Ideals

The Killer's Portrait
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ideals

Now that the business of Jessica Jung, had, in Onew’s mind, been settled for the moment, it was time to turn to the next pieces of information. He addressed Key first. “A few days ago, you remarked upon the fact that you were certain you had painted Kim Minseok’s face before. Then, when Jonghyun, Taemin and I were searching the rooms, we found a picture of a woman who looked identical to him. I believe that was the face you painted – and I need you to uncover her identity for me.”

“Understood,” Key said, although his brow was furrowed slightly in confusion. No matter, Onew was certain he would understand it all quite soon enough.

To Taemin and Jonghyun, he stated that for the moment, he wanted them to carefully chart out all the information that had been given to them. Pay special attention to the timings of things, he added. Taemin appeared mildly disappointed by this, but warmed when Jonghyun clapped him on the back and said brightly that he couldn’t have asked for a better assistant, which made Taemin snort.

Truthfully, Onew was aware he was simply giving them busy work, but the nature of the next person to question required a delicate hand, and too many people might cause the person to hold their guard. At the same time, he needed someone of an altogether more intimidating nature – at least on the surface, for no one of them could ever be considered a violent, dangerous character. And so it was that he turned to the last remaining member of Odd Eye. “Minho, we’ll be going down to Orgel University then.”

Minho blinked, cocking his head. Onew had always found it amusing that their designated muscle normally appeared a confused puppy. “To question Sehun?”

“Oh no. To question Tao. However, it is very likely that Sehun will be present or in the vicinity, and it would be of great help to me if you would exercise your ability to look large and threatening.”

Grinning, Minho raised one of his hands and clenched it into a fist. “I don’t think that will be a problem. Now which face do you think is more terrifying?”

“Hmm. The second but do lower your eyebrows…squint a little…”

“You’re making him look constipated,” Jonghyun commented.

“Lee Jinki!”

Onew cackled, dodging Minho’s half-angry, half-affectionate tackle.   

Craning his neck, Minho took a good look at the university campus. He remembered schooling here several years back, when he had been eager and naïve, thinking that a few books on ethics in journalism had taught him all there was to know of the world. When he’d stepped out into the working world as a journalist at the city’s most established newspaper, he’d felt quite untouchable. That hadn’t quite turned out how he’d believed, he thought with grimace.

“Old memories?” Onew commented, stepping smartly onto the curb beside him. Minho started, shaking his head slightly as he took in the sight of well-dressed young men carrying books and papers moving to-and-fro on the manicured lawn.

“Sometimes you still feel bitter,” Minho remarked, “That there is quite so much power nestled at the top to let the truth be concealed and good men get removed from their posts. On the brighter side, we wouldn’t get anywhere without all the contacts I have from then!”   

Onew smiled faintly. “That is certainly a good way of looking at things.”

“And one that you ought to take closer to heart,” Minho said meaningfully. Nodding to himself, Onew continued walking. Minho wasn’t certain if he had heard him. He’d always prided himself as someone who was well aware of people’s natures, and empathetic, and he knew that Onew had not let go entirely of the past, however much he claimed that he was moving past it. It was why he had attempted to impress upon his housekeeper, knowing how fond Onew was of her, to see it so that Onew did not carry it all upon himself.

It hadn’t been easy for him to get over his own hang-ups after he’d been removed with disgrace after his little piece on the unsavoury doings of their esteemed government, but then, he might never have become a part of Odd Eye. He knew how Onew saw it. Perhaps it hadn’t been his fault, but he saw it as his responsibility. But that wasn’t the point. If you took responsibility for every tragedy, one would have to shoulder every horrible thing that others did because you could not stop them. The best you could do was to work hard and be kind and try your hardest to do right in the world, in Minho’s opinion, and eventually you might earn  a happy ending, even if you had to fight off dragons and get lost in dark forests before you could kiss your princess.

Not that he had any princess to kiss yet. And he was not interested in kissing any of the members of Odd Eye, thank you very kindly.

Soon, they found themselves in the university’s corridors, dodging students and professors alike. Some people looked at them strangely, and Onew waved amiably. Minho grasped the arm of a passing teacher, scrutinizing their face sharply and recognizing them. “Professor Kangta!” he cried.

“Oh – Choi Minho? Why, you look so different now!” the older man responded, stopping in his tracks and getting jostled by students. “I do apologize, but I have to get off to class now!”

“Just a moment – do you know a student named Huang Zitao?” Minho asked, releasing his grip.

“Zitao? I just saw him at the library!”

As his old professor disappeared into the crowd, Minho quickly seized a distracted Onew’s arm – who had been about to wander into a crowded classroom and clearly disrupt the lesson by tripping dramatically over someone’s leg – and dragged him towards the campus library. "Oh, found our way, have we?"

"...Yes. Yes,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter