Freestyle

Dancing to His Rhythm

 

Seunghyun closed his eyes, letting the music fill his mind. He smirked, enjoying the buzz from the row of shots he had just downed. He had been bent on doing his homework, but then Seungri had called. There was dancing at clubs, that was kind of doing his homework, right? Dance major, he shook his head as he let the music move his body into all kinds of awkward poses. This semester was going to be hell. No, worse than hell. If hell was a badly executed musical, that would be his life.

He needed to forget his troubles, if just for tonight. He opened his eyes just enough to be able to scan the floor for hotties. He noticed Seungri a little ways off, already playing with a fish that had gotten caught in his net. Not a bad one either, not bad at all. It was a new face, which wasn't all that common on a Monday night. Lucky bastard. Judging by how tall, dark and handsome that guy was, Seunghyun was going to have to find someone to go home with for himself, if he didn't want to go home alone. Seungri was off to handsome-guy-land and wouldn't be back until at least the morning.

 

Giving up the search on the dance floor, not in the mood to recycle old conquests, he went to the bar to maintain the alcohol fog in which he was currently hiding. He didn't want to be found just yet.

“Wookie, give me a shot of the strongest stuff you have.” he asked the bartender, not able to hide the repressed despair that he was in.

“One of those nights, huh?” Dongwook noted. He wasn't only the bartender, he had become his friend. The club was like his second home, and Wookie felt like family. He was always there for him, ready to listen to whatever sob story he was stuck in, or raising a glass and rejoicing with him when he felt like he was on top of the world. He probably knew him better than anyone else on the planet, having been there for him through the whole grueling coming out process, sharing the lowest as well as the highest points of his life, the deepest valleys and highest mountains of his journey on this Earth. But lately he had started realizing that it was all a bit one sided. Dongwook was a pretty private person, not offering up any details about his personal life even when pressed for it. He took his role as bartender pretty seriously, or maybe he had something to hide. Whatever it was, Seunghyun respected his privacy, waiting patiently for the day when he would trust him enough to really let him in.

“Seven! Hit me with your special!!” a heavily intoxicated pretty boy yelled across the bar.

“Coming up!” Dongwook shouted back cheerfully, placing a shot in front of Seunghyun and sending him an encouraging wink before rushing over to wait on the drunkard. Dongwook was known to most in the club as Seven, for he could down seven different kinds of shots of the seven strongest liquors in the bar in seven seconds. And not pass out, mind you.

Seunghyun smiled to himself as his eyes followed Dongwook's quick hands as they smoothly prepared a line of seven shots. In the beginning he had had the biggest crush on him, never having the guts to actually ask him out. And then somewhere down the road his feelings had changed from curious attraction to love, but not the 'in love' kind, more like brotherly love. And that was how they had become family, at least in Seunghyun's eyes.

 

He started as he felt a familiar hand slide into his, pulling him onto the dance floor.

“Hey! What happened to the hottie you landed?!” he asked surprised, peering his eyes to focus better. Seungri's big, beautiful eyes were staring back at him. That was what had caught his attention in the first place, that fateful night when Seungri had somehow ended up in his bed. That little bratty player had a pair of the most charming eyes he had ever seen. It was part of what made him such a successful player, he could manipulate everyone and anyone to sleep with him with just the right look. Well, that, and his incredibly toned body, he thought as he chuckled to himself, pulling Seungri closer so he could really feel his presence. He ran his hand down his back, relishing the feel of how his back muscles moved beneath his fingers in a soft rhythm that followed the music perfectly. Seungri was the one that should be taking a dance degree, not him. He actually had talent.

“You win some, you lose some.” Seungri shrugged, not offering any further explanations, just burying his warm lips into the base of his neck. Seunghyun didn't push him to divulge anything further, in case he had gotten rejected for real. As big as his talk was, pretending he had the confidence of a thousand hunks, he was a total softie underneath, and even though he would never admit it himself, each time he got rejected, it burned and the fire made his insecurities boil up.

He closed his eyes and got lost in Seungri's scent as they danced the night away.

 

“.” Seunghyun muttered in a hoarse voice, sitting up in the bed, scanning the floor for his underwear. He was late. This was so not the day to be late. His head was pounding and he felt nauseous.

“Ya, babo-ya!” he gently nudged the Seungri beside him, bending down to give his cheek a soft kiss. “I'm off.”.

“Mmh.” Seungri grunted and rolled over to the other side, drawing the covers over his head.

 

Seunghyun swallowed with difficulty, before taking a deep breath. He was in the middle of a staring competition with the door to the classroom, and he was losing. He tried to convince himself that he could do this, but all he could think about was this burning desire to turn around and run. Run like he had never run before, not stopping until he was safely back home in his apartment. It was like elementary school all over again.

He couldn't remember how many times he had fled home back then, only to be escorted back by his mom. His teachers even tried hiding his shoes, but then he just ran barefoot, coming home with scratches all over the bottom of his feet without even realizing it. He had hated it that much at school. He never felt safe anywhere but home. And still didn't, come to think of it. Back then he had been overweight and far from reaching his own potential, he hadn't even realized yet what it was that made him stick out at school, like a sore thumb. Things were different now. He had come a long way and was actually proud of the person he was today, having finally accepted himself for who he was. Still, he wanted to run home so badly. But he wasn't a kid anymore. If he was going to be an actor, this was the only way. He had to do this. No matter what. Taking a deep breath, he put an invisible mask over his face and charged forward.

 

A random dance track started playing as he stood awkwardly before the entire class. A few of the students audibly swallowed a giggle. He slipped into the disguise of the comedian, using it as his armor, tricking a smile to show up on his lips. He had this. He started moving his body to the rhythm, shyly at first, but then putting more force into it. A pair of girls chuckled, many others looking like they were on the verge of losing the battle with their suppressed laughter that was fighting to get out. He decided to use it to his advantage. Confidently, he pulled out a couple of his secret weapon moves he regularly used at the club, going all out, not managing to keep track of what his limbs were doing, each one following its own weird pattern. People started laughing out loud, so he made the moves even more dramatic, more energetic and a thousand times sillier. In the end, the entire class was clapping along, laughing and woohoo-ing like there was no tomorrow. Success.