1/1

On the Short Side

You grew up seeing your peers desperate to grow tall. You understood that it had to do with some sort of unspoken rule that women looked better tall, but not too tall, because men had to be much taller than women to look just as good.

It confused you.

After all, height difference just meant a hassle if you tried making out with them.

You have seen couples going at it before and the trouble they went through to mesh mouths seemed too much to you. And you thought that if the person you ended up with — if you ever did date anyone — was much taller than you, you’d hurt your feet standing on tiptoes for too long or they’d need to be strong to hold you up…

You weren’t actually worried about such things, but it was food for thought, and something to consider if you ever felt physical attraction towards anyone.

When you realised you would never grow much more than you current 155 cm, you decided you would probably turn out to be attracted to girls, since that would be easier with your small stature.

Your best friend Daehyun groaned and said that wasn’t how it worked.

He turned out to be right, for once.

Indeed, now that you were feeling such desires for someone, it was clear your heart wouldn’t be dissuaded, regardless of how troublesome it might be.

Nevertheless, you still wanted to check…

You stood on your tiptoes, and found that it made you taller by nine centimetres. Yes, it seemed that while on your toes, a difference of only six centimetres wasn’t much of a setback if you were to date the person you liked: by just moving your face upward while on your tiptoes and the other moving his head down you two could kiss.

And if you didn’t, then your mouth would be on the same level as…

Moon Jongup was beginning to sweat, wondering what the hell was going on. Perhaps the strange actions of this girl from his art class were some femme fatale for squaring off against someone she didn’t like?

Yes, that would make sense: this small girl must have stood on tiptoes to try and threaten Jongup by trying to match his height. And the glances at his mouth rather than his eyes must be to avoid eye contact or something.

And now…now you were staring intently at his neck, and Jongup could feel his hair stand on ends as his instincts told him he was about to get bitten. He hastily put a hand to cover and protect his neck and got into a defensive position.

“Just… What is this about?” he asked.

You shrugged, the intense look in your eyes left to be replaced by your usual contemplative expression. You gave Jongup a nod and simply said, “Perfect.”

Jongup blinked, wondering why he felt like he had passed a test. “What is?”

“You,” you said and walked away.

Jongup was too speechless and flushed with embarassment to remember to ask for what.

 

 

- the end -


a/n: lol