Chapter 2

Never Ending Misunderstandings

Chapter 2

 

Opening her eyes slowly, Seunghee rubbed them briefly while trying to sit up from the bed she was currently laying on. Wait, bed?! She widened her eyes suddenly, eyes on reflex scanning the room. Oh, I'm in the school's infirmary. There wasn't anyone in the room, just her alone.

She checked her watch on her wrist, 2:57 pm it read. The school bell must have rung, she thought. 

Just as she got up from the bed, the door suddenly opened, revealing a very worried Irene with Yeri on her back.

Seeing her woken up friend, Irene rushed to Seunghee, checking if she was okay. 

"I'm fine, Joo," Seunghee chuckled and gave Yeri a wave, acknowledging her presence. 

"You got me so worried there, Seunghee! Even Seungcheol was so taken aback that he left his friends and rushed to you when you fainted," Irene said. "Just what did you see at the canteen earlier? It's like you've seen a ghost or something! Jesus, Seunghee! I'm-"

Irene's rant came to a halt as someone suddenly barged in the room and shouted like crazy. "CHOI SEUNGHEE! Are you okay? You're not dead, right, right? Right?!" The said girl asked with her usual so powerful voice that Irene, Yeri and Seunghee had to cover their ears. 

"I'm fine, guys. Really and no, Irene. I didn't see a ghost or s like that," her friends sighed in relief. "But instead, I saw an angel there!" Seunghee said enthusiastically, her inner fangirling self coming out. 

Irene, Wendy and Yeri stared at their friend like she was out of her mind. 

"That's it, Seunghee. I'm calling your Mom," Irene said at last.


"He has a gummy smile, his body is very tall and lean, ugh! Definitely my type of guy! Gosh, Wenrene (that was what she called Wendy and Irene when they were together)! I'm going crazy! He's even better looking than Lee Min Ho," Seunghee blabbered on their way to Seunghee and Irene's house. Wendy followed along because she had nothing to do while as Yeri had already gone home as she had things to be taken care of.

"So you're telling me that you had a nosebleed and out because of a ing guy?" Wendy asked in disbelief. "Unbelievable!"

Seunghee sighed dreamily, it was as if she didn't hear what her best friend had said. Wendy slapped herself and made an exaggerated 'the ' face. Irene laughed at her friends' reactions.

They's finally arrived at the bus stop. Luckily for them, the bus had arrived the moment they came. Taking seats at the very back, the girls continued on chatting.

"Ah! The new student Jung seonsaeng mentioned earlier before, came after lunch break," Irene informed Seunghee, who was playing Don't Tap The White Tiles 2 on her phone. 

"Hmm?" She replied without taking her eyes off the phone.

"He's pretty similar to the guy you describe though," Irene tapped her chin thoughtfully. This made Seunghee quitted the game and looked at Irene with a very big smile. It was creepy actually.

"Wah! Really?! What's his name?!" Seunghee asked eagerly, sounding like a lovesick puppy. Wendy took this chance to grab Seunghee's phone from her hands and play the game.

"His name is Kim Mingyu, he came from America," Irene said. 

"Kim... Min..gyu?" Seunghee repeated his name dreamily. "What a beautiful name and face! Moreover, he's from America! Damn, his English must be y."

"But..," Irene trailed off, trying to tease Seunghee. "But, what?! Don't tell me he already has a girlfriend because I'm really gonna drown myself in Han River and haunt his girlfriend for the rest of her life!" Seunghee said, quite impatiently.

Irene rolled her eyes at her dramatic friend before continuing. "You still remember that time when we tease about Seungcheol's imaginary friend, right?"

Seunghee smiled at the memory, they were so close back then, they were too now, but high school life was never easy so they rarely spent some time together. "Yeah, I remember him telling the whole neighborhood that he had a friend from America and us teasing him that his friend wasn't real," she laughed. "He was very pissed that time. Why all of sudden?" She raised a brow.

"Apparently, that new student is your brother's pen friend for 10 years now," Irene said. "He really existed, Seunghee."

"Whaaaat? No way! There can't be such coincidence," Seunghee waved her hand and opened the cap of her bottle, juggling some down. "I'm telling the truth, you moron!" Irene hit her shoulder, making the latter wince in pain. 

