Chapter 6

Tears of an Angel

Jungsoo’s face became very flustered and pink. “H-how could I answer that so easily?!”

 

“It’s a yes or no question.” I shrugged one shoulder.

 

“No it’s not! Especially if you want my answer to be truthful.”

 

“Then what is your truthful answer?” I sighed a little and straightened up a little.

 

He sat up slowly. “I…I still need more time. And some answers. Don’t you want answers too?”

 

“Of course I do! I just asked you for an answer to if you love me or not!” I exclaimed.

 

Jungsoo’s eyes narrowed. “I mean answers about who I am. Where I came from. Why I was just glowing a minute ago. I want to know why!”

 

I stared him down in silence for a couple seconds then nodded slightly. “Alright fine. Let’s focus on that.”

 

He sighed a little. “What even happened to you a minute ago? You became so…possessive.”

 

I could see some pink spots on his cheeks but the unhappy look in his eyes immediately made me felt embarrassed. “I-I’m sorry about that…I just…I’m sorry.” I lowered my head and rubbed my eyes. “I-I don’t know what came over me…I just…wanted you.”

 

He didn’t respond.

 

“…I missed you so much…and I didn’t want you to go away…so I just…” I shook my head and stood up. “I’m really sorry.”

 

“Where are you going?” he asked.

 

I glanced at him. “I’m going to bed. In my room.”

 

“But what about finding answers?” His eyes rose.

 

“Hyung, it’s almost two in the morning. None of the closest libraries around my house are open until noon. So when they open, then we can do a lot of research about your condition.”

 

Jungsoo was silent for a moment and then nodded slowly. “Alright.”

 

“If you want you can sleep in my bed. It’s more comfortable than the couch.” I moved my gaze to the ground.

 

“No, I’m okay here.” He said quietly.

 

“You sure?”

 

He nodded.

 

I nodded and went into my bedroom. Soon I came back out with an extra pillow and blanket and handed them to Jungsoo. “Here.”

 

He took them from me but didn’t lie back down. “Thanks.”

 

I nodded once.

 

The both of us stayed still for a moment, staring at each other a bit awkwardly. I cleared my throat and took a step back. “A-anyway, sleep well.” I started to turn back toward my room.

 

“…Youngwoon?”

 

His voice made me stop and glance at him a bit too eagerly. “Hm?”

 

His gaze slowly lowered and he didn’t say anything for a moment. I continued to look at him in silence.

 

“…I think…you should stay in here.” He said very quietly.

 

I blinked, completely surprised. “Huh?”

 

“That is…if I start glowing again…” He slowly met my eyes. “Then you can be close enough to bring me back like you did.”

 

“…right…yeah I can do that. Just let me get my pillow and blanket.” I motioned toward my room.

 

He nodded and moved his gaze back to the pillow and blanket resting in his lap.

 

As I picked up the pillow and blanket from my bed, I couldn’t hold in a small grin on my face. But as soon as I was back in the living room, I cleared my throat and made my face look neutral. Jungsoo was back to lying down and was looking up at the ceiling. To me he didn’t look very sleepy but at this time there really wasn’t anything we could do. Sleep really seemed like the only choice. As I settled down on the carpet next to the couch, another thought crossed my mind that would definitely take up time but I highly doubted he was willing to take part in it. I didn’t even know if I could really take part in it. I never did that kind of thing with a guy before and I only just started with kissing.

 

But I guess if I could kiss a guy, I could do other stuff too. It shouldn’t be that hard…

 

“Youngwoon?”

 

His voice snapped me out of my thoughts and my face immediately flushed pink. “Y-yeah?”

 

“…I’m not that sleepy.”

 

My face burned hotter. “O-oh?”

 

“Why do we have to wait until later to start finding answers? We have time right now.” He sighed a little.

 

All the hope from my face drained quickly. “Oh…well…maybe the information will require all of our attention and focus. So we should just sleep as much as we can because there’s nothing else to do.” I muttered, slowly turning onto my side.

 

“…okay.” He answered quietly and shifted a little on the couch.

 

I remained still, staring at the wall on the opposite side of me. Truthfully I didn’t feel very sleepy either. I wasn’t about to try to do something like kiss him again but the thought of it was the biggest thing keeping me awake. It was an addictive sensation and I couldn’t deny that I wanted to have kept going. His skin was so soft and warm even before it started to glow. I know I apologized for coming at him so passionately, but I knew that I wasn’t that sorry. I enjoyed it way too much.

