet). "Well, I guess we just have to do this," he pushed the doorbell and waited anxiously. Juhyun opened the door, wearing a white flare dress with her long wavy hair half done up. Her expression was priceless as both pleasant surprise and annoyance shot up. Changmin was caught in between guilt and happiness at this sight of her.

"Erm... So I have not seen you at the orphanage for 2 weeks straight and the principal told me you were sick so I came by to..." Juhyun looked at him blankly and then attempted to close the door until she heard a big 'ouch'. "Huh, I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed as she saw that Changmin's foot was stuck in between the door. "I. Uh. OUCH, IT HURTS." Changmin exclaimed even louder now that he saw how the trick has worked. 

"Let me take a look," Juhyun said apologetically as she opened the door to let Changmin in. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." she said as she kneeled down beside him to examine his foot, which in all honesty looked perfectly normal. Changmin faked whimper as she laid a hot towel over the supposed painful spot. 

"You know... you have a pure and kind heart," Changmin said as he observed her actinos, both careful and soft. Juhyun froze at his comment, and then stood up to switch out the towel. "Since I am here, and you are unwell... and erm, I'm kind of injured and hungry... and I bought groceries... uh, do you mind if I cook you.. us a meal?" He asked as Juhyun came back to his side, she frowned and her nostrils flared up a little (which he found soooo adorable). "I. Uh. I suppose it's fine..." she said softly. She realized she did not know how to reject him. 

As Changmin worked his magic in the kitchen, she felt herself feeling uncomfortable in her own home all of a sudden. It felt weird, to have a guy in her house and kitchen... and it felt... good?? She frowned at her own contradicting feelings, and found herself approaching the kitchen slowly. As thought she was suddenly aware of her own actions, she then decided that she would just stand by the kitchen door in silence to observe. "I am making porridge, my mom said that it is the best food to eat when you are sick," Changmin said with his back facing her - he felt her presence. This feeling is absolutely new to him and he honestly loved it; he loved the feeling of being so at home with her around in a kitchen. 

He turned to face her as he heard a soft giggle, and caught the beautiful sight of her smiling face that turned into a blush instantly as she realized his eyes on her. "I. Uh." Her eyes widened and were looking around frantically as he approached her and finally stood so close in front of her. He took in a deep breath, trying to take in that unique scent of hers as much as he could. He decided that he should take this step forward, and laid his forehead against hers. They looked into each other's eyes deeply for the first time... and he felt the strong urge to hold her and kiss her, but decided against it. "Dinner is served, my lady," he said with a smile, and stepped away from her. Juhyun felt her face flush and so warm that she excused herself to the bathroom awkwardly. Changmin smiled to himself at her reaction, he felt relaxed and happy that she finally was opening up to him after so long. 

In the washroom, Juhyun sat down on the toilet and tried to process what just happened as she fanned herself; as though it would help to cool her face down. She felt so different from any other days, and wondered if it was okay for her to feel this... When suddenly, the flashbacks of the conversation between the girls in the washroom came back; she felt cold immediately, and tears formed in her eyes instantly. "Why?" she asked herself softly. Then stood up to go outside, anger overwhelming her. 

Tears were b as she saw how he looked so comfortable in her house, setting up the table for their dinner that he cooked. "Why?" This time she asked louder, and it definitely caught his ear as he stopped what he was doing to look at her. "Why are you doing this if you are only here to play with my feelings and then dump me in a while?" she asked, tears now falling while she looked straight into his eyes. He was confused and shocked at the same time. His mouth opened and closed, trying to process what to say.

"What do you mean to play with your feelings...? I... never intended to..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter