Chapter 4

Never Ending Misunderstandings

 

a/n: I made a minor change on the foreword, please reread it. ;)

 


Chapter 4

 

It was a peaceful Sunday morning at the Kim's. Mr. Kim, Mingyu and Yeri were in the dining room eating breakfast. It was unusually quiet, just the sound of  spoons and plates clanking was heard. Mr. Kim cleared his throat and wiped his mouth using a napkin.

"Yeri-ah, do you like your new school?" He asked. Yeri gulped down her food and nodded, smiling assuringly at her father. "I really like it there," she answered truthfully. Mingyu, who was sitting in front of her, smiled knowingly.

Her father sighed in relief. "That's really good to hear. But tell us if anyone annoys you, okay? Don't keep quiet about it." Yeri nodded again and then continued to eat. "And how about you son? Is it hard to cope with the study? You know, since it's different from the U.S's," he chuckled and patted his son's back.

"I am your smart son," Mingyu boasted. "There's nothing I can't do." Their father laughed at his over confidence and nodded in approval. "Of course, of course. Who raised this smart kid?"

"Our superman!" Both Mingyu and Yeri happily chorused together. The family of 3 laughed out loud.

 

Seungcheol caught a cold today morning. That stupid kid left the fam and the air conditioner in his room open until morning. And that caused Seunghee to wake up at 7 in the weekend because her Mom forced her to go home to get some medicines and soup for his babyboy.

"Mom, Seungcheol isn't hypothermic. He just has cold!" Seunghee told her worried mother, who was putting various kinds of cold medicines in a plastic bag. Her mother clicked her tongue and told her to shut up.

Rolling her eyes, the girl left the kitchen and headed straight to the living room to watch some TV. An hour later, her Mom came out from the kitchen with a plastic bags and two bottles of chicken soup.

"Tell Seungcheol to eat two tablets of this after drinking the soup, okay?" Her mom said, pointing at a red box which Seunghee assumed was the medicine. "And here's some freshly made kimchi for you kids. Your grandma and I just made it yesterday." She then handed them all to Seunghee.

The girl nodded in understanding but soon complained. "But how am I going to carry all these?! It's very far and I don't think I'm strong enough!" Her mom tsked and slapped her . "Stop complaining! Besides, it's only a 10-minute walk from here. Don't make me sound like a bad mother here."

Scowling, she carried all the stuff her Mom gave her and bid her goodbye before going out of her Mom's house. Just as she locked the gate, she saw Mingyu coming out from a house just across her mom's. She widened her eyes. He lives in this neighbourhood?! Wait, no! HE LIVES ACROSS MOM, DAD AND GRANDMA?!

Mingyu was surprised to see Seunghee across his house. Curious, he crossed the road and greeted her.

"I thought you live 10-minute-walk from here?" He asked. "Here, let me help you carry those," he offered as he saw her carry many stuff.

MINGYU IS CASUAL CLOTHES. I CAN'T. Seunghee, you need to get a hold of yourself! Don't faint! Don't faint! Her mind shouted. Mingyu was only wearing a plain gray sweater and a pair of blue pants but Seunghee already found it smoking hot. Not to mention that he had bangs today!

Pulling herself together, she smiled gratefully and thanked him. She swore she was turning into a bipolar. Not 15 seconds ago was she spazzing about his hotness and now here she was already smiling and talking to him so casually.

"My parents live here," she answered his previous question. "Seungcheol didn't tell you?"

Mingyu shook his head. "We've been pen friends for years but all we talked about was basketball and games. Well, he told me a lot about you in the past," he said, both of them starting to walk.

Seunghee made a face. "He must've badmouthed me, right?" The grayish-blue haired boy nodded and laughed.

The way he laughed was really cute, Seunghee noticed.

"I heard from Seungcheol himself that he got sick," he said.

"Yep, and all of these are for him," Seunghee said. "I swear my Mom treats me unfairly. When I was sick, she was never this worried."

She randomly kicked a pebble and it went in a hole. Seunghee made an 'Assa!' while pumping her fist in the air. Mingyu watched her silently with a smile forming on his lips.

Ten minutes passed really quickly when walking with Mingyu. Seunghee didn't even realize they had arrived at her house until Mingyu told her.


"Yah!" A girl's high-pitched reached both Mingyu and Seunghee's ears. Seunghee apologized to Mingyu about Irene's yell and asked him to be comfortable like he owned this house before going in the kitchen.

"What took you so long?!" Irene, in her famous pink apron, complained with her hands on her hips.

Placing the stuff that her mom gave on the kitchen counter, Seunghee smacked the latter's back to shut her up.

"Mingyu is outside, you moron!" She hissed and Irene immediately covered . "Why didn't you tell me earlier?!" She whispered loudly.

 

Seunghee scoffed in disbelief. "You were practically yelling at me just when I arrived here!"

"Oh, right. Whatever," Irene waved it off and ran to stir the porridge she was making. Seumghee went back to the living room and told Mingyu to go see Seungcheol in his room.

"You already know which his room is, right? And don't catch his virus too!" She joked. Mingyu made an okay sign and laughed before going upstairs to see his friend.

"Oh wow. Look at that face. Ew!" Irene commented right after Seunghee came back to the kitchen, smiling. Seunghee immediately dropped her smile, her usual dumb face was back on. "What? What?!"

"You two are often seen together these days," Irene raised her brow playfully and crossed her arms, leaning on the counter.

"God loves to see us together," the other girl stuck her tongue out at the latter and put her Mom's kimchi box inside the fridge.

Irene rolled her eyes, switching off the stove as the porridge was already cooked. "But really, how? You're not stalking him, are you?"

"Wha—I’m not!" Seunghee retorted. "We just ran into each other!"

"Pssh," her best friend snorted. "'Just ran into each other'," she air-quoted with a mocking tone. The latter raised her hands desperately.

“I swear to God, Joohyun. Don’t make me—ugh. He lives across my parents’ house, okay? And we met when he came out of his house.”

Irene nodded in understanding, but soon widened her eyes. “Wait, you mean that extravagant huge house?!”

“Yeah, that one..,” Seunghee pauses. “WE ALWAYS ADMIRED WHEN WE WERE KIDS?”

Then, Irene laughed loudly, causing the other girl to look at her in confusion.

“That means he’s a son of a rich family,” she said.

“Yeah, so?”

“You have no chance in dating him,” Irene remarked. “He’s out of your league, Seunghee. And maybe he’s already in an arranged marriage with someone in his level.”

 

“I thought arranged marriage only existed in dramas,” she finally said.

“Exactly,” said Irene. “It isn’t called life if it isn’t full of dramas.”

Seunghee went silent after that. What Irene said was right, but she didn’t want to admit it. Sure, her family was wealthy, but not as rich as Mingyu’s. But did it matter? Wealth has nothing to do with love, right?

 

Seeing her best friend all quiet, Irene snapped her fingers at her face. “Hey, I’m just joking.” She chuckled awkwardly.

Irene only intended to play with her, but it seemed like she had gone too far.

“I don’t know whether he’s s rich kid or not, so you ask him later. Jesus Christ, Seunghee, don’t cry!” she panicked as Seunghee started to wipe her eyes.

 

“Boo!”  Seunghee peek-a-booed and laughed so hard that she rolled on the floor. “You should’ve seen you face! I was wiping your spit off my face you know. Ugh, your saliva,” she playfully grunted in disgust.

The poor girl blinked her eyes several times before turning them in a glare and hit Seunghee in the face.

“What the , you !—no , I said the ‘b’ word!” Irene growled in annoyance before face-palming herself.

“Hah! You said the ‘b’ word! 10.000 won, please!” Seunghee smirked and took out her hands, telling Irene to pay. The poor girl sighed exaggeratedly and unwholeheartedly placed 10.000 won from her pocket on Seunghee’s right palm.

 

“I really thought you cried,” said Irene, taking off her pink apron and hanging it on a random cupboard handle. Then, she walked out of the kitchen and sat down on the white sofa in the living room, cooling herself.

Seunghee shrugged. “I just want to troll you. Besides, I’ve just known him for only a week, so him having a girlfriend or a fiancé won’t hurt me,” she paused and switched on the TV. “so bad.”

“Don’t come wailing about it to me when that happened,” Irene warned as she placed her legs on top of Seunghee’s.

The girl ignored her best friend’s comment and told her something big that she forgot to tell.

“By the way, our school soccer team will have a match against SM High School this March.”

Irene tore her gaze away from the screen and stared at Seunghee. The latter shrugged and chuckled awkwardly.

“Let me guess, it’s them who requested this match, right?” Seunghee nodded. “That ,” Irene grumbled under her breath.

“Well, just ignore her—if she shows up—and be careful. You injured your arm last time. You know how they play,” said Irene, patting Seunghee’s back.

“Do you think she’s planning something evil? I mean, why all of sudden? I’ve had enough of her from 2 years ago.”

Irene thought of the past and smiled sadly. They indeed went through a lot that time. “If she decides to bring you down again, fight her this time. Don’t let the same mistake happen twice.”

“But,” said Seunghee timidly. “People in scho—”

Irene sat up straight. “Shush, you have me, Wendy, Seungcheol and Yeri. Or should I say Mingyu?” she playfully wiggled her eyebrows, teasing the latter.

Seunghee laughed and hugged her tightly.

She was thankful. Really, really thankful to have a best friend like her.

 

 

 

“Do you like my sister?” Seungcheol asked all of sudden. That sudden question caused Mingyu to spill all of the water he was currently drinking. Chuckling, Seungcheol helped him by patting his back.

“You’ve been asking about her for the past 20 minutes since you came here, so do you?”

Mingyu cleared his throat before answering his question. “I like her, but not that like like—you get what I mean?”

Seungcheol sent him a teasing look and the latter gave up.

“Okay, fine. But instead of like, I’m kinda attracted to her,” Mingyu admitted.

“To a dork like her? Gosh, what do you find attractive in her?” Seungcheol scowled. It wasn’t like he wasn’t happy about Mingyu attracted to his twin sister, he just found it unbelievable as his sister was nothing but a disaster. Well, for him.

“She’s not a dork,” Mingyu scrunched his nose. “I don’t know,” he answered honestly.

Seungcheol sneezed.

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“Something in her attracts me, but I can’t pinpoint what it is,” Mingyu said.

Seungcheol rolled his eyes. “You’re as complicated as my sister. That’s why you guys click. But whatever, I think she likes you too.”

Mingyu smiled.

 

“That, I know it already.”