 

And I saw it clearly in his eyes that he was enjoying it too, no matter how much he tried to hide it. He was begging me to continue the kisses....

 

 

 

 

 

After almost ten hours of on-and-off sleeping and hastily made coffee and ramyun for breakfast, we made our way to the closest library near my apartment and walked inside. After entering the research section of the tall building, the both of us immediately made our way toward the “Myth and Supernatural” shelves filled with many books of shapes and sizes.

 

“If we can’t find anything useful, I’ll ask the secretary.” I said quietly.

 

Jungsoo shook his head. “No, don’t.”

 

I gave him a look. “Why not?”

 

“Won’t she report it to the authorities or something?” He seemed nervous.

 

I blinked at him. “No, why would she do that?”

 

“I just don’t want to get taken away…” He looked down.

 

My eyes rose wider. “Where is this even coming from!?”

 

“Youngwoon, I’m…” Jungsoo glanced around them. There were some people looking at them annoyed because they were talking a bit loud in the quiet room. “I’m not normal, so we should make our research secret.”

 

I still didn’t fully understand this, but I agreed. “Fine, let’s look around.” I moved my gaze toward the books at my side and skimmed through the titles. He did the same and after five minutes, the both of us moved toward one of the open library tables with several books in our arms.

 

“Find anything good?” I glanced at his pile as I set mine down.

 

“We’ll find out.” He answered and sat down.

 

We took about five to ten minutes each glancing through the books we found and looking up content about angels.

 

“Look here.” I pointed to one passage in one of the books. “’In some situations, an angel will rebel against God, become cast out of heaven, and become a tortured soul for the rest of eternity. Such a being is known as a Fallen Angel.’”

 

Jungsoo slowly leaned in a little to follow along the words I was reading.

 

“’Fallen angels make the decision to rebel against God based on one of a few reasons: they discover the human emotion of love and want to nurture it or maybe they grow tired of their immortal lives and want to experience the fleeting and more experiential life of an immortal. In either way, fallen angels indeed become immortal but their physical and spiritual statuses gradually get worse over time.’” I slowly glanced at Jungsoo.

 

He was staring down at the page with an expression I couldn’t read well.

 

I slowly looked back down and continued reading. “’The fallen angel will experience periods of immense physical and spiritual pain and both become bigger and bigger issues as the fallen angel continues to live a immortal life. In some cases, fallen angels came become deaf, blind, and even mentally unstable.’” This was getting really hard for me to read but I bit my lip and continued. “’Their frames get weaker and their will to live starts to dwindle. However the saddest part of the fallen angel’s immortal life is that the duration it is drawn out. The fallen angel is not given a quick and peaceful death. Depending on the reason of the banishment from heaven, the fallen angel’s death will differ in intensity, but will result in the same destination after death: Hell.’”

 

An eerie silence covered us as I paused to take in a couple breaths. I was trying to blink away some sudden tears that decided to enter my eyes without my permission.

 

“Don’t read anymore.” Jungsoo said quietly.

 

“No there might be a way to save you.” I said quickly and sniffed a couple times, pulling myself together quickly. “’Sadly there is no definite way to stop the fallen angel from meeting its death, because it has become immortal. However if the fallen angel has found love, then in theory, it might be enough to make the pain less intense or even take it away completely. Love is known to be extremely powerful, connecting souls and making one feel complete. There have been no cases of love saving a fallen angel completely, but some people refuse to believe that it’s completely hopeless.’” I flipped the page. The content was for another mythical creature.

 

“So that’s it…I’m going to die slowly and painfully.” Jungsoo said very quietly.

 

I looked at him. He was staring at the book with nothing but pain in his eyes. I could see water welling up in them.

 

“Didn’t you hear the last part I read? There’s a way to save you from this!” I exclaimed a little, ignoring the glances from other people around us.

 

“You honestly think something simple as love is going to save me?”

 

I opened my mouth but didn’t say anything.

 

He sighed. “You do believe it.”

 

My face flushed a little and I looked down. “Even if it’s the only source of hope I have…I’m not letting it go.”

 

Jungsoo slowly stood up. “Just forget it, Youngwoon.” He left the table and started toward the exit.

 

I jumped up and ran over to him, grabbing his upper arm. “Hey, where are you going?!”

 

“I don’t know, but it’s better than here.” He sounded extremely upset as he pulled away from me and left through the library doors.