Chapter Two

Nightly

 

“As expected you’ll buy it.”

 

“So what’s the stake?” he asks.

 

“If you lose, you’ll tell your problem. If I do...” you think of a thing but his eyes gleam like I-have-a-better-idea.

 

“You’ll tell me a secret, you’ve been always afraid to tell.” He blabbers all of a sudden.

 

“Huh?”

 

 “This is just for fun. Don’t need to be serious.” He flashes a smile, convincing you.

 

You roll your eyes. “Fine.”

 

You call for the attention of one of your waiters. In a moment, the waiter gives a tray with ten shot glasses of tequila.

 

“So, how’s the mechanics.”

 

“We’ll toss this coin up to five times,” you show him the coin from your pocket. “One will toss this and the other one will guess. Then, whoever has the wrong guess will take two shots. The person who has the more correct guesses wins.”

 

“Interesting.”

 

“So, I’ll take the first guess?” you initiate.

 

“Sure.”

 

 “First toss…” he gestures waiting for your guess.

 

“Head.” A lump rises and swells in your throat as he shoots his eyes on yours.

 

He tosses the coin, catches it with his right hand, and taps it on the table.

 

“It’s head,” he said then sighs. After witnessing the obverse of the coin, you chuckle and give a smug one-sided smile. He takes the two shot of tequila one after another without any utterance.

 

You take the coin from the top table. His grin becomes a full and wide smile.

 

“Head,” he says while scratching his forehead with his index finger.

 

You also do what Min Hyuk did a while ago. You flip the coin but you tap it against your both palms instead.

 

The coin rests in your left palm while your right palm covers it. Pulling your right hand, you reveal the coin. Both of you lean closer to the sight of the coin. You twitch your lips involuntarily.

 

“Nah,” he presses his right palm on his eyes at his frustration. The coin is on its reverse side which is tail.

 

“Yah, the coin is always in your favor. Looks like you love this kind of defeat.”

 

“You’re just lucky. Isn’t it?”

 

Yes, let’s see that way Min Hyuk.

 

“Head or tail?” you ask with eagerness.

 

“Tail.”

 

You toss the coin once more. But what surprises you is that the coin appears on its tail side.

 

“Ommo!” you let out. You didn’t expect this would turn tables. He puts the two shot glasses near you and his smile grows wider. You take the first shot of glass. As expected, you didn’t love its taste but its spirit draws you. Then you exhale, as if you’re plunging to a pool before taking the second glass.

 

“Well at least it’s your first defeat.” He mulls over.

 

“Are you raising your white flag now?” you conceitedly joke.

 

“Who said?” he grumbles. “We will still find it out.”