Chapter 8

Tears of an Angel

"Would you like some coffee?" The man asked us as he motioned to two chairs in the small office beside the main church area. To the side of the chairs and desk was a small couch.

"No thanks." I waved my hand a little as I sat down, keeping an eye on Jungsoo as he very slightly wobbled a bit settling into the chair next to me.

The man grabbed three small paper cups and filled them with water from the water fountain in the corner then sat down in front of us. "I had a curious feeling that I'd see you again." He chuckled and handed Jungsoo one of the cups.

"I guess I had a similar feeling." Jungsoo nodded politely and took the cup.

"Oh?"

"When I saw your church...I wanted to go inside."

"Very interesting." The man leaned forward. "It certainly has been a while."

"When was the last time you saw him?" I asked.

"Let's see...about one year ago." The man thought and nodded. "That's right. I remember the weather was a little cold like now and you were sitting outside this church with no sweater or...nothing." The man cleared his throat.

My eyes rose. "You found him like that?!"

The man nodded. "There were a couple other staff members with me at the time and we took him in, but not easily at first." The man looked at Jungsoo. "You were extremely upset and fought us a little bit. We tried asking you questions, like where you came from and your name, but you kept shouting that you didn't know."

Jungsoo stared at the man silently.

"After some time we were able to convince you that we weren't going to hurt you and that there was food and warmth inside out church. We took care of you for around one week."

"What happened after that?" I asked quietly.

"He thanked us for being so kind and said he wanted to leave. When we asked him why, he said he wanted to look for something."

I stared down the man with wide eyes.

The man looked between the two of us. "I assume he succeeded?"

I slowly glanced at Jungsoo. He gaze slowly lowered and he didn't say anything.

"And now you came back." The man continued. "I'm pretty sure this isn't an accident."

A short scoff came out from me. "It's pretty obvious it's not an accident!"

The man nodded. "I had a feeling a year ago, but now I think I know exactly what you are."

Jungsoo slowly met the man's eyes.

"A seemingly myth of the unknown. A child of God who fell to Earth to become human. A fallen angel."

"Yeah we already figured that out." I put in.

The man's eyes rose. "Oh? Excellent!"

"It's not excellent!" I gave the man a shocked look. "He's in so much pain!"

The man nodded again. "Yes I'm aware. There is a reason why."

"Yes we know that reason too." I said through slightly gritted teeth. "Can you please offer us some kind of information that can actually help him?"

The man straightened up a little and took a sip of water. "The fate of a fallen angel isn't a bright one, as you probably know already. There really isn't much I can do at this point."

"But you helped him before!" My voice rose a little.

"Yes, I could provide him food and the warmth of our church, but that doesn’t change the fact that he doesn't have any memories of me or anything crucial in his current life."

"Then what can you do to help him remember more things? Isn't there some kind of therapy that can help?" I asked.

The man thought for a moment. "I could try one session of hypnotherapy. It might not guarantee satisfactory answers, but it works differently for everyone."

I glanced at Jungsoo. He glanced back at me a little wearily but nodded slightly. "Alright." I nodded at the man. "It's worth at least one try."

The man nodded. "I'll give you a few minutes to get comfortable. I'll be right back." He motioned to the couch to the side and left the room.

Me and Jungsoo stood up and moved toward the couch and Jungsoo slowly sat down on it.

"What is hypnotherapy?" He asked me.

"It's when you get in a really relaxed state of mind and the priest will ask you some questions."

"So it's like sleep talking?"

"Something like that, except you're not completely asleep."

He nodded and moved his feet over the armrest of the couch. He sighed a little as he rested his hands on his chest. I could tell he was pretty nervous.


"Don't be afraid. It's going to hurt or anything." I gently touched the top of his hand.

"Have you done it before?" He glanced at me.

"No...but I've seen other people do it and it doesn't hurt them." I recalled seeing some people cry while hypnotized, but decided not to mention that.

As some seconds of silence settled in the air, I kept my hand on top of his. He didn't try to move his hand and this made me really happy. It seemed like he was starting to accept my physical actions a bit more. Or at least I hoped.

When the door opened again, I moved my hand to my lap and watched the priest walk over to us.

The priest looked at me. "You can stay in the room, but any small movement could be heard by him in his hypnotic state. We need him to concentrate well, so please move to the other side of the room."

I agreed silently and stood up. I kept my gaze on Jungsoo as I moved away, trying to calm the nervous look in his eyes with a confident look in mine.

The priest knelt down at the side of the couch with a pleasant smile on his face. "Please don't be nervous. I promise everything will be okay. Once you wake up, we'll hopefully know a little bit more about your past."

Jungsoo let out a small breath as the priest held up a small lighter and clicked it on.

"Just look at the light." The priest said as he held the lighter up a little so it was above Jungsoo's face. "Don't think about anything else. Clear your mind and focus on the light."

Even from my slight distance away, I could see Jungsoo's fingers slowly fidgeting. I felt really bad and wanted to keep holding his hand.

After around thirty seconds, Jungsoo's fingers gradually stopped moving and his entire body became very still. I was very impressed as his face relaxed as well and his eyes started to lower slightly, as if focusing on the light was suddenly really difficult.

"In a moment I'll tell you to close your eyes. From there, listen to only my voice." The priest very slowly lowered the lighter. Jungsoo's eyes followed it, resulting in his eyes coming closer to closing.

"Close your eyes now." The priest snapped the opening back onto the lighter and the clicking sound echoed in the room.

It made my jump a little bit Jungsoo's eyes closed immediately without any kind of movement from the rest of his body.

"Now you are falling. You feel your body falling lower and lower without the ground to stop you. Continue to breathe and with every breath you take, you fall deeper and deeper."

It became hard for me to see if Jungsoo was breathing or not. His body was so still that I would think he died if I didn't know what was happening.

"Now you are floating." The priest continued. "Floating in an area of zero-gravity. Every part of your body is floating freely, untouched by any weight or concern."

Jungsoo made no movement or sound, but I could see a subtle look of peace on his face.

"Now I will ask you some questions. Please answer them freely and honestly. Do you understand?"

A very quiet hum came from Jungsoo's closed lips.

I leaned in a little, listening as much as I could.

"Are you feeling any pain right now?" The priest asked.

Jungsoo hummed again.

"Where?"

"...hand." Jungsoo muttered.

The priest looked at me and I shook my head quickly, trying to look clueless.

The priest slowly looked back at Jungsoo. "Describe the pain."

"...burning..."

"Is the burning like fire?"

"...yes..."

"Is it burning a lot? Does it make you feel very uncomfortable?"

"...yes."

I immediately felt ashamed and surprised at the same time.

"Have you felt this kind of burning pain before?"

"...yes."

"Where?"

"...my forehead."

 

The priest was silent for a moment. “…Why is that area burning?”

 

“…kiss…”

 

“Someone kissed you there?”

 

Jungsoo hummed softly.

 

I started to feel very nervous and shifted in my chair a little. The priest glanced at me for a moment before focusing back on Jungsoo.

 

“I want you to think back to as far as you can in your life. Before you met your friend, before you met me, everything behind all of that.” The priest continued.

 

Jungsoo was silent for a very long time and I saw his fingers slowly coil up and tighten around each other a little. His closed eyes also tightened a little and his shoulders rose in a sudden inhale of breath.

 

“Do you see something?” The priest asked.

 

“…y-yes.” Jungsoo’s voice faltered a little.

 

“Describe what you see.” The priest said.