Chapter 1

Never Ending Misunderstandings

Chapter 1

 

"GOD DAMN IT, IRENE! WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT POURING ME WATER WHEN I'M ASLEEP?!" The messy-haired girl barked and glared at the culprit, who was half-laughing and half-peeing on her pants.

"But you wouldn't wake up after that 6 alarm clocks ringing like crazy, why did you set up your alarm clock if you couldn't even hear it! Not to mention that you set 6 ing alarm clocks! I had no choice but to wake you up with water or else we'll be late," the culprit named Irene or usually called Joohyun by the victim defended and slapped her best friend's , ushering her to wake up. She left after nagging like her Mom. The latter grumbled in irritation and went back to sleep, ignoring the wetness of her hair and pillow.

"Yah, Choi Seunghee!" Irene yelled from downstairs. Seunghee sighed and woke up at last, not wanting to feel Irene's wrath early in the morning.

 

Irene, Seunghee and Seungcheol, Seunghee's twin brother, lived together at a house which Irene's and Seunghee's parents bought for the three of them. Seunghee, Seungcheol and Irene had been best friends since they were in diapers. Well, except for Seunghee and Seungcheol. There was always a ing war whenever they met. Like this one time when Seunghee coughed, Seungcheol would either imitate, laugh, or even snap at her. Or, when Seunghee was asked to distribute papers by the teacher, she wouldn't forget to smack his head with that stack of papers as a payback for whatever sin Seungcheol has commited to her. But they always teamed up whenever it was to prank someone or help someone.

To cut it short, they were like Tom and Jerry with Seungcheol being Jerry. He was the one who always seeked trouble first. But thankfully, they had a mother inside the house who always stopped them from spitting each other's face. Irene really had the motherly figure in her.

"I think Mom should bring you see the doctor," was the first snarky comment Seunghee received when she first stepped into the dining room. She rolled her eyes and sat in front of him. 

"The same goes to you, S.COUPS," she retored while emphasizing his nickname. "Where'd you get that nickname anyway? It sounds stupid and weird, but it suits you though," she added and smiled innocently as she spread some peanut butter jam on her bread.

"It's not! Stop molesting my nickname, you poop! You're just jealous that nobody gives you a nickname!" He talked back, sticking his tongue out at his twin. Seunghee placed the knife she was holding on the table before glaring at the boy. "Who are you calling poop?! I'm so gonna tell Mom about how you treat your noona!" She smirked and crossed her arms, challenging him. 

"Go ahead! Mom loves me more than you. And bleh, you're just 2 minutes older than me. Never in my life will I call you noona." he shivered exaggeratedly and smirked back at her. Seunghee's smirk was wiped off and replaced with Ursula's face when she was mad. "Come here you! You piece of--"

"Guys," Irene finally showed up. "Can yiu stop fighting for once?" She tiredly asked even though she already knew the answer. She had just grooming herself after making breakfast. Seunghee sighed heavily and pointed accusingly at her twin brother. "But this kid--" "--is getting on my nerves, I get it, Seunghee. Just ignore him," Irene shoved a piece of bread inside Seunghee's mouth. "Let's eat peacefully and then go to school, hm?" 

Seunghee sulked and gave her middle finger to the now laughing-evilly Seungcheol.


"I wish I'm not in the same class as that dickhead!" Seunghee silently whispered, chanting it like a mantra. She and Irene were looking for their names in the school bulletin board.

When Irene spotted her name and Seunghee's, she squealed like crazy, earning light glares from the students around her. She didn't even apologize as she marched towards Seunghee's body and shook it. 

"Seunghee!!! We're in the same class! Again!" She exclaimed happily. Seunghee, who had been closing her eyes for quite some time, immediately screamed and jumped on Irene, forgetting about Seungcheol for a moment. "Really?! Oh my God, Joo! I know we're both meant for each other!" "Not just we, honey. Seungcheol too!" 

Just like that, Seunghee's megawatt smile turned into a deep scowl.


"Good morning, everyone! You all must have known me, right? So I'll just skip the introduction. I'm your homeroom teacher and English teacher for the rest of your year here. I'm still single but I'm not old," Seunghee snorted at this. Why was she so random? Unfortunately, Ms. Jung heard her and called her name. "Is there anything funny, Choi Seunghee?" She asked quite wickedly. Seunghee rolled her eyes and shook her head. Gah! She hated this teacher a lot mlre than she hated her twin brother. Why was she stuck with this dramatic teacher in her last year of high school?

Irene, who was sitting beside Seunghee, gave her a small laugh and shook her head. Seungcheol, on the other hand, kick her chair from behind.

Yes, yes. Seungcheol was sitting behind her. Seunghee sometimes wondered about why his brother liked to be close with her. Was he being protective over her? Seunghee immediately shook that thought far far away. What a nonsense! Horses would fly if he was!

As Ms. Jung continued rambling on the same rules thay were told every year, Seunghee turned to face her brother and gave him a hiss. "Don't bother me! That witch will always accuse me of starting this fight first!" She whispered to him, giving him a glare. 