"Jeez, woman," Seunghee grumbled while rubbing her shoulder. "You're just like my Mom! Fine, I believe you," she said with an eyeroll. She sighed.

Seungcheol would make things difficult for her to get closer to that handsome guy. 

"You seriously like that guy?" Irene seriously asked. "You know the whole school doesn't like you, me and Wendy, right? People might just spread some false rumors about you and he will think you as nothing but weird and annoying! And don't tell me about that love at first sight bull because it doesn't ing exist!"

"Whoa, whoa. Chill, Joo," Seunghee laughed. "Why are you so worked up? Anyway, Irene. I just find him attractive, that's all," she smiled and looked outside the window for a split of second. She then turned to Irene again and smirked. " what people say about me, I don't give a damn. I never do and I never will. But if he really thinks of me like that, let him be. There's nothing to change about me. I am who I am, nobody else and if he doesn't like me, then I'll make him like me," she winked at Irene, who only chuckled and shook her head at her best friend's determination. 

Irene was worried about her best friend of 16 years. If Seunghee started chasing the new guy, Irene was a thousand percent sure that the hatred towards Seunghee would quadruple. Why? Seunghee was Seungcheol's sister. Seungcheol was Kim Mingyu's friend. Seunghee was pretty, well this was a plus actually. Anyways, those stupid girls at school would of course shoot laser eyes and do bad things to her, knowing she had a good chance to get Mingyu. 

Irene promised herself to protect Seunghee when that happened, just like how she did it 2 years ago. She glanced at her best friend who was now laughing with Wendy over a ridiculous picture and sighed. I wish I could protect you even better than last time, Seunghee-ah.

 

Seunghee and Wendy were sprawled on the living room floor, playing car racing video games while Irene was in the kitchen preparing some snacks for the three of them. School has just started today, so there wasn't any homework given. 

"Yes, I won again mothera!" Wendy shouted in English and started dancing the victory dance. Seunghee frowned at her sudden change of language.

"I'm not a model polka! What's the hell is 'model polka' anyway?!" Seunghee slapped her friend's . Wendy stuck her tongue out and continued the victory dance. "You gotta try harder next time, babe," Wendy said again in English. 

Seunghee rolled her eyes and huffed loudly. She thought Wendy was insulting her since she didn't understand English so well. She wasn't bad at it, it was just that Wendy talked so fast like a freaking train. 

"Stop that English of yours! I don't care I want a rematch!" Wendy stopped her dance and smirked at Seunghee, sitting down and taking a hold of the controller. "Oh boy, you're so gonna go down. Bring it on, baby!"

Irene came back with a big bottle of coca cola and 5 bags of Lays' seaweed flavoured chips. She placed them on the table and watched them play. But then she remembered that she had forgotten something so she went to her room to take it.

Seunghee threw the controller on the sofa as the screen wrote 'peterpan's girl wins'. 

"Hah! I won again! No one can beat Peterpan's Girl! No one!" Wendy yelled and did the victory dance again.

Thirsty, hungry and annoyed, Seunghee opened a bag of chips and ate some. Feeling tired from all the dancing, Wendy crashed on the sofa and pour some coke on a cup for her to drink. "This...is..tiring," she panted and gulped it all down. "But I'm happy you can't beat me!" She winked.

The loser threw some chips on her face.

 

Ding dong.

Seunghee dumbly turned her head to look at the door. Was that her doorbell? She didn't even  know she had one! 

Ding dong. It rang again. 

Who could it be? Seungcheol? Aish that kid. Why does he keep forgetting to take his own keys?! Seunghee groaned. 

"The door won't open itself if you keep staring at it, loser. Go open it!" Wendy commented before disappearing to the bathroom.

Seunghee glared at the latter and then unwholeheartedly went to open the door. "Damn it, Seungcheol. Why are you such a pain- holy Mother of God!" She immediately clasped her hand on when she took a look at the person who rang the doorbell. Why the hell is he here?! Why?! And why is he so charming?! She mentally screamed in her head. 

As the guy said hi to her, she couldn't take it anymore. Her ovaries just exploded. 

Mingyu awkwardly smiled at the girl in front of him, who went completely still. She must be Seungcheol's sister, the one who fainted earlier. He thought. Their faces look almost the same. Of course they are, you stupid, they're twins.

