엘리베이터 (Elevator)

엘리베이터 (Elevator)

Jimin wasn’t supposed to be in this situation. 3am on a Monday morning, crying his eyes out to a stranger in a broken down elevator. He also had more alcohol in his system than he should have had for a Sunday night out. Are Sunday night out’s even a thing? Well, I guess they are when you’re unemployed and depressed. And it was all ing Min Yoongi’s fault.

 

Min Yoongi was Jimin’s everything. His past, his present, and his future. All things in Jimin’s life was built and structured around Min Yoongi. They had been together for 5 years. 5 years! Not the longest of relationships but certainly the longest either of them had ever had. Jimin knew it wasn’t very realistic to think that they were going to be together forever but it seemed he was just naïve in that way. He used to stay awake tracing the lines on Yoongi’s sleeping face, dreaming of getting married and adopting children. He was so in love, just a fool in love.

Jimin still remembered every touch, every look they had shared between them.

He remembered when they first met, in a quiet little coffee shop near the hospital. Taehyung had gone and done something stupid again, resulting in a broken arm and 10 stitches. Jimin was squeamish and couldn’t stand the sight of blood (or the way Taehyung’s arm was turned the wrong way around) so he decided to find some caffeine and wait until Tae was all patched up. The coffee was cheap and nasty but it would do. Yoongi walked in, shivering in spite of the fact it was about 30 degrees (celsius) outside. He ordered a black coffee, no sugar and downed the whole thing in one mouthful. Knowing the disgusting taste firsthand, Jimin had a feeling that the stranger mustn’t have been feeling good at all. Jimin, being the super friendly person he is, got up and walked over to the stranger’s table. They ended up talking for hours, bonding quickly. Despite Yoongi’s cold exterior, he was quite talkative and insightful. Just like every clichéd romance movie, they both instantly felt comfortable with each other and Jimin was certain he had fallen in love in that exact moment.

Jimin remembered when he confessed to Yoongi, the way his stomach seemed to be practicing gymnastics with all the flips it was doing. He had planned it all out meticulously, how and when he would say it. However, his plans all fell out the window when he opened to door to a cute gummy smile.

“Hi Ji-“

“I love you” 

Jimin almost slapped himself, his face tomato red with embarrassment.

“Oh, me too”

Yoongi was much more nonchalant but than again he wasn’t one to make a big deal about anything. He kissed Jimin’s cheek and asked what takeout he wanted.

Jimin remembered their first kiss, the sloppy mess of emotions bouncing between their joined lips. Jimin had kissed people before, and this certainly wasn’t his first relationship but the way Yoongi was looking at him was making him nervous. Jimin had never seen him look so passionate about something before and the fact that it was Jimin that he was looking at with this desire made Jimin so anxious that he looked down, breaking the eye contact. Yoongi didn’t let him get away with that, grabbing the younger’s chin gently, lifting his head back up before not so gently smashing his own lips against Jimin’s.

Jimin remembered Yoongi breaking his heart into a million pieces, like all the memories they shared were fake, scenes from a movie that was over. It had come as the worst kind of surprise, there was no warning, no signs that anything in their relationship had changed. Yoongi ended it with a few words, throwing them out into the world with little care.

“Ah, I love you so much”

“I don’t, let’s break up”

If Jimin hadn’t known Yoongi as well as he did, he would definitely have thought Yoongi was joking but unfortunately he knew better. The worst part was the sentence that followed, the one that still haunts Jimin’s days and nights, bringing salty tears to his eyes.

“There’s someone else, I’m damn near sure I love him”

To break up with someone that way was just so cold and spiteful, but it was a perfect match to Yoongi’s personality. He was cold and unfeeling; Jimin had thought he had peeled away that side of Yoongi and had found someone loving and caring. But this just proved he hadn’t, Yoongi wasn’t capable of love.

 

That was 6 months ago, and Jimin wasn’t over it. He hated having to live in his own body. He woke up everyday, wishing upon wish that he had dreamed it all, hoping upon hope that he would wake up in Yoongi’s arms. But it had happened and he was stuck with the aftermath, having to pick up the pieces of himself that Yoongi had carelessly thrown away. Jimin couldn’t even meet his own eyes in the mirror. Because the Jimin that he saw there hadn’t been good enough for Yoongi, hadn’t been enough to make him stay. All it had down was make him run off to some other man. Why wasn’t I good enough?

 

So that’s how Jimin ended up drunk crying to a stranger at 3am in a broken elevator. Well the broken elevator part was something even Jimin wasn’t sure about, the apartment was pretty well kept and he had never experienced the elevator breaking. It just seemed that the world was against him. It was already a pretty night and it just had to get worse. For what it was worth, the stranger was attempting to comfort Jimin, even though he looked pretty uncomfortable himself. He had crouched down next to Jimin, who happened to be curled up in the fetal position, and had rubbed soothing circles onto his back. Now Jimin hadn’t looked up yet, so he had no idea that the stranger was very attractive with dark hair and pale skin, his eyes like the chocolate river from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  

Jimin cried for a while longer, his mind on Yoongi and his hurtful words. After the tears died down, Jimin decided at the moment to open his drowsy eyes and lift his head. He silently cursed the universe for letting him meet this god-like creature under these embarrassing circumstances. The was a moment of silence as Jimin not so subtly checked out the stranger whom he had spent the night, (well morning) basically crying all over.

“I’m J-Jimin” Of course, his voice was shaky and hoarse from the pathetically loud sobbing he had been doing just moments earlier.

“Jungkook” Even after having to put up with Jimin, in a tight space mind you, he still managed a cute smile, bringing out his bunny-like teeth.

“I swear I’m not normally like this, you’ve caught me on a bit of an bad…week”

“I guess I’ll just have to catch you on a good week” Then Jungkook winked. Yes he winked, he ing winked.

So that’s how Jimin ended up flirting with Jungkook in a broken elevator at 3am on a Monday.