"It can't be helped, Seunghee. She loves me," Seungcheol replied and winked at her. Seunghee pretended to puke. "Ew, do you guys perhaps have that forbidden teacher-student relationship? Because you're starting to be like her, Cheol." She rolled her eyes and turned back to face Ms. Jung back, not wanting to deal with him any longer or else she would explode. She didn't know how many times she had rolled her eyes that day.

"Actually today, there is supposed to be a new student here. Unfortunately, he had some things to take care of, so I will introduce him later on right after lunch break, 'kay? So, that's all for today and see you when I see you!" Ms. Jung finished with a chirpy tone and left the classroom, of course, after smiling meaningfully at Seungcheol. New student, huh. Seunghee thought.

"Did Jung seonsaengnim say that the new student's a he? Wah!! I hope he's a rich kid with overflowing handsomeness!" One of the girls in the class sighed dreamily. "I can't wait until lunch break!" Another one exclaimed. Seunghee inwardly snorted at them. Hah, they with their never ending fantasy.

"Bae Joohyuuuuuuuuuuuun!" Seunghee whined and slammed her head on her desk. "I want to transfer school!!!" Irene laughed and patted the latter's head. "I'm never going to graduate high school with good grades and clean reputation. Aish, that stupid teacher! Irene-ah, what am I going to do?" She continued to pathetically sob, shaking her best friend's shoulder.

"Just endure it, Seunghee. It's not that bad, I even think it's going to be fun," Irene said, already laughing. "Not that bad?! And fun?! Yah, Bae Joohyun! You really like to see suffer, don't you? Hah! Don't you dare talk to me until lunch break. Bye!" Seunghee snapped and turned the other side so she was facing Irene anymore. Irene could only chuckle at the latter's childish act. 

 

"I'm super hungry! Irene, let's go eat the whole canteen!" Seunghee looped her arms around Irene's and headed the canteen happily. Lunch break had come, a sea of hungry students hurrily went to the canteen to order food or else you wouldn't get nothing but an empty plate.

Irene went to buy food for the both of them while Seunghee went to find a seat for them, which was at the very corner. Irene wasn't Seunghee's only friend. She wasn't lonely, she wasn't popular either. Students only knew her because she was Seungcheol's twin sister. Seungcheol was actually really popular here, along with his basketball team members. 

To put it short, she wasn't lonely, she had few friends. Well, only 2 friends actually. Irene and Wendy. Girls at school didn't really like them because they were hyperactive and loud or maybe because one of them was really pretty (Seungcheol was perfection of course Seunghee was too). So, they always stayed an arm's length around them. Seunghee and her friends had that cheerful vibe around them, always flashing smiles. Many disliked them as they thought that they were very gossipy when in fact, all they talked about were debatable things like, proofs that fate depends on the Earth's gravity, or why smoking should be banned. 

But being the strong girls they were, they didn't care about what the students said and thought. Jealous pricks, that was what Seunghee called them.

Irene finally came back with two trays of food and a girl who Seunghee didn't recognize. The girl seemed younger than her and she was cute!

"Who's this?" Seunghee asked Irene, giving the unknown girl a friendly smile. Taking a seat in front of Seunghee, Irene gestured the new girl to sit beside her and replied Seunghee's question. "She's a new student here. 2 years younger than us. Greet her, you moron! Why are you smiling at her like a creepy e?" 

The new girl laughed shyly and placed her tray on the table. Seunghee side-eyed her best friend but immediately flashed the new girl a smile again and then, "Ahh, a junior! You're such a cutie! What's your name? I'm Seunghee, Choi Seunghee!" She introduced herself very cheerfully while pinching her both cheeks. The students sitting beside them gave them annoyed looks, not that Seunghee really cared.

"Uh... I'm Kim Y-Yerim. Everyone called me Yeri. Nice to m-meet you, e-eonni," the new girl named Yerim unsurely introduced herself and bowed her head, she was kinda afraid of this new eonni to be honest. Irene laughed and threw a tissue at Seunghee's face. "She's like that," she told Yeri. "She is out of her mind," she whispered, earning a small laugh from the latter. 

Seunghee made a face and began to eat her food. "Why did you move to SVTN High School anyway?" She asked Yeri, mouth full of food. Yeri laughed pretty loudly this time. She couldn't handle this eonni's crazy but cute character. Seunghee was of course taken aback, but laughed with her nevertheless. "I had a feeling we will get along reaaaally fine," Irene commented and laughed too.

"I moved here from America, so I'm sorry if my Korean isn't very good. The re-" "From America?!" Seunghee and Irene exclaimed at the same time. "It's okay, we have our friend Wendy, she comes from Canada. I'm sure she'd like to help you working on your Korean," Irene kindly offered which the latter accepted wholeheartedly.

"Speaking of her, I haven't seen her since this morning. Where's that girl...." Her words trailed off on Seunghee's ears because all she focused on was a very handsome tall guy standing at the entrance of the canteen. The way he laughed at his friends. The way his hair swayed side to side looking for a seat. She was....

"Seunghee, you have a nosebleed!" was all she heard before her vision went pitch black.