Seeing no reaction from her, Mingyu tried to introduced himself to her. But just as he started, he saw some blood dripping from her nose. And the next thing he knew, the girl fainted again in front of him. He was of course freaked out to death. He didn't even do anything to her! 

Hearing a loud thud, Wendy ran to the front door only to see a collapsed Seunghee in a boy's arms. 

"I swear I didn't do anything!" The boy immediately said, panicking as he saw a girl in the same uniform as him came out.

Irene went down from her room upstairs when she heard a doorbell. "Who's tha- Whoa, Choi Seunghee!" She shrieked.

Wendy brought Mingyu, who was lifting Seumghee, to the living room. Mingyu laid the girl down on the sofa. Irene handed some tissues to wipe the blood stain on his brand new uniform. The latter thanked her and awkwardly wiped his uniform. 

Awkward silence.

"So, um, how-"

"I'm home! Irene!" Seungcheol suddenly entered the house. He let Mingyu go to his house first because he saw a cat stuck on the top of a tree. "Has my friend- What- Hey, Seunghee-ah!" 

"She's not up until now?" He asked Irene, throwing his bag on another sofa. 

Irene shook her head. "She was still alive until 2 minutes ago, when Mingyu-ssi came," she said as she pointed at Mingyu. The latter shook his head furiously and said, "I didn't do anything!"

Irene chuckled at this. "Yes, you didn't," she said. "By the way, I'm Joohyun, Bae Joohyun. But you can call me Irene," she offered her hand for him to shake. 

Mingyu kindly shook her hand and introduced himself too. "Mingyu, Kim Mingyu. Nice to meet you, Irene." He then looked at Wendy.

"Wendy," the girl, who was sitting on the floor and glaring at him, shortly said. Wendy didn't like this guy at all. He smelled 'RIVAL' all over him. Moreover, he came from America so that meant there would be another English speaker except her and the teacher would not praise her anymore!

Mingyu inwardly furrowed his eyebrows, but awkwardly smiled at her. What's wrong with her?

Seungcheol was about to rub about the existence of his pen friend at Irene's face when Seunghee suddenly groaned. 

"Oh, you're up?" Irene said. "You seriously need to calm your , Seunghee. Control," she chuckled. Seunghee only grumbled and rubbed her head.

"My baby!" Wendy exclaimed, squeezing Seunghee's cheeks like a goldfish. Mingyu gave her a look. "What?" She snapped and Mingyu pretended to look at the TV in interest.

"Control what?" Seungcheol butted in. Don't tell me she has a disease but she keeps it as a secret!

"None of your business, poop," Seunghee answered instead. Mingyu chuckled.

She stiffened when she heard a guy's chuckle. Oh , he's not here, right? It was all just a dream! She looked up and saw the handsome guy standing 1 meter away from her. She felt like fainting again.

But when she noticed the blood stain on his uniform, she inwardly cursed herself. He must be thinking I am weird so that's why he laughed!

"You ungrateful brat! I was worried about you and thia is what I get?" Seungcheol snorted in disbelief. "Come on, Mingyu. Let's just go to my room! I have a lot to show you," he excitedly said before disappearing to his room.

Seunghee blushed really hard, which didn't go unnoticed by her two best friends. Irene was already secretly laughing her off as if mocking gotcha while Wendy was glaring at Mingyu for the whole time. 

"Nice to meet you, Seunghee," he said and gave her a smile, bowing lightly as he followed Seungcheol upstairs to his room. 

He smiled at me! Why'd you do that?! Seunghee didn't even know she wasn't breathing that Irene had to smack the back of her head to bring her back from her own thoughts. 

"Earth to Seunghee, hello!! He's not here anymore!" Irene yelled. 

"Ow, Joohyun!"

 

Wendy, who had been quiet for quite some time, finally laughed out loud. 


That night, Seunghee wrote her events on her diary before going to sleep.

 

 

#Entry 008

 

I had a nosebleed today! Twice! And I out too! Twice! Gosh, why is he gotta be that handsome!!!! I don't know anymore!! I, Choi Seunghee, vowed to make that Kim Mingyu guys as